Why Do We Get Onto the Rich About Taxes?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What an odd discussion:
"There are SOOO many opportunities to get rich in the US....."
"And education is a waste of time and money"

If one's purpose is to get rich education (college) is the worst place to invest your time and money. Better to buy real estate.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
If one's purpose is to get rich education (college) is the worst place to invest your time and money. Better to buy real estate.
Cause no one has lost money speculating on the real estate market. And everyone in America can do that and a) support themselves and b) get rich.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Cause no one has lost money speculating on the real estate market. And everyone in America can do that and a) support themselves and b) get rich.

I mean buy quality real estate in a down market and either live in it or manage it properly. It is 'everyman's' path to wealth. Of course not everyone can do this, or even wants to. Not everyone can go to college either. Sadly people are subtly given two choices in life: go to college, or be a failure.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I mean buy quality real estate in a down market and either live in it or manage it properly. It is 'everyman's' path to wealth. Of course not everyone can do this, or even wants to. Not everyone can go to college either. Sadly people are subtly given two choices in life: go to college, or be a failure.
IT's a misnomer that "not everyone can go to college". Some people choose not to because learning is hard; some people choose not to because "learning is dumb/waste of time".
Almost everyone COULD go to college if they saw the value of education and wanted to work to it.

As for "everyman's path to wealth...well, not really:
1) You have to be of age AND have the right amount of money to have access to quality real estate (which is really not all that common)
2) a "down market" NOBODY has control over that (except for the illuminati).

Honestly, it's more that people choose one of two things:
1) Approach life with a curious nature, an open mind, a willingness to grow, mature and learn
or
2) Just be fine with whatever and right now is good enough.

It's that mindset that chooses the path. It's less about capacity and more about attitude (though admitedly not EXCLUSIVELY about either).

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How does one get the money, to buy the real estate?

Earn it. Start out with jobs you can do and save up money by not spending beyond what you're making. When you have enough, buy some real estate, become a landlord and rent out property to tenants.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Earn it. Start out with jobs you can do and save up money by not spending beyond what you're making. When you have enough, buy some real estate, become a landlord and rent out property to tenants.

Sounds easy. But, what if one cant earn enough money, because their earning potential and skills are limited? Wouldnt a person higher earning potential, have a huge advantage, in buying the quality real estate, with best chance of increasing value.

I typically find, the folks that diss a college education, are the folks that dont have one.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sounds easy. But, what if one cant earn enough money, because their earning potential and skills are limited? Wouldnt a person higher earning potential, have a huge advantage, in buying the quality real estate, with best chance of increasing value.

If they don't already have the skills, then they need to get some, either by going to college or learning their skills some other way. But some people don't feel the need to be "rich" to be happy. Some people are more content with less, or doing more things that don't require money. I'm one of those. I live alone, and I don't live in a high class area, don't have cable TV or internet at home, I don't drink or smoke or use drugs, and I don't eat out but once a week. I also ride a bicycle when I can instead of driving a car. I don't charge more to a credit card than what I can pay off each month. Most people I know do the opposite of what I do and it costs them more. But I'm content with what I have, which costs me less.

I typically find, the folks that diss a college education, are the folks that dont have one.

Makes sense. If a person doesn't think it's best to go to college, he won't go. They would be hypocritical otherwise, unless they went and found that it didn't end up being what it was made out to be.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
IT's a misnomer that "not everyone can go to college". Some people choose not to because learning is hard; some people choose not to because "learning is dumb/waste of time".
Almost everyone COULD go to college if they saw the value of education and wanted to work to it.

As for "everyman's path to wealth...well, not really:
1) You have to be of age AND have the right amount of money to have access to quality real estate (which is really not all that common)
2) a "down market" NOBODY has control over that (except for the illuminati).

Honestly, it's more that people choose one of two things:
1) Approach life with a curious nature, an open mind, a willingness to grow, mature and learn
or
2) Just be fine with whatever and right now is good enough.

It's that mindset that chooses the path. It's less about capacity and more about attitude (though admitedly not EXCLUSIVELY about either).

We are in general agreement that everyone can succeed in America.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
We are in general agreement that everyone can succeed in America.
I think it depends on how you mean "succeed". I think anyone can survive in America but not everyone can thrive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think it depends on how you mean "succeed". I think anyone can survive in America but not everyone can thrive.

One problem is that people have unrealistic time frames for success. It's the "I want it all and I want it now" attitude. They should take a lesson from Ulysses Grant (or from me).

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The point isn't to deprecate a college education. It is to point out that it isn't necessary for building wealth, as the purveyors of a college education want us to believe. I cite real estate because it has the ability to build wealth with little time or management involved. One can work an 8 to 5 job while one's home is building wealth over time, for less than rent. The 'openers' in the real estate game is of course the dreaded down payment :eek: , which may take some time to accumulate but is the gateway to the investment.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: dgiharris
Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The point isn't to deprecate a college education. It is to point out that it isn't necessary for building wealth, as the purveyors of a college education want us to believe. I cite real estate because it has the ability to build wealth with little time or management involved. One can work an 8 to 5 job while one's home is building wealth over time, for less than rent. The 'openers' in the real estate game is of course the dreaded down payment :eek: , which may take some time to accumulate but is the gateway to the investment.

If you want to talk about a path towards wealth that is more or less independent of education and yet something that "most" of the masses have access to then there is one thing I strongly advocate...

SALES

Sales is one of the hardest things to do and requires more drive and persistence than it does actual education. It is tough and there are plenty of people with education and pedigree that fall flat on their faces. Conversely, there are tons of people who don't have the education that learn from the school of hard knocks and go on to make money hand over fist...

whether you are selling vacuum cleaners or cars or makeup, sales is one of those things that can put "anyone" onto the path to riches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you want to talk about a path towards wealth that is more or less independent of education and yet something that "most" of the masses have access to then there is one thing I strongly advocate...

SALES

Sales is one of the hardest things to do and requires more drive and persistence than it does actual education. It is tough and there are plenty of people with education and pedigree that fall flat on their faces. Conversely, there are tons of people who don't have the education that learn from the school of hard knocks and go on to make money hand over fist...

whether you are selling vacuum cleaners or cars or makeup, sales is one of those things that can put "anyone" onto the path to riches.

I admire those good at selling. I couldn't sell umbrellas in a rainstorm (so I was reduced to investing in rental property). :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

SALES

Some truth in what you say.

I spent a long time in sales, in a professional field relating to healthcare and although I have an advanced degree, the skills required to be successful in sales and promoting services and products, has little to do with having an advanced degree.

Relating with people and understanding how others tick, is by far, the most important skill to be successful in any type of sales and having a strong motivation to succeed, is also important, but that motivation to succeed, won't get you far, if you don't have the skills to relate to people.

Being in healthcare, I have been around a whole bunch of folks with a very high level of education and extremely intelligent people, in their specific field. Most of these folks, couldn't relate enough to people, to sell water to someone stranded in the desert.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Some truth in what you say.

I spent a long time in sales, in a professional field relating to healthcare and although I have an advanced degree, the skills required to be successful in sales and promoting services and products, has little to do with having an advanced degree.

Relating with people and understanding how others tick, is by far, the most important skill to be successful in any type of sales and having a strong motivation to succeed, is also important, but that motivation to succeed, won't get you far, if you don't have the skills to relate to people.

Being in healthcare, I have been around a whole bunch of folks with a very high level of education and extremely intelligent people, in their specific field. Most of these folks, couldn't relate enough to people, to sell water to someone stranded in the desert.

Sales is very similar to a line of work I used to engage in-- I used to be a negotiator for a fortune 500 company. Specifically, I negotiated supplier deals and R&D tech development deals.

One of the biggest keys in negotiation that is directly related to sales is the ability to LISTEN.
I can't stress enough the importance of listening and understanding EXACTLY what the other party's concerns and desires are. Too often, people think they are listening when in reality they aren't listening. Instead, they are thinking about what they want to say next.

Once you truly listen, then you can understand exactly what the other party wants and then you can maneuver in such a way that you give them what they want while simultaneously getting what you want. Of course, that is not always possible. But it becomes 10 times more likely if you understand the art of listening. And it is an art. Something like 60% of all communication involves high levels of misunderstanding. In fact, you see it in this forum all the time. It's human nature....

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
This isn't God's word for me:

Ephesians 5:5 and Colossians 3:5 are, these were written to all Christians from the penniless all the way up to the rich.

Those passages condemn the wealthy far more than they do the poor.

Upvote 0