• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Do We Get Onto the Rich About Taxes?

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Saucy, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Belk

Belk Senior Member

+5,038
    Agnostic
    Married
    I don't find you to be a credible source for reasoning behind the advocates for the poor.

2. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Alpha Male (Retired) Supporter

+4,725
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I take it you don't agree with me. :mad:

3. Belk

Belk Senior Member

+5,038
    Agnostic
    Married
    In this? No. I don't think you understand the mindset or actions of the people you are describing here. I do think your idea on training people to fish has merit and I feel many of those who wish to help the poor would agree with it.

4. pakicetus

pakicetus sternodraugaz

+1,867
    Lutheran
    Ask someone working in a sweatshop how grateful that makes them feel.

5. Stellar Vision

Stellar Vision Regular Member

+118
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat

6. VulcanLogician

VulcanLogician New Member

+3
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    I see what you're saying Saucy, it's gotten really bad with taxes. Nobody wants to be rich anymore. Nobody! I have friends who work two jobs and struggle to make ends meet, but they're like "At least we're not billionaires who have to pay all those taxes." I see their point, too. Remember a while back when nobody claimed that winning powerball ticket? That was my friend. I was with her when she found out her ticket had the winning numbers. She immediately set it on fire and told us to never speak of it. Nobody wants to be rich anymore. Too many taxes. Thank God I'm broke.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  7. OldWiseGuy

+4,725
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    They should do it, but instead of making it a suggestion they should insist on it.

8. Belk

Belk Senior Member

+5,038
    Agnostic
    Married
    It seems to me that they do. It also seems to me they are constantly fighting for funding.

9. OldWiseGuy

+4,725
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I think the system is flooded with people who aren't really poor. Weed them out and there might be enough money for those who need it. Government loans and grants are routinely abused, especially for education. Maybe that could be a source of funding.

10. Belk

Belk Senior Member

+5,038
    Agnostic
    Married
    I think you have no position to be informed on what is happening in "the system" and that those who do disagree with you.

11. OldWiseGuy

+4,725
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    If they would agree with me maybe they could get more done.

I leave it in their hands. Like many here I'm just commenting from the 'cheap seats' (noting that the best overall view is from up here). :D

12. Belk

Belk Senior Member

+5,038
    Agnostic
    Married
    Likely the best choice. It seems obvious we don't really care all that much about the issue (myself included). :wave:

13. OldWiseGuy

+4,725
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I would care more if my voice was heard. :(

14. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+3,759
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Show me one of those sweatshops here in America, and then I'll ask them. Since we're talking about minimum wage here, we're talking about it in America.

15. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+3,759
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Sometimes also, the system penalizes people who are trying to get off of it. Take SSI and SSDI as an example. They will allow someone to work up to a certain point and earn a certain amount with no penalty, but then demand back entire months worth of benefits if they make a dollar more. It gives the person the incentive to only work up to that amount and no more, unless they can make significantly more to overcome the sudden loss of benefits plus enough more to work twice as much as they already worked.

16. OldWiseGuy

+4,725
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    This is true, but there has to be a line drawn at some point. It would be better to 'ease' people off from these programs however.

17. Belk

Belk Senior Member

+5,038
    Agnostic
    Married
    If you had ideas people agreed with you would be more likely to be heard. Some of your ideas are... problematic.

18. drjean

drjean Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,310
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    [​IMG]

19. OldWiseGuy

+4,725
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others

My 'problematic' ideas are just the old tried-and-true ones that have always worked. They may sound strange to some though, who no doubt have never heard a really good idea. ^_^

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  20. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+10,858
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Opinion.