Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a popular question among non-believers and a reason why many claim there is no God. Or, why they believe in another God or religion such as Buddhism which explains this away as "karma". But as a Christian, what do you think is the reason God allows suffering?

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This is a popular question among non-believers and a reason why many claim there is no God. Or, why they believe in another God or religion such as Buddhism which explains this away as "karma". But as a Christian, what do you think is the reason God allows suffering?
God gave Earth to Adam, the Earth was cursed because of Adam.

Suffering occurs as it does because there isn't sufficient faith on the earth for God's will to be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Suffering occurs because of Adam and all of the descendants.

Reactions: Romans 8
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

One of my favorite subjects. It's like "the problem of evil".

It's best answered with the question "how do you know suffering exists"? If someone feels that they are suffering because they have a cold, what does that say of a man who has the flu?

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Book of Job deals with the issue of why the innocent suffer.

God Himself saw His own Son suffer and die.

Have you asked Him to explain your concerns to you?

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God gave Earth to Adam, the Earth was cursed because of Adam.

Suffering occurs as it does because there isn't sufficient faith on the earth for God's will to be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Suffering occurs because of Adam and all of the descendants.

Bud God knew that Adam would fail. He knew that Jesus would do His work on the cross. So He planned for suffering. Correct?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Bud God knew that Adam would fail. He knew that Jesus would do His work on the cross. So He planned for suffering. Correct?
I would say, stand outside of time for a little bit, and then revise your question.

However, since neither of us can do that, thus the question.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you don't mind, I'll answer your question with a question of my own and then proceed from there, if you're willing. Since your topic is suffering, why do you suppose the people described in Heb 11:35-39 chose to suffer much instead of obtaining their release?

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So that created persons have a means of learning Love. It would seem that, for us, there is no Love without suffering.

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you don't mind, I'll answer your question with a question of my own and then proceed from there, if you're willing. Since your topic is suffering, why do you suppose the people described in Heb 11:35-39 chose to suffer much instead of obtaining their release?

To suffer for Christ is an honor. A chance to demonstrate their faith and to grow closer to God.

• Agree
Reactions: Haydee
Upvote 0

Unnamed Guy

Nov 27, 2018
Los Algodones, CA
✟20,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
God is the God of rightness, not niceness. If you kick a curb, your foot will hurt because God designed it that way so you will avoid kicking things.

"Suffering" can mean a lot of things, but none of them can be blamed on God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

"Planned for" and "caused" are two different categories!

Is the question more "What is the purpose for suffering?"
Or "Where did evil come from?"

Those themselves are two different questions with two different answers.

• Winner
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Planned for" and "caused" are two different categories!

Is the question more "What is the purpose for suffering?"
Or "Where did evil come from?"

Those themselves are two different questions with two different answers.

It's two heads of the same coin. Answer as you prefer.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
To be honest, to me God doesn't seem too concerned about the animal He put His spirit into. The spirit has always been the focus. We are all food for something else regardless of species. As for the harm we inflict upon each other, that is the result of following the nature of the flesh over the will of God, putting self interest before selflessness. We were ejected from the Garden and placed here to suffer the consequences of such self serving thinking and perhaps learn whose will actually is better to follow. Jesus even sweetened the deal with the Kingdom for those who reject the will of man, but even then the flesh must suffer and perish like any other creature in earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My answer to non believers below, isn't the same as I'd answer to a believer, who already knows more.

This is the better way to answer to a non believer:

We know suffering is only natural -- "For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust." ...but that opens some big questions. Why should there be *any* suffering? Why do innocents suffer? We eventually can even begin to see it's just as grievous that someone suffers at age 14 or 54 as at age 2....

So, the broad question: Why does God allow suffering? -- It's a deep question, because we don't want to be protected so that life is like living in a padded cell...

Then so we ask: Why did God form Nature in such a way so that suffering is likely, will happen? Some even ask: Why not form nature to be perfectly free of suffering to begin with?

I think the answer may be physical life with the natural pain and joy of being alive awakens our soul's empathy, compassion and truer love.....

More, it may be that life here -- living and dying -- *is* the real experience to have. It's one you'd want to have had if you are living for eternity. You want to have had real experience of beingness, joy, pain, love, and the value of being alive, by living and dying, so that you have the more full joy of the Life that is coming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
But as a Christian, what do you think is the reason God allows suffering?

My take on this has many facets of the same truth, and they all have their answers in Christ.

First, it continually reminds us that we are fallen people living in a fallen world. This is a sobering truth that God confronts us with everyday, that we may feel our need for him. Many people, instead of accepting this, come to very wrong conclusions as to why suffering exists and how they should respond. It can vary from one person to another, but a common one is that suffering exists because we don't have some sort of external/materialistic advantage in life and that if we change this it will change our problems, that things will be better. Who looks for a doctor when they feel well and good? God employs our own pain and suffering to draw our attention to him.

Also, believers never graduate from this school in this life, it is one of the ordained means to bring us closer to himself, and to rest our whole trust in his sovereign care instead of ourselves.

My mind is scattered right now, so I am having a hard time finishing this post, my apologies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟760,777.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Christ suffered for us and a servant is not above their master.

We learn obedience through suffering Hebrews 5:8

Our faith is refined when it is tried and put to the test with suffering and loss James 1:2-4

1 Corinthians 15:58

blessings

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
One important reason is that suffering strengthens the people of God.

2 Corinthians 12:8-10
Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Much of what is called suffering is just a state of mind. I grew up rather poor, but because most of my friends were also poor, we didn't really know we were poor...so we had great fun as kids.

That aside, suffering is mostly self-inflicted by doing wrong things (or things wrong), or being wronged by someone. It's like the guy hitting himself in the head with a hammer. He wouldn't suffer so much if he would just...stoppit!

Adopting God's principles for living is the best way to mitigate suffering. In fact He give us the choice: His way, or the way that leads to suffering.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To suffer for Christ is an honor. A chance to demonstrate their faith and to grow closer to God.
Yes I concur with your answer. I don't think though that embracing or even willingness to submit to suffering is the typical Christian mindset, at least in the Western hemisphere. The reason I cited Heb 11 is that why wouldn't those in that chapter prefer to be released and instead endure more torture, flogging, imprisonment and even death itself? The passage itself gives the answer in that they might obtain a "better resurrection." So at least for the believer, one suffers in order that he/she might obtain a better resurrection. The pertinent question then becomes what is the better resurrection?

"Better resurrection" in v.35 implies more than one resurrection. Is one resurrection good, but the other resurrection better? And if so, what are the requirements of attaining to a better resurrection?
Rev 20:4
Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

Question: Is the "better resurrection" cited in Heb 11:35 the same event as "came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years" described in Rev 20:4? In both scenarios, the saints suffered even to the point of martyrdom and death. We do know that when Jesus returns to gather his church, the dead in Christ will rise first. If so, giving up one's life (figuratively) possibly even to the point of death (literally) are the requirements for attaining to the better resurrection. When Christians figuratively die by dying to themselves, crucifying their desires/flesh in this life and suffer, they are rewarded with a better resurrection in the age to come which is the millennial reign of Christ on earth. Pain and suffering in this world is rewarded with a better resurrection in the next age.

So do all genuine believers automatically obtain a better resurrection?
The Apostle Paul wrote the following in Phil 3:11-12
10to know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, 11if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from out of dead. 12Not that already I have obtained it or already have been perfected, but I am pursuing, if also I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hold of it. But one thing indeed: Forgetting the things behind and reaching forward to the things ahead, 14I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward calling of God in Christ Jesus. (BLB)

Notice that Paul wrote that he had not yet obtained/attained to the resurrection from out of dead. He also described reaching his goal as a prize - not a gift. Thus it is unlikely that Paul was referring to his gift of salvation but to something else instead that he referred to as the "resurrection from out of dead." This term is translated from the Greek "exanastasis." The regular Greek word for “resurrection” appearing throughout the New Testament is anastasis. This different word exanastasis is made up of three parts (ex-ana-stasis). The latter two parts of the word (ana-stasis), means “to rise up,” or “to stand up.” But the preposition ex (from ek) prefixed to anastasis adds a new dimension. The first part, ex (the form that “ek” takes when prefixed to words beginning with a vowel) means “out of,” making exanastasis mean “to stand up out of [out-resurrection].” Exanastasis occurs only once in the NT in this verse and differentiates itself from all other occurrences of resurrection mentioned in the NT.

Only those Christians who have persevered and have overcome the world, the flesh and Satan will partake in the exanastasis. This is the first resurrection referred to earlier in Rev 20:4 and further described in Rev 20:5-6:
5The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended. This is the first resurrection. 6Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him for a thousand years.
My thought is that all Christians do not automatically qualify for the first resurrection. Paul stated that he had not yet attained it. Those who suffer and persevere through it do qualify so my guess is that suffering does have a greater purpose in our lives in that we would co-reign with Christ in the age to come.

• Informative
Upvote 0