Why does God allow bad stuff to happen to some people?

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This isn't an attack on God. I acknowledge He is sovereign. So I'm not questioning Him I'm just wondering why.

I was talking to my friend last night and she suffered severe physical and sexual abuse from her family and said she'll probably be in therapy for the rest of her life. That made me so incredibly sad to hear.

I still remember my friend from 7th grade who told me dad molested her, a girl from my old job was also sexually abused and no one believed her, I have another friend that dealt with the same thing and a guy friend that was physically abused by his mentally ill mom.

While it makes me appreciate I haven't been abused and I thank God bc I don't have the strength and I'm not strong like them.

I just wonder why. Physical and sexusl abuse is so common.. I just feel sad.

I just wonder why was ai protected and not them?

Yes some people are evil and we all have free will but there are things outside of our control.. we can't choose our family and we can't choose where we're born.

So I just wonder why. This may seem like an age old question but.. I still wonder.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
This isn't an attack on God. I acknowledge He is sovereign. So I'm not questioning Him I'm just wondering why.

I was talking to my friend last night and she suffered severe physical and sexual abuse from her family and said she'll probably be in therapy for the rest of her life. That made me so incredibly sad to hear.

I still remember my friend from 7th grade who told me dad molested her, a girl from my old job was also sexually abused and no one believed her, I have another friend that dealt with the same thing and a guy friend that was physically abused by his mentally ill mom.

While it makes me appreciate I haven't been abused and I thank God bc I don't have the strength and I'm not strong like them.

Yes some people are evil and we all have free will but there are things outside of our control.. we can't choose our family and we can't choose where we're born.

So I just wonder why. This may seem like an age old question but.. I still wonder.
If they overcome, then their crown of suffering becomes a very powerful testimony that then becomes an eternal crown of glory in the next life.

Certain things in the life to come can only be gained or attained only through and by suffering in this life.

Thank God it does not last very long in the very long light of eternity, etc.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

You were probably kept from it because you couldn't handle it, etc.

God Bless!

Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Try to keep in mind that with the people that you are right now seeing, or are right now knowing just yet, that you are also not seeing the 100% finished or complete work/product just yet, ok.

God Bless!

• Winner
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
@Macchiato

And I also believe that, that even with the ones that are not seeming to handle it so well, or are not seeming to make it just yet, that there will still be a crown of eternal glory laid up for them that both we, and maybe even they, are just not seeing, or are just not able to fully see just yet.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
@Macchiato

And I also believe that, that even with the ones that are not seeming to handle it so well, or are not seeming to make it just yet, that there will still be a crown of eternal glory laid up for them that both we, and maybe even they, are just not seeing, or are just not able to fully see just yet.

God Bless!
@Macchiato

We must all endure with patient perseverance maintaining in our faith that God is good (and is right, and is holy, and is just) until then, etc.

Suffering has always been very hard for us human beings to reason always, etc, and probably still will be here always until we all cross over into the next life, etc.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Try to keep in mind that with the people that you are right now seeing, or are right now knowing just yet, that you are also not seeing the 100% finished or complete work/product just yet, ok.

God Bless!
This is very true. I believe God will give them beauty for ashes.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

God Bless!
@Macchiato

I've been through some things, but none of it in my childhood, or any kind of severe sexual and/or physical abuse in my childhood like some others have had, and that is probably because I could not have handled it/that either, etc...

I have to believe that God will make it right for them, etc.

And so, that is what I believe, etc.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

John Owen

Sep 23, 2022
Minneapolis
✟14,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Oldest, hardest question on the face of the earth. Job, probably the oldest book in the Bible, is about this. Job was upright and was devastated. God never told him why. Do you suppose we can know why we receive lesser things?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

God Bless!

I don't believe that is true. The fact is bad stuff do happen to people who can't handle it and some of them lose their minds or commit suicide.

Bad stuff just happens because we live in an evil world and the evil people spends a lot more time doing evil stuff than good people doing good stuff.

There's absolutely no way we can blame God here. Because God told He will use people as extensions of His provisions and mercies. God did His job but the people He had used to bless other people squandered those provisions like time and money to acquire worldly desires, leaving only so little to help those that God wanted to be helped.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There is no simple answer to this. We live in a sinful world full of people far from God. I was physically, mentally, and sexually abused most of my life. A former stepfather tried to kill me. I was alone, neglected, and nearly homeless. I struggled with a lot of pain, fear, and guilt through my 20s and even into my 30s.

We all have free will, including the people who do bad things. You can pick up a gun and shoot someone right now. That doesn't mean God didn't protect or love the person you shot.

But it's also a reminder that this world is not our home and there's something better waiting for us who believe. We think of all the pain and sorrow we experience but get angry at God when someone dies. Did we want them to stay here and continue to experience suffering when they are in a much better place? It is better to see death through God's eyes.

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Macchiato

If they only just managed to survive it, then they are doing pretty well in my book, all else is just icing on the cake, or is only jewels added to their crown in my book, etc.

God Bless!
Yeah I feel the same. Them just still being here is a lot. Shoot 2 of my friends has bachelor's in health science degrees ao I'm proud. The other is still so loving and has lots of love to give its inspiring. It helped me to not feel sorry for my BD anymore.

• Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no simple answer to this. We live in a sinful world full of people far from God. I was physically, mentally, and sexually abused most of my life. A former stepfather tried to kill me. I was alone, neglected, and nearly homeless. I struggled with a lot of pain, fear, and guilt through my 20s and even into my 30s.

We all have free will, including the people who do bad things. You can pick up a gun and shoot someone right now. That doesn't mean God didn't protect or love the person you shot.

But it's also a reminder that this world is not our home and there's something better waiting for us who believe. We think of all the pain and sorrow we experience but get angry at God when someone dies. Did we want them to stay here and continue to experience suffering when they are in a much better place? It is better to see death through God's eyes.
You're very right. I'm hugging you

• Friendly
Reactions: Saucy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe that is true. The fact is bad stuff do happen to people who can't handle it and some of them lose their minds or commit suicide.

Bad stuff just happens because we live in an evil world and the evil people spends a lot more time doing evil stuff than good people doing good stuff.

There's absolutely no way we can blame God here. Because God told He will use people as extensions of His provisions and mercies. God did His job but the people He had used to bless other people squandered those provisions like time and money to acquire worldly desires, leaving only so little to help those that God wanted to be helped.
I also agree with this too. And I'm not blaming God.. I'm just wondering bc I encounter too many people that are either molested or physically abused so naturally I just wonder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

See posts #5 and #6...

And #9...

And #11...

Those were afterthoughts for me, etc...

That even the ones who are not, or don't, or haven't handled it very well, still have a crown of glory laid up for them I believe, etc...

And that we will all see their beauty in Heaven I believe, etc...

And be in awe of it/them, I believe...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The world is fallen and people naturally tend towards evil ... so the question is: "Why doesn't everyone experience bad things all the time? Why does God restrain so much human natural desire?"

Therefore God gave them up ... [Romans 1:24]
For this reason God gave them over ... [Romans 1:26]
God gave them up ... [Romans 1:28]

Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Macchiato, some thoughts with love and respect:

You stated "I acknowledge He is sovereign. So I'm not questioning Him I'm just wondering why." My vote would be to say ABSOLUTELY question him on this topic, wrestle with God like Jakob in the darkness, but to understand. Wrestle like Job in the dust, of whom there was "none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man" from God's own lips.

If a Christian takes the position that God is absolutely sovereign, decreeing all from before Creation ("Not a single rogue atom not under God's control") then theodicy takes the familiar shape: why did God decree ANY of this suffering?

But if a Christian thinks the answer is to spare God from evil by pushing the problem to free agents and nature then theodicy takes a different shape: even though God isn't behind the suffering, why does he still allow it?

So you could become an Open-Theist, and take away God's ability to foresee or prevent anything. You've solved the Theodicy at the expense of God's power.

For me, only an absolutely sovereign God makes sense, and I've spent a lot of time exposing myself to arguments on all sides. I really, really do understand the challenges that this Reformed/Calvinist position on God presents for many people.

Marshall Shelley is an author and editor who lost a son two minutes after birth, and then three months later lost a severely retarded daughter of two, but he had the courage and faith to share his position in a Christianity Today article titled "Two Minutes to Eternity":

"Why did God create a child to live two minutes? He didn't. He didn't create Toby to live two minutes or Mandy to live two years. He didn't create me to live 40 years (or whatever number he may choose to extend my days in this world). God created Toby for eternity. He created each of us for eternity, where we may be surprised to find our true calling, which always seemed just out of reach here on earth."

To me this earth and our brief time on it is a grand stage-play (Calvin called it "The Theatre of God's Glory"), and we each have our parts, our struggles, our injustices received and inflicted. We can easily get lost in our roles, as so we should - we were put here to do just that after all. But as Christians we were also put here to awaken OUT OF the play, to know that when the final curtain falls we're going to unite with the Director and all of our other brothers and sisters at the after-party. And there we will understand what our roles meant, why we were blessed, why we were stricken. I believe that the shape and degree of our lives and our suffering will then make sense, and the depth of our pain will be met with corresponding glory and joy in the balancing calculus of our new lives.

Upvote 0