whatever I want to be
Jan 2, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
✟18,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh I see. Well, the thread got bumped. I shall leave it as it is.

Regardless of the op's stance, the general topic itself is worthy of discussion, even after 26 pages. I think there are very few people who actually take the time to read through every single post on such a long thread and fewer still who would begrudge them for not doing so, so it stands to reason that some points will need to be repeated occasionally.

But honestly, being single is not a curse.

I do not think so either though because of the emotional feelings we have as humans it can often feel that way.

Who knows. You might be still young. No one knows. You don't know. Don't take this as a serious issue. Just live and be happy that you're single. Being single is a gift too. Being single is not a curse. It's the time where you can build up your relationship with God and be a great man in Christ. Be strong and courageous.

I very much appreciate your willingness to consider both sides of the coin. Being married can be great and wonderful and I sincerely think God does want some people to be married.

But on the other hand, I feel that celibacy is still the superior option according to our ability to be single minded and make hard decisions.

Even for celibates there will always be the temptation to become involved in the emotional feel good of what roman has to offer, but I feel that this idea of "denying" ones self, whether it be in romance, food, entertainment, or whatever comforts of this life is consistent with what Jesus taught about eternal rewards for those who forgo pleasures in this life.

I don't think it's totally black and white as even Jesus knew how to feast and fast ( he was called a drunkard and an alcoholic at the same time he criticized his disciples for not fasting enough)

Ultimately the decision to remain celibate, (OR to get married) should be based on a strong personal conviction between God and the individual because either way, in the end, it is the individual who will be most affected by it.

Upvote 0

tangled

Oct 7, 2011
✟16,154.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 19:11
The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.” Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given.

WOW.

If you can't accept it, you can't accept it. Period.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

candle glow

whatever I want to be
Jan 2, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
✟18,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 19:11
The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.” Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given.

WOW.

If you can't accept it, you can't accept it. Period.

Extremely relevant point. Thank you for posting it, tangled. As a celibate myself, I can say that the desire for emotional cuddles never really quite leaves any of us alone.

I have several friends who started off as celibates but ended up getting married. Although they've never shared any regrets with me about getting married, they have confided that, after being married for some time, they could see much more clearly the benefits of NOT being married.

While they learned valuable lessons about being responsible and more caring for another person, these lessons are still possible to be learned even without marriage. It's just that the emotional feeling that comes with marriage helps to inspire one to be more motivated about learning what it means to care deeply for another.

We singles don't have that advantage. Despite our emotional state, we are compelled to learn those same lessons, but for EVERYONE regardless of our relationship to them.

This thing about "accept" could be far more common than what the average person may believe. What does it mean to "accept" a teaching like celibacy? How do we determine if we are "able" or not? Only the individual can answer that and that is the beauty of a personal relationship with Jesus.

Upvote 0

Larry Mondello

Frequent poster
Dec 3, 2011
Mayfield, USA
Visit site
✟15,934.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was single and celibate for awhile. I could do it without thinking about women. Largely by isolating myself, though I socialized. I was naturally pretty much introverted anyway, though.
You mean, you lived without sex while not married, right?
Or did you get married?

If you had some sex before marriage, I understand totally.... It's hard to resist the temptation..

There's a difference in living sexually responsibly (when single) than aiming to be celibate forever...

I also think the topic is worthy of discussion.

I'm currently debating whether to remain celibate (forever)...I'm not 100% sure it's what I need to do but I'm feeling called to it.
That's admirable, as women usually have more opportunities (for romance and sex) than men.
Just read the posts on other relationship boards from the "older virgin" shy males in their late 20s, 30s and 40s...

Has it been hard resisting temptation into your mid-20s?
I didn't have any problem during college and attempted to live a chaste life after having sex early (17 in HS) before I became of faith my first year in college.

Living as a semi-virgin wasn't that hard for a couple of years after college, but once I started getting close to 30, a lonely single guy who Christian women didn't even know I existed, things looked different and "panicked" and took advantage of some "opportunities" I regret..
But I read that's entirely normal among Christian men...
God did create sex after all and He certainly knows our struggles with this...

Last edited:
Upvote 0