Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't know what denominations have to do with anything, but completely separate from whatever that question might mean, it should be reiterated that CF and computers and Bible software are not a substitute for going to church and participating in God there.

Upvote 0

Aabbie James

Maintain love and truth in perfect balance
Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟37,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All Christians (i.e., sinners saved, believers, those born of water and the Spirit) are "in Christ"; therefore they are all one with the Father, and one with each other as well. Notice carefully what Christ says in John 17:22-23: "[I pray] that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity."

The basis of that unity is not a denominational affiliation; it is our position in Christ.

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do we need any one denomination? We have the apostle's teaching, and CF for discussion, also computers and bible software. As Paul said, all things are ours.
I'm not sure what you're actually asking. Could you clarify?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know what denominations have to do with anything, but completely separate from whatever that question might mean, it should be reiterated that CF and computers and Bible software are not a substitute for going to church and participating in God there.
Unlike early churches, we are blessed with bibles, software, real time internet chat so we can learn and discuss what we learn. We have every denomination on CF, not just one like at church on Sunday. How can a Sunday sermon compete with that?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you mean "a Sunday sermon"? Why do you single the sermon out?
Because it relates to learning. At Sunday service you only get your denominations doctrine, but at CF you have all denominations to learn from.

• Agree
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All Christians (i.e., sinners saved, believers, those born of water and the Spirit) are "in Christ"; therefore they are all one with the Father, and one with each other as well. Notice carefully what Christ says in John 17:22-23: "[I pray] that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity."

The basis of that unity is not a denominational affiliation; it is our position in Christ.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unlike early churches, we are blessed with bibles, software, real time internet chat so we can learn and discuss what we learn.

My experience is that most people with software misuse/misinterpret it and reach the wrong conclusions. And most theology on Internet chat is blatant heresy.

Why do I need a denomination?

Putting aside the benefits of a denomination for now, you need a church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
True, I learn a lot with the Internet but I wish I can go to an Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Why do we need any one denomination? We have the apostle's teaching, and CF for discussion, also computers and bible software. As Paul said, all things are ours.

I wondered the same thing not too long ago:

FORUMISTS

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Because it relates to learning. At Sunday service you only get your denominations doctrine, but at CF you have all denominations to learn from.

Hmm. I don't want to seem contrarian or pedantic, but I would not single out the sermon to be the part that most relates to learning. The sermon in all traditional churches is going to be tied to the readings (as everything is supposed to follow the liturgical calendar/cycle), providing a reinforcement of what we ought to have already heard, so it's not like it's devoid of learning, but the entire liturgy/mass/service is instructive. That's precisely why, even on an intellectual level (i.e., outside of any debate about sacraments), it cannot be replaced by CF and Bible software. I can link to a million videos of liturgies, but just like a "do-it-yourself" video on YouTube, watching someone else do it can only educate you so much. To really learn, you need to actually do it.

There's no substitute for showing up.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
True, I learn a lot with the Internet but I wish I can go to an Orthodox Church.

You will, my friend. Hang in there. It took me three years and a move of 1,200 miles before I could go to a liturgy, but then I did and it was worth it. I pray that you have the same experience, but more so. (Meaning a little closer to home and sooner, maybe. :D)

• Friendly
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My experience is that most people with software misuse/misinterpret it and reach the wrong conclusions. And most theology on Internet chat is blatant heresy.

Putting aside the benefits of a denomination for now, you need a church.
That's why we discuss it, hear all sides, all denominations, all opinions, and we prove all things in an objective manner. We cant do that in a denomination because we only get one opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That's why we discuss it, hear all sides, all denominations, all opinions, and we prove all things in an objective manner. We cant do that in a denomination because we only get one opinion.

Neither can you do that here, because no one is objective. Not even you. ;)

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Strictly speaking we don't need denominations, yet they are a consequence of Churches not in communion with one another. So it seems like an odd question to ask.

The way you are presenting things, it's as if we can do Christianity on our own. Not ever has Christianity been done from a source text alone but always in direct relation to other people. The internet, as good as it is, cannot substitute for the way Church has been done for the last 2000 years, in person, receiving the sacraments and belonging to a real flesh and blood community.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
but the entire liturgy/mass/service is instructive

And beneficial in ways that go beyond instruction, including:
  • Corporate prayer
  • Corporate praise
  • The sacraments
  • The fellowship
  • Being in a place where Jesus is present in a special way (Matthew 18:20)
There's no substitute for showing up.

Exactly.

Upvote 0