Why do we need stored memories in the brain?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If the spirit survives the death of the body and has recollection of personality and memory, why do we need a physical brain to store memory?
That’s an interesting question. I’ve often wondered what happens to soul when a person is in a vegetative state. Anyway, only comment I have. Just wanted to be alerted when someone posts. :wave:

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If the spirit survives the death of the body and has recollection of personality and memory, why do we need a physical brain to store memory?
RAM vs EPROM

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

Perhaps for the benefit of the ego or personality.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I have wondered that myself ... a few times.

What if the brain is the IOS - the accessor to the data but does not have the data itself?

What if brain damage is merely damage to the accessing machinery but the data remains?

Imagine that the brain is the bicycle -- the rider is the soul/spirit

When the rider gets a new bicycle -- it is the same rider.

Reactions: Sorn
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Man is a tripartite: body, soul, spirit.

Body = soma = feeds on food

Soul = psyche = feeds on emotions

Spirit = pneuma = feeds on things of God

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
RAM vs EPROM

forms of storage but what about the accessor logic and the CPU? what if the accessing logic is the brain and it also contains the CPU - but it has no data without the soul/spirit. And as someone else noted personality/character formation might also be soul/spirit and less about "machinery"/hardware.

The clock speed and the capability of the CPU could all be just hardware. But what programing logic? What data? what character? -- maybe that is all soul/spirit.

even during brain surgery when they stimulate the memory-access hardware for the brain - it replays a memory - but is that memory simply being "accessed" there by the brain - or do a couple of cells in your brain perfectly encode the sight, feeling, sound, temp, emotion you had when you tossed that fire cracker in the driveway when you were 12? If 5 cells are doing it then what are they using to store the information... ribosomes? Mitochondria?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What if the brain is the IOS - the accessor to the data but does not have the data itself?
The brain is considered part of the body, whereas the soul resides in the heart.

(If I understand tripartite theology correctly.)

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can only figure that as incarnate spirits we need to operate this body and to do that we need senses and some kind of localized processing centrality, like ego. The ego, because of its very hardwired nature, needs ready access to hardwired memory. Spirit uses the ego while in the body.

I don't know. It baffles me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The brain is considered part of the body, whereas the soul resides in the heart.

What happens to the recipient of a heart transplant?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

In the heart? Do you mean the blood pumping organ or are you using heart symbolically ? If symbolically then "soul resides in the symbol" still needs the literal translation for that symbol.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

The heart is often used in scripture as a metaphor for a person's inner, true self or soul, and not the anatomical body part, but I'm not speaking for anyone else here on that one though considering how many strict bible literalists seem to reside on CF who probably do believe there is a soul living in there, and that a tiny little physical Jesus often stands outside knocking to get in. :)

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
QV please: Post 287 and subsequent posts.

When someone dies, the soul is no longer in the heart, right? So if you put the heart with no soul into the body of another person what soul do they have when their original, diseased heart is removed?

Or are they in purgatory because their original heart is dead?

Is it a sin to perform heart transplants?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In the heart? Do you mean the blood pumping organ or are you using heart symbolically ? If symbolically then "soul resides in the symbol" still needs the literal translation for that symbol.
Proverbs 23:7a For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It seems to be a backup for the heart.

(CLV) Hb 10:16
"`This is the covenant which I shall be covenanting with them after those days,' the Lord is saying, `imparting My laws to their hearts, I shall be inscribing them on their comprehension also,

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When someone dies, the soul is no longer in the heart, right? So if you put the heart with no soul into the body of another person what soul do they have when their original, diseased heart is removed?
They will still be themselves. Their brain will reprogram their new heart.

If you put a new hard drive into a computer, and reload your software onto it, voila ... there you go.
awitch said:
Or are they in purgatory because their original heart is dead?
There's no such thing as purgatory.
awitch said:
Is it a sin to perform heart transplants?
No.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

That's like asking why we need a body. God designed us to have one, and God designed the brain to coordinate all the body's fucntions, and to be a physical house to all the aspects of our personhood. Even if it's referred to as "the heart", the actual physical location, is the brain. Not a muscle that creates a blood pressure flow to FEED the brain. "Heart" just means the core of your being, not the physical blood pump.
When people get a heart transplant it's the person who's brain received the heart that wakes up, not the person who donated the heart.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

It's a huge misconception to associate "the heart" when the bible talks about it to mean the blood pumping organ. You do not think or feel with your physical heart. The fact that it can be replaced by a machine, or transplanted, and you wake up with your identity intact, should clearly indicate this.

Upvote 0