God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why? GTA is a life-realistic game involving violence against people, but Doom is a science-fiction game of violence against demons and zombies.

Well some people seem to think that everyone they disagree with is a demon, or possessed by demons.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Bad memory there . I hated westerns as a child - someone was always getting shot and killed. I thought there was something wrong with me because I didn’t enjoy them or the monster movies where people get killed. I used to watch violent movies deliberately as a teen to harden myself . I finally realized that I just hate stuff like that and won’t watch them anymore . I can now watch older movies like Creature From the Black Lagoon because they are so obviously fake that they aren’t scary
Creature from the Black Lagoon is one of my favourite movies. Classic 1950s monster movie. One thing I've never understood, though, is why they used different actors for the land and water scenes. Surely a man in a rubber suit doesn't need a body double :scratch:

• Haha
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟243,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Creature from the Black Lagoon is one of my favourite movies. Classic 1950s monster movie. One thing I've never understood, though, is why they used different actors for the land and water scenes. Surely a man in a rubber suit doesn't need a body double :scratch:

I doubt industry standards were very strict back then, but it may be that the dude who played the land based scenes couldn't swim or had a water phobia, and/or the dude in the water scenes was specially trained for diving in a rubber suit? IDK, maybe?

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I doubt industry standards were very strict back then, but it may be that the dude who played the land based scenes couldn't swim or had a water phobia, and/or the dude in the water scenes was specially trained for diving in a rubber suit? IDK, maybe?
I've done a bit more digging and suspect you're on the right lines. Ben Chapman, who did the land scenes, was rather tall. Ricou Browning, who did the water scenes, was somewhat shorter but he was a stuntman who did a lot of underwater stuff. And since we don't see Gillman with anyone underwater size doesn't matter.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've done a bit more digging and suspect you're on the right lines. Ben Chapman, who did the land scenes, was rather tall. Ricou Browning, who did the water scenes, was somewhat shorter but he was a stuntman who did a lot of underwater stuff. And since we don't see Gillman with anyone underwater size doesn't matter.
Did this give you goosebumps?
A geology expedition in the Amazon uncovers fossilized evidence (a skeletal hand with webbed fingers) from the Devonian period that provides a direct link between land and sea animals.

SOURCE

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
AV How would you know that the Devonian was fictional since you obviously don’t understand geology?

it’s funny, I don’t mind hearing about toxic or violent behavior in a song ( but only if I’m in a good mood) but can’t stand seeing it . I was thinking about Wilson Pickett’s version of Stagger Lee or even ICP ‘s Tiltawhirl to use a more modern song . Despite that I can’t stand rap because of the misogyny.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It is profitable for us to learn from others experiences as well as our own.
I would go further and say it is insane not to learn from the experiences of others.

Upvote 0

Dahlia Grace

Nov 17, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
✟8,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Interestingly enough, when you are in emotional pain or witness distress from another human, this incites a response from the vagus nerve that also causes you to feel pain (this is why your chest hurts when you are given bad news, such as the death of a loved one or a break-up text).
This is programmed empathy. It follows the fundamental axiom of medicine that all pain or feeling comes from a complex physical response.

God gave us this response in order to better empathize and co-exist with other humans. Yes, we are highly social beings, and feeling pain when you witness distress (physical, emotional, or otherwise) is a natural response :)

In terms of the rubber-hand experiment, this kind of plays with your brain's "mental map" of your body. It may also be used to explain why people that suffer amputations will feel phantom suggestions- your brain is hardwired to keep track of where all your body parts are and to promptly respond if it detects any possible damaging stimuli.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,042.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Interestingly enough, when you are in emotional pain or witness distress from another human, this incites a response from the vagus nerve that also causes you to feel pain (this is why your chest hurts when you are given bad news, such as the death of a loved one or a break-up text).
This is programmed empathy. It follows the fundamental axiom of medicine that all pain or feeling comes from a complex physical response.
I've never experienced such chest pains under those circumstances. Does that mean I missed that particular 'program'?
(Evidence please).
Dahlia Grace said:
God gave us this response in order to better empathize and co-exist with other humans. Yes, we are highly social beings, and feeling pain when you witness distress (physical, emotional, or otherwise) is a natural response :)
Is God a natural response too?

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,555.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The vagus nerve is also a potential cause for sudden death.
As a teenager I knew of a 14 year old girl apparently perfectly healthy who literally dropped dead.
Years later I was able to obtain a copy of her death certificate which listed the cause of death as a vagal inhibition.
It appears the vagus nerve was stimulated which caused the brain to send a signal to the heart to stop beating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums