USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Firstly, If you think that you never lie, thanks for looking. This thread is not for you.

For the rest of us liars, I'm asking that we are intellectually honest with ourselves and get to the bottom of why we lie.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do not tell lies very ofter, but if there were such thing as a truth meter, would all of my words on any give day register 100% truth? Sadly, no.

I'm interested in the kinds of lies that just seem to come out in conversation, not completely premeditated lies. The ones that shock us when they seem to slip from our tongues.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: brinny

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Firstly, If you think that you never lie, thanks for looking. This thread is not for you.

For the rest of us liars, I'm asking that we are intellectually honest with ourselves and get to the bottom of why we lie.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do not tell lies very ofter, but if there were such thing as a truth meter, would all of my words on any give day register 100% truth?

LOL! Well i gotta admit....of COURSE i have lied. LOTS. It was easy and it would happen when i was between a rock n' a hard place, mostly.

That was THEN. This is NOW.

I don't lie now, but i can understand why one might lie in certain circumstances. I don't usually freak out about it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Alithis
Upvote 0

Mrs. M. Ray

Jun 16, 2017
Seattle
✟15,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You're asking a very good question. I think that even when we make a good effort not to lie, we can deceive ourselves at times, and not even be aware that we are lying, especially when we just "stretch the truth," or exaggerate.

It is a good idea, as was mentioned in OP, to get to the bottom of why we lie, or exaggerate.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I've lied to m
You're asking a very good question. I think that even when we make a good effort not to lie, we can deceive ourselves at times, and not even be aware that we are lying, especially when we just "stretch the truth," or exaggerate.

It is a good idea, as was mentioned in OP, to get to the bottom of why we lie, or exaggerate.

Yes. Now you are onto what the spirit of the OP is all about.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I hate lying. It's a sin which I find very difficult to forgive. I values honestly; however, I lie. I never intend to (almost never) yet I do.

Spontaneous lies are the issue here, and just so we are clear, this isn't a frequent problem for me. If I were to compare myself with most people, I would likely rank in the excellent category for truth-telling, but since I find lying so distasteful, I have zero tolerance for it. In others or myself.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm.....

it perhaps is a lack of trust of God, bottom line...

That's one reason.

If I don't think God will provide employment for me, I might lie on a job application, for instance.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I define lying also as deception which includes omission. (just avoiding that part of the conversation, not being open)
To protect others (hardly ever)
To protect myself (often)- reputation is survival. I don't want to be the number 1 gossip item for my family, friends or neighbour hood.

• Agree
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I define lying also as deception which includes omission. (just avoiding that part of the conversation, not being open)
To protect others (hardly ever)
To protect myself (often)- reputation is survival. I don't want to be the number 1 gossip item for my family, friends or neighbour hood.

Thanks for raising the bar, and I agree. Now we are all in the boat together. Are we not?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That's one reason.

If I don't think God will provide employment for me, I might lie on a job application, for instance.

Good point.

Rahab comes to mind.

She lied, didn't she?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
That's one reason.

How despicable! :)
The truth is distorted anyway in 99% of resumes.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I've told spontaneous lies, which I hardly could believe came from my mouth, in order to impress people.
I don't think its a big deal, to be honest. God is not so legalistic or petty minded to lose sleep over that. (does God sleep btw ?) :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I hate lying. It's a sin which I find very difficult to forgive. I values honestly; however, I lie. I never intend to (almost never) yet I do.

Spontaneous lies are the issue here, and just so we are clear, this isn't a frequent problem for me. If I were to compare myself with most people, I would likely rank in the excellent category for truth-telling, but since I find lying so distasteful, I have zero tolerance for it. In others or myself.

Do you despise lying more than other sins?

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyone lies whether they like it or not. Some are habitual liars, some are just tiny liars that don't do it often.

Problem is what is a lie really? We will use the age old question of what do you say when your wife asks you "Do I look fat in this?". I rarely find anyone who says they are honest about it. In my case I try to be more honest about that question, though my wife really isn't fat at all, just a small tummy. Really this is technically a "white lie". To answer someone with a polite answer as to not upset them. Probably put santa on this list as many christians still choose to put the idea of santa in their childs mind, then when the kids older they then have to lie and tell them santa didn't exist. Have fun explaining why you taught them not to lie and just broke your rule. :p

So lying is a complex issue. Me? I do lie. To say otherwise....well is a lie. Most of the time my lies are white lies. I don't often do hurtful mean lies. Its something I'd like not to do in general (any lying) but trying to not even white lie is like trying to avoid other humans. Its very hard to avoid them. Not that I want to avoid them.... maybe. ^_^

Upvote 0