Hands Shaking During Prayer: Does the Holy Spirit Make you Shake?

anx66

Supporter
Mar 27, 2016
Haverhill
✟53,564.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
How can we be certain that the shaking and being slain in the Spirit is real? I'm not saying it is or isn't. It is just there are a lot of different beliefs/experiences in the church today. How do we weigh up the genuineness of an experience? Just saying that it happens to me or it doesn't happen to me, is not a good way to weigh up the genuineness of an experience.With beliefs it is different, we can look to scripture.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,067.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
When I was 1st on the web and chatting in chat rooms it became clear to me that I couldn't tell who was being themselves and who was lying or playing some role.
I came to the conclusion that it didn't matter, I was going to relate to each post as I would being my authentic self.

Applying that to manifestations of the Holy Spirit in our body ... I have no clue if something is the Holy Spirit, the human spirit or the devil.
I've come to the conclusions that most things are our human spirit reacting to things going on around the person or maybe even reacting to their
internal personal struggles/joys of life. There just is no consistent way to evaluate that. Ya, sometimes God does tell us. But most of the time its our own
personal judgment that things should be this way or that and so we judge them from our internal spirit no matter what spirit is really behind the manifestation.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟789,115.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There were times when they fell such as:
-2Ch 5:14 "So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God."
-Eze 3:23 "Then I arose, and went forth into the plain: and, behold, the glory of the LORD stood there, as the glory which I saw by the river of Chebar: and I fell on my face."
-Rev 1:17 "And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:"
ETC

Trembled such as:
-"And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled." Exo 19:16
-"Saying, I am the God of thy fathers, the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. Then Moses trembled, and durst not behold" Acts 7:32
-"Fear ye not me? saith the Lord: will ye not tremble at my presence, which have placed the sand for the bound of the sea by a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass it: and though the waves thereof toss themselves, yet can they not prevail; though they roar, yet can they not pass over it?" Jer 5:22
ETC

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I had the shakes once or twice.

People who operate in God a lot, who live in a specific anointing wont get them as bad.

What it is, is the junk that we're in bondage to being jerked off of us by the Holy Ghost. We see this in scripture twice... Once when Paul was in prison, an Earthquake came and shook free all the bars! This is a type of the shaking the Holy Ghost brings with his anointing. He brings a quake to free us in our spiritual bondage. Then also, we saw it earlier in Acts where the church prays for boldness (they were tempted to be cowards which is bondage), and then God shakes the whole place to free them of that bondage so they can be bold.

This shaking is always in reference to freeing someone from bondage.

This is why people shake in the power of the spirit. There is a video I like with singing in tongues, and there are some shakers in that video!!!

In many ways it's probably a good thing not many people know what this is, otherwise it might become a thing where we judge others. It shouldn't be used that way!

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since the false revivals of the 90's, there's been a whole lot of hype and backstory to support such a thing, but there is no Biblical precedent for such a fleshly reaction.

In fact, the Holy Spirit coming "upon" someone in the New Testament is likened to a dove. Doves are gentle, not violent.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since the false revivals of the 90's, there's been a whole lot of hype and backstory to support such a thing, but there is no Biblical precedent for such a fleshly reaction.
Have you read any of the stories of Azuza Street? The "hype" as you call it goes back to 1900.

Or to go back another century - where do you think the "Quakers" got their name?

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have you read any of the stories of Azuza Street? The "hype" as you call it goes back to 1900.

Or to go back another century - where do you think the "Quakers" got their name?

Understanding the New Testament is filled with exhortations to beware of deception, namely bad doctrines coupled with demonic activity, no Christian should automatically presume Azusa, or any other alleged revival, was of God.

We can safely assume the word of God is true, though.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2013
AUSTRALIA
✟7,714.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have come back to have a look at my post of 2014. Yes I still shake with tears in church during worship. Just love worship. I do not see myself as anything special in any way. Sometimes when laying on of hands on others something flows through me to them and I can feel it. They can too. Not sure what this is but I keep asking God to see to their needs. Also I can be near someone and something leaves me and flows to them without me touching them. Sometimes it flows to the people you would least expect it to. Sometimes they say "I felt that Colin" I just respond by saying I don't know what that is. This is just to let them know that I felt it too. I know we are all vessels to be used. Hey...I don't go to church as much as what I used to. I got hurt by a Pastor while I was with a New Christian and had Gods Anointing all over me at the time. I could not understand how a Pastor could be so insensitive to the presence of Holy Spirit. This deeply disappointed me. I have have had my good and bad times since. But still I go to church and as Hebrews says ...we cant lose that anointing...its given for life. So even though I have backed off a little He is still there..God Bless you all

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟789,115.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for posting. I was going to post Scriptures to support your post but already have. Don't you love "Fear ye not me? saith the Lord: will ye not tremble at my presence,"...Jer 5:22

Sorry that you were hurt by a pastor. Hope you've forgiven him. Previously I thought forgiveness went by our feelings but learned we need to make the decision to forgive. Then prayerfully submit, I forgive him/her in the name of Jesus.

It's difficult to find churches in our area that allow for The Holy Spirit in their services. Perhaps you could find another place to worship Yahweh.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think that in the area of physical manifestations attributed to the moving of the Spirit, that you should observe the pastor and elders. Do they have the same manifestations? If not, why not? If the Holy Spirit is moving in and through them in the same way as others, then you would expect them to have the same manifestations. In my experience, the pastors and elders I have observed don't seem to display the manifestations, but some have encouraged it in others. It is because of my observations that have given me doubts as to whether those manifestations come from the Holy Spirit at all. My view is that if the manifestations are from the Holy Spirit, then they should affect the pastor and elders too.

In the account of Maria Woodworth-Etter, who had people up to a mile away from her tent meetings falling over in the Spirit and getting up converted, she had the same manifestation because when the Holy Spirit fell on her, she went down sometimes and way away in the Spirit with the Lord. For that reason, because she was affected along with the rest, I believe that the manifestations were from the Holy Spirit.

I am not discounting manifestations, but I am very concerned that many are measuring their level of spirituality by the manifestations, and it seems that some pastors are supporting that notion. I believe that this is a type of faith in feeling and physical manifestations rather in Christ through the Word. This is a grave error and can end up in people believing another gospel than that of Christ.

• Informative
Reactions: Ovlov90
Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟979,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It would do us all well to remember that well the next time we go to an altar and start ministering to those there. This is a sacred and holy thing we do. I refuse to have ANYTHING to do that turns eyes upon the arms of flesh and glorifies man. It will always be to JESUS I point. No other Name ..
Hallelujah!

• Agree
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

Aryanna

Apr 8, 2017
Malaysia
✟7,802.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I experience trembling as well. Sometimes its twitching in certain parts of my body - I normally experience this when being near to people being prayed for or being prayed for.

I can also get a short duration of twitches when i come in proximity to someone highly anointed (eg. Attending the same church congregation).

However, when my hands tremble its usually when I'm praying or worshiping.

I think as you get more experienced, you develop a general understanding of what's going on just by paying attention to the kind of tremor you get.

When i first experience tremors as soon as i received baptism of the Holy Spirit. It was so mild in my lower limbs, that at the time i naively thought i was just experiencing symptoms of tense muscles. After a few more trembling incidents I started to suspect this wasn't the normal muscle twitches. I began looking to know why this happens.

I was seeking for the answer for months, no one could answer. I know the Bible says people did tremble, but i wanted to know why it happens.

One day God gave me a word of knowledge - "handcuffs". Followed by the impression of handcuffs falling off the wrists. Then I was directed to the story of Paul in prison - he was praising God and and earthquake came resulting in release of bonds and opening of jail doors. Therefore the answer is interpreted as God is breaking demonic bondages.

I believe trembling is a visible evidence that God is flowing through us to effect others, or we are receiving God's work done on us.

I believe these tremors and being slain in the spirit are similar (just difference in severity). I once fell to the floor while being prayed for because suddenly my leg muscles just gave way (no i didn't plan to fall, nor was i "encouraged" to fall). Tremors were present and stronger than usual (i even had strong urge to speak in tongues while on the floor) that's why i suddenly couldn't stand.

Upvote 0

Aryanna

Apr 8, 2017
Malaysia
✟7,802.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I think that in the area of physical manifestations attributed to the moving of the Spirit, that you should observe the pastor and elders. Do they have the same manifestations? If not, why not? If the Holy Spirit is moving in and through them in the same way as others, then you would expect them to have the same manifestations. In my experience, the pastors and elders I have observed don't seem to display the manifestations, but some have encouraged it in others. It is because of my observations that have given me doubts as to whether those manifestations come from the Holy Spirit at all. My view is that if the manifestations are from the Holy Spirit, then they should affect the pastor and elders too.

In the account of Maria Woodworth-Etter, who had people up to a mile away from her tent meetings falling over in the Spirit and getting up converted, she had the same manifestation because when the Holy Spirit fell on her, she went down sometimes and way away in the Spirit with the Lord. For that reason, because she was affected along with the rest, I believe that the manifestations were from the Holy Spirit.

I am not discounting manifestations, but I am very concerned that many are measuring their level of spirituality by the manifestations, and it seems that some pastors are supporting that notion. I believe that this is a type of faith in feeling and physical manifestations rather in Christ through the Word. This is a grave error and can end up in people believing another gospel than that of Christ.

Agree, that outward manifestation isn't a measure of spirituality. There are believers that already manifests in the gifts, yet are carnal (sorry i can't recall at the moment which bible passages talks about this).

People forget that God created everyone different. The body of Christ is made up of different parts ( some heal, some prophesy, some teach, some serve, some support by money, etc) . Therefore, outward manifestation can't be the way to determine spiritual maturity.

The Bible already told us, fruits of the spirit is the evidence. All these 9 attribute are found in believers, however in different quantities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Agree, that outward manifestation isn't a measure of spirituality. There are believers that already manifests in the gifts, yet are carnal (sorry i can't recall at the moment which bible passages talks about this).

People forget that God created everyone different. The body of Christ is made up of different parts ( some heal, some prophesy, some teach, some serve, some support by money, etc) . Therefore, outward manifestation can't be the way to determine spiritual maturity.

The Bible already told us, fruits of the spirit is the evidence. All these 9 attribute are found in believers, however in different quantities.
You will find that Paul talks about this in 1 Corinthians. He says that the believers there do not come behind in any spiritual gift, and yet he expresses concern about their carnality and the allowance of grievous sin that brings the church into disrepute.

Upvote 0