Why does everyone dislike homosexuality so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Everlasting33

Firestone is more famous for his support of Polygamy and his support of that polygamist cult in Texas that made the news so much last year. He claims that polygamy benefits women.

I have to wonder if Firestone he thinks as highly of other minorities

One of his books hinted at this, although the above quote is news to me. I have read four books of his and most of his work, at least in my opinion, is spot-on.

Where is the source for this? I have been trying to find it on google.

Upvote 0

CreedIsChrist

Jul 25, 2008
✟4,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I just want to hear peoples reasons behind their disapproval of gay people.

I don't disapprove of anyone. Sadly some people who live the homosexual lifestyle become so personified by homosexuality that it becomes their personality and part of their life. So when the sin of homosexuality is critisized the person becomes personally insulted and feels hurt. Its this personification of sin that makes it hard to have dialogue because , well, I don't want to put it harshly, but they think their **** don't stink.

The denial of homosexuality as a sin I think is rooted in 3 things: pride, denial, and ignorance. Pride because they are unwilling to humble themselves and admit that what they are doing is disobedience to god and revere their pleasure over God. Denial because it helps nullify and buffer their conscience from getting through and thus they sin presumptuously. And ignorance because they haven't truly studied the seriousness of sin and the balance and weights of justice.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
OH JOY, now we get to see how many pro-homosexuals only stop there.
Nice, a tripple wrong for the price of one quote.

1) Marrying your cousin or sister is wrong because breeding between the two has a much higher chance of producing babies with defects and illnesses.
The chance, after a single generation, is not much higher. And there are many many other things which increase chance of defects MUCH MUCH HIGHER. Like having dwarfism. Some varieties of that have a 50% chance to pass on the defect, but it is still LEGAL for them to reproduce.

Genetics is no argument. I would be surprised if you could find a good argument besides the ick factor, which is the same argument many use against homosexuals.
2) Polygamy would mean the attention of the man (or women) has to be devided amongst the wives which would be unfair for them. Not too hard to see how this could be harmful right?
So there being unfairly divided attention leads to a family being harmful? I do not agree. And even if it is slightly more harmful than normal marriage, if all parties are willing, why not allow it? Remember, due to the negative way homosexuals are treated, homosexual marriages will be for some time more harmful than heterosexual marriages. Or do you not support your argument because either you see it's flaws, or you just don't like it being applied against you?
3) Marrying a horse is wrong because the horse can not say "Yes I do" and therefore give consent to marrying you.
Banned topic. Though I would like to see a horse say "I do" before being ground up into dog food, or in some places, human food.
ALL the examples you stated are wrong and don't adress the issue at all.
Now the statement by Peadar still remains:
"The difference between homosexuality and the other things [like rape and murder] you listed here is that homosexuality doesn't hurt anyone"
Of the three things you quoted him on, only one could constitute rape, and that is a banned topic (wish it wasn't).

Upvote 0

peadar1987

Mar 22, 2009
I'm a Dub, but I live in Scotland now
✟1,446.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
As for my own views on this topic, I can only speak for myself. I suppose I dislike homosexuality because innocuous things like show-tunes have been turned into supposed symbols of a person's sexual orientation. They've taken hold of rainbows, among other aesthetic elements, turning them into sexual symbols. That bothers me. As a highly intelligent child, I was often accused of being a homosexual for using big words, for showing sensitivity toward others, for being musical and artistic etc. How annoying! It's not that I have anything against homosexual individuals. They are what they are, and what they do is between them and God (or whatever name you give reality). It just pains me that so many non-sexual things have been homosexualized by our culture. I wonder how much creativity has been suppressed because children didn't want to be mislabeled or bullied by their peers?

The whole "gay culture" thing actually annoys me as well, but I don't see it as a reason to dislike homosexuals. I dislike "hip-hop culture", but I'd never for a second let it influence my opinion of black people as a whole.

lawtonfogle said:
3) Marrying a horse is wrong because the horse can not say "Yes I do" and therefore give consent to marrying you.
Banned topic. Though I would like to see a horse say "I do" before being ground up into dog food, or in some places, human food.

I think grinding an animal into food is wrong, far more wrong than homosexuality, that's why I'm a vegetarian.

lawtonfogle said:
ALL the examples you stated are wrong and don't adress the issue at all.
Now the statement by Peadar still remains:
"The difference between homosexuality and the other things [like rape and murder] you listed here is that homosexuality doesn't hurt anyone"
Of the three things you quoted him on, only one could constitute rape, and that is a banned topic (wish it wasn't).

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. My statement was that homosexuality was different from the other sins listed as it didn't hurt anyone. Tu Es Petrus listed some other things which he also didn't believe hurt anyone, but still thought shouldn't be legalised, by way of a counter-argument (I think consensual polygamy and incest should be legal, but people hould be made aware of the dangers, as with the dangers of procreating with a dwarf). Eczetus then attacked Tu Es Petrus' argument, but never implies the other things were rape.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The denial of homosexuality as a sin I think is rooted in 3 things: pride, denial, and ignorance. Pride because they are unwilling to humble themselves and admit that what they are doing is disobedience to god and revere their pleasure over God. Denial because it helps nullify and buffer their conscience from getting through and thus they sin presumptuously. And ignorance because they haven't truly studied the seriousness of sin and the balance and weights of justice.

I don't believe homosexuality is a sin because I think your god is a fairy tale, much like Zeus or any other. You forgot that option.

Upvote 0

KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe homosexuality is a sin because I think your god is a fairy tale, much like Zeus or any other. You forgot that option.

If one's sexual orientation is a sin then heterosexuality must be a sin. This (the 'case' against homosexuality) is a stupid argument because one has to suspend facts and intelligence in order to be 'against' something that is not of one's choosing.

You might be right in your view of the 'biblical God' (after all, the Bible was written by human beings and to believe the contents we must put 100% trust in what they wrote) ...but don't you believe in a creator of sorts?

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
You might be right in your view of the 'biblical God' (after all, the Bible was written by human beings and to believe the contents we must put 100% trust in what they wrote) ...but don't you believe in a creator of sorts?

An atheist would not believe in any sort of creator.

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
Really? I always understood that an atheist was more typically someone that didn't believe in the biblical God.

Atheist means not a theist. A theist is a believer in any god. An atheist believes in absolutely no god.

A hindu would not believe in the God of the Bible, but they would not be an atheist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Atheist means not a theist. A theist is a believer in any god. An atheist believes in absolutely no god.

A hindu would not believe in the God of the Bible, but they would not be an atheist.

You are a mine of knowledge, my good man. :)

Anyway, why does 'everyone' dislike homosexuality so much ...did we ever find that out? ;)

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
You are a mine of knowledge, my good man. :)

Anyway, why does 'everyone' dislike homosexuality so much ...did we ever find that out? ;)

We'll have to find this "Everyone" and ask him or her why. If they mean the category of everyone, it does put us in a rather odd position, as I do not hate homosexuals and I seem to fall under that category.

Upvote 0

corvus_corax

Naclist Hierophant and Prophet
Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Really? I always understood that an atheist was more typically someone that didn't believe in the biblical God.
To wit, you are nearly an atheist. :p:p
You just believe in one more deity than an atheist does, that's all.
Most monotheists, when it comes down to it, do not REJECT other gods (because to do so is to recognize that those other gods exist, to some degree), most monotheists in this day and age simply lack belief in the other gods (to wit "I dont believe that Thor exists").
A straightforward atheist will most likely state that they lack belief in (in simple terms) one more deity than monotheists do.

That's all. It really is that simple (except for so-called "Strong atheists", which seem to be the minority)

Upvote 0

KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We'll have to find this "Everyone" and ask him or her why. If they mean the category of everyone, it does put us in a rather odd position, as I do not hate homosexuals and I seem to fall under that category.

Well, it would seem that both you and I are therefore 'nobodys'. :)

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Neither does polygamy. Neither does marrying your cousin or your sister. Neither does marrying your horse. Shall we legalize those too?

Or your altar boy....

No, I'm not slamming Catholicism for the deeds of a few pedophile priests. But I'm making the point that he who makes offensive comparisons, unto him shall offensive comparisons be made. ("For with the measure by which you judge....")

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

halfbreed23

May 7, 2009
✟121.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The weird thing about a lot of Christians is how they pick homosexuality to constantly condemn with words.

For instance, Jesus said Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed due to other things, arrogance, being overfed and not helping the needy.

So why don't Christians speak out against arrogance and gluttony as strongly as homosexuality? Why don't they focus that attention on helping the needy?

When they use Leviticus to point to anti-homosexual text why don't they speak out as much against the eating of pork?

When they use Paul's writings to point to anti-homosexual text why don't they speak out as much as against women speaking in the church and not wearing veils? Paul clearly said women should remain silent in church and if they did speak they should be veiled.

In my opinion, if you don't have a complete understanding of the original Hebrew text when speaking on these issues you should pretend you are a woman (if you're not) and do as Paul said, shut up!

I should add that I live in North Carolina and the "most Christians" statement is based on most around the South.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The weird thing about a lot of Christians is how they pick homosexuality to constantly condemn with words.

For instance, Jesus said Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed due to other things, arrogance, being overfed and not helping the needy.

Because people (Christians) are not obsessed with these issues.

So why don't Christians speak out against arrogance and gluttony as strongly as homosexuality? Why don't they focus that attention on helping the needy?

When they use Leviticus to point to anti-homosexual text why don't they speak out as much against the eating of pork?

Because people (Christians) are not obsessed with this issue.

When they use Paul's writings to point to anti-homosexual text why don't they speak out as much as against women speaking in the church and not wearing veils? Paul clearly said women should remain silent in church and if they did speak they should be veiled.

For the reason given above.

People, and this includes Christians, are obsessed with sex. Plainly and simply. They feel the need to know who is 'having it off' with whom. This is why pop-culture magazines and TV soaps are so popular. Take away this obsession with sex and these items would disappear. Few people are obsessed with someone's intelligence or one's desire to help the poor, the unloved, the unlovely, etc. ...you know, those things that would emulate Jesus.

It's all to do with sex, sex, sex.

Feel free, someone, to prove me wrong.

Upvote 0

FlamingFemme

The Flaming One
May 2, 2008
USA
✟12,903.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

People, and this includes Christians, are obsessed with sex. Plainly and simply. They feel the need to know who is 'having it off' with whom. This is why pop-culture magazines and TV soaps are so popular. Take away this obsession with sex and these items would disappear. Few people are obsessed with someone's intelligence or one's desire to help the poor, the unloved, the unlovely, etc. ...you know, those things that would emulate Jesus.

I have always found it funny that this particular brand of people tend to obsess over 'icky sex acts' a lot more (and a lot more often) than most of us are actually engaging in said sex acts.
:D

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

I have to agree with this in general. I think this is why European and Canadian Christians are far less obsessed over the gay marriage issue. US Christianity is heavily influenced by Puritanical values where in other areas Christians tend to view sexual sins as little different than any other sin people have problems with.

Upvote 0

halfbreed23

May 7, 2009
✟121.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Makes sense. I should disclose that when I say Christians, I'm thinking in terms of the Christians around my town. Very conservative. I should start saying "people" :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.