Why does Christmas make so sappy and emotional??

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone else?
It seems like Christmas automatically makes you think of the past and remember Christmases past. It's like we try to capture a little bit of the past each year. We think about people we have lost over the years and reminisce about times years ago.
I hurt for people who are alone, particularly the elderly. I look at people's eyes and see so much pain and hurt. It puts me on the verge of tears. My heart just aches for the lonely ones.
I feel so blessed to have my family and so joyful to be home, yet I see so much pain in my husband's eyes as he mourns the loss of his mom. He would never allow himself to be a killjoy, but I literally hurt inside when I see his pain and his family's pain. Then I start to worry about the future and borrow hurt thinking about one day losing him or my family. UGH
I hardly slept last night with all this spinning in my head.
I think I need a nap LOL

Merry Christmas everyone :)

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel so blessed to have my family and so joyful to be home, yet I see so much pain in my husband's eyes as he mourns the loss of his mom. He would never allow himself to be a killjoy, but I literally hurt inside when I see his pain and his family's pain. Then I start to worry about the future and borrow hurt thinking about one day losing him or my family. UGH

I have lost both my parents within the last 10 years. The first year is the hardest. I think of them each holiday, but with the years? You start to remember happy memories, and it doesn't bring you down as much as it did in the past. Don't get me wrong I miss them still. That will never go away, but you do learn to live on.

I always invite people that are going to be alone over for Christmas. We just moved to our new home in July, and I'm not as familiar with people in my area. No doubt by next year? We will have given some invites as we always have in the past. The more the merrier I say!

It's going to be a different type of Christmas this year for us. My BIL can't live alone, and since my MIL passed away he lives with us. The adult children decided to come with us for the move. We had a young lady living with us in the old location, but she is going to college now! It's going to be a good, but different holiday for us. Just 5 people in a new home, in a new area....but we are going to have FUN! lol just a bit more quiet this year.

Start a new tradition for your family this year! Next year? Invite a lonely person into your home. It does a heart good to see them, and adds a little something extra special to the day. Our guests always surprised us with JOY!

Blessings to you and your family this holiday season!!

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I lost my grandmother several years ago. We would always go to her house and she cooked and baked a LOT for Christmas. I really miss how she did all that stuff. She brought the family together even when there was such tension. I still really miss her.
Then about 3 years ago my sister and I lost our childhood friend. She developed a traveling blood clot when she came back from a vacation where she spent 10 hours on a plane with her family. It was such a shock when my sister told me about it. I had not long ago been playing internet games with her since she lived in another province. My sister went out to see her from what she never thought would be the last time.
I still feel for our other childhood friend who was sister to the one that was lost when Christmas comes up.

On a lighter note, I always get cheerful when this season comes around even though many others call it a pagan holiday. I pray for those who have the wrong focus and be joyous with others who celebrate Christ's birth, death and resurrection. For me, the star represents the Cornerstone and Capstone and the tree, the cross.

Have a merry Christmas everyone!

Christmas-Tree-animated-Christmas-2008-christmas-2857089-186-229.gif

• Friendly
Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Christmas was always my favorite holiday when I was growing up. My folks would have a big dinner every year, where all the family from around the state would come to visit. Those were really some of my happiest days.

It is hard to reconcile that with the passage of time, though. Most of the people that I took such joy in seeing every year have passed. My mom passed in 2006 and my dad in 2008. Others passed a little before that, others a little after. Most of my direct cousins are now gone (one of the disadvantages of having parents who were really old when they had you), except for one who's now 70.

Pretty much the only ones left that I still have contact with are my brother, that cousin and her ex husband. It's quite a dwindling from what used to be a gathering where we'd have 25-30 people over each year.

Now I find joy in the holidays from watching my kids - and seeing how they experience the holiday. My daughter is now 7, though, and I think this likely was the last year she'll believe in Santa. She's bright - and some little turd in school already told her this year that Santa isn't real. I was able to stave it off a little bit just to get through the holiday, but, I doubt she'll still be believing by next year.

Upvote 0