Why do people think spanking children is bad?

I-can-see

Jan 12, 2010
Atlanta
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do not think spanking children as bad, as long as the parent makes it apparent to the child why they are getting a spanking. I also think that spankings should be no more then 2-3 hit max, and should not be at the full strength of the parent. If these two rules are kept, then there will be no psychological damage to the child. So why are people suddenly angry with spanking all together? I don't get it.

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's a question of how much too much?

You yourself said: "I also think that spankings should be no more then 2-3 hit max, and should not be at the full strength of the parent. If these two rules are kept, then there will be no psychological damage to the child."

But how do you monitor these rules without arbitrary numbers? Especially if you are a government agency charged with child welfare. It's easier to discourage corporal punishment altogether.

Easiest is not always best. But You do what you can.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I do not think spanking children as bad, as long as the parent makes it apparent to the child why they are getting a spanking. I also think that spankings should be no more then 2-3 hit max, and should not be at the full strength of the parent. If these two rules are kept, then there will be no psychological damage to the child. So why are people suddenly angry with spanking all together? I don't get it.
It's 'Do as I say, not as I do' parenting because you teach that violence is okay to use when it's 'for discipline', and it is also psychologically harmful because of a number of other problems that are associated with it.

Spanking Raises Chances of Risky, Deviant Sexual Behavior

Spanking and Deviate Behaviors: Link Between Physical Punishment and Risky Sexual Behaviors

Spanking denounced as ineffective, harmful

More on Spanking: the Side Effects - On Parenting (usnews.com)

Why Stop Spanking? - KidsGrowth

Pick a link.

Upvote 0

Armistead14

Mar 18, 2006
✟9,449.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I grew up in the generation of spanking. Our butts were open season to everyone, Parents, teachers, relatives, our friends parents, ect... We were often spanked for no reason other than the parent was angry and unable to deal with childhood behavior. We were spanked with belts, branches, thick wood paddles, ect..Frankly, many of us were beaten and abused.

There is a time for a pop on the hand. A two year old can't made to understand sticking his finger in the outlet will shock or kill. There are many things like that and the better the parent, these things should be dealt with before. But there are cases where a young child must be popped to insure their safety.

As for real spankings, my son probably got two. He knew the rules beforehand what would bring a spanking Most spanking are done out of anger. If I ever got mad enough to spank, it was time to take a break. I would then resolve that it was needed or not. It was seldom needed. Still, he knew it was a possibility. If we went to a store and some 5 year old was in a screaming fit..I could just look at him and say " do you know what would happen to you if you acted like that." thus he never did.

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do not think
spanking children as bad, as long as the parent makes it apparent to the child why. I also think
that spankings should be no more then 2-3 hit max, and should not be at the full strength of the parent. If these two rules are kept, then there will be no psychological damage to the child.
So why are people suddenly angry, with spanking all together? I don't get it.
Whoah! - quite a number of erroneous assumptions:
re "spankings should not be at the full strength of the parent, & no more then 2-3 hit max."

Having worked in both Trauma, & Psych-services, I can tell you that just one hit, has been known to seriously injure a child physically, & obviously leave emotional scars.
re "If these two rules are kept, then there will be no psychological damage to the child."

The above demonstrates, what you feel/think, doesn't measure up. Aside having helped many others, including from various abuses heal..., I am as well a mother, who further successfully trained children. -
This said, that if you would raise an emotionally-healthy child, you find Intelligent ways to achieve this.
re "as long as the parent makes it apparent to the child why, I do not think spanking children as bad".

Do remember, that ALL of us 1st. were created from God's pure & perfect love, :angel: He next sent into our safe-keeping, care, training & nurturing... :hug: And children, especially during pre-conversant stages are VERY-perceptive about their parents' thoughts & intents, they know where you're coming from. You can't fool them. Given this to understand, and the fact that tragically, over 95% of people who "spank" have varying levels of self-control, with most lacking an alarming degree of same, obviously it's time to accept some new :thumbsup: thoughts.
re: "So why are people suddenly angry, with spanking all together? I don't get it."

It's easy not to get something, when only working from limited experience, and not yet considering a whole wide world of facts, and more successful relationship :thumbsup: choices...

Upvote 0

Armistead14

Mar 18, 2006
✟9,449.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I would tend to agree with the above posting than not.

My daughter is in her late 20's, but they allowed spanking still in the school she was in. I guess she was in about the 3rd grade when a male vice principle spanked her. She had a girl bully her forever and finally got mad and hit back.

Per the style, she was wearing a short dress that flared out that came above the knees, with a type of built in panty shorts. He left bruises on her rear. She had to bend over and he could see her butt.

My anger took over me. I should've called the police, but went to the school. As I was arguing with the ladies at the desk to go get him, he saw me. I went for him and he locked himself in his office, but it had glass window walls. I threw a few typewriters through the glass. Frankly, I think I would've beat him to death, but alas the police shortly arrived.

What I did was wrong...but that's just me, you hurt my kids ....watch out and this was far beyond a spanking. No way should they allow spanking in schools as many churches would like, because it's subjective to the person giving it.

He was arrested two years later for sexual abuse on several girls in school.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
My children are not spanked because I am trying to teach every way I know how, including by example, that violence is always wrong.
Yes, a wonderful ideal. Unfortunately, people sin. I don't see God condemning every form of violence. Why should we? Conversely, why should we justify violence just because God uses it in certain instances?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neo2

Jan 28, 2010
✟7,715.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would tend to agree with the above posting than not.

My daughter was in about the 3rd grade when a male vice principle spanked her.
She had a girl bully her forever and finally got mad and hit back.
He left bruises on her rear. She had to bend over and he could see her butt.
He was arrested two years later for sexual abuse on several girls in school.

No way should they allow spanking in schools, as many churches would like, because it's subjective to the person giving it.
Churches, & schools, which 'spank' - should immediately from child-access be barred, before being closed, until such adults have been remediated.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think we all generally see what we want to. I can't speak for God.
Oh? Do explain.

I don't accept that God uses violence.
Oh? Then what's this?

Gen 6:5 The LORD saw that the wickedness of humankind was great in the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of their hearts was only evil continually.
Gen 6:6 And the LORD was sorry that he had made humankind on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.
Gen 6:7 So the LORD said, "I will blot out from the earth the human beings I have created--people together with animals and creeping things and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them."

Or this?
Exo 11:5 Every firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sits on his throne to the firstborn of the female slave who is behind the handmill, and all the firstborn of the livestock.

What about this?
Act 5:5 Now when Ananias heard these words, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard of it.

How do you explain these?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
What behaviour are you modelling? - that one solves ones disagreements with violence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh?
Then what's this? Gen 6:5
The LORD saw that the wickedness of humankind was great in the earth, and
that every inclination of the thoughts of their hearts was only evil continually.
Gen 6:6 And the LORD was sorry that he had made humankind on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.
Gen 6:7 So the LORD said, "I will blot out from the earth the human beings I have created--people together with animals and creeping things and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them."

Or this?
Exo 11:5 Every firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sits on his throne to the firstborn of the female slave who is behind the handmill, and all the firstborn of the livestock.

What about this?
Act 5:5 Now when Ananias heard these words, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard of it.

How do you explain these?
Easy explanation.
taking God COMPLETELY OUT OF His Original CONTEXT, in order to justify another emotionally dysfunctional & bankrupt practice, also explains why more Christians are leaving such churches, or why more atheists are not joining. -
3 wrongs (putting our Creator & Savior Jesus Christ to shame), do not make one right.

You can do better, far! better :thumbsup: by showing children a righteous example... :)

Upvote 0

Armistead14

Mar 18, 2006
✟9,449.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Churches, & schools, which 'spank' - should immediately from child-access be barred, before being closed, until such adults have been remediated.

Sadly, many private religious schools spank. I think it should be outlawed by all institutions. Just because someone deems themselves a private religious school, where parents agree, the government needs to step in and protect children.

If parents chose to spank, that's their business, but we shouldn't turn that over to another group for any reason.

I just read that Pope John Paul whipped himself into a bloody mess as a ritual to bring him closer to Christ....With that mindset, I wouldn't want any church punishing my kids.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Easy explanation.
taking God COMPLETELY OUT OF His Original CONTEXT, in order to justify another emotionally dysfunctional & bankrupt practice, also explains why more Christians are leaving such churches, or why more atheists are not joining. -
3 wrongs (putting our Creator & Savior Jesus Christ to shame), do not make one right.

You can do better, far! better :thumbsup: by showing children a righteous example... :)
Um... first of all, you ignored my question directed at someone who thinks God never uses violence, second, you're proving the point I made to them.

Upvote 0

wannabeadesigirl

Dec 28, 2007
✟17,294.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
Well can you imagine the psychological trauma being blotted off the face of the earth had for those God chose to blot out? However did we handle it as a species?

We are not allowed to use violence, and yet our God can? What kind of a monster do we serve? Perhaps our violence as a species comes from an abusive father who would rather crush us like cockroaches than have to put up with our crud anymore...

How does one align the "God is love" ideology with the "God of wrath" ideology that are both found, in equal measure, in the Bible? I still have a hard time with it.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Sadly, many private religious schools spank. I think it should be outlawed by all institutions. Just because someone deems themselves a private religious school, where parents agree, the government needs to step in and protect children.

If parents chose to spank, that's their business, but we shouldn't turn that over to another group for any reason.

I just read that Pope John Paul whipped himself into a bloody mess as a ritual to bring him closer to Christ....With that mindset, I wouldn't want any church punishing my kids.
The Catholic school system here stopped using corporal punishment before the state system did.

Upvote 0