Hands Shaking During Prayer: Does the Holy Spirit Make you Shake?

MjhavengaSA

Oct 11, 2012
South Africa
✟7,655.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can only share my own experience with you.:)

I started going to a new church 4 months ago and my spiritual life changed completely. I received the gift on tongues in the first 2 weeks. I also start shaking when I praise and worship, pray and even when I speak about the gospel to people. I believe that the Holy Spirit manifest when we glorify God and that everyone respond differently to it.

I also believe that the annointing of God can make you shake, I have seen this a couple of times at my church when my pastor prays for healing and deliverance, driving out spirits or when she teaches us to do spiritual warfare or as our church would like to call it "street fighting".

Upvote 0

FuegoPentecostes

Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,505.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
There are so many ways we react to the Holy Spirit - it depends on the person from what I've seen.
Personally, I've had my hands shake, I've jerked back and forth, sometimes my head shakes SOO fast I think it's gonna fly off, I jump, I dance, I spin, and all I can describe it as is pure Joy and such Power running through my body I just do not know how to handle it and I HAVE to move somehow. Things that would probably normally end you in a hospital I've done xD
We are all Christians, so hopefully we've all accepted Christ as our Savior. 1 John 4:2 says - Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

If you accept that Jesus has come as God and is your Savior, according to the Scripture, these things we're doing are the Spirit of God. We cry, we jump, we run - all in pure excitement and awe at the fact we are SAVED from ETERNAL HELL and will one day we PRAISING OUR SAVIOR IN THE FLESH that we just cannot contain ourselves!

GOD-IS-SO-BIG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
There are so many ways we react to the Holy Spirit - it depends on the person from what I've seen.
Personally, I've had my hands shake, I've jerked back and forth, sometimes my head shakes SOO fast I think it's gonna fly off, I jump, I dance, I spin, and all I can describe it as is pure Joy and such Power running through my body I just do not know how to handle it and I HAVE to move somehow. Things that would probably normally end you in a hospital I've done xD
We are all Christians, so hopefully we've all accepted Christ as our Savior. 1 John 4:2 says - Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

If you accept that Jesus has come as God and is your Savior, according to the Scripture, these things we're doing are the Spirit of God. We cry, we jump, we run - all in pure excitement and awe at the fact we are SAVED from ETERNAL HELL and will one day we PRAISING OUR SAVIOR IN THE FLESH that we just cannot contain ourselves!

GOD-IS-SO-BIG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha FuegoPentecostes... you know where the term the Holy rollers came from then ? they used to fall on the floor and roll back and forth while they were under the anointing .

it doesn't mean much all this outer reaction- what matters is that we learn to walk in obedience to the Holy Spirit and have a love for the lost so great that we learn to give up everything to see them saved ...
thus - i have so much to learn :(

Upvote 0

Pendrake3

Oct 11, 2012
✟15,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hello,

I was wondering why do peoples hands shake sometimes when they fall under the holy spirit.

From your sister in Christ,

Destiny:)

Oh, that wonderful essence of heaven which does embrace and fill and overflow one of his children until the flesh cannot stand still under the weight of eternity.

To be embraced by the one who made the universe, to be enveloped in his presence and power causes the strongest to tremble.

If his breath makes the mountains quake, what does his embrace do to your body.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2013
AUSTRALIA
✟15,214.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi I am new here ..first time. I was not a very nice person before becoming a Christian.

I have had many Holy Spirit encounters and wonder why me. I am not special by any means.

I have learnt that my hand or both hands shake very noticeably when His presence is upon me. Sometimes I feel it is when He is so close to me also. Its seems to be one way only to let me know He is near.

It can be a bit embarrasing when in a shopping centre shaking and someone may think I have something else ...like not being well. When speaking to a Pastor he suggested I try and stop it. But being from the Holy Spirit why should I ?

I have been on the Intercessor path. I didnt know what that meant when I was told "Intercessor". When praying "LAYING ON HANDS" I shake particularly my right hand. I feel something leave me and pass to the person. It scared me a bit at first. They can feel it too ...makes them cry and have dreams sometimes. I didnt understand it at first. But the verse "Rivers of running water" comes to mind. Something leaves me when talking to someone at times. Its like the two Spirits in us are communicating with each other.

When His presence is extra strong both hands shake especially during raised hands in worship and the tears flow. Sometimes during worship I get a face or a name to pray for. One time when this happened I had a face but no name...but a week later I saw the person on TV and knew what their problem was. He was a refugee on the ship called the "TAMPA" The PM of this country would not let them into this country. That guy must have been praying hard. Hope he sees this post one day so we can have a chat.

I feel like I am in another world during worship. I close my eyes and dont know whats going on around me

I can be in the car (working) playing worship songs (always do) and getting paid to do so... and His presnce fills the car. I start shaking and the tears flow praying for someone. I feel their pain. Once the pain was so intense I could not go back to the office. So upsetting.

So shaking is something special and normal for me. Before going to a near new fellowship group tonight I prayed for His presence to be there as it was lacking. I began to shake during prayer time and tears flowed. Others noticed. Not sure they understand that. You get what you pray for dont you?

So 2 personal private missions overseas Spirit led into the slums of the Phillipines for feeding programs (537 children so far) and public preaching (summer and winter) at the beach praying for shoeless street people and addicts is something I could not do before becoming a Christian. So I ask God what has He got next for me. No doubt out of my comfort zone.

Before I forget ...its seems to me to be very important to come into His presence before praying. Do what ever you have to do to get His presence then pray...pray.

Praise God for the changed person I am.

Kind Regards
COLIN

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rev Rafael

servant of God
Jan 13, 2013
Hammond, Indiana
Visit site
✟7,655.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Being "slain in the spirit" is nothing less than man's reaction to the overflowing power and presence of God within and/or without them. So is the kind of trembling that the OP has shared on. I have always felt that it is the result of the inabiIity of our human and fallen vessels to contain the very glory of God's majestic presence as the Holy Spirit Himself as He comes upon us. In our unglorified state, we just can't do it, and so we collapse at His feet and let Him do His work in our lives.

Many a,believer here can testify to the communion, healing .. and admonishment and even rebuke that our Lord has wrought within them. I do not believe that most of the prooftexts that we hear quoted amongst us that "prove" the experience can be used as such, since the phenomenon - IMHO - is a human reaction to a DIvine visitation. It is NOT something the Spirit "does" to us .. it is our weak human flesh reacting to the presence of power beyond imagination that attempts to quicken it. I will, in the Spirit at times find myself trembling, my hand shaking, when I worship and minister. I have also been slain in the Spirit and have never forgotten it - the absolute moments of utter and inescapable wonder as I have been in His presence, in a communion too private and too real to ever fully describe. During those times He's spake, revealed and visited me in a manner no amount of altar work anyone could ever initiate ..

There's a wonderful book I shamelessly promote here that I wish every Pentecostal would buy and read and it specifically provides an excellent study on this point: "Is The Blessing Biblical? Thinking Through The Toronto Phenomenon." by David Pawson (Hodder & Stoughton, 1995). Pawson, a British charismatic, in a brilliant, but down to earth and easy to understand examination of the "revival" seen in places like Toronto and Brownsville, provides the best discussion on what being slain in the Spirit is ... and I heartily concur with him.

Get the book - it is GOOD. ..

I have had far too many heavy handed preachers try to just knock me down as well. There's this horrendous presumption among Pentecostals that the fire breathing evangelists or prophets that "Minister" to us have to do so with such violent demonstrations of physical manipulation to demonstrate how "anointed" they are, and that we Pentecostals just accept it since we've just grown accustomed to thinking "that's the way it is". The things I've seen in this area of acute abuse are unreal.

I've not grown up in the Church of God (Cleveland) where I am a minister, and maybe that's why I don't have the unquestioning fear of displeasing slap-happy preachers, but there are few things that tempt me to anger quicker than when the said ministers think they are doing you a favor when trying to push you down.

Long ago - after the first time the Spirit so poured Himself out upon me, without ANY preacher's meddling - I decided that my desire for the Real and the True far exceeded my respect for the "anointed's" reputation and when these divines try to slap me down, I simply lock my knees, open my eyes and stare right at them when they try to "flow with the anointing." I want them to know I can see what they are trying to do and prove. WIthout exception, they pretty quickly lay off. And then go on to try it with the next one. Which is why I don't get in prayer lines quickly unless I feel God wants me there ..

Mind you. That is not a slam against it. I know God uses His servants to minister in the laying on of hands and that on occasion, God visits those whom are ministered to with His wonderful visitation. But it is my experience that while God can use the fire-breathers as well as the whisperers, I personally minister - as God leads - freely on both angles. I can be QUITE loud, and then be very quiet .. and I don't feel the need to prove God is there either way. Whose work is this anyway? whose power is being welcomed? who gets the glory?

It would do us all well to remember that well the next time we go to an altar and start ministering to those there. This is a sacred and holy thing we do. I refuse to have ANYTHING to do that turns eyes upon the arms of flesh and glorifies man. It will always be to JESUS I point. No other Name ..

Upvote 0

San54

SAN 54 -Check out my Blog!
Sep 4, 2006
✟17,733.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It seems to "go with the territory".

The Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, lists MANY and varied "Physical Reactions" exhibited by folks under the influence/conviction of the Holy Spirit.

It appears the "Shaking" is one of them - in fact there are at least two denominations NAMED as a result of that phenomenon. Other observed behaviors would be Crying, Laughing, "Jerking", rolling, running, dancing, praising, spinning, shouting, Singing in the Spirit, Speaking in tongues, and being "Slain in the Spirit" (the real thing - not the "ritual").

Although I have not had shaking hands per say I have had each of the above mentioned reactions to the Presence of the Holy Spirit.
Praise the Lord I enjoyed everyone of the them and can't wait for the Lord to lay HIS Hand on me again. :clap:

Upvote 0

San54

SAN 54 -Check out my Blog!
Sep 4, 2006
✟17,733.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi I am new here ..first time. I was not a very nice person before becoming a Christian.

I have had many Holy Spirit encounters and wonder why me. I am not special by any means.

I have learnt that my hand or both hands shake very noticeably when His presence is upon me. Sometimes I feel it is when He is so close to me also. Its seems to be one way only to let me know He is near.

It can be a bit embarrasing when in a shopping centre shaking and someone may think I have something else ...like not being well. When speaking to a Pastor he suggested I try and stop it. But being from the Holy Spirit why should I ?

I have been on the Intercessor path. I didnt know what that meant when I was told "Intercessor". When praying "LAYING ON HANDS" I shake particularly my right hand. I feel something leave me and pass to the person. It scared me a bit at first. They can feel it too ...makes them cry and have dreams sometimes. I didnt understand it at first. But the verse "Rivers of running water" comes to mind. Something leaves me when talking to someone at times. Its like the two Spirits in us are communicating with each other.

When His presence is extra strong both hands shake especially during raised hands in worship and the tears flow. Sometimes during worship I get a face or a name to pray for. One time when this happened I had a face but no name...but a week later I saw the person on TV and knew what their problem was. I feel like I am in another world during worship. I close my eyes and dont know whats going on around me

I can be in the car (working) playing worship songs (always do) and getting paid to do so... and His presnce fills the car. I start shaking and the tears flow praying for someone. I feel their pain. Once the pain was so intense I could not go back to the office. So upsetting.

So shaking is something special and normal for me. Before going to a near new fellowship group tonight I prayed for His presence to be there as it was lacking. I began to shake during prayer time and tears flowed. Others noticed. Not sure they understand that. You get what you pray for dont you?

So 2 personal private missions overseas Spirit led into the slums of the Phillipines for feeding programs (537 children so far) and public preaching (summer and winter) at the beach praying for shoeless street people and addicts is something I could not do before becoming a Christian. So I ask God what has He got next for me. No doubt out of my comfort zone.

Before I forget ...its seems to me to be very important to come into His presence before praying. Do what ever you have to do to get His presence then pray...pray.

Praise God for the changed person I am.

Kind Regards
COLIN

I had a dear friend that passed away a few years ago. Whenever the Holy Spirit moved on her she would cry and her hands would began to shake. She also mentioned a warmth that would come over hands as well.
Like you she told me she would go to another place. During these times she would lay hands,pray for the sick and prophesy. I sure do miss her. Praise God I know I will see her again.

Upvote 0

LilyRosa

+.+.+.+
Apr 28, 2013
✟15,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People react to the Holy Spirit differently. I go to an evangelical Pentecostal church. We focus on the bible and not the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

I’m new to Pentecostalism. Most people in my church speak in tongues which I believe is biblical. Few fall backward “resting in the Spirit” and I noticed some start shaking a little.

I have not noticed: rolling, jerking, laughing…. I personally do not believe God wants me to react that way and this never happened in my church.

Upvote 0

Clay Vessel

Mar 11, 2013
NW USA
✟15,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Rev. Rafael has it right when he says: "the phenomenon - IMHO - is a human reaction to a Divine visitation. It is NOT something the Spirit "does" to us .. it is our weak human flesh reacting to the presence of Power beyond imagination that attempts to quicken it."

I grew up in Pentecostal circles and love the move of the Spirit. When He moves on us, it is not about us, it is about HIM! We are not special. He is! When you understand that the shaking is the weakness of our human body, there is no room for an ego. It is just GOD, filling our clay vessels to bless us and make us fit to be used by Him for His glory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alancrookham

[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][b
Oct 5, 2008
Texas
Visit site
✟15,357.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit can manifest in all kinds of ways, trembling hands is just one of them. Why that specific manifestation takes place is debatable. Some people have likened it to the shaking of the room when the disciples were praying, or of the prison, or other earthquakes that took place in Scripture when the Presence of God came. I think it has a lot to do with the expectation of the person as well, what their faith is expecting is often the way God will manifest to them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

filologisme

The Dream Traveler
Feb 13, 2013
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Visit site
✟7,644.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single

When His presence is extra strong both hands shake especially during raised hands in worship and the tears flow. Sometimes during worship I get a face or a name to pray for. One time when this happened I had a face but no name...but a week later I saw the person on TV and knew what their problem was. I feel like I am in another world during worship. I close my eyes and dont know whats going on around me

I started shaking (my right hand) when I was in high school. I was very afraid embarrassed, and confused. So weird. That time, friend of mine at school was facing a family problem. He told me his problem. When I prayed for him my hand started shaking wildly. It will stop if I lay my hand on him. It was very confusing for me. Since that day my right hand shakes each time I speak in tongue. And within myself I carried the question "Why my hand shake? Is there any special purpose of it?" for many years 'till I discover more and find out more.

Two years ago God broad me to the Philippines and join a Discipleship Course. What happen during worship and prayer was similar with Colin's experience. God blessed me with sensitive spirit. I can feel someone's heart is in trouble and need prayer. When I pray for them my hand shake and again only stop or calm down when I lay my hand on the person I pray for. My mentor told me it's the way the Spirits within us communicate. It leads me to cry with no obvious reason. Just feel heavy in my heart. And I often get picture when I pray and lay my hand on. After praying I usually tell them (the person I pray for) about the picture I got, and they will confirm it. Well, that wasn't enough to answer my question "Why shaking....?" The question is still here,in my heart, head, on my prayer daily, my life. I can't stop pursuing God to give me more understanding of it. And God faithfully reveals the answer, day after day.
I believe it's a part of my calling to pray for others, to be an intercessor. The more I ask, the more He reveal.. yes it's about pursue Him more and discover more, you'll find out the answer personally.

Blessing peeps! :groupray:

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Miss Elly

Miss Elly
Aug 24, 2009
Irving, Texas 75060
✟15,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you put your finger in a electrical plug, you would certainly get a jolt. If you plug into the spirit of God, He sometimes jolts the body by the fire of the Holy Ghost. Wonderful! We serve a living God.:angel:

Upvote 0