Why do you believe in Jesus if you cannot see him?

dc87

Dec 30, 2016
virginia
✟16,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am who some may call a 'seeker' but have grown discouraged. Grew up in a religious household and now am in my late 20s.

Its easy to see the God exists. Creation makes that evident.

I feel like I know God. I've felt His presence. I don't know doctrinally who He is... the God of Abraham; Mohammed; or the Trinity.

I'm sure he is not 100% pleased with me and the way I live but I can only do so much in this skin. I have many ingrained desires and wants which, without supernatural help, I cannot overcome.

But I just cannot come to believe in Jesus (and I have tried for over 20 years). I cannot see him. And there is no evidence of him from what I can see except from history and what people call the New Testament which I have read over many times and yes it is very beautiful and thoughtfully written albeit by men. The message is very compelling but it stops there - at 'believe in me'.

So I raise this question, to help me understand, to those on this forum who say they know Jesus on a personal level - how do you believe in someone you cannot see?

How do you know that you know Jesus on a personal level and not the God of Abraham or some other?

Remember nature tells us there is a God, however I know of nothing that tells me there is a Jesus and He is alive today.... nothing. How do you know who you are talking to when you pray is not the God of Abraham or Mohammed? What am I missing/not doing?

tienkhoanguyen

non-denominational Christian
Dec 17, 2016
Houston, TX
✟1,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am who some may call a 'seeker' but have grown discouraged. Grew up in a religious household and now am in my late 20s.

I feel like I know God. I've felt His presence. I don't know doctrinally who He is... the God of Abraham; Mohammed; or the Trinity.

I'm sure he is not 100% pleased with me and the way I live but I can only do so much in this skin. I have many ingrained desires and wants which, without supernatural help, I cannot overcome.

But I just cannot come to believe in Jesus (and I have tried for over 20 years). I cannot see him. And there is no evidence of him from what I can see except from history and what people call the New Testament which I have read over many times and yes it is very beautiful and thoughtfully written albeit by men. The message is very compelling but it stops there - at 'believe in me'.

So I raise this question, to help me understand, to those on this forum who say they know Jesus on a personal level - how do you believe in someone you cannot see?

How do you know that you know Jesus on a personal level and not the God of Abraham or some other?

Remember nature tells us there is a God, however I know of nothing that tells me there is a Jesus and He is alive today.... nothing. How do you know who you are talking to when you pray is not the God of Abraham or Mohammed? What am I missing/not doing?
Many times we do not see God personally. However we see that others try to be kind and loving like him. Those are the people who shows that God has been kind and loving to them. When others are not kind and loving to you that is because they are not serving God. They are serving themselves. I am guilty of trying to please people when when I have very little to give. I am retarded and my mother is the one who works all her life to support me! I know I am retarded because when I listen to my voice recording I can tell. But I am happy because of the little things in life that God has allowed me to have through my hard working parents and two sisters and those who are kind to me.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,609.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
What am I missing/not doing?
first...Welcome to the forum!
It is a great place to be, and I pray that you will find the friendships here to help you on your pilgrim way.
I was in my thirties when I finally accepted the Lord Jesus into my life through faith. and wow, what a surprise when I found out he was real. I got filled with the Holy Spirit too...
I pray for you, that the Father will make his presence real to you today.
John 3: 16

Upvote 0

dc87

Dec 30, 2016
virginia
✟16,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Many times we do not see God personally. However we see that others try to be kind and loving like him. Those are the people who shows that God has been kind and loving to them. When others are not kind and loving to you that is because they are not serving God. They are serving themselves. I am guilty of trying to please people when when I have very little to give. I am retarded and my mother is the one who works all her life to support me! I know I am retarded because when I listen to my voice recording I can tell. But I am happy because of the little things in life that God has allowed me to have through my hard working parents and two sisters and those who are kind to me.

Thanks for your reply. However I do know God exists even though I cannot see Him. I know he exists by seeing His creation. This does not hint in anyway that Jesus exists however.

Upvote 0

dc87

Dec 30, 2016
virginia
✟16,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Look at the cross. Study it. Pray over it.
Jesus is REAL! He suffered for u. He did!

The cross is compelling. Makes you want to pretend it is the answer, yes true. But how do you KNOW it is? Has he talked to you personally? If so how do you know it was him and not the God of Abraham (the Old Testament)?

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
The cross is compelling. Makes you want to pretend it is the answer, yes true. But how do you KNOW it is? Has he talked to you personally? If so how do you know it was him and not the God of Abraham (the Old Testament)?

FAITH..............................

Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You say you know God exists because you can see the Creation. The Bible tells us that Jesus is the Creator. So, you may as well just say that you know Jesus exists because you can see the Creation.

• Agree
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your reply. However I do know God exists even though I cannot see Him. I know he exists by seeing His creation. This does not hint in anyway that Jesus exists however.
"Jesus said to him, Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” ~ John 20:29

It is God who does the blessing.

• Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dc87

Dec 30, 2016
virginia
✟16,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
FAITH..............................

Faith in what exactly? An idea? Did he give you some sort of assurance that you had faith in the right deity? Was this before you came to believe or after?

Upvote 0

dc87

Dec 30, 2016
virginia
✟16,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You say you know God exists because you can see the Creation. The Bible tells us that Jesus is the Creator. So, you may as well just say that you know Jesus exists because you can see the Creation.

Do Muslims not say the same thing? Do they know Jesus as well?

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,609.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think you are asking the wrong question...this is a spiritual encounter, just ask the Lord to make himself real to you, on a personal level. No discussion will answer your questions, it is a personal encounter that you need to ask for. and don't let go until you get it...

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How do you know that he is real (as in still alive and present)?
He comes alive inside of believers when they receive the Holy Spirit. It is too amazing to explain.But, pray and ask Him to make Himself known to you. No one can make Him alive to you. You have to taste and see for yourself. Let Him touch you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dc87

Dec 30, 2016
virginia
✟16,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think you are asking the wrong question...this is a spiritual encounter, just ask the Lord to make himself real to you, on a personal level. No discussion will answer your questions, it is a personal encounter that you need to ask for. and don't let go until you get it...

I've been asking for decades. You'd think that God would not terry when it comes to this. I guess I will continue however. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Faith in what exactly? An idea? Did he give you some sort of assurance that you had faith in the right deity? Was this before you came to believe or after?

When you know, YOU KNOW! Believe me!

No guessing or searching. When you have found God you will know for sure.

Believe in God of the OT and NT.

Upvote 0

dc87

Dec 30, 2016
virginia
✟16,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Let me ask you this? Was it without a doubt Jesus who was present when you had this unfathomable encounter? Was it unmistakably him or was it just a extremely strong emotional moment. Because I have had those (for example: I've walked down the isle in Baptist churches, son passed away, etc...) yes there were some strong emotions there and some experiences. But there was really nothing there that proved to me without a doubt, or gave me assurance, that what I am feeling is coming from what I've have been taught to be Jesus and or the Holy Spirit.

I doubt these things because they say you are a changed person and have new strength to battle temptation when you come to terms with Jesus.
I feel like I am weaker now than before those experiences. This tells me I do not know the Jesus of the New Testament.

Upvote 0