Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

This is just a talking point, that proves I've read the Bible from a critical point of view.

The question is this:
Why does God not introduce a *new* forbidden fruit?

I don't want to prejudice the conversation, so I will wait to see how people approach this question, before writing further.

If you need something to go on, maybe question:
  • how forbidden is "forbidden"?
  • when did forbidden apply?
  • are their variations of forbidden?
I look forward to seeing your answers, soon!

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are dozens of 'forbidden fruits' around. Greed, pride, gluttony, idolatry, drunkenness, anger, lust, etc. God didn't need to test mankind with fruit anymore for we are no longer innocent and the flesh now craves forbidden fruit.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

This is just a talking point, that proves I've read the Bible from a critical point of view.

The question is this:

I don't want to prejudice the conversation, so I will wait to see how people approach this question, before writing further.

We can be presented with forbidden fruit anytime. All sin is forbidden, while all sin looks appealing-or else we wouldn't want it.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,530.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

Why you you feel the need to prove that you have read the Bible from a "critical point of view"?

In answer to your question; if God forbids something, it is forbidden.
If he tells one of us not to do something, then we mustn't do it - even if others are allowed to do the same thing.

Upvote 0

David2019

Jan 3, 2020
Utrecht
✟31,309.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi there,

The question is this:

I believe God used the original forbidden fruit to test mankind's (Adam's) love for God. He created us with free will to choose either for Him or against Him, otherwise we would have been robots programmed to forcefully love God (and that isn't really love at all).

God knew Adam would break the covenant and eat from the forbidden fruit, but he still wanted to give him an opportunity to choose eternal life (eating from the tree of life). After Adam had broken his covenant with God, he and all of his offspring (that's us) lost the right to access and eat from the tree of life without being incinerated by the cherubim's flaming sword (genesis 3:24). Jesus took the flaming sword of judgment on Calvary in our place so that we could access God's presence (the Garden of Eden) again without risking instant death.

Boiled down, Adam's sin was essentially unbelief in God's warning that he would die the moment after he ate the forbidden fruit. Today, we have the choice to believe in God's warning that we must repent and belief in the atoning work of Jesus Christ to receive eternal life or not believe it and perish (eating the forbidden fruit).

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Why you you feel the need to prove that you have read the Bible from a "critical point of view"?

There's no need to do that, I just thought it was harmless: a sort of trophy for the Holy Spirit to celebrate (He was the inspiration, after all).

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The first man and woman couldnt resist the temptation first time around despite living in the garden of eden with God. Why do you think God should introduce a new stumbling block when we (mankind) failed so dismally the first time he did that?

• Prayers
Reactions: Gottservant
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

The question is this:

The forbidden fruit ... was only the first of many temptations.

Since Adam and Eve, every human creature (save Christ) ... has amply proven our willingness to disobey God ...

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The first man and woman couldnt resist the temptation first time around despite living in the garden of eden with God. Why do you think God should introduce a new stumbling block when we (mankind) failed so dismally the first time he did that?
... and have failed to obey God in so many ways since then ?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,530.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We need one to get us back, to paradise?

Jesus has reconciled us to God and made eternal life, and heaven, possible.
No forbidden fruit could do that - if God has forbidden something, he doesn't want us to do it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

The question is this:

In the beginning God gave Adam and Eve only one law, not to eat from a tree filled with forbidden fruit. It only took one fruit to open up a plethora of "new" laws that revealed what else is forbidden .

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
There's no need to do that, I just thought it was harmless: a sort of trophy for the Holy Spirit to celebrate (He was the inspiration, after all).
It certainly didn't sound like a trophy for the Holy Spirit, but....

So you ascribe your beliefs to the Holy Spirit --therefore without error in their conclusions, and beyond reproach? Be careful.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,117.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
All sin is forbidden, while all sin looks appealing-or else we wouldn't want it.
Yes, because all sin is simply putting our own will ahead of the will of God. We are a self serving, self indulgent species much like our fellow mammals. We rejected the connection with God that set us aside and became masters of our own fates. Today we have 7.5 billion masters vying for self interest, often at the expense of each other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,117.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why do you think God should introduce a new stumbling block when we (mankind) failed so dismally the first time he did that?
In fact we became our own stumbling block. No need to add to what we perfected.

Upvote 0