Why does God permit things no matter how wicked?

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So, this is basically the Problem of Evil. As you can see, Christians come to threads like these and offer all kinds of excuses as to why the world is the way it is and why God would allow such things. I use the word "excuses" here deliberately, because that's what they are. No one who has posted a Bible verse in response to the OP can possibly know the answer to this. No one can know the mind of God. There's a reason for that...

The solution to the Problem of Evil is to remove the gods. Without gods in the mix for people to ask such questions of the world as it is makes perfect sense.

More concisely, the Problem of Evil asks why, if there is an omnibenevolent god watching over us and interacting with us, is evil allowed to exist? Not just the evil of men, but natural evils. The deaths of clearly innocent creatures by horrible circumstances whose own freewill has nothing to do with the evil perpetrated against them. The answer is that there are no gods watching and interacting with us.

This is a huge factor in why I'm an atheist.

It would probably also be a lot easier to drive if you could ignore stop signs and red lights. But there are consequences for that kind of thing.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"I created something very good and awesome, but it is temporal and for this life only. So pursue it now while you can. But in the meantime, I have allowed Satan to break free and wreak his destruction of all that I made. The family will be destroyed, the genders will be destroyed, and it will be unable to be rectified. But despite my hatred of it, I must allow it to happen. And at the time when it finally does get better, this world itself will be snuffed out anyway. You may not be able to have that awesome stuff you said you wanted so much in this life even if Satan wreaks destruction upon it in society, but at least you'll only get to walk with Jesus."
That is extremely sarcastic. No it is more like " I created angels and man and told the angels to worship you but one angel was jealous and thought you were a lowlife and refused so I sent him to earth. Then I forbid you to do something and you chose to listen to that wicked angel so I had to send you away from me because I am holy so you are now under that angel since you chose him over me and you and yours will be punished for 5 and a half days but I will make a way out for you. The angel does not get to come back but you can- the choice is yours. The angel will hate you even more for this and will try to destroy each and every one of you to try to win my favor again but he sealed his fate when he mated with you creating Nephilim who now walk the earth as evil spirits. Once the 51/2 days are up I will judge everyone and those who had faith and refused that angel and loved me with all their heart and soul and mind can come to where you were intended to be in the first place. You will have a mansion with your name on the door, fully furnished and we will be a family but only if you seek the things of Me and not him."

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟242,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It would probably also be a lot easier to drive if you could ignore stop signs and red lights. But there are consequences for that kind of thing.

I know what stop signs and red lights are, their purpose, who made them and who enforces those rules. I can even show you a picture.
STOP_sign.jpg

082919-red-light-fts.jpg

Who or what is "god"? Where is it? Can you show me a picture? Who enforces "God's law" and who gives whomever that is the authority to do so? What are the real-life consequences of ignoring it? Do you have any evidence of those consequences specifically? Anybody ever get a ticket for it?

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know what stop signs and red lights are, their purpose, who made them and who enforces those rules. I can even show you a picture.
STOP_sign.jpg

082919-red-light-fts.jpg

Who or what is "god"? Where is it? Can you show me a picture? Who enforces "God's law" and who gives whomever that is the authority to do so? What are the real-life consequences of ignoring it? Do you have any evidence of those consequences specifically? Anybody ever get a ticket for it?

Countless people, in this life and the next.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Ok here is the thing. We say God bless America, but why would he? We have taken everything God detests and promoted it as part of our culture. Lust, greed, wealth, violence, Vanity, jealousy, pride, arrogance, godlessness, idols, theft, cheating, etc. Our entertainment industries worship satan and our government has a " pentagon". The middle east calls us the great satan so why would God think twice about our election?
History reveals America has responded the same way Israel did towards God, when He blessed them. Both revered God for a while, then they turned their back to Him.

When God prospers a nation, the people thank Him for a season then they turn to idolatry and worship the creation instead of the Creator. More people turn to God when they suffer persecution and affliction, then in times of peace and prosperity.

God uses the schemes of Satan and wicked men to bring about His will, we see a great falling away in the Church. "Christians" are embracing and affirming every kind of wicked lifestyle, they twist God's Word and set themselves up as the final authority over all things. The man centered gospel is very popular, as it preaches that God just loves everyone no matter how they live or what they do.

God is still building His church, in spite of all the attacks of the enemy. He will save every last person who's name was written in the book of life, before the foundations of the world were laid.

Upvote 0

Pamela_123

Nov 19, 2020
Katy
✟8,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is somewhat about the election. I don't care personally who you voted for personally, but my opinion I'll leave at for right now is that it looks like evil is winning again by how I see it developing so far. America is continuing to slip into an authoritarian state (mostly the left) and traditional Conservative, libertarian, or even "centrist" (from 1970s or so) America is perpetually screwed. Once again, I don't care whether you are more right or left, I'm just writing my own opinion. There are also certain other places I could've posted that are locked to me, unfortunately.

Why does God allow things that are so fragile, that cannot be redone or replaced, to be destroyed? I know that it says that there are both good and evil people in the world, but the evil people in a way are getting more "clout" so it's not an equal-proportioned "ying-yang" situation. The world I see with my eyes is unfair and biased. God created this, but he ceded it to Satan, allows and watches Satan burn his creation. It's like telling somebody "I have a very expensive car and I don't want anyone to hurt it or I'll be very angry at them" but just gives up and watches his car be beaten and devoured until its all shredded anyway and what was done was done. There are also divorces and broken families caused or influenced by Satan.

Don't say "Well, when you die here you will get to be with Jesus", I think that it's rather anti-climactic that we exist and witness the state of the world become worse and worse only for it to be (supposedly) done away with in the last minute because it is supposed to be "temporal". And on that note too, the damage already influenced by Satan and performed by his minions here on Earth is already finished to the point where everything once good has been perverted into literal Hell, so in some way to a degree, the consequences still get to stay.

I hope I'm not considered to be mocking things, which is not my intention, but I just want to say this stuff.

"He says, 'Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.'" Psalms 46:10

The election result disappointed me as well. But we have to remember that God is on the throne. We also have to realize the times we are living in. Jesus is coming soon. God uses people, no matter who they are or what we think of them, to do his will. He used Donald Trump to move the embassy to Jerusalem. Now he may use Biden for other things in the times to come. By studying the books of the prophets, we can infer that before Jesus comes to take his believers, there will be a great revival. And as Christians we have a big role in that event. Even in our world where evil seems to prevail in every aspect, we can continue to shine the light of God to this dying world so that when Jesus comes, there will be a plentiful harvest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Childofgodharrison

Aug 27, 2018
Abilene
✟34,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is somewhat about the election. I don't care personally who you voted for personally, but my opinion I'll leave at for right now is that it looks like evil is winning again by how I see it developing so far. America is continuing to slip into an authoritarian state (mostly the left) and traditional Conservative, libertarian, or even "centrist" (from 1970s or so) America is perpetually screwed. Once again, I don't care whether you are more right or left, I'm just writing my own opinion. There are also certain other places I could've posted that are locked to me, unfortunately.

Why does God allow things that are so fragile, that cannot be redone or replaced, to be destroyed? I know that it says that there are both good and evil people in the world, but the evil people in a way are getting more "clout" so it's not an equal-proportioned "ying-yang" situation. The world I see with my eyes is unfair and biased. God created this, but he ceded it to Satan, allows and watches Satan burn his creation. It's like telling somebody "I have a very expensive car and I don't want anyone to hurt it or I'll be very angry at them" but just gives up and watches his car be beaten and devoured until its all shredded anyway and what was done was done. There are also divorces and broken families caused or influenced by Satan.

Don't say "Well, when you die here you will get to be with Jesus", I think that it's rather anti-climactic that we exist and witness the state of the world become worse and worse only for it to be (supposedly) done away with in the last minute because it is supposed to be "temporal". And on that note too, the damage already influenced by Satan and performed by his minions here on Earth is already finished to the point where everything once good has been perverted into literal Hell, so in some way to a degree, the consequences still get to stay.

I hope I'm not considered to be mocking things, which is not my intention, but I just want to say this stuff.
Short answer: All this wicked stuff happens because this is a wicked world. God allows it because he gave us a soul, and we have to be put through the fire to get all of the wickedness out of us. We can't be with him forever unless all of the wickedness is gone. Until you are surely not to turn and go bad.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Things would seem that way, yes. Even moreso if you study the cultural norms of ancient Rome. Looking at some of the norms of ancient Rome that were eventually ended by Christianity, and the recent rise in those norms in modern society makes one believe that Christianity has lost its grip on society and is in retreat. Take homosexuality and abortion for example. Both were widespread and common in ancient Rome, but were eventually ended by the Church. With that in mind, look at this:

2Th 2:7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only He who now restrains will do so until He is taken out of the way.

That can describe most any particular time in history. It may be a single event or it may be an ebb and flow of that restraint being taken out of the way throughout history. Then again:

Rev 20:7 Now when the thousand years have expired, Satan will be released from his prison

Rev 20:8 and will go out to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth...

All those norms of ancient Rome that were ended by the Church, but are now becoming even moreso widespread in modern society, is enough to think that something has in fact been taken out of the way, or that Satan has been released from his prison and is deceiving the nations.

Worse yet. "As in the days of Noah...." Everything was corrupted; man, animals, even the earth itself.

Upvote 0

Childofgodharrison

Aug 27, 2018
Abilene
✟34,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. I use the word Christian because it is the word that most use. I refer to myself as a believer in Christ. Or one of the called out ones. 2. Satan did touch Job, he was told not to kill him. 3. No he can't approach God unless he is allowed. We are human he most definitely do approach us.
4. Paul had a demon that tormented him. The devil was with Peter when he denied that he knew Jesus. It doesn't matter how Holy you think you are the devil will test you. He test the believers more than the unbelievers, because he already have the unbelievers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums