Why do you call your church Apostolic, and not mine?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Aren't we all one?
Hi, sunlover. There are two main groups of Christians who use the term "Apostolic" for their own churches--those Pentecostals of a certain denomination who use the word to mean that their beliefs and personal behavior are the same as those of the first Christians...and the churches whose bishops are in an unbroken line of succession from the Apostles.

Still, I understand your point about the wisdom of talking as though other believers aren't quite "good enough" if they don't match up with this or that teaching that the one group or the other group--or some additional one--thinks is what causes them to stand above other Christians. :)

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
An apostolic church is a church that is in apostolic succession, and depending who you ask different churches fall under, but the church is a continuous succession from the Apostles themselves.
Thank you. I consider myself a part of the one true church!

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi, sunlover. There are two main groups of Christians who use the term "Apostolic" for their own churches--those Pentecostals of a certain denomination who use the word to mean that their beliefs and personal behavior are the same as those of the first Christians...and the churches whose bishops are in an unbroken line of succession from the Apostles.

Still, I understand your point about the wisdom of talking as though other believers aren't quite "good enough" if they don't match up with this or that teaching that the one group or the other group--or some additional one--thinks is what causes them to stand above other Christians. :)
Makes me crazy! LOL
One church
Thanks Albion,
Good to see you.
Gosh, do you own this site by now?
;)

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I would pass by an "Apostolic" church quite often and I was always curious as to what they meant.
So according to you, they are probably pentecostal? (I would think that if they were RCC or EO they
would have THAT on the sign (?))

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
An apostolic church is a church that is in apostolic succession, and depending who you ask different churches fall under, but the church is a continuous succession from the Apostles themselves.
Except that this is simply a fiction. Why? Because half a dozen different groups all claim to have apostolic succession. And some which make that claim also have false doctrine embedded in their system.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would pass by an "Apostolic" church quite often and I was always curious as to what they meant.
So according to you, they are probably pentecostal? (I would think that if they were RCC or EO they
would have THAT on the sign (?))
You're quite right. There is a denomination that calls itself "Apostolic" and it's a Pentecostal church that's known for stressing certain dos and don'ts concerning dress, behavior, etc. The churches that sometimes describe themselves (or their clergy) as "Apostolic" (RC, etc.) almost never use it in the church name.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're quite right. There is a denomination that calls itself "Apostolic" and it's a Pentecostal church that's known for stressing certain dos and don'ts concerning dress, behavior, etc.
Assemblies of God.
The churches that sometimes describe themselves (or their clergy) as "Apostolic" (RC, etc.) almost never use it in the church name.
That's what I was thinking...

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Except that this is simply a fiction. Why? Because half a dozen different groups all claim to have apostolic succession. And some which make that claim also have false doctrine embedded in their system.
I say that we're all "Apostolic" in that we all live by the Word of God, of which the NT was penned by them. :)

Reactions: Job8
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Assemblies of God.
No, the AOG may use the word to describe their faith, but there's another that uses it as a title. And I'm not counting those that use it in conjunction with other words, such as the New Apostolic Church or the Apostolic Christian Church.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums