why do some Christians think wearing make up is a sin?

A

AlephBet

Why do some Christians think wearing make up and hair dye are sins? There is nothing in the Bible to say that altering one`s appearance is a sin?

Does our true groom desire outer or inner beauty?

Jeremiah 4:30
And you, O desolate one, what do you mean that you dress in scarlet, that you adorn yourself with ornaments of gold, that you enlarge your eyes with paint? In vain you beautify yourself. Your lovers despise you; they seek your life.

2 Kings 9:30
When Jehu came to Jezreel, Jezebel heard of it. And she painted her eyes and adorned her head and looked out of the window.

More examples: LINK

In all cases, we are Eve below being refined. The groom is above. When it speaks of the feminine, it is referring to both the literal female and all of humanity below. Pride is the reason for adornment, lacking esteem for the true nature of the heart. Just like seeking riches, adorning the outer cup ignores the true state of the inner cup.

1 Peter 3

Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands,

Later in 1 Peter 3, it states that Jesus made proclamation to those who were imprisoned (spirit) after the flood. He then revealed that baptism back into the waters of life would allow them to again claim repentance in this life. The point of repentance is not to paint the soul with a body, but to mend the heart inside. The outside is the covering of the Spirit within. There are allusions here to painting the outside, but not addressing the inside. Desire to look beautiful should be form the inside out, not outside in.

Makeup is meaningless. It's not sin. A fake facade hiding the inner heart is sin.

Does our true groom desire outer or inner beauty?

Upvote 0

2ducklow

angel duck
Jul 29, 2005
✟9,570.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Why do some Christians think wearing make up and hair dye are sins? There is nothing in the Bible to say that altering one`s appearance is a sin?

it's because of this verse.

1 Timothy 2:9 9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

Mostly it's UPC folks. They believe makeup isn't being modest. UPC churches are the ones where most of the ladies have their hair up in buns, no make up, no earings etc. My dad use to say you can pick UPC women out in a crowd.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Carnality is sinful. We are to identify with God, not flesh.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Make up, hair dyes, etc wouldn't be bad if their manufacture, use, and disposal does not harm any of God's creations including your body.

The same applies to cars too.

And there are many things worse than women's adornment.

The only way to live perfectly is to live in perfect symbiosis with our primordial nature -that is nature before "the fall" many many millions of years ago. Our scientists are still figuring it out but we're getting close!

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Men, including most Christians, prefer women that look good. Makeup 'makes up' for the lack of natural beauty. God created his 'loved one' beautiful, and then adorned this being with every precious stone. Our wives should be pleasing to look at. If that takes makeup, lay it on girls. :thumbsup:

Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Men, including most Christians, prefer women that look good. Makeup 'makes up' for the lack of natural beauty.

Actually it covers up ill-health - glamour is not beauty, it is a mask worn over reality.

Upvote 0

James Is Back

CF's Official Locksmith
Aug 21, 2014
Oklahoma
✟32,480.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think that a lot of makeup sold in stores are filled with stuff that women don't need to put on their face.

As far as it being a sin I don't know. If you are wearing makeup just to look good for others then I say yes because that leads(or had led)to pride.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think that a lot of makeup sold in stores are filled with stuff that women don't need to put on their face.

As far as it being a sin I don't know. If you are wearing makeup just to look good for others then I say yes because that leads(or had led)to pride.

I think that ultimately women wear makeup because it is a conventional part of our culture. Most women have a basic makeup scheme for everyday appearance and 'glam it up' for special occasions. We men 'improve' our appearance by growing beards and building muscles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that ultimately women wear makeup because it is a conventional part of our culture. Most women have a basic makeup scheme for everyday appearance and 'glam it up' for special occasions. We men 'improve' our appearance by growing beards and building muscles.

Or shave our faces as the case may be. It seems beards were common place in Jesus' day.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Men, including most Christians, prefer women that look good. Makeup 'makes up' for the lack of natural beauty. God created his 'loved one' beautiful, and then adorned this being with every precious stone. Our wives should be pleasing to look at. If that takes makeup, lay it on girls. :thumbsup:

Perhaps, you didn't get my previous reply.

Makeup has a toxic brew of chemicals which may or may not kill you or make your life shorter or give you cancer, etc. But it will certainly affect your body in a way that is unnatural by design.

It is a cruelty imposed by society on how we must look good even if it harms us.

This verse is for you:

1 John 2:15
Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them.

Lastly, if you don't find women extremely attractive even without make up, you need to get your eyes checked and quit ogling make-up clad women!

Society cannot dictate which things I find attractive and those that I must despise!

Upvote 0
D

Devorim

If I were smart, and if I cared enough for those who see me about town, at work, and in worship, I would wear makeup. I should love humanity that much! But many mornings, I run out of the house, to these places, with not even a dash of lipstick. At least, I cover up my gray hair with dye and have since the day i realized that I looked dead with gray hair. But that's just me.

Actually it covers up ill-health - glamour is not beauty, it is a mask worn over reality.
That cracked me up -- that and several others things written here. You people are cute!

For me, it is that, indeed, it covers up ill-health. Yeah, according to the doctors, I am supposed to be dead, but so far, I think I still live! SO my wearing makeup, when I do, is a kindness. But makeup no longer covers up reality all that well. :amen:

Oh. And by the way, I wear biblically kosher makeup.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If I were smart, and if I cared enough for those who see me about town, at work, and in worship, I would wear makeup. I should love humanity that much! But many mornings, I run out of the house, to these places, with not even a dash of lipstick. At least, I cover up my gray hair with dye and have since the day i realized that I looked dead with gray hair. But that's just me.

That cracked me up -- that and several others things written here. You people are cute!

For me, it is that, indeed, it covers up ill-health. Yeah, according to the doctors, I am supposed to be dead, but so far, I think I still live! SO my wearing makeup, when I do, is a kindness. But makeup no longer covers up reality all that well. :amen:

Oh. And by the way, I wear biblically kosher makeup.

:thumbsup: My sister is 73 and in poor health but still wears some makeup when she goes out, "So I don't look like a trainwreck", she says. My wife (ex) absolutely needs makeup but our daughter doesn't and rarely uses it. She also fears the chemicals in it.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If I were smart, and if I cared enough for those who see me about town, at work, and in worship, I would wear makeup. I should love humanity that much!

If you're doing this for the love of humanity, then your intentions are good.

I still have to wear my neck tie to get to work and put stuff on my hair. I do it because I care enough for my co-workers...

...But deep down inside, I despise it. Did Jesus tell you, you'll look better in a make up or a suit?? Or was it the world which told you that it is good? Is our knowledge of good and evil based on the world or Jesus?

This is my verse for you:

1 John 2:16
For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.

I do it but I don't like it because I live in the Kingdom of God and in the Kingdom of God, nobody wears make up!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
D

Devorim

Well, I plan on wearing makeup on 17 March, because I am part Irish. Not only am I going to wear makeup that day, but I plan to add a lite sprinkle of freckles. If wearing it is not fun for the wearer, too, then half of the reason for wearing it is gone. And I intend to stay in the Kingdom.

As far as ties go, i think they were invented by a vindictive man-hater. So I would suggest to you that in the Kingdom, no one wears ties. :D

Oh! Do you intend Kingdom as in a religious organization?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lastly, if you don't find women extremely attractive even without make up, you need to get your eyes checked and quit ogling make-up clad women!

My 'ogling' days are over (I do 'appreciate 'though). :p

Upvote 0

joneysd

Apr 29, 2013
✟3,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't know any Christians who would think it was a sin but I guess if the changes were made to be more attractive to get sexual partners then I guess it would be deemed a problem.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
As far as ties go, i think they were invented by a vindictive man-hater. So I would suggest to you that in the Kingdom, no one wears ties. :D

It reminds me of a dog leash.

I don't know any Christians who would think it was a sin but I guess if the changes were made to be more attractive to get sexual partners then I guess it would be deemed a problem.

Absolutely speaking, wearing make-up doesn't make you more attractive.

The effect is purely psychological after thousands of years of mental conditioning that wearing make up makes you look better.

The concept of beauty is purely subjective. Some men will find women who doesn't wear make-up more attractive.

And since make-up entails extraneous cost and potentially toxic, in the absolute scheme of things in the scientific context (not religious), it is absolutely worse than without it. In the objective context, it is a waste.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It reminds me of a dog leash.

It's history is actually that of a phallic symbol. True.

Absolutely speaking, wearing make-up doesn't make you more attractive.

The effect is purely psychological after thousands of years of mental conditioning that wearing make up makes you look better.

The concept of beauty is purely subjective. Some men will find women who doesn't wear make-up more attractive.

I think you are conflating the terms 'attractive' and 'beauty'. Attraction is often quite subjective. Beauty is recognized more objectively. For example I have known many beautiful women (that everyone else agreed was beautiful).....that I was not attracted to in the least (except to briefly ogle). God says that the attraction between a man and a woman is a mystery, not explained by any societal criteria.

Upvote 0