Why Does God Not Reveal Himself More Obviously If He Wants All to Be Saved?

Fortran

Oct 10, 2013
Rural Missouri, United States
✟12,374.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

According to Scripture, God wants all men to be saved. We are also told in the opening chapter of Romans that God, in some way, shape, or form, has revealed Himself to all men. However, in the OT, we read about how God parted seas, rained manna from Heaven, executed fearful judgment on nations and individuals, and generally made His presence quite evident.

If we are perfectly honest, God does not seem so 'obvious' now, to the point that some may ask - where is God? I understand faith is important, but take the "father of faith" (Abraham) for example. God revealed Himself very plainly to Abraham. It was not believing in a deity Whose existence was not explicit that was commendable, but rather Abraham's belief that God was able and willing to perform what He said. Why do you think God does not commonly reveal Himself as He did to Abraham in this day and age? Even if it was absolutely physically explicit that God existed (as in He spoke to everyone), faith would still be important, would it not?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You, Fortran are on the right track asking questions like that!
The narrative begs so many questions and this is one of them.
First, I can tell you are assuming that those not "saved" will be tortured for eternity. That really does change everything.
How could anyone watch as a child of theirs fell off a cliff and sit back watching saying "well, they saw the edge...I warned them...they got too close. Oh well such a shame". Well, really? Is that what the creator thinks when someone dies without saying the sinners prayer? Too bad, so sad. Really?

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...Why do you think God does not commonly reveal Himself as He did to Abraham in this day and age?

I have understood that God has always good reason for anything He does. If He don’t do same thing now, it is probably because it would not lead to better situation. It is not useful to show miracles, if it doesn’t make people righteous. The goal in this life seems to be that people become righteous. For that, Bible can be enough. If person don’t receive the message now, he would probably not do it, even if it would be told directly by God to the person.

• Winner
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

theniceiceman

May 8, 2015
✟15,762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've wondered this same thing! People in the Bible, OT and NT--they spoke DIRECTLY to God. Like, they would speak to Him aloud, with words, and He would answer them back--with words! Words that they could hear! In this day and age, if we heard God speak, I think it's safe to say that it would shock any one of us. We'd think we were hearing voices, going crazy.

In some respects, I think the people in the Bible had it easy (easier than we do in this regard, I mean). When I read about people doubting God's ability to do something--give them a child, provide them with food, heal them--I'm like, seriously? He's RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, you've seen what He can do, you've SPOKEN to Him, and still you doubt His abilities?

I don't know why God doesn't make it 'obvious' that He exists these days. Maybe the Bible and 'word-of-mouth' from others is meant to be enough.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, God spoke to me on at least two occasions, in words that I did not hear with my ears. In both cases, He was lining me out about my life or warning me off from a really bad decision. The advice was was firm, but friendly - with NO condemnation. I suppose He knew that I would follow His advice, and I did, saving myself from a world of hurt.

Upvote 0

theniceiceman

May 8, 2015
✟15,762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, God spoke to me on at least two occasions, in words that I did not hear with my ears. In both cases, He was lining me out about my life or warning me off from a really bad decision. The advice was was firm, but friendly - with NO condemnation. I suppose He knew that I would follow His advice, and I did, saving myself from a world of hurt.

That's awesome! I've never had that sort of experience, that I can recognize. Frankly, I never know what's from God, what's a coincidence, what's my own over-thinking, et cetera. I love how you say it was friendly and that there was no condemnation. Such a wonderful image of what God is like :)

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God is hiding in strange places but hard for most of us to notice. but it is good that we are so blind and cold from him so we can show him how we are like when it is almost as if he is not and as if we are also not. the more we can increase the more receptive we can be to God. if we can empty ourselves enough maybe Gods voice would become louder. most of us don't notice the angels and demons but they are there and we pick if we wanna be like the good ones or the bad all the time.

spiritual reality is more primal and real than the outer flesh is, though the flesh is real too. the basic reality we exist in and perceive to be real is symbolic in nature, I mean that everything is symbols for an even more real reality that we are in though we are for the most part unaware of it.

I recently found this youtube channel which deals with the writings of swedenborg who had visions of heaven and stuff like that.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK, God parted the sea, guided them with a pillar of fire, provided water in a dry land, so all 2 million people should have enter the Promise Land?

If they do not enter the Promise Land, how does God reveling Himself to them help them?

Why did it not seem to help them?

Is man’s objective while here on earth: “to acknowledge the existence of God”?

Faith (trust) in the existence of God is something the lowliest mature adult on earth can do (so it is a humbling experience), but does knowledge tend to puff a person up?

If you obtain knowledge of something will that encourage you to grow your faith or try harder to increase your knowledge?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PsychoeDial

God Return To And Bless America
Mar 10, 2016
Tokyo
✟11,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well let's see. God created all that we know to be this world and nature and of course the human race. His word says that nature insures we have no excuse to not then know of his existence. He sent his only son who's teachings have lasted 2000+ years and the faithful have erected churches with steeples that point toward Heaven. He wrote a book telling us where to find him. Miracles both in the past and even in contemporary times have happened and in the midst of prayer circles, church services, bedside hospital vigils, etc...

Not to mention prophecies in his book have come true.
What else do you want to show the world God is?
Those who refuse to believe are part of God's plan too. :) All works according to his will.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

According to Scripture, God wants all men to be saved. We are also told in the opening chapter of Romans that God, in some way, shape, or form, has revealed Himself to all men. However, in the OT, we read about how God parted seas, rained manna from Heaven, executed fearful judgment on nations and individuals, and generally made His presence quite evident.

If we are perfectly honest, God does not seem so 'obvious' now, to the point that some may ask - where is God? I understand faith is important, but take the "father of faith" (Abraham) for example. God revealed Himself very plainly to Abraham. It was not believing in a deity Whose existence was not explicit that was commendable, but rather Abraham's belief that God was able and willing to perform what He said. Why do you think God does not commonly reveal Himself as He did to Abraham in this day and age? Even if it was absolutely physically explicit that God existed (as in He spoke to everyone), faith would still be important, would it not?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I don't think God was as visible during OT times as you think. Those were special miraculous occasions, really God has shown Himself in this way only during the time of Moses and Joshua, and later with Elijah and Elisha, and then with Jesus. It was not the norm.

Jesus was very visible, right in front of people, healing and performing other miracles. And yet many hated and rejected Him! You can give a man all the evidence in the world but you cannot change his sinful heart. Only God can do that, and that is what God has been doing for those whom He has saved.

Romans 1:20 tells us that no one has an excuse. Everyone has sufficient evidence of God from the Creation around them. People don't reject God for lack of evidence, but due to a sinful heart that hates Him.

And today we can see God, and hear from God, and see His glory, in His Scriptures!

We can trust the Scriptures more than what we see. You know what the Apostle Peter wrote? He had witnessed Jesus' glorious transfiguration, and yet he says the Scriptures are more sure than what he had seen with his own eyes!

Look at 2 Peter 1:

16 For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty.17 For when he received honour and glory from God the Father, and the voice was borne to him by the Majestic Glory, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased”,18 we ourselves heard this very voice borne from heaven, for we were with him on the holy mountain.19 And we have something more sure, the prophetic word, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts,20 knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation.21 For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Peter says the Scriptures are more sure than what he had seen with his own eyes! What a precious gift from God we have!

If you're struggling with doubt, if you're wondering where God is, then dive into His Holy Scriptures and dig for the treasures that lie within. We can see and marvel at the wondrous glories of God in it, and be fully convinced of God's existence, His redemptive plan through Jesus Christ who bore the punishment we deserved, and be fully assured of the incredible things He has planned for those who love Him, eternal life with Him, immeasurable joy and gladness in the presence of the living God!

• Winner
Upvote 0

Dianna*

Apr 8, 2016
London
✟7,646.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Great that you are adressing this issue.I could provide some eye opening info,but only if you want to look for it out of your own free will.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The answer is "because of the heart of man".
In former times, He showed Himself to His people in dramatic ways and yet they still rebelled, so it would not be any different today.
Besides, the point of salvation has more to do with ones heart and intent than beliefs and practices. You don't need proof of God to love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As bling and Shempster said, God has proven that if the Israelites, who saw more of His miraculous power then any other generation save Adam still murmured and complained and rebelled against God, then why would we think we would react any differently to Him in greater revelation now. The problem is our sinful, carnal hearts... the Bible says that our hearts are wicked and that we are naturally at enmity against God.

Don't think that most of the professing Christian world would not choose their own fleshly desires over Him. The Bible is very clear on this...

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If we are perfectly honest, God does not seem so 'obvious' now, to the point that some may ask - where is God? I understand faith is important, but take the "father of faith" (Abraham) for example. God revealed Himself very plainly to Abraham.

I prefer to be blessed.

28 Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"29 Jesus said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed."

Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟47,348.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm rather disappointed in the answers so far. I read hoping to learn something.
The big fallacy seems to be everyone assumes something terrible is going to happen to everyone who doesn't believe in the right way. Most of the Bible teaches that what matters is how we live. What is important about God is that He judges everything fairly, so He will take into account the limitations placed upon each particular individual that limits how well he can believe and act. God will not punish people for not believing in Him if circumstances of that person's life have not determined life satisfactorily.
The very question put here puts the blame on God. God won't punish us for what's His "fault".

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm rather disappointed in the answers so far. I read hoping to learn something.
The big fallacy seems to be everyone assumes something terrible is going to happen to everyone who doesn't believe in the right way. Most of the Bible teaches that what matters is how we live. What is important about God is that He judges everything fairly, so He will take into account the limitations placed upon each particular individual that limits how well he can believe and act. God will not punish people for not believing in Him if circumstances of that person's life have not determined life satisfactorily.
The very question put here puts the blame on God. God won't punish us for what's His "fault".

Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed. 29

Hebrews 11
1Now faith is the assurance of what we hope for and the certainty
of what we do not see.
2This is why the ancients were commended.
3By faith we understand that the universe was formed by God’s
command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

Romans 8:24
For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all.
Who hopes for what they already have?

2 Corinthians 5:7
For we live by faith, not by sight.

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities
--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being
understood from what has been made, so that people
are without excuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: tucker58
Upvote 0