Why do people make fun of the 72 virgins in the Islamic paradise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As someone who isn't a Muslim but can kind of sympathize with there being virgins or sexual relationships in the hereafter or next life, I think some people actually make fun of Islam for teaching the concept that there is enjoyment of sex in Heaven. I think it is nonsense and kind of hypocritical because God created Adam and Eve and created human sexuality and the body. And he said all of that was very good. There are also people on this planet who are unhappily single and long for the kind of intimate physical and spiritual bond that couples enjoy, and like it or not also have sexual fantasies that remain unfulfilled. But because we live in a fallen and unfair world, these people can't obtain it for one reason or another, especially in the "proper" God-designed way.

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I think some people actually make fun of Islam for teaching the concept that there is enjoyment of sex in Heaven.
It is interesting to look at the Rabbi Friedman's opinion that God created intimacy. The sex we see on the internet does not unite people, it divides them. That is why they are always looking for new partners. I have been looking at his book: "The Joy of Intimacy". It is interesting to see what unites us and what divides us in our marriages.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As someone who isn't a Muslim but can kind of sympathize with there being virgins or sexual relationships in the hereafter or next life, I think some people actually make fun of Islam for teaching the concept that there is enjoyment of sex in Heaven. I think it is nonsense and kind of hypocritical because God created Adam and Eve and created human sexuality and the body. And he said all of that was very good. There are also people on this planet who are unhappily single and long for the kind of intimate physical and spiritual bond that couples enjoy, and like it or not also have sexual fantasies that remain unfulfilled. But because we live in a fallen and unfair world, these people can't obtain it for one reason or another, especially in the "proper" God-designed way.

As far as why people make fun of the idea, there are different reasons. But truth be told, the notion of 72 virgins in paradise actually comes from Christian heresy. Back in the day Christians began speculating on what the "the millennium" would be like. The talk became carnal including the idea of virgin women for the men of the millennium and endless amounts of wine among other things. The Church got tired of all the talk and abrogated the millennium altogether. It hasn't been part of Christianity since. True to form, Islam adopted the idea for the same reason Islam adopted a lot of other ideas. In short, if the Church opposed something Islam accepted it. If the Church accepted something Islam rejected it. Acceptance of Christian heresy and rejection of Christian doctrine are found throughout Islam.

But anyways, if men get seventy two virgins in paradise what do women get? Seventy one new friends.

• Informative
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most likely because they will not remain virgins if there is free for all sex. They now become rape victims.
Blessings.

Reactions: SloopidyBoop
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Maybe there are various interpretations of this within Islam some of which may be spiritual. Aside from issues of relations with our neighbor in this life, this notion is of no value to salvation in Jesus Christ. It is something the Lord tells us is alien to the heavenly kingdom & to His commandments. ( see Matthew 22:23-40).

The Lord will show mercy & judgement to those who are stuck within the belief of this doctrine based on their good or bad works. ( see Matthew 7:12, Matthew 12:31-33, Romans 2:11-16, John 5:22-30).

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,620.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
These are folks that are big on burqas and the like. Consider that this 72 thing was not meant for some fanatic with a sword, but for women to keep them chaste by using their celebrity worship of warriors as a reason to keep themselves virgins until death or at least until marriage and a proper time. An incentive for the women, not the men. Other religions have their own ideas around the same notion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"teaching the concept that there is enjoyment of sex in Heaven. " As long as your not some women it can from a worldly fleshly idea seem great! Sexuality yeah your looking at it AFTER the fall. Now since there is only one God and the "god" Muslims believe in is not the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob. That god is not real and he never ever talks nor do they have any security.

I've never made fun of it since its not real. Look how they treat woman, gay, Christians here on earth and then look how they treat woman in some so called after life. "Many female martyrs believe that they will become one of the beautiful dark-eyed virgins (houri), or that at least they will not have to share their husband with other wives." Again.. not good if your a woman in this so called heaven. There is allot of debate among Muslims on this.. "Ahmed Ali's translated version does not even mention the 70 (the number may vary) virgins that are found in Shakir's translated version"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Well, the reason probably covers anything from general Islamophobia to genuine criticism of the idea that a person could be offered as a prize.

Muslim scholars themselves are of many diverse opinions on the subject--the Qur'an itself never mentions "72 virgins", but speaks several times of "companions"--but the interpretation of this is diverse. From viewing them as women, as men and women, as righteous people of this age, to a special new creation by God in Paradise; from literal to completely allegorical. Hadith and commentaries have, over the history of Islam, provided a highly diverse set of ideas and interpretations.

So there really isn't a "Muslim belief in 72 virgins", as that seems to just one possible understanding, though perhaps one that, historically, was popular at least in certain schools of Muslim thought.

Hence, Islamophobia can play a role here--assigning all Muslims as believing that men will get 72 virgin women as prizes when that isn't the case, as a way to simply ridicule all Muslims.

And also genuine criticism, where those interpretations exist which have viewed it this way; but without attempting to lump all Muslims together.

I do consider the idea of people being regarded as prizes to be extremely problematic. But since it's not a universally held Muslim belief it's not something I've ever really focused on in inter-religious conversations with practicing Muslims.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think a lot of it comes from the number. Islam itself limits a man to four wives on Earth. The jump from four to seventy-two is pretty huge.
Yeah, I see that arbitrariness in that. It's a little crude, but the point is at least they have that reward in the afterlife where it wasn't in their original life. In fact, I read about a theory that it arose because it reflected the time when the Islamic civilization was very polygamous and only the rich or few most successful men were snagging up wives. A dynamic that seems to be rearing it's ugly head again...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.