California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
I've notices that some posters ask this question. I'll tell you why (I) come here..... And I hope this may shed a little light for (some) others, maybe...

My background...

I've been married a long time. When we got married, we were both believers. Well, I thought I was anyways... I no longer believe, at least at present.... Since I no longer believe, I ponder the 'reasons' I no longer believe. I post them here to see if they are for sound reasons.

So when the theists ask.. "why do you even hang out here?' Maybe this might provide a little sliver, as to some of the reasons(s) unbelievers come here...

Also, my inner circle of family and friends do not like to speak about the possible 'pitfalls' of this belief system. I then instead post such questions here. Also, such a topic can drive a wedge, or permanent discord, between my family and friends. Hence, some of us unbelievers find it more convenient to instead ask here, where there exists no 'love loss'.

There really is no question to be had here, just an FYI :) Thanks

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My background...

I've been married a long time. When we got married, we were both believers. Well, I thought I was anyways... I no longer believe, at least at present.... Since I no longer believe, I ponder the 'reasons' I no longer believe. I post them here to see if they are for sound reasons.

I would advise caution here. Your behavior on this forum has an indirect impact on your marriage. Hopefully your spouse is aware that you post here and take a fairly aggressive anti-religious stance?

To be somewhat blunt: you may be subconsciously storing up ammo for religious fights with your spouse.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
I would advise caution here. Your behavior on this forum has an indirect impact on your marriage. Hopefully your spouse is aware that you post here and take a fairly aggressive anti-religious stance?

To be somewhat blunt: you may be subconsciously storing up ammo for religious fights with your spouse.

Thanks for the concern. But we have fought plenty about this topic, over the past couple years. I no longer bring it up with her. And she already knows I now post here. But thanks.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
Your post makes me curious what seems to have caused the removal of your trust from something you might have trusted before.

Wow, that's really a large. deep, and complex question. Have you seen some of my topics posted? Provided you haven't, in a nutshell, I'll start here....

'Evidence' seems to be lacking, that a man named Jesus 'resurrected from the dead.'

Couple this with the many cited 'discrepancies' I've 'found', leads me to conclude there seems
no 'possibility' that this rendition of prior belief, could be accurate.

Could I be wrong? Of course...

But it's like I've told others....

It's like arguing with a 'flat earther.'

Though future information may change, in that scientific inquiry may re-categorize the shape of the earth, will the (final) conclusion, ever again prevail, that the earth IS actually flat?

Same goes for Christianity. Though I do not know for sure, whether or not life was 'created', the story, as presented by Christianity, appears far and away removed from perceived 'reality', at least where I'm concerned.

I hope this helps?

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
having known only one atheist, she told me not to talk about Jesus to her

she was very intelligent, a member of Mensa, very logical, and interested in philosophy & numbers

don't know if it's true or not but it seems some intellectuals like my HS friend see things as logical, mathematical , etc so Christianity doesn't "fit" into their understanding of things

If you hang about on here, you'll get the chance to see more of atheists, which might give you a more accurate impression of us.
And while it is true that atheists tend to talk more about the importance of logic and reason, at least when speaking to Christians, this is usually because they find the things Christians say to be very illogical and unreasonable, and so they feel the need to correct them.

• Agree
Reactions: cvanwey
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow, that's really a large. deep, and complex question. Have you seen some of my topics posted? Provided you haven't, in a nutshell, I'll start here....

'Evidence' seems to be lacking, that a man named Jesus 'resurrected from the dead.'

Couple this with the many cited 'discrepancies' I've 'found', leads me to conclude there seems
no 'possibility' that this rendition of prior belief, could be accurate.

Could I be wrong? Of course...

But it's like I've told others....

It's like arguing with a 'flat earther.'

Though future information may change, in that scientific inquiry may re-categorize the shape of the earth, will the (final) conclusion, ever again prevail, that the earth IS actually flat?

Same goes for Christianity. Though I do not know for sure, whether or not life was 'created', the story, as presented by Christianity, appears far and away removed from perceived 'reality', at least where I'm concerned.

I hope this helps?
It does help, and I'll take some time to look at other posts. Perhaps you've already covered my next thought, which is:

Discrepancies? I'd like to hear which ones give you the most heartburn.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Since I no longer believe, I ponder the 'reasons' I no longer believe. I post them here to see if they are for sound reasons
That is one of my main reasons too.

One caveat I am sure you have considered is that Christianity has a multitude of theologies and then there are even more possibilities that are neither atheist nor Christian. So solidifying your NON-belief in a particular Christian theology doesn't tell you what you SHOULD believe instead. You need to take an inventory of any evidence for non-atheism/non-materialism that might still remain after the humpty-dumpty of your previous beliefs took a fall. Maybe all you have left is egg on your face LOL, but maybe there are still some loose ends.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, of course this is naturally something that people wonder about. And the answer is very simple.

Atheists secretly have doubts about their choices and are subconsciously looking for someone to help them change their minds.

That may be, but truthfully, when I was going to school to attempt to become "more enlightened" and "educated" on various topics, I didn't also take with me an acerbic, demeaning, critical attitude to display toward my professors or my fellow students.............such as is sometimes shown by atheists here on CF.

No, when I was attending the university, I typically just waltzed into each class that I took, found a seat, passively listened and more or less proactively cooperated with learning about things that I many times either didn't agree with or even had little vested interests in taking out of the class itself. I'm just often left wondering why atheists don't do something similar here if and when they say that "all they want is to become 'more learned' about what Christians in their various theologies think about such-and-such a topic."

Last edited:
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That may be, but truthfully, when I was going to school to attempt to become "more enlightened" and "educated" on various topics, I didn't also take with me an acerbic, demeaning, critical attitude to display toward my professors or my fellow students.............such as is sometimes shown by atheists here on CF.

No, when I was attending the university, I typically just waltzed into each class that I took, found a seat, passively listened and more or less proactively cooperated with learning about things that I many times either didn't agree with or even had little vested interests in taking out of the class itself. I'm just wondering often left wondering why atheists don't do something similar here if and when they say that "all they want is to become "more learned" about what Christians in their various theologies think about such-and-such a topic."
Just a little joke. You know perfectly well it's what many Christians think about atheists already.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
if they don't believe, why does it matter to them if others do believe?

why waste time "correcting"
if they believe they will die & cease to exist, shouldn't they be busy living their limited time alive?

If you read why (I) come here, maybe that notion is somewhat actually addressed? If I find (my) given points are not 'refuted', and yes, I know this could be some sort of a bias of mine, then I affirm one more 'reason', as to why my current position appears justified.

As I've stated in the past here, long ago...

If a specific god came down to represent their existence, in a way which was satisfying to (me), I would no longer DOUBT the mere existence. I could, however, still question their actions, and choose whether or not to follow them.

(i.e.) Say you somehow found out another asserted god or god(s) was the real deal. You would then no longer be an atheist towards that asserted proposition. But you might still question their 'morality' , logic, or other. You might also decide you do not wish to worship them, because you still like your own chosen god better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just a little joke. You know perfectly well it's what many Christians think about atheists already.

And atheists it seems to me tend to assume that Christians, any Christian really, couldn't ever have a useful, true thought in their heads, and it kind of shows in the 'shape' of the speech acts that are expressed toward Christians. This becomes peculiarly evident when a person of any kind posts on a website forum or enters into an institution that is of an opposite ideological polarity, whether that be a church, a university or even the local weekly atheist club.

Personally, if I were to go either to an atheist forum and/or sit in on a weekly atheist club meeting, I'd tend to keep to myself and attempt to NOT be caustic to those around me in any interlocutions I might make with the folks who's cup of tea that forum or club happens to be. I sure wouldn't be using pejoratives against them on their own home turf ................ I mean, there is a social context to these activities and interactions, and even as a Christian, it doesn't take long for me to see if and when I might be seen by others as an intruder in the mind ... o_O

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And atheists it seems to me tend to assume that Christians, any Christian really, couldn't ever have a useful, true thought in their heads, and it kind of shows in the 'shape' of the speech acts that are expressed toward Christians. This becomes peculiarly evident when a person of any kind posts on a website forum or enters into an institution that is of an opposite ideological polarity, whether that be a church, a university or even the local weekly atheist club.

Personally, if I were to go either an atheist forum and/or sit in on a weekly atheist club meeting, I'd tend to keep to myself and attempt to NOT be caustic to those around me in any interlocutions I might make with the folks who's cup of tea that forum or club happens to be. I sure wouldn't be using pejoratives against them on their own home turf ................ I mean, there is a social context to these activities and interactions, and even as a Christian, it doesn't take long for me to see if and when I might be seen by others as an intruder in the mind ...
Quite simply, Philo, I speak my mind. If something seems wrong I say so. And when you talk to people who believe in an invisible, unverified, self-contradictory entity, a great many of their conclusions tend to be mistaken because they are based on an unsound foundation.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll tell you why (I) come here..... Since I no longer believe, I ponder the 'reasons' I no longer believe. I post them here to see if they are for sound reasons.
The reason you are being asked why you are here is because your claimed reason does not match up with your actual behavior in regards to that purist. Now, you are inclined to double down on that claim, but it still won't match your behavior; so no one is going to believe it. Somehow you have convinced yourself you are here to see if your reasons are sound, part of that's true, but you cling to your conclusion at all costs, changing your past in accordance with what is required to deny a claim, and overlooking everything to the contrary by any means necessary. Now, you are inclined to double down on your claim of being genuine, but it still won't match your behavior; so no one is going to believe it. And neither should you. What your behavior does line up with, is one who wants to convince oneself that their reasons were sound, not one want's to know if their reasons are sound. Behavior speaks louder than words ever will.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Quite simply, Philo, I speak my mind. If something seems wrong I say so. And when you talk to people who believe in an invisible, unverified, self-contradictory entity, a great many of their conclusions tend to be mistaken because they are based on an unsound foundation.

The question then becomes: Where and how do you decide, as an atheist, to "speak your mind"? :dontcare:

In my own Social Science/Sociological/Christian Philosophy point of view, how one answers the above question if done truthfully can tell me a train-load of things.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private

No, when I was attending the university, I typically just waltzed into each class that I took, found a seat, passively listened and more or less proactively cooperated with learning about things that I many times either didn't agree with or even had little vested interests in taking out of the class itself. I'm just wondering often left wondering why atheists don't do something similar here if and when they say that "all they want is to become "more learned" about what Christians in their various theologies think about such-and-such a topic."

Most likely reasons for this, not because it's you, but because of the environment in general...

- You were still a 'snot-nosed' naive teen, or maybe in your early twenties, maybe/likely unsure and/or feared you might be easily 'refuted' by the 'higher' wisdom of your authoritative opponent (i.e.) professors.

- The same reason as when my wife drags me to church, I don't induce discord when I repeatedly hear claims in which I don't agree. I sit there, and listen...

- Maybe you did not wish to 'rock the boat.'

BUT HERE, I gather us skeptics, atheists, others, have come to a 'more sound' conclusion, after looking at various sides.

And again, here, we are given carte blanche, within 'reason', to voice our concerns in a public forum.

Upvote 0