Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Is that what you say to an unbeliever who is seeking God? "Sorry, you can't believe, you're unregenerate!" End of story. Or when someone is struggling in their walks or with their faith? "You're probably unregenerate!"

I think it would be better to speak wisdom to them and help them. Understanding how the human heart works from God's perspective is important.
Why the personal attack?

No, it’s not better to speak wisdom. It’s best to speak the gospel because that’s the power of God.

18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart."
20 Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.
22 For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom,
23 but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles,
24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. - 1 Corinthians 1:18-25

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Understanding how the human heart works from God's perspective is important.
Here it is from His perspective

26 And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules. - Ezekiel 36:26-27

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I've known several people that have turned from God once they understood His character.

I've done the same myself.

There's a lot in the bible that's difficult to justify, especially so when it's the action or will of someone we're expected to worship.

Some action in the bible if committed by a human would be considered tyrannical, genocidal, maniacal and psychopathic. A lot of people struggle to justify that as okay because God did it. It isn't unreasonable to expect some to refuse to justify it, too.

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I've known several people that have turned from God once they understood His character.

There's a lot in the bible that's difficult to justify, especially so when it's the action or will of someone we're expected to worship.

Some action in the bible if committed by a human would be considered tyrannical, genocidal, maniacal and psychopathic. A lot of people struggle to justify that as okay because God did it. It isn't unreasonable to expect some to refuse to justify it, too.
That’s the “what”, though, and not the “why”.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If we understand human nature since the fall, it is easy to justify all of what we consider repugnant in humans to be acceptable and even praise worthy in God.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
A short cut to holiness is reducing the battle within to a struggle between God's Love and hatred rooted in the flesh. Every fork in the road presents an option. Do what love would do. or do what the flesh mostly desires. God is love and Jesus is God. So Jesus is Lord when love rules our choices.
That is an interesting way of putting it, and yes we must walk in love. Of course we must always put Him first though. We love Him, then our neighbours and our enemies through Him. We love because He first loved us. And we have to love what He loves, and hate what He hates (without hating our enemies). So we must study the Word to know His nature so we can be like Him in our new natures that are obedient to Him.

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Why the personal attack?

No, it’s not better to speak wisdom. It’s best to speak the gospel because that’s the power of God.

18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart."
20 Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.
22 For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom,
23 but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles,
24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. - 1 Corinthians 1:18-25
I didn't attack you. I asked you a question. I apologize if it came out wrong, it wasn't intended in any way.

I agree. We have preach the Gospel. And preferably with power (His power). But if people have questions, then we have to be ready to answer those questions. God gives us wisdom (His wisdom) to answer them, and He also gives us the words to speak. Those verses are speaking about human wisdom, not Godly wisdom which is based on the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Here it is from His perspective

26 And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules. - Ezekiel 36:26-27
That doesn't explain how the human heart works. It explains how God works in us.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

But that just proves that they have not understood God's character. They are judging by His actions from their own perspective, but are not understanding His nature from His perspective. If someone understand His ways, and why He is good, then they would run to Him. I have fought the same doubts about His character, and I did turn from Him too, I even yelled at Him in anger a few times a few months after I got saved. But instead of asking me for blind obedience, God patiently opened my eyes and gave me wisdom to understand who He is.

So we must understand His character based on all of what the Bible says, not based on human wisdom and understanding, because a human mind cannot understand God.

Upvote 0

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don't understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God." - 2 Corinthians 4:4

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes people suffer a traumatic personal, familial, or other experience that causes them to question these aspects of God. Why would a loving god allow XYZ to happen? If I was following God correctly and loved him with all my heart, why did xyz happen to me? This was my personal issue, eventually God led me back, but this is not something to gloss over. I thought it would never happen to me, that my faith was solid, but when life takes a turn, sometimes our faith wavers or even dissipates entirely. It is easy to think that it cannot happen to us, that we love God enough to see through the current tribulation, but when it does, that is when reality happens.

This happens to people who can’t see past this worldly life to see the bigger picture. People who say things like why did God allow my baby to die often fail to realize that their baby has merely been taken from point A to point B and has actually been spared of a lifetime of pain and suffering and brought into paradise with The Lord. I’m sure it’s a hard pain to see past, one that I hope I never have to endure.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I didn't attack you. I asked you a question. I apologize if it came out wrong, it wasn't intended in any way.

I agree. We have preach the Gospel. And preferably with power (His power). But if people have questions, then we have to be ready to answer those questions. God gives us wisdom (His wisdom) to answer them, and He also gives us the words to speak. Those verses are speaking about human wisdom, not Godly wisdom which is based on the Gospel.
“If the Lord had put a yellow stripe down the backs of the elect, I’d go up and down the street lifting up shirt tails, finding out who had the yellow stripe, and then I’d give them the gospel. But God didn’t do it that way. He told me to preach the gospel to every creature that ‘whosoever will may come.'” Jesus says, “and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.” -Not Charles Spurgeon (But still a good quote)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't explain how the human heart works. It explains how God works in us.
The human heart is a stone. The human heart hates God. The only way the human heart will stop hating God and start loving Him is if it’s changed. It’s not complicated.

• Agree
Reactions: St. Helens
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The human heart is a stone. The human heart hates God. The only way the human heart will stop hating God and start loving Him is if it’s changed. It’s not complicated.
Have you ever witnessed to anyone? Have you had to answer all the questions that they ask? Questions that come from their hearts? Have you ever ministered God's love to a broken-hearted brother or sister or unbeliever? Saying "your heart is a stone" isn't enough. And it isn't what God would say either. We need to be taught how to love, and we need our pride broken down so we can be filled by God's love, our wounds healed and our minds renewed. It's a journey, a process, that is so much more than one change within us. God tells us to keep His Word in our hearts. He looks at the heart and judge our intentions. Everything we do flows from the heart. Saying that it is a stone that turns into flesh is not enough, especially not when someone asks what that means.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
“If the Lord had put a yellow stripe down the backs of the elect, I’d go up and down the street lifting up shirt tails, finding out who had the yellow stripe, and then I’d give them the gospel. But God didn’t do it that way. He told me to preach the gospel to every creature that ‘whosoever will may come.'” Jesus says, “and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.” -Not Charles Spurgeon (But still a good quote)
What happens after you preach the Gospel to someone? I usually get asked several questions, and God uses me to speak to their hearts to open their eyes. What do you do if that happens?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never understood this. I'm not sure that I'm posting this in the right forum, because it's not a question about theology, it's more a matter of the heart. I just don't understand why people reject Christ even once they know who He is. That some are chosen, some aren't, isn't the question here. Because someone who we never thought would ever become saved could suddenly be saved, so who is chosen or not, who is a goat or sheep, etc. is not important.

When non-believers reject Christ because they don't know Him yet, because they don't understand Him or because they haven't seen a real Christian showing them the real Jesus, I understand that. No one can come to Jesus unless our Father calls them first, and no one can see Him without their eyes having been opened. When those of other religions who are deceived by Satan is showing anti-christian hatred, I understand that. I have rejected God for both those reasons before I got saved, and many people do, but none of it is really directed at God but at a false image of Him.

But when people see Him, His goodness, His love, mercy and grace, His righteousness and holiness, then why do they reject Him? What happens in the heart?

I have seen Christian who know who Jesus is, but who have rejected Him and His teachings, refusing to follow Him. Why? I see those who claim to know Him, but don't walk in love? Why? They reject His goodness, mercy, love and grace, and stay hateful and selfish. I understand that they reject the Holy Spirit. But why? They even attack and seem to hate those who show the fruit of the Spirit and live for God's Glory, even in the name of Jesus who they claim to worship.

I'm not sure what answer I am looking for. The obvious answer would be pride and jealousy because they aren't changed yet. But it must go deeper. Because anyone who comes to God, He will never drive away. He is faithful and He will change those who seek Him. He will prune the branches who abide in Him. Those who surrender to His will.

I'm not just talking about sinning or even living in sin for a while, or struggling in our walks. I'm talking about rejecting being transformed into the image of Christ, specifically. Dying to self and to sin. Taking up the Cross. Relying on the Holy Spirit completely and not on yourself. Letting go of the world and having the mind renewed by the Word of God.

Is it rebellion and self-will? Is it that simple? They just don't want to bow before God? They don't want to surrender?

Is it false doctrines? If so, then why do people hold to false doctrines?

I understand what the Pharisees were like. They thought that they were serving God, and they were completely blind to the fact that they were serving the devil by their man-made doctrines. And they condemned Jesus as He was revealing God's love and mercy, and His righteousness and Holiness, to them and to the world. They weren't rejecting God per se, but they were rejecting His nature. But why? If we come to Christ, we receive life and freedom in Him. We lose our lives to receive the new life in Him, but that's an awesome exchange. I ask myself "who could reject that?". And I always get reminded of the answer "nearly everyone".

The narrow path is amazing. Yes, we suffer and go through hardship, and we give up everything for God. But we are in Him, we walk in love, we are set free, we have a Lord and Savior who just never stops caring for us and loving us. And we get to live for His Glory, and for eternity. He heals us and delivers us from evil. He produces amazing fruit in us, and transforms us into entirely new creations in His likeness. His yoke is easy, because He carries it for us. He gives us power, love and self-control. It is awesome!

Ever since I got saved, all I have wanted was to become like Jesus. Not to look good to others (though I did fell into that trap for a little while) but to please Him. Because that is His will. There is no salvation without us becoming new creations in Him, by grace and by the work of the Holy Spirit. So why is this where people seem to stumble the most? We are His creations originally, created in His likeness, so why should we want to rebel and stay lost instead of being saved and transformed into the likeness of His image which is in Jesus Christ? Our salvation is so awesome beyond understanding! Why stay in darkness when we can walk in the Light?

I may be missing something. I feel like I understand it Biblically and I know all the verses, and spiritually, because I know how blindness, darkness, sin, hardness, flesh, false comfort, worldliness and deception etc. works, but I still can't understand it. Because Jesus sets us free from all of it once we believe in Him and in His teachings, and start living according to God's perfect will. It's a free gift. Why reject it? There seems to be this fear of letting go. Faithlessness and unbelief? Lack of understanding? But if that's the case, we can just read the Bible and pray and God will freely give us both faith and wisdom.

This has been on my mind for a long time now. Because in my mind, if you love yourself, you'll choose Jesus. That would be the selfish choice to me. It's not a self-centered choice, because it gives no glory to self, but it's the choice that yields the best outcome for a person in any situation, since God rewards our sacrifices that we make for Him, either spiritually or sometimes materially in this life or with treasures in Heaven.

Why??? I guess what I am asking is what happens in reality that makes people not accept Jesus in reality?

Anything? Maybe someone can at least define what I'm asking here.
Most of us think we are sharing a Gospel of a free gift of salvation, but we are doing the opposite, without knowing it.

The listener isn´t hearing about the gift so much as listening to what it costs. You say, ¨Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved¨. Then you say the Holy Spirit will change you and you´ll give up going to Gothenberg to drink in the bars.

See, you´ve just told him its going to cost him his drinking hobby.

He will disappear from your view faster than you can say ¨born again¨.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm pretty sure that it is because Christians today don't ask questions like this or seek God and ask Him, is the reason to why so many are seeking other sources of "wisdom" like science, psychology, philosophy, other religions etc. Because they don't understand the world around them, or themselves, and it leads to confusion. And if we don't have an understanding of reality based on Scripture from God's perspective, then we have no understanding at all. Our wisdom would be worldly, human wisdom. And it leads to even more confusion, and it leads people astray. We need Truth, and that Truth comes from the Word of God, and we need to ask God for His wisdom to understand what it means. Quoting a few verses isn't enough, because we need to also discern what they mean by the Spirit of God. And He freely gives wisdom to anyone who asks Him.

"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." James 1:5

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

God wants to teach us. He wants us to understand Him, His ways, His perspective, His perfect will.

"But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." John 14:26

"But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come." John 16:13

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that all God’s people may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17

As I said, quoting a few verses isn't enough. If we don't seek to understand God's Word, and live by what it says, becoming like Christ, the life we live while we are here, won't be of much value at all.

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:21

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
We think we are talking about a free gift, but we are actually cheating the listener by adding conditions after sharing. This is called switch and bait. The con man shows a real Rolex watch, but he packs a fake.
It is a free gift:

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:8-9

This verse tells us that we don't have to work to earn our salvation. God gives it freely to us. Jesus paid our price.

But yes, the cost seems high to us. We have to give up everything for God, because whoever loses their lives for Him will find it. Matthew 16:25. That is what Jesus paid for, so when we give up our lives for Him, we will receive new lives in Him. We give up the fake rolex and the real Rolex, and Jesus gives us eternal life where we will need no watches nor worldly riches.

If someone preaches a half Gospel that says we only receive but we don't have to give anything up, that would be lying. And if someone preaches a false Gospel that says that we only have to give up but don't receive anything, that is also a false Gospel. The real Gospel of Jesus Christ tells us that we die to self and receive new life in Him, in this life and eternally. That is a free gift that we cannot earn in any way, but we still have to give up everything that is in the way between us and that price.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Sometimes I think I was better off living life knowing I had come to Jesus, not having a clue what happened to me except my whole life changed. Living life and just having profound God moments and believing He would move in my life, than opening the bible. It was simple, just as much faith, maybe more in my ignorance actually, because I didn't know the why of so many things. Course that is for a private life in Christ and not teaching , if one is to lead then you actually have to know something more.

I met a guy yesterday doing Gods work collecting a few bucks for homeless people and recovering addicts for his church organization. He had that simplistic kind of faith, it was written all over him and it was in his speech as I talked with him. He said the church does teach bible if someone wants it but they aren't bible thumpers. They are saved through faith believers. It was an interesting exchange, he has little head knowledge but strong belief in the risen Christ. And God is using him in a certain capacity.

Upvote 0