Why do people think religious people mostly Christians as being hypocrites?

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If they did it would be that they have no understanding of the true gospel and how it works in Christian believers. No born again Holy Spirit filled Christian believer would ever say that Christians are hypocrites. Christless people would because they see things without the inspiration of the Holy Spirit so they can see only from the natural point of view.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
IS there any proof of that?

Unfortunetly because it so often is true.

At work there be a guy know to be a Christian, yet his behaviour is identical to that of others who are not christian. His time keeping is poor, reliability is low, out put only average, language as bad as any non christian, etc etc etc

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If they did it would be that they have no understanding of the true gospel and how it works in Christian believers. No born again Holy Spirit filled Christian believer would ever say that Christians are hypocrites. Christless people would because they see things without the inspiration of the Holy Spirit so they can see only from the natural point of view.

Each and every Christian is a Hypocrite. At least that's what Paul claimed:

14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15 For that which I do I allow not:
for what I would,
that do I not;
but what I hate,
that do I.

16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Each and every Christian is a Hypocrite. At least that's what Paul claimed:
I think you might need to do a deeper study about the Bible definition of hypocrisy. Read what William Gurnall in his book "Christian in Complete Armour" says about the difference between hypocrisy and sincerity. Hypocrisy is trying to make out that you are something different than who you really are. Paul is having difficulties about some of the things he does that he knows that are not right and he is not happy about it.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
IS there any proof of that?
There are Christians who ARE hypocrites, and that would be part of the problem. And then there are people who are not Christians, who let themselves believe all Christians are hypocrites, to bolster their own egos. Or so it would seem to me.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you might need to do a deeper study about the Bible definition of hypocrisy. Read what William Gurnall in his book "Christian in Complete Armour" says about the difference between hypocrisy and sincerity. Hypocrisy is trying to make out that you are something different than who you really are. Paul is having difficulties about some of the things he does that he knows that are not right and he is not happy about it.

That may be. My intention was to point out that all Christians are hypocrites, with Paul as Chief of them all. Given what Paul says, I don't see a big difference between the definitions.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That may be. My intention was to point out that all Christians are hypocrites, with Paul as Chief of them all. Given what Paul says, I don't see a big difference between the definitions.
Paul said that he was the chief of sinners because of his actions as a Pharisee against Christians before he was converted to Christ.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are Christians who ARE hypocrites, and that would be part of the problem. And then there are people who are not Christians, who let themselves believe all Christians are hypocrites, to bolster their own egos. Or so it would seem to me.

Well, I just think that was what Paul was admitting to being a huge Hypocrite.

14We know that the Law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul said that he was the chief of sinners because of his actions as a Pharisee against Christians before he was converted to Christ.

This analysis is well after:

Rom 7
13Did that which is good, then, become death to me? Certainly not! But in order that sin might be exposed as sin, it produced death in me through what was good, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.

14We know that the Law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do. 16And if I do what I do not desire, I admit that the Law is good. 17In that case, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh; for I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For I do not do the good I want to do. Instead, I keep on doing the evil I do not want to do. 20And if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21So this is the principle I have discovered: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God’s Law. 23But I see another law at work in my body, warring against the law of my mind and holding me captive to the law of sin that dwells within me. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
He is laying out the definition for acting as a hypocrite.
I don't see it as a definition for hypocrisy. I see it as a man confessing he falls short of perfection.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think Paul was just admitting to his own imperfection.

Hypocrisy is the contrivance of a false appearance of virtue or goodness, while concealing real character or inclinations, especially with respect to religious and moral beliefs; hence in a general sense, hypocrisy may involve dissimulation, pretense, or a sham. Hypocrisy is the practice of engaging in the same behavior or activity for which one criticizes another.

Paul was quite clear about his own struggle with sinfulness, He does not fit into the above definition because at no time did he pretend to be anything else that what he actually was. He never criticised anyone else while engaging in the same behaviour.

(just to back up your post)

Reactions: dreadnought
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't see it as a definition for hypocrisy. I see it as a man confessing he falls short of perfection.

True....and he is describing his Hypocrisy, exactly and in detail.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
He doesn't tell us what his sin is, does he? It could be hypocrisy, immoral sexual lust, substance abuse, pride, or any other sin, couldn't it?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hypocrisy is the contrivance of a false appearance of virtue or goodness, while concealing real character or inclinations, especially with respect to religious and moral beliefs; hence in a general sense, hypocrisy may involve dissimulation, pretense, or a sham. Hypocrisy is the practice of engaging in the same behavior or activity for which one criticizes another.

Paul was quite clear about his own struggle with sinfulness, He does not fit into the above definition because at no time did he pretend to be anything else that what he actually was. He never criticised anyone else while engaging in the same behaviour.

(just to back up your post)
Thank you.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People tend to watch and judge every move made by religious christians and since no one is perfect religious christians also have their defects. Besides its not only christians who are hypocrites. If you look at the strong's concordance for MAN H120 one of the meanings given is hypocrite! Which means all humans are hypocrites.
Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
another, hypocrite, common sort, low, man mean, of low degree, person
From 'adam; ruddy i.e. A human being (an individual or the species, mankind, etc.) -- X another, + hypocrite, + common sort, X low, man (mean, of low degree), person.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OH! MY GOODNESS!!! Did you guys just see my last post was my 444th one and just after posting that I typed into google to check 'man-strong's. I found H120 which I knew was the descriptions for man but what I didn't know was the greek strong's for man is the number 444!!!! All I knew about 444 from others is that it meant rapture and judgement of the world, the key to heaven's door. I didn't make this up. No one can make this up. And wasn't my post about man the hypocrite. I can't believe it. This is God's doing not mine.
444 ánthrōposman, also the generic term for "mankind"; the human race; people, including women and men (Mt 4:19, 12:12, etc.).

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So you are saying that Paul presented himself in a way that was not genuine, and that he expected standards from others that he did not try to meet in himself? Are you saying that Paul was a liar and that he was not the person he presented himself to be?

Upvote 0