Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Did you miss the "why" part? It's in there twice (oddly).

I find myself believing in God for a number of reasons:

1. God has given me the gift of faith.
2. God has revealed himself through creation and through Scripture.
3. Many other things that I believe would not make any sense at all if God did not exist.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I find myself believing in God for a number of reasons:

1. God has given me the gift of faith.
2. God has revealed himself through creation and through Scripture.
3. Many other things that I believe would not make any sense at all if God did not exist.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you believe God exists and why?
The term God in scripture is an axiom meaning the source of the energy that created all things including time. This necessarily means that as an axiom God must exist for anything at all to exist. So it doesn't make sense to ask if one believes God exists when the term is an axiom and as such must exist.

When qualified as the Person of God, the term "God" in scripture is speaking to the moral/immoral revelation of God as the Spirit of empathy, and subsequently the cause and purpose of the creation. Hence when a person has faith this means that they trust in God, or hold God/empathy to be trustworthy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Why do you believe God exists and why?
While the Holy Spirit within given with/for regeneration witnesses to the fact, and instinctively we know it to be so, reason affirms it too. It makes more sense to me to believe God exists, than even to say I exist. All this around us can not have happened by itself --extrapolating the law of causality brings us to First Cause, and that, First Cause with Intent.

Something does not come from nothing, and First Cause by definition does not "come from". Mechanical fact cannot be First Cause because it submits to principles from outside itself. No, First Cause is God. Creator With Purpose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The term God in scripture is an axiom meaning the source of the energy that created all things including time. This necessarily means that as an axiom God must exist for anything at all to exist. So it doesn't make sense to ask if one believes God exists when the term is an axiom and as such must exist.
Most people don't define God that way. Thanks for your comment.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
While the Holy Spirit within given with/for regeneration witnesses to the fact, and instinctively we know it to be so, reason affirms it too. It makes more sense to me to believe God exists, than even to say I exist. All this around us can not have happened by itself --extrapolating the law of causality brings us to First Cause, and that, First Cause with Intent.

Something does not come from nothing, and First Cause by definition does not "come from". Mechanical fact cannot be First Cause because it submits to principles from outside itself. No, First Cause is God. Creator With Purpose.
Thanks.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most people don't define God that way. Thanks for your comment.
Respectfully, Truth is authoritative and not subjective. Therefore we don't get to decide what a word means anymore than we get to decide what the color red/rojo is. Whoever made up the word "God" or "Allah" or "Elohim", had a sentiment in mind which is what is meant to be understood when it is spoken. It makes no sense to ask if and why a person believes "God" exists, when you don't actually mean "God", but instead are referring to a superstition or a mythological being.

You need to qualify "God" in a personification (image of God), rather than putting forth a false premise that the existence of "God" can be questioned. Otherwise, through implication it alters the meaning of the term "God".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Respectfully, Truth is authoritative and not subjective. Therefore we don't get to decide what a word means anymore than we get to decide what the color red/rojo is. Whoever made up the word "God" or "Allah" or "Elohim", had a sentiment in mind, which is what is meant to be understood when it is spoken. It makes no sense to ask if and why a person believes "God" exists, when you don't actually mean "God", but instead are referring to a superstition or a mythological being.

You need to qualify "God" in a personification (image of God), rather than putting forth a false premise that the existence of "God" can be questioned. Otherwise, through implication it alters the meaning of the term "God".
People decide what words mean. Dictionaries don't define words they give common usages. The meanings of words change over time. I want to know why people believe in a god however they define the term. If you define God as the energy that started the universe then fine. Most other believers don't define God that way.

• Informative
Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People decide what words mean.
Only if one is inventing a new language would they be deciding what a word would mean. Otherwise we "learn" what a word means when we learn the language.

If you define God as the energy that started the universe then fine. Most other believers don't define God that way.
Respectfully, you're mistaken. I'm not stating my personal definition. I'm stating the scriptural definition of the term "God" which was introduced thousands of years before I was ever born. Moreover, it is the most commonly understood definition found in almost every religion, meaning "The Creator". The term God means the Creator in scripture. And it's not the energy, but rather the source of the energy that created all things.

Dictionaries don't define words they give common usages. The meanings of words change over time. I want to know why people believe in a god however they define the term.
You're on a Christian forum. It's only reasonable to use the same definition for God that Christ used, if in fact you desire to understand God from a Christian perspective. There is no Christian on this forum that will not define God as the Creator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Only if one is inventing a new language would they be deciding what a word would mean. Otherwise we "learn" what a word means when we learn the language.
This is not true. We learn what the word means at the time we are learning the language. Words such as "gay" or "unicorn" or "audition" have changed what they mean over time for example.

Respectfully, you're mistaken. I'm stating the scriptural definition of the term "God" which was invented thousands of years before I was ever born. Moreover, it is the most commonly understood definition found in almost every religion, meaning "The Creator". The term God means the Creator in scripture. And it's not the energy, but the source of the energy that created all things.
Ok great. That is your definition of God. I thought you were saying that the initial energy was god. Now, why do you believe the god you believe in exists?

You're on a Christian forum. It's only reasonable to use the same definition for God that Christ used if you want to understand God from a Christian perspective. There is no Christian on this forum that will not define God as the Creator.
Ok, but like I said, I thought you meant the energy was god. I will also say that all may say their god is the creator of the universe but not all will agree on all the characteristics or properties of that God as can be seen in any of the Christian forums. Why do you believe god as you define it exists?

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is not true. We learn what the word means at the time we are learning the language. Words such as "gay" or "unicorn" have changed what they mean over time for example.
I get what you mean. But I'm using the term God as presented in scripture for the sake of clarity, as opposed to promoting obfuscation, misunderstanding, and/or disinformation about Christianity.

Ok great. That is your definition of God. I thought you were saying that the initial energy was god. Now, why do you believe the god you believe in exists?
Respectfully, in reality it's not "my" definition of God. It's the scriptural definition meaning the Creator of everything. Since I have read scripture I learned the meaning of the term accordingly. And I've already stated that the term is an axiom, wherefore the term God in scripture is a means for there to be deductive and inductive reasoning.

I've studied linguistics most all of my life. The term "belief/believe" cannot be applied to God in the context of existing or not existing since it's an axiom in scripture. This is provable since "believe" in scripture actually implies "trust" and not "superstition". For example when Christ says, he who believes on me has eternal life, he was not implying to those that he was speaking to that they should believe he exists, since he's standing right there speaking to them and obviously exists. It's through taking words such as these out of context, that oftentimes "faith" gets conflated with "belief in existence/superstition", and also the term "God" then becomes conflated with "religion".

I will also say that all may say their god is the creator of the universe but not all will agree on all the characteristics or properties of that God as can be seen in any of the Christian forums.
The above articulation is correct and therefore logically reasonable in it's premise. What you are accurately describing is articulated in scripture as having many differing "images" of God/gods. The term "God/gods" therefore becomes subjective in this application. But objectively speaking, since we are all part of the same creation, so also in reality do we all have the same God.

Why do you believe god as you define it exists?
As I have previously pointed out, I don't define God. I learned what the term means according to scripture. Nor therefore can God be articulated in the context of existence according to that definition, (unless you mean to qualify it existing as a subjective belief/opinion about God/gods).

I think you mean to ask, Why do you believe in the Christ as the True Image of God? There is no false premise to deal with when asked this way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I get what you mean. But I'm using the term God as presented in scripture for the sake of clarity, as opposed to promoting obfuscation, misunderstanding, and/or disinformation about Christianity.
I understand that is what you believe scripture to be saying about God. Other Christians may or may not define God the way you do.

Respectfully, in reality it's not "my" definition of God. It's the scriptural definition meaning the Creator of everything. Since I have read scripture I learned the meaning of the term accordingly. And I've already stated that the term is an axiom, wherefore the term God in scripture is a means for there to be deductive and inductive reasoning.
I know you believe this is true. Please don't speak for other people.

I've studied linguistics most all of my life. The term "belief/believe" cannot be applied to God in the context of existing or not existing since it's an axiom in scripture.
Everything we think is true is a belief. We cannot know anything for certain. What we believe to be true is based on the evidence and how each of us individually evaluates that evidence. Until you can give convincing evidence that God exists I am afraid you cannot say belief (as you describe it) of Gods existence cannot be applied to God.

This is provable since "believe" in scripture actually implies "trust" and not "superstition". For example when Christ says, he who believes on me has eternal life, he was not implying to those that he was speaking to that they should believe he exists, since he's standing right there speaking to them and obviously exists. It's through taking words such as these out of context, that oftentimes "faith" gets conflated with "belief in existence/superstition", and also the term "God" then becomes conflated with "religion".
That does not change anything. What are the reasons for the trust, what is it based on?

The above articulation is correct and therefore logically reasonable in it's premise. What you are accurately describing is articulated in scripture as having many differing "images" of God/gods. The term "God/gods" therefore becomes subjective in this application. But objectively speaking, since we are all part of the same creation, so also in reality do we all have the same God.
If only one God actually exists then I agree. However, no one has given sufficient reasons to believe this is so.

As I have previously pointed out, I don't define God. I learned what the term means according to scripture. Nor therefore can God be articulated in the context of existence according to that definition, (unless you mean to qualify it existing as a subjective belief/opinion about God/gods).
Everyone decides what they think god is for themselves. You don't get to decide that for others. Some Christians believe God to be a trinity some do not. A triune God and a non triune God cannot be the same God.

I think you mean to ask, Why do you believe in the Christ as the True Image of God? There is no false premise to deal with when asked this way.
This is actually not what I was asking. So Why do you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0