Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can’t speak for everyone, but I believe it’s a form of reverence for God’s name by not speaking/writing it. I often see this in Jewish culture, but it’s not exclusive to them. I don’t want to say for certain, since I’m not someone who personally practices it.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I've maybe heard this explained and forgotten. Just wanting to understand this?

Yes @Duke of Stratford is correct, though "God" is not a name and is translated from "Elohim". It is a rabbinic tradition.

*I say "Yah" a lot...

• Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It actually comes from the influence of Messianic Jews on Evangelical Christians.
The practice itself was a tradition developed by early Jews to not take the name of God in vain, essentially a "rabbinic fence". Ironically enough, I have read that this tradition came around the Early days of Christianity and was used to suppress the Faith. I don't think you will find any evidence for that practice until around the time of the early Talmudic era because the New Testament in the Gospels show that blasphemy laws were still in effect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

It comes from the Jewish Religion where they would not even speak His name but used substatutes instead.

Today when Christians use the G-D it is an attempt to be more Holy or Pious that every other Christian, look at me I'm so Holy I won't even use the word GOD as others do.

I find is odd that those same Christians that insist on G-D will use Jesus and not even think about it that He is also GOD, shouldn't it be J---S then there are those who will also use Yeshua as well.

They will even say Jesus Christ but not Yeshua Mashiach

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find is odd that those same Christians that insist on G-D will use Jesus and not even think about it that He is also GOD, shouldn't it be J---S

In general, the people who write "G-d" don't believe in the Trinity.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Messianic Jews believe in the Trinity. and use G-d

I've certainly interacted with Messianic Jews on this very forum who explained that they did not write "J---s" because, they said, Jesus was not God.

I can't speak for all Messianic Jews, of course; I've only had limited contact.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can’t speak for everyone, but I believe it’s a form of reverence for God’s name by not speaking/writing it. I often see this in Jewish culture, but it’s not exclusive to them. I don’t want to say for certain, since I’m not someone who personally practices it.

it is a Jewish thing. Haven't seen it in any other faith. Messianic Jews are Christians who have kept their Jewish customs- like Jesus and most of the apostles would have (save maybe Luke?) dito with Hebrew Roots. though some gentlies joined Hebrew roots and "converted" to being Jewish believers.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
it is a Jewish thing. Haven't seen it in any other faith. Messianic Jews are Christians who have kept their Jewish customs- like Jesus and most of the apostles would have (save maybe Luke?) dito with Hebrew Roots. though some gentlies joined Hebrew roots and "converted" to being Jewish believers.
If I can make a minor adjustment to your post, not to try to nitpick but Luke was not an apostle.

Upvote 0