Why do so many people fight against the truth of scripture?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Whether its the basics like the doctrine of the Trinity or the fact that believing the gospel is what saves so many people argue about the truths of scripture. It isn't just doctrines like Eternal security (which is taught all throughout the NT. Not just in John and Paul's writings) or sola scriptura...etc. It seems to me that only the protestants believe in the Bible and what it says. But even the protestants don't agree on scripture completely! It's all written there in black and white folks! The Trinity IS true. Jesus IS God. Believing the gospel and coming to Christ WILL save you. But there are many denominations out there that just don't go by the Bible why is that? Is the Bible THAT confusing? Or am I missing something here?

We even have people who claim the Law is still in effect yet Paul says in Romans that we are NOT umder the law anymore. They just completely ignore the rest of the bible and only quote the smallest tick that "Proves" their point. No it doesnt! It proves nothing! You have to go with the EMTIRETY of scripture and not just one or two verses that you take way out of context!

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because not everyone interprets the Bible in the same way as you do.
I'd say the above is true. People often mistake "this is what I believe the Scriptures say" for "this is the truth of Scriptures". :oldthumbsup:
tulc(well put) ;)

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Since you ask...What you may be missing is the fact that a Protestant is not a Protestant is not a Protestant. The word, the term, is a catch-all that refers to just about any Christian church that is not Catholic (other than for the cults).

It does not assume that all the many such church bodies are supposed to agree on all things or, if they do not, that there is something amiss with Protestantism.

THEREFORE, for us to assume that if there is some difference between an Episcopalian and a Baptist, this must mean that *Protestantism* is self-contradictory...is to make a big mistake.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Whether its the basics like the doctrine of the Trinity or the fact that believing the gospel is what saves so many people argue about the truths of scripture. It isn't just doctrines like Eternal security (which is taught all throughout the NT. Not just in John and Paul's writings) or sola scriptura...etc. It seems to me that only the protestants believe in the Bible and what it says. But even the protestants don't agree on scripture completely! It's all written there in black and white folks! The Trinity IS true. Jesus IS God. Believing the gospel and coming to Christ WILL save you. But there are many denominations out there that just don't go by the Bible why is that? Is the Bible THAT confusing? Or am I missing something here?

We even have people who claim the Law is still in effect yet Paul says in Romans that we are NOT umder the law anymore. They just completely ignore the rest of the bible and only quote the smallest tick that "Proves" their point. No it doesnt! It proves nothing! You have to go with the EMTIRETY of scripture and not just one or two verses that you take way out of context!

It is because of unbelief.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Paul was a Pharisaic Jew living as well as he could by all tenets of the Law and personally persecuted and intended to destroy all the Christianized Jews that he judged to be heretics. But that was before he met the resurrected Christ and was transformed into one of God's fiercest missionaries.

But Paul, as a born and raised faithful Jew, couldn't quite dismiss the Law as unimportant and every now and then was inspired to rescue it from the trash bin and proclaim it as a means by which we can identify and recognize our sin and change. I believe he was right about that.

I believe the Trinity is true. I believe Jesus of Nazareth, the Christ, was and is God. And I'm not really big on requiring a lot of rules and/or adherence to strict doctrine but try to trust the Holy Spirit to advise me of what is and is not important. (Admittedly I surely have missed some of that advice. :) )

But I will not fault my brothers and sisters in Christ for believing differently than I do. I enjoy discussing and exploring various topics and doing some intellectual sparring with those who also enjoy that kind of exercise. And I think we all should speak out when somebody is being hurt or cruelly treated because they disagree with another whether that is in matters of religion, social issues, politics, or the person belongs to the wrong group or party or whatever.

I don't claim to know all the answers and I won't fight with anybody who disagrees with me on the Scriptures or any other matters of religion. I still believe when we all meet up in Heaven, we're going to have a good laugh at how much of this we got wrong.

Meanwhile I believe we are to love God with all our heart, soul, and mind, and we are to treat our neighbor as we want to be treated. And when we do that, we are much more able to be the vessel through which God loves others. And that is how we avoid fighting with each other.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It's not a "church" thing per se, responsibility of searching out the truth ultimately relies on the person, studying His Word themselves.

Acts 17:11

Berean Literal Bible
Now these, who were more noble than those in Thessalonica, received the word with all readiness, on every day examining the Scriptures, whether these things were so.

"You have to go with the ENTIRETY of scripture and not just one or two verses that you take way out of context!" This is true ... and it takes a lot of time and a lot of people do not spend the time doing this. People form their beliefs on the knowledge they have from their own study, and some simply accepts whatever is being taught by whatever church organization they attend. Individual study is important, even when attending a church.

And yeah ... there are disagreements on various teachings and always will be. The differences we discuss ... but in the end it comes down to individual beliefs.

In the end ...

2 Corinthians 5:10 ESV
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.

Each one. And I am thankful for that.

May all continue in His Word daily. Amen

God Bless.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Why might someone not believe in your particular interpretation of Scripture? Because your interpretations aren't the first and certainly won't be the last. You need to prove yourself (or whoever you borrow your interpretations from) as having teaching authority before assuming that you're correct.

Reactions: Porpoise
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you recall in scripture, even the Apostles disagreed about circumcision among Gentiles. God sent Peter a message that quenched that controversy and the first Jerusalem council convened to clear up the problem. The Council demonstrated a willingness to make compromises on certain secondary issues in order to maintain peace and unity in the church. Through the ages and most notably today, compromise is quite difficult for Christians thus sprouting many denominations in order to maintain one's own opinion on secondary matters

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

The Baptism WITH the Spirit will help and guide you most assuredly

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi friend. The only way to get all The Spirit says to us through Romans us to read it all, fully, instead of summaries. Then you see the end of chapter 3, you get the crucial things in chapter 8, 13, 14 and more.

Things we all need.

From chapter 8 and 13, crucial things to help us with the surprising 3:31.

It's all one whole.

Paul would never have wanted us to take pieces from his books instead of the whole altogether.

Everything builds together. The law and our sin it exposes helps us realize our total need for Christ is ongoing. Not finished. We must "run the race" to the end as Paul wrote. We begin to realize the crucial truths in 1rst John chapter 1.

While a doctrine like "sanctification" is around, such fixtures are not enough to hear - - correct doctrines are not a good substitute for "every word from the mouth of God."

But best of all is the comfort and joy of hearing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The biggest problem is that there are traditional beliefs about scripture that are false, but are difficult to overcome. The bible is difficult enough without these false traditions.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I find only the Calvinist, Reformed, and most Baptists believe in what the Bible says.

I don't know why it's only those 3 groups.

Don't forget us individual believers that don't belong to any group.

• Winner
Reactions: Rubiks
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...We even have people who claim the Law is still in effect yet Paul says in Romans that we are NOT umder the law anymore. ...

I just want to ask one question, are the words of Jesus not valid anymore?

"Don't think that I came to destroy the law or the prophets. I didn't come to destroy, but to fulfill. For most assuredly, I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even one smallest letter or one tiny pen stroke shall in any way pass away from the law, until all things are accomplished. Whoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments, and teach others to do so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever shall do and teach them shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mat. 5:17-19

Who is greater, Jesus, you or someone else?

Paul is correct that we are not under the law, but it doesn’t mean the law is not valid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just want to ask one question, are the words of Jesus not valid anymore?

"Don't think that I came to destroy the law or the prophets. I didn't come to destroy, but to fulfill. For most assuredly, I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even one smallest letter or one tiny pen stroke shall in any way pass away from the law, until all things are accomplished. Whoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments, and teach others to do so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever shall do and teach them shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mat. 5:17-19

Who is greater, Jesus, you or someone else?

Paul is correct that we are not under the law, but it doesn’t mean the law is not valid.
perhaps where the differences comes in is that some people? They believe all the of the Scriptures, not just the bolded parts. I'm reminded of a quote:
"A text without a context is a pretext for a proof text."
tulc(just a thought) :wave:

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SAME REASON THEY FOUGHT AGAINST JESUS,, AND REJECTED HIM , IN HIS TIME. PEOPLE SOON WILL NOT REJECT ANYTHING,, THE ONLY THING TO DEFEAT SATAN IS OLD BIBLE,, THE ONLY THING TO DEFEAT HIS DEMONS IS WORDS OF JESUS,,IN THE SPIRITUAL REALM,,,YOUR DREAMS,,,WITHOUT THESE 2 AND THE HOLY SPIRITS 3.. YOU WILL LEARN..THEY WILL TEACH/SHOW YOU NOT ME!!!
...why are you yelling? :scratch:
tulc(is just curious) :wave:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
...why are you yelling? :scratch:
tulc(is just curious) :wave:

He wants to make sure we hear him.

A cousin of mine does a curious thing as well. When a family photo is taken he sticks out his head as if afraid somehow he won't be included in the picture.

Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0