Why do you think God allowed the temple to be knocked down?

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If Jesus still wanted the laws,why no more priesthood, atonement,offerings,and cleansing?
My view is that at the coming of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost, He is now dwelling in us. We are the temples of the Holy Spirit. Jesus told the Samaritan woman at the well that people will not worship at Jerusalem or on "this" mountain, but they will worship God in spirit and in truth. We don't have to go to a temple to worship God, because God, in the person of the Holy Spirit is right inside of us. We can worship God anywhere.

Jerusalem and the temple were destroy as judgment from God for their rejection of Christ. Actually the Roman general didn't want the temple destroyed and he did his best to save it, but it caught fire and that was that.

Reactions: RND
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think God allowed the temple to be knocked down?
I would agree with Oscarr but why did it take 40 years after the cross? The Temple veil was torn when Jesus died symbolizing that we enter the Most Holy Place, now, through his flesh, but the Jewish sacrifices continued from the death of Jesus until the Temple was destroyed.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If Jesus still wanted the laws,why no more priesthood, atonement,offerings,and cleansing?

because he was no longer present in their temples.

He is now present in the Eucharist. Hence the Last Supper. this is where God instituted the Eucharist. "This IS my body.. THIS IS my blood... THIS IS the new and everlasting covenant... DO THIS in memory of me. (instead y'all stay home and do nothing...)

and don't argue because I just proved this from scripture.

Frog, I say this because I really really like you... you are taking the bible, going off in a corner and reading it all by yourself and coming up with some really radical (wrong) interpretations.

Like the Eunuch said in Acts, "how can I read this unless someone shows me what it says..."

You are in need of some good guidance. Cuz you are getting more and more radical and out there.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Those who eat His flesh and drink His blood... yeah. that's the whole point of the Eucharist.
We are temples of God through the In dwelling of God's Holy Spirit.

The Spirit: Dwelling in Individuals

The Spirit: Dwelling in Individuals

Through this indwelling, however, people become "temples of God" (of the triune God) because it is "the Spirit of God [who] dwells in" them, as the Apostle reminds the Corinthians (1 Cor 3:16). God is holy and makes holy. Paul points out shortly after this: "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God?" (1 Cor 6:19). Therefore the indwelling of the Holy Spirit implies a particular consecration of the whole human person (whose bodily dimension Paul emphasizes) similar to a temple. This consecration is sanctifying. It is the very essence of the saving grace through which the person is able to participate in God's trinitarian life. Thus an internal source of holiness opens up within the person, from which comes life "according to the Spirit," as Paul says in the Letter to the Romans (8:9): "You are not in the flesh; on the contrary, you are in the Spirit, if only the Spirit of God dwells in you." Here is the basis for the hope of bodily resurrection because "if the Spirit of the one who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, the one who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also, through his Spirit that dwells in you" (Rom 8:11).

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

that's a good question after all, he had allowed it to happen before. Why did it happen then and why did He allow it to be rebuilt?

Steve

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
We are His temple

spoken by Paul who said it about usm whilst the temple in Jerusalem was still standing and active. But the truth of the matter is this is typical Jewish thinking. Paul is not saying we are the temple, but the earthly temple isn't as he still was taking part in the temple worship system. He is alluding to old testament passages such as those used by Peter, such as royal priesthood, holy nation, etc.

the earthly temple vs spiritual temple is a false dichotomy based upon a neo-platonic, anti-Torah, Augustinian world-view

Steve

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My view is that at the coming of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost, He is now dwelling in us. We are the temples of the Holy Spirit. Jesus told the Samaritan woman at the well that people will not worship at Jerusalem or on "this" mountain, but they will worship God in spirit and in truth. We don't have to go to a temple to worship God, because God, in the person of the Holy Spirit is right inside of us. We can worship God anywhere.

Jerusalem and the temple were destroy as judgment from God for their rejection of Christ. Actually the Roman general didn't want the temple destroyed and he did his best to save it, but it caught fire and that was that.
:thumbsup: :liturgy:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7164949-3/#post46105783
DO NOT WEEP!!!!! The Great City

Luke 19:41 And as He nears being aware the City He laments upon Her
42 saying "that if thou knew and thou even indeed in the day, this, the toward peace of thee, now yet it was Hid from thy eyes.
43 That shall be arriving days upon thee and thy enemies shall be casting up a siege-work to thee and shall be encompassing thee and pressing thee every which place.
44 and they shall be leveling thee and the offspring of thee in thee and not they shall be leaving stone upon stone in thee stead which not thou knew the time of the visitation of thee.
[Reve 14:8]

Reve 14:8 And another Messenger, second-one follows saying "she falls she falls, Babylon the Great, the out of the wine of the fury of the fornication of her she has given to drink all the nations.
[Jeremiah 51:8/Luke 19:41]

http://www.bible.ca/pre-destruction70AD-george-holford-1805AD.htm

.......The Temple now presented little more than a heap of ruins............

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
that's a good question after all, he had allowed it to happen before. Why did it happen then and why did He allow it to be rebuilt?

Steve

Tis true, its not like that was the first time the temple was destroyed. It'd be better to analyze why the veil was torn, since that happened at His death.

The temple wasn't destroyed for some years later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
God didn't destroy the temple - the Romans did.
:thumbsup: :preach:

http://www.scripture4all.org/

John 11:48 "If-ever we may be be letting Him thus, all shall be believing in Him.
And shall be coming the Romans and they shall be taking away of Us and the Place and the Nation
[Reve 6:6/14:8]

Revelation 6:6 And I hear a voice in midst of the four living-ones saying "choinex of grain/wheat a denari and three choinex of barleys a denari, and the oil and the wine no you should be injuring".
[John 11:48/Luke 19:41-44]

1220. denarion day-nar'-ee-on of Latin origin; a denarius (or ten asses):--pence, penny(-worth).
AV - penny 9, pence 5, pennyworth 2; 16 denarius = "containing ten"
1) A Roman silver coin in NT time. It took its name from it being equal to ten "asses", a number after 217 B.C. increased to sixteen (about 3.898 grams or .1375 oz.). It was the principal silver coin of the Roman empire. From the parable of the labourers in the vineyard, it would seem that a denarius was then the ordinary pay for a day's wages. (Mt. 20:2-13)

The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD

*snip*

The day on which Titus encompassed Jerusalem, was the feast of the Passover. At this season multitudes came up from all the surrounding country, and from distant parts, to keep the festival and the city was at this time crowded with Jewish strangers...........

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I would agree with Oscarr but why did it take 40 years after the cross? The Temple veil was torn when Jesus died symbolizing that we enter the Most Holy Place, now, through his flesh, but the Jewish sacrifices continued from the death of Jesus until the Temple was destroyed.

I don't know why it took 40 years,but I have a guess..time of testing..40

God wanted to show that they would still cling to the old ways,even 40 years later.Then he had enough...

I guess He also new that the true temple just took 3.

John 2:19
Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
because he was no longer present in their temples.

He is now present in the Eucharist. Hence the Last Supper. this is where God instituted the Eucharist. "This IS my body.. THIS IS my blood... THIS IS the new and everlasting covenant... DO THIS in memory of me. (instead y'all stay home and do nothing...)

and don't argue because I just proved this from scripture.

Frog, I say this because I really really like you... you are taking the bible, going off in a corner and reading it all by yourself and coming up with some really radical (wrong) interpretations.

Like the Eunuch said in Acts, "how can I read this unless someone shows me what it says..."

You are in need of some good guidance. Cuz you are getting more and more radical and out there.

I am glad you like me.:)
But it seems like you are overeacting in a rather personal manner.Others have offered an objective answer,without a personality critique.

The post is a question about a historical event.

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I think it may have something to do with prophecy and timelines, but I am not 100% on that as I have not dug through all the applicable prophecies. :idea: That could be a fun study...for someone with more time than me. lol

Upvote 0