why do so many people believe we are on the narrow path?

prosperity4all

Jul 30, 2019
new york
✟25,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and

Many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and

Few there be that find it.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: PJ76

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟826,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am inclined to say only one person has ever found the narrow way that leads to life: Jesus Christ. That may seem an odd rendering of "few," but it is about as few as few can get.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
There are at least 7 billion homo sapiens on Earth. Less than 2.5 billion of them are Christians. So there are a lot more people headed to destruction than on the path we take. It is a mathematical analogy.

In Biblical times, very few people knew and believed the gospel. Without electronic communications then, face to face contact was the only way to teach it. This meant there was a huge discrepancy in believers of Jesus Christ and non-believers.

Upvote 0

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and

Matthew 7:13 The many enter through the wide gate which leads to destruction, it is only the few who find & enter the narrow gate according to what Jesus taught.
Matthew 7:13
13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it."

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Because Jesus is the only way. In comparison to the thousands of other paths someone could have taken, that is a narrow path.

• Agree
Reactions: Pedra
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I don't think many (possibly even most or all) people even have a clue as to what "The Narrow Path" even is, much less know whether or not they are on it. I have noticed it's a verse that gets posted a lot whenever someone can't come up with anything else to back up an argument they are trying (and usually failing) to make, i.e. "Well you don't comprehend because I'M on the narrow path, and you're just one of the masses destined for the fires of hell because you don't agree with my (ironically) narrow view of the matter."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟582,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your question asks why people think we are on the narrow "path". But your quote says to enter in through a narrow "gate".

So, if Jesus says we are entering through a "gate", God is on the other side of the gate, I consider. And God is not narrow, but so very big. And so there is possibly a whole field where our Shepherd makes us to lie down in green pastures.

So, in case people are saying we are on a narrow "path", this could be because ones have been told we are.

But we can understand that the path which Jesus leads us on is very specific, for each of us. We might be in God's pastures, but we can be personally guided on each one's very specific and therefore narrow path.

But the gate is Jesus. Jesus is the way . . . for entering in. Then we are in a big big place . . . of love . . . but, like I say, with love's very specific personal and creative guiding in each of us.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Narrow path = balanced path

Not balancing worldly or fleshly things, but Godly things.

This is why it is so hard for many to find

If your default is to be argumentative and "I'm right and you're wrong" you're already off the narrow path.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟302,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Narrow path in practical application. Those outside the Tenple were living in man's world according to man's ways. Inside the Temple was God and a world filled with supposedly His ways, His Kingdom. Yet there were two actual paths into the Temple. The main entrance for all and the clutter they brought with them, and the narrow gate where only a person could fit through.

So it follows that those of the narrow gate/path did not bring the ways of the world into the Kingdom with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟302,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
narrow path = painful path
Why painful. It is the self serving will of man that causes pain for each other. That is the wide path. Jesus said to His followers to let the world do it's thing, don't rebel. What would be the sense for those on the narrow path to purposely go out and get themselves bullied and beat up every day?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Why painful. It is the self serving will of man that causes pain for each other. That is the wide path. Jesus said to His followers to let the world do it's thing, don't rebel. What would be the sense for those on the narrow path to purposely go out and get themselves bullied and beat up every day?
Why did not Jesus remain quiet ? He would not have been whipped senselessly, till His back was one gaping mass of blood with flesh gone, and
if He had stayed quiet instead of telling people what the Father gave Him to tell them,
He would not have been crucified.

The Straight and Narrow - Paul Tripp

https://www.paultripp.com › wednesdays-word › posts › the-straight-and-n...

Apr 13, 2016 - PAIN. The path on which God has placed us won't be filled with ... the harsh conditions of the straight and narrow path, but the reality is that we ...
------------------------------------------------
Narrow Path Bible Verse - Matthew 7:13-14 - Learn Religions

Guide to the Beliefs and Religions of the World › ... › Inspirational Bible Devotions
Jun 25, 2019 - Today's passage is Matthew 7:13-14, 'The Narrow Path' Bible verse. ... this reality, warning believers not to be surprised by painful trials:.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I could be wrong, but I don't think that was the point.

Upvote 0