Why Does God want Thankfulness?

Tristan Johan

Aug 18, 2011
✟15,422.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Why does God want me to be thankful for my life, when I never wanted to live? For major parts of my life, I haven't wanted to be here, in this reality-construct. I've tried hard, and I never seem to manage to gain momentum to survive successfully. Any positive experiences I've had are just a prelude or set up for worse misery. I not only don't want to live, I wish I could undo my entire existence. I am not thankful. I just hate Him. He gives no peace, no matter what direction I take in life, no matter what feeling I have toward Him (I only ever had negative feelings towards Him, or I'm forcing or tricking myself into attempting to have a positive outlook about Him).

Don't quote scripture to me. It will make me angry. Say what you need to say in your own words.

Last edited:

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Being thankful to God and just having a good, positive attitude not only increases your happiness in the present moment but if maintained will start to create you a better future. God's ways are always a win win scenario. I know, I deal with fear and depression and if it wasn't for the wisdom of God this world would be unbearable for me.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why does God want me to be thankful for my life, when I never wanted to live?
How do you know? How do you know God did not ask you before you were born if you wanted to be tested with this life?

For major parts of my life, I haven't wanted to be here, in this reality-construct. I've tried hard, and I never seem to manage to gain momentum to survive successfully.
What does that mean?

Any positive experiences I've had are just a prelude or set up for worse misery. I not only don't want to live, I wish I could undo my entire existence. I am not thankful.
What would it take to make you want to be thankful?
I just hate Him. He gives no peace, no matter what direction I take in life, no matter what feeling I have toward Him (I only ever had negative feelings towards Him, or I'm forcing or tricking myself into attempting to have a positive outlook about Him).
:) So.. No matter what you felt about God (Bad thoughts or really bad thoughts) you haven't received peace? Have you ever asked God for peace?

Upvote 0

Milan45

Teutonic Order of Knights
Sep 28, 2012
ANTARTICA!!!!!!!
✟7,861.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
He could create you as a lonely guy, living on a street without family, friends, education, food and drinks.He could but He didn't.

“Oh, that men would give thanks to the LORD for His goodness, And for His wonderful works to the children of men! For He satisfies the longing soul, And fills the hungry soul with goodness.” (Psalm 107:8-9)

Everything is by God and we should be thankful. Hope this helped, God bless.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
God wants you to be thankful for your own sake, so you won't be so miserable. But I agree, if all you consider is this life, there is no permanent basis for thankfulness. Every pleasure, every benefit, is fleeting and ends in death. So what's there to be thankful for except by way of self-delusion?

That is why a thankful heart implies faith in God's goodness and His sovereign power that is able to grant us eternal life. We are thankful that through Jesus He has opened the door to life everlasting with Him. That also puts this life in right perspective, because now we see that the trials are for character building, and the pleasures anticipate the bliss He has in store for us. Whether we are abased or abound, it's all to draw us closer to Him.

The only way out of your misery is to believe in God's lovingkindness toward you. He has the power to transform you and your life, but to avail yourself of it you are going to have to turn your attention away from yourself and toward Him.

Reactions: food4thought
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Before anything else- PLEASE do NOT commit suicide. God loves you and cares for you, and we are to be empathetic toward you. I've been through dark times and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. There are reasons to live. Some of us do have many difficulties with which to contend. However, we must keep things in perspective. Some people in this life who have it much worse than I do have a much better outlook than I do. I believe there is a point to everything we go through. Any difficulties I have are helping me on the path of salvation.

Anyway, I second the counseling recommendation. Please get help for your depression. This is critical. If you're suicidal, please call 1-800-suicide and get the help you need.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God wants you to be thankful for your own sake, so you won't be so miserable. But I agree, if all you consider is this life, there is no permanent basis for thankfulness. Every pleasure, every benefit, is fleeting and ends in death. So what's there to be thankful for except by way of self-delusion?

That is why a thankful heart implies faith in God's goodness and His sovereign power that is able to grant us eternal life. We are thankful that through Jesus He has opened the door to life everlasting with Him. That also puts this life in right perspective, because now we see that the trials are for character building, and the pleasures anticipate the bliss He has in store for us. Whether we are abased or abound, it's all to draw us closer to Him.

The only way out of your misery is to believe in God's lovingkindness toward you. He has the power to transform you and your life, but to avail yourself of it you are going to have to turn your attention away from yourself and toward Him.

What he said. I would also second the idea that you seek some biblical counseling.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why does God want me to be thankful for my life, when I never wanted to live? For major parts of my life, I haven't wanted to be here, in this reality-construct. I've tried hard, and I never seem to manage to gain momentum to survive successfully. Any positive experiences I've had are just a prelude or set up for worse misery. I not only don't want to live, I wish I could undo my entire existence. I am not thankful. I just hate Him. He gives no peace, no matter what direction I take in life, no matter what feeling I have toward Him (I only ever had negative feelings towards Him, or I'm forcing or tricking myself into attempting to have a positive outlook about Him).

Don't quote scripture to me. It will make me angry. Say what you need to say in your own words.

Well, God has given you total freewill , so you can choose to keep on rejecting Him or choose to move closer to him in personal relationship . If you choose the former for your life, then you will miss out entirely on finding out your true, real, ultimate reason for living this Earthly life --- you can either concentrate all your efforts on Self or you can decide on your own freewill to give the Creator of the Universe who is also your personal Creator a good portion of the love he has for you , back to him. He wont force you to, he wont coerse you to, for he wants it to be totally on your own volition . The reason why we should give love back to God is because he deserves it, it is correct to do so, it takes the extreme focus off of ourselves , and it ultimately brings us to a place of realizing what our life is truly all about : To love God and grow in knowledge of him which goes into eternity. What could be bigger or more important that that ?

Its up to you how you live your life as God gives us all that choice, but, if you want you life to be deeper, and realize how important you are to God...then it requires a personal surrender of yourself as the center of the universe and putting God in that rightful place. When youre earthly life is over, God will grant what you always wanted while on earth in one of two ways thusly : 1. If you wanted closeness and experience with God, he will grant it much much greater and forever. 2. If you didnt want that and instead desires seperation from God so you could live life YOUR way, then he will grant that as well ... only forever and in a place where it will be ALL ABOUT SELF and Self alone without any people interaction, without any hope of it ending , with deep regret, and without even a minute experience of God in any manner. Hell is simply for people who wanted life to be all about THEMSELVES , so it is unending isolation that is granted ... only without end.

My advice is to immediately stop taking everything for granted including the Sun that rises each morning to precisely warm the earth and give light to half the world at a time , to your own Human Anatomy consisting of some 60 major systems all working in complete unison with each other so you could have opportunity to experience the Creator in a real dynamic way. My advice is also to stop pretending God isnt real, or wont be a final morally accountable Judge , or that he doesnt care about you. For such philosophies are nothing but excuses so One can live totally self centeredly making himself to be 'god' of his own life. Instead, ALLOW GOD TO OWN YOU...because he does anyway., then, seek him hard and with all you have in you putting aside rebellion, rejection, and apathy .

Life i said starting out in this post...its YOUR choice. The ball is in all of our courts. Return the ball (of love) back to God and be very wise. Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

hey I just got done going through a lot of what you are going through. my sight is better than ever. i am amazed, i can't believe this is happening. I only ever wanted one thing. what could I ever even say to you?

don't you dare bow a knee and accept things for how they are!

Upvote 0

Mediaeval

baptizatus sum
Sep 24, 2012
✟29,873.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Your sentiments remind me of what one of the characters in Dostoevsky's wonderful novel The Brothers Karamazov expressed. We all experience this world as a 'vale of tears'. But the sufferings in it are not worthy to be compared to the glorious things God has in store for us. May He grant all of us faith and patience.

Upvote 0