Why do some Christians believe homosexual sin is worse than others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

netzone23

May 4, 2009
✟16,943.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I work with two Christians who seem to think that homosexual sin is worse than others. Let me give you a quick backstory to what I'm talking about. I work in a bakery for 5 years and the bakery has three cake decorators 2 of them are Christians. We had a gay couple place a order for a wedding cake. Both of cake decorators who are Christians refused to make the wedding cake for the gay couple. They told the owner they will not make a wedding cake for people who live in sin and marriage is between a man and woman. The non-christian cake decorated made the wedding cake...so no problem.

Here is my issue both cake decorators have made cakes that involved people living in sin. For example they made a 5 year anniversary cake for a straight couple. One of the decorators asked if they plan on getting married? The man ordering the cake told her that he doesn't believe in marriage because its tied to religion and doesn't plan on ever getting married. So the christian decorator had no issues making that cake. If i'm correct these two people would be living in sin?

My last example is a man who divorced his wife and married her sister (his sister in law). First time he got married he used our bakery as well as the second time. If I'm correct the couple getting married would also be living in sin?

So the two Christians who I work with seem to think that the sin of homosexuals is worse than normal sin. I pointed out to one of the decorators that she is not performing the marriage ceremony she is just making a cake. She told me that by making the cake she would be helping them take part in sin. I debated with both decorators that sin is sin. The way both of them talked it seems like being gay is the worse sin of all. I pointed out about the guy divorcing his wife and they told me that being gay is worse than being divorced.

I personally believe that making a cake for someone isn't a big deal and I am a Christian. It's not like I'm performing the marriage ceremony. Am I wrong to think its not a big deal to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. A few other Christians I spoke to about this seem to think that being gay is almost as bad as murder! I tried to explain that sin is sin and they didn't seem to understand.

Just so everyone knows I believe being gay is a sin and is wrong. But if sin is sin why make this one seem so much worse?

I was wondering what's everyone's view on this?

• Agree
Reactions: Merleharlin

Tinyarch

Oct 15, 2016
Sarasota
✟16,452.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's not worse.
The problem is that liberal Christians say it isn't even a sin. They claim it's God created and not a choice. I think that claim has created a response from evangelical Christians that the Human Rights Campaign has used to say Christians are homophobic.

Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They claim it's God created and not a choice.
I'm not saying if it's wrong or not, that's between God and others. However, being attracted to the same sex isn't a choice, I didn't choose to be heterosexual, I just am.

I also made this thread to explain why...
Homosexuality & Preference Options

Upvote 0

Tinyarch

Oct 15, 2016
Sarasota
✟16,452.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm not saying if it's wrong or not, that's between God and others. However, being attracted to the same sex isn't a choice, I didn't choose to be heterosexual, I just am.

I also made this thread to explain why...
Homosexuality & Preference Options
Perhaps. Although I think there is a socio/cultural aspect to attraction as well. You can choose to say no to your attraction and you can change your attraction based upon getting to know a person.

What we know is that God has defined both heterosexual and homosexual sin. To explain these definitions away merely because it inconveniences our lust for pleasure cannot be justified.

Upvote 0

2X4

Jan 4, 2017
USA
✟16,445.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I work with two Christians who seem to think that homosexual sin is worse than others. Let me give you a quick backstory to what I'm talking about. I work in a bakery for 5 years and the bakery has three cake decorators 2 of them are Christians. We had a gay couple place a order for a wedding cake. Both of cake decorators who are Christians refused to make the wedding cake for the gay couple. They told the owner they will not make a wedding cake for people who live in sin and marriage is between a man and woman. The non-christian cake decorated made the wedding cake...so no problem.

Here is my issue both cake decorators have made cakes that involved people living in sin. For example they made a 5 year anniversary cake for a straight couple. One of the decorators asked if they plan on getting married? The man ordering the cake told her that he doesn't believe in marriage because its tied to religion and doesn't plan on ever getting married. So the christian decorator had no issues making that cake. If i'm correct these two people would be living in sin?

My last example is a man who divorced his wife and married her sister (his sister in law). First time he got married he used our bakery as well as the second time. If I'm correct the couple getting married would also be living in sin?

So the two Christians who I work with seem to think that the sin of homosexuals is worse than normal sin. I pointed out to one of the decorators that she is not performing the marriage ceremony she is just making a cake. She told me that by making the cake she would be helping them take part in sin. I debated with both decorators that sin is sin. The way both of them talked it seems like being gay is the worse sin of all. I pointed out about the guy divorcing his wife and they told me that being gay is worse than being divorced.

I personally believe that making a cake for someone isn't a big deal and I am a Christian. It's not like I'm performing the marriage ceremony. Am I wrong to think its not a big deal to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. A few other Christians I spoke to about this seem to think that being gay is almost as bad as murder! I tried to explain that sin is sin and they didn't seem to understand.

Just so everyone knows I believe being gay is a sin and is wrong. But if sin is sin why make this one seem so much worse?

I was wondering what's everyone's view on this?

Those two hypocrites who refused to give some sinners a wedding cake will also perish during this temporary generation.

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All sin is sin, to be sure... But a special subset are the abominations, for which 'the land will spit you out' - These are not personal... these are the things in a national conscience... stuff 'legalized' and accepted by a people as normalcy.

Among them is homosexuality. And I might add, adultery.

Upvote 0

Tinyarch

Oct 15, 2016
Sarasota
✟16,452.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Those two hypocrites who refused to give some sinners a wedding cake will also perish during this temporary generation.
All humans are hypocrites. It's a part of being a sinner who needs God's forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps. Although I think there is a socio/cultural aspect to attraction as well. You can choose to say no to your attraction and you can change your attraction based upon getting to know a person.

What we know is that God has defined both heterosexual and homosexual sin. To explain these definitions away merely because it inconveniences our lust for pleasure cannot be justified.
I'm not attempting to explain definitions away to justify sin or anything, just suggesting three possible options for how attraction occurs in the thread I linked.

It just seems like people enjoy saying the only option is that they "chose" to be attracted to the same sex. I don't think that's the only possibility is all.

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

2X4

Jan 4, 2017
USA
✟16,445.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All sin is sin, to be sure... But a special subset are the abominations, for which 'the land will spit you out' - These are not personal... these are the things in a national conscience... stuff 'legalized' and accepted by a people as normalcy.

Among them is homosexuality. And I might add, adultery.

Sinners don't have a clue what the scriptures mean. Only the Spirit of God and those IN IT can understand what MAN and GOD are.

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sinners don't have a clue what the scriptures mean. Only the Spirit of God and those IN IT can understand what MAN and GOD are.

The Law of Moses is for the sinner. Leviticus 18 is not hard to discern.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tinyarch

Oct 15, 2016
Sarasota
✟16,452.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm not attempting to explain definitions away to justify sin or anything, just suggesting three possible options for how attraction occurs in the thread I linked.

It just seems like people enjoy saying the only option is that they "chose" to be attracted to the same sex. I don't think that's the only possibility is all.
The only option for sex that is God approved is between one man and one woman joined as one in marriage.
Attraction is never discussed in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Tinyarch

Oct 15, 2016
Sarasota
✟16,452.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We cannot expect unregenerate rebels to walk in obedience to the creator, God. We can expect redeemed Christians to obey God's commands.

• Agree
Reactions: Mrs.PGL
Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only option for sex that is God approved is between one man and one woman joined as one in marriage.
Attraction is never discussed in the Bible.
Or one man and many women... consider Martin Luther's words:

"I confess that I cannot forbid a person to marry several wives, for it does not contradict the Scripture. If a man wishes to marry more than one wife he should be asked whether he is satisfied in his conscience that he may do so in accordance with the word of God. In such a case the civil authority has nothing to do in the matter" ;)

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We cannot expect unregenerate rebels to walk in obedience to the creator, God. We can expect redeemed Christians to obey God's commands.

This is not about the single, unregenerate sinner. It is about a national conscience - 'When their sins have come to fullness' THEN the land will spit you out.

Upvote 0

Tinyarch

Oct 15, 2016
Sarasota
✟16,452.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Or one man and many women... consider Martin Luther's words:

"I confess that I cannot forbid a person to marry several wives, for it does not contradict the Scripture. If a man wishes to marry more than one wife he should be asked whether he is satisfied in his conscience that he may do so in accordance with the word of God. In such a case the civil authority has nothing to do in the matter" ;)
One man, one woman, joined as one in marriage. Genesis 2:24

• Agree
Reactions: Mrs.PGL
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The more acceptable reason for some would be that homosexuals are attempting to make the act seen as normal, or not a sin, and that is why many seem more opposed to it.

Myself? there is that reason but, the main reason is much more simple.

I think pedophilia is a worse sin than most, a notch above homosexuality, and I don't feel the least bit concerned or guilty about my reasoning. In reality, there are some things I don't have to explain to anyone.

To me, some things are just horrible and gross....period, regardless of what I or others have done.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
All the flesh of Man are condemned to death by the Law of GOD that Moses wrote down for GOD.

ALL FLESH can be redeemed by the Law as transformed by Christ's substitutionary presence and an individuals' belief.

The law was meant to preserve ones relation to God, the opposite of death.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.