Why Do You Call Yourself A Christian?

nb408

Mar 20, 2013
✟25,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I grew up a Christian my whole life. I know what to say when somebody asks me this. It means to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. To know the weight of your sin, know that only through faith in Jesus Christ can you be made right with God.

I've realized that I fell in love with the idea of God but I'm still far from him. I don't have a personal relationship with God like I do my friends or my parents. I want one, I desire one. But all I know to do is pray and read the Bible. Which is confusing because to know my friends or parents I don't read about them in a history book. I spend time with them, I give and receive..

What does your personal relationship with Jesus look like? Why do you call yourself a Christian? What responsibilities do you now hold as a Christian?

Reactions: LaSorcia

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you ever received the baptism of the Holy Spirit? Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to talk to our hearts in real-time, along with reading the Bible and praying. The more that we interact with Him, the closer we get to God, because He IS God.

• Friendly
Reactions: WESTOZZIE
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I grew up a Christian my whole life. I know what to say when somebody asks me this. It means to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. To know the weight of your sin, know that only through faith in Jesus Christ can you be made right with God.

I've realized that I fell in love with the idea of God but I'm still far from him. I don't have a personal relationship with God like I do my friends or my parents. I want one, I desire one. But all I know to do is pray and read the Bible. Which is confusing because to know my friends or parents I don't read about them in a history book. I spend time with them, I give and receive..

What does your personal relationship with Jesus look like? Why do you call yourself a Christian? What responsibilities do you now hold as a Christian?

The idea of a "personal relationship with Jesus Christ" is a recent protestant notion that I do not hold to. My relationship with Jesus Christ is one of a subject and a King.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The idea of a "personal relationship with Jesus Christ" is a recent protestant notion...
"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba,* Father.” The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,..." Romans 8:14-16 NKJV

*"Daddy" or "Papa" in the American English vernacular. :clap:

Upvote 0

WESTOZZIE

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
WA
Visit site
✟54,255.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Gal 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
He carries me everyday...He sustains me...It is His faith inside me...we are one....Right here right now..Jesus and me always together as one inside me...but manifested outwardly to the world as simply ME.
I do not try to be like Jesus. I do not try to do Christian things. I simply am me and I know that He is the one who lives in me and as me every moment, regardless of how much I pray or read or worship or attend meetings.
This came about through being burned out in religion.....the tread mill of endless religious doings led me to cry out for reality...and to my utter wonder I found that Galatians 2:20 is literally who we are.
No longer you who live...Christ lives as you!! you live now by THE FAITH OF JESUS...not faith in Jesus....which is pathetic at best.
There is a rest for the people of God.

Reactions: nb408
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Have you ever received the baptism of the Holy Spirit?

(All believers) that have been Born Again (regeneration)are given a new heart from God through the Holy Spirit and from that day on will always (have the Holy Spirit within them.)
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(All believers... have the Holy Spirit within them.)

"And finding some disciples he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”

So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.”

And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?”

So they said, “Into John’s baptism.”

Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.”

When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. Now the men were about twelve in all." Acts of the Apostles 19:1-7 NKJV

The baptism of the Holy Spirit does not involve water and mimics Pentecost in many ways. Even if the Holy Spirit begins His ministry at the baptism of repentance, it isn't the same thing. It is way more dynamic.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The idea of a "personal relationship with Jesus Christ" is a recent protestant notion that I do not hold to. My relationship with Jesus Christ is one of a subject and a King.
I spent two years trying to be a good Christian but it wasn't working for me because it was all just religion and I needed to know God on a personal level. I read in the Bible that there were people who met God and fellowshiped with Him as a friend. I wanted to have that too. So, one night I went out into the middle of a park near my home and told God that religion wasn't working for me and I might as well give it all up if I didn't get to meet Him personally. So I introduced myself to God. I said, "You are God, and I am me. I'm very glad to meet you."

What happened then was amazing! It was not an emotional experience because it was a cold night. It wasn't a church-based experience either. But one moment I didn't know God, and the next moment I felt all lit up in side, and I knew God! Then something else happened that had never happened before. A very strong thought came into my mind which I had never had before. It seemed that God said to me, "We have been waiting for this for a long time." I asked, "What have you been waiting for?" He replied, "We have been waiting for you to get beyond the religious stuff and to come to Me directly." Then I asked God every question I could think of, and He answered every one. This happened in April 1969, and the personal awareness of God being with me has never left me through all the ups and downs of my life. In the darkest period of my life it seemed that Jesus came, put His hand on my shoulder and said, "I am your Refuge and Strength; a very present help in time of trouble." At another dark period, I told God that when I stand before Him in the judgment, I would say, "My only qualification for getting into Your heaven is that Jesus died for me on the cross." He replied, "That's all you need...and by the way...that's all you ever needed!" These encounters with the living God were life changing times and cemented my faith in Jesus like nothing else could.

He gave me a promise: "If you seek Me with all your heart, you will find Me." And, "The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him." If you don't know God on a personal level like that, then He promises you that if you seek Him with all your heart, you will find Him, and He will reveal Himself to you.

But He will never reveal Himself to you in any way that contradicts His written Word. These days when God talks to me and confirms something to me it is always as a verse of Scripture. I have never memorised Scripture, but when He wants to give me a Scripture, He does, and it is phenomenal how that it is always exactly the right one for me.

Three weeks ago He told me to re-read the Bible right through from Genesis to Revelation. I am now up to Acts. After 50 years of studying the Bible, I am still finding things in there I never knew were there, and these have given me new insights into Himself and His plan for us. It quite significant that when the devil hits me with a condemnation bomb and I seek God about it, I am flooded with Scripture that counteracts it and solidly restores my faith in Jesus and His finished work on the cross for me.

So, don't underestimate God's willingness and ability to establish a personal, supportive communication with you that will last you a lifetime of blessing and assurance of His love for you. God is the most joyful, kind patient and gentle Person I have ever met, and He can be that way for you as well.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So one may be Born Again and yet be like The Prodigal Son refusing to do what the Spirit guides one to do.

And yet another may be Born Again and most of the time does exactly what the Spirit wishes of them and thinking to themselves that for some reason they have an extra filling of the Spirit.

Nope both have the Spirit just one is paying more attention than the other.

If you have the spirit at all it would be 100%. No one gets an extra filling.

M-Bob

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you have the spirit at all it would be 100%. No one gets an extra filling.
That is where Pentecostals/Charismatics and Cessationists differ. It sounds like the OP has already tried it your way. I was just giving him some alternatives to try (that have worked for me).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WESTOZZIE

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
WA
Visit site
✟54,255.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You have said out of your own mouth in a public forum- that you want a deeper relationship with God. That is desire speaking.
Whatsoever things you desire when you pray believe that you receive them and you shall have them. Simply ask the Father for what you are already asking us and believe that He has heard you and that you have received by faith His answer. Then go about rejoicing with an expectant heart. But one thing I have experienced in all this hunger for God...
You are at a place where the inner hunger is moving you to want more of God no matter what the cost...that's where He moves ...and usually what happens is that you will receive and those around you who are not hungering like that, will try to put it out...so you may have a choice to make when God has opened up a river in you.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What is the way to God?

31 "The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is from the earth belongs to the earth, and speaks as one from the earth. The one who comes from heaven is above all. 32 He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. 33 Whoever has accepted it has certified that God is truthful. 34 For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for Godi gives the Spirit without limit. 35 The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands." -- Christ Jesus, John chapter 3

See? The way to God, to the Father is through Christ Jesus, and we are coming to God as we listen to Jesus.

This is far more altering and powerful than people have learned. Christ's words we have in the gospels are directly from God to you, for you to listen to and hear.

(A wonderful way to dwell and soak in Christ's words if we have just finished reading a gospel is to come back soon enough (within a week or 2) and listen/meditate/soak in all of the Sermon on the Mount, Matthew chapters 5 through 7.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I don't put much merit in the "personal relationship" language; it's a way of speaking that is largely modernistic and, I think potentially problematic.

I don't call myself a Christian because I have a "personal relationship with God"; I call myself a Christian because my faith is in Jesus Christ. I have been baptized, and I am confident in the promises of God in the Gospel that I belong to Christ, and since I am Christ's, I belong to God. The Spirit and the gifts are ours by the grace of God, apart from ourselves, because God promises this.

The language of "personal relationship" tends, far too frequently in my opinion, to a reliance on emotion, feeling, and human effort. Instead who we are in relation to God is found in Jesus--what Jesus has done, objectively, for us by His life, death, and resurrection; and this is ours as pure gift, apart from our efforts, our feelings, our emotions, as Gospel--as grace.

So we should stop trying to find God in our feelings, because we aren't going to find God by looking inside of ourselves. The Prophet Jeremiah says, "The heart is deceitful above all else, and desperately sick, who can understand it?" It is not in ourselves that we find God. We find God in Jesus Christ, and where Christ avails Himself to us--in His word, in the Sacraments. There is no knowing God apart from Christ (John 1:18, John 14:5-10).

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟26,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't have a personal relationship with God like I do my friends or my parents. I want one, I desire one. But all I know to do is pray and read the Bible. Which is confusing because to know my friends or parents I don't read about them in a history book. I spend time with them, I give and receive.

You aren't going to have that sort of personal relationship because God is done talking to humanity in that way. The canon of scripture is closed and in it is the entire past and future history of the planet. As the old hymn goes, "what more can he say than to you he has said?"

Why do I call myself a Christian?

I accept God's moral law.
I accept it's conviction of me as a sinner deserving of damnation.
I accept God's forgiveness through the sacrifice of his Son, Jesus as described by the Nicene Creed.
I accept my own personal responsibility to take up my cross and follow Christ, bearing fruit in his name and becoming sanctified in Protestant terms, or seeking theosis in Orthodox terms.

That's the short version.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Have you ever read the Gospels and especially meditated on John 1; John 3; John 14? That will show you what is needed for salvation and blessings. If you look into the Epistles and pray over 1 Jn. 5:10-12 you might see what real salvation, peace, and blessings is. Keep looking up!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are quite a few Christians mystics who have been canonized as saints who would probably dispute that point. ;)

However, I also think that the idea has been cheapened by many modern Christians who talk like God is their best buddy who intervenes in every last thing that happens in the course of the day (all of which they say is having a personal relationship with Him).

Upvote 0

sea5763

May 9, 2018
California
✟59,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I was born into a Christian family and have been one all but one year in which I was an atheist. During that time as an atheist I tried to continue living a Christian lifestyle and to pray the Lord’s Prayer but nothing else. I didn’t plan to go back to the faith. I was slowly falling away. Then one night I was seeing red eyes staring at me and got scared. I prayed to be delivered from demons and then that night I experienced a dream/sleep paralysis during which time God spoke to me. I asked a lot of questions and the answers matched the Bible. Even some of them were answers I wasn’t even consciously aware of, let alone subconsciously. I had read snippets of the Bible before that but I hadn’t read the whole thing. I know people don’t believe me but I lived it so I know it’s real. The only message I got that wasn’t in the Bible was that He wanted me to forgive my mother and ask for her forgiveness. It’s something I still struggle with. If I was a better person I wouldn’t be so bitter and resentful. Then after I woke up I had a passing vision of something that happened years later. The vision had no message just simply an event. The vision became a reoccurring dream a couple of months before it happened. I now believe because of that and because of all the prophecies in the Bible that have come to pass. If I hadn’t had that dream I probably would still be an atheist. I’ve wondered if God has sent me cryptic messages in other dreams and there was a time where I became delusional and heard voices and thought God was talking to me but I no longer believe God ever spoke to me while I was awake. Sometimes I feel like God wasted that dream and vision on me, because if he had given it to somebody else then maybe they could told the world and convinced many more people to come to the faith. I only talk about it after the fact and anonymously on the internet. I’m still resentful of my mother even though she is perfectly nice now and hide my resentment but i still complain online all the time. When I think about how God gave me that dream I think about king Solomon who God also spoke to in two dreams. In the first dream Solomon asked for wisdom and God gave Solomon everything he could possibly want. Then in the second dream much later God warned Solomon not to chase after other gods but Solomon did that anyways. I fear I’ll be like Solomon, who despite being given everything and knew God was real still turned His back on God instead of following Him. I fear it because despite now knowing God is real and Jesus is His son, I haven’t done anything to advance Christianity. Absolutely nothing.

Upvote 0