1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

Why do some Christians dislike the NIV Bible?

Discussion in 'Bibliology & Hermeneutics' started by ChristianForCats, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Andrewn

Andrewn Well-Known Member CF Ambassadors Supporter

+3,936
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    I have a copy of the NAB and read it years ago. unfortunately, it is the edition where inclusive language was used in the Psalms. Perhaps the revised edition is better.

Bible Gateway also has the New Catholic Bible copyright © 2019 by Catholic Book Publishing Corp. I've been reading it regularly in conjunction with other translations and I like it. In the NT, I don't depend on any single translation.

Its English seems to flow better than RSV and ESV and it gives more weight to the LXX where the meaning in MT is not clear (rather than guessing the meaning). Have you tried this version?

Catholic Book Publishing - Catholic Book Publishing

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  2. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,643
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I think the original 1970 version didn't have that problem. I think that entered in the NABRE text. I don't know if any newer publications of the NABRE have fixed that.

The Grail version of the Psalms seems to be the way to go, or at least it's among the better ones. This is critical because the Liturgy of the Hours is so dependent on the Psalms.
    I have not tried that one. I thought, maybe mistakenly, that it was just the NRSV-CE.
    I would like something that pays attention to the LXX, particularly when the MT is actually written later and we have to assume the vowels are understood, which they aren't.

3. linux.poet

linux.poet Member

+169
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I agree here. Frequently I actually refer to the Psalms in NRSV because those sections sound like actual poetry written in English. By contrast the NASB Psalms seem wooden and lifeless.

I think if you know the original Hebrew and the true beauty of the Psalms the NRSV translation may sound like a loss, but if your key exposure to the Bible is English translations NRSV sounds like a thing of beauty.

(I also dearly love the ESV edition of Psalm 46.)