• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Why Do People Grind Their Teeth?

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Just wondering because I'm not sure whether or not I do at night but I am currently scheduled for a dentist appointment because I am showing symptoms of TMJ. Here's a video that hopefully will explain what it is for those of you who do not know,.. and I'm tagging @JohnDB because I always involve him with my health related issues and because he's smart and he loves and cares about me and might be able to help me with this.

• Friendly
Reactions: Darkhorse

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Bruxism is usually related to stress and anxiety, or sleep disorders such as sleep apnoea and sleep paralysis. It can also be side effect of a number of antidepressant medications, especially SSRIs.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Bruxism is usually related to stress and anxiety, or sleep disorders such as sleep apnoea and sleep paralysis. It can also be side effect of a number of antidepressant medications, especially SSRIs.

Oh well I don't have any disorders and stress though and currently not on any medication like that.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Oh well I don't have any disorders and stress though and currently not on any medication like that.
And although I've had anxiety and stress in the past, and also recurrently have sleep paralysis, I'm not a teeth grinder! I'd find it very uncomfortable!

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And although I've had anxiety and stress in the past, and also recurrently have sleep paralysis, I'm not a teeth grinder! I'd find it very uncomfortable!
I have high anxiety and i looked at that list and ehen my anxiety was really high I would stop breathing in my sleep. It was bad. I also twitch lol but i never had paralysis nor bruxism.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I have high anxiety and i looked at that list and ehen my anxiety was really high I would stop breathing in my sleep. It was bad. I also twitch lol but i never had paralysis nor bruxism.

I never had paralysis either but if it isn't bruxism and or TMJ I have absolutely no idea why I have a sore jaw and ear pain and pressure. I can't open my mouth very wide either.

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I never had paralysis either but if it isn't bruxism and or TMJ I have absolutely no idea why I have a sore jaw and ear pain and pressure. I can't open my mouth very wide either.
Oh no. That sounds bad. Id get that looked at.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I get sleep paralysis from time to time and I've never understood why. I've just learned to accept it and that it is not harmful. I sometimes get hypnopompic hallucinations, unusual sounds/voices, and very rarely, the feeling of an out of body experience. But it resolves very quickly and then I'm fully back to normal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I get sleep paralysis from time to time and I've never understood why. I've just learned to accept it and that it is not harmful. I sometimes get hypnopompic hallucinations, unusual sounds/voices, and very rarely, the feeling of an out of body experience. But it resolves very quickly and then I'm fully back to normal.

That's good, I never had that happen before too. Also I have other muscular aches and sinus issues even though the ENT saw that they were perfect which may be another clear indication of TMJ. I just keep reminding myself there will be a day with no more sickness and no more pain. :)

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
One of my kids used to do it a lot; he takes Prozac.

Believe it or not, I also had a horse who did it when she didn't like something.

You mean there's a kind of medication for it? I thought that they just put something on your teeth to prevent you from doing it. :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
How can medication cause teeth grinding though?
I believe it has something to do with the effect these medications have on dopamine, a neurotransmitter in the brain. Antidepressants also contribute to an increased risk of other movement related disorders.

• Informative
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I believe it has something to do with the effect these medications have on dopamine, a neurotransmitter in the brain. Antidepressants also contribute to an increased risk of other movement related disorders.

Wow, are you by any chance a doctor?

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Wow, are you by any chance a doctor?
No I'm not a doctor, but as a nurse, I've done quite a bit of research into many of the commonly prescribed medications, their uses, doses and side effects. I've got a copy of the formulary. It's a good bedtime read - it always helps me go to sleep! lol.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
No I'm not a doctor, but as a nurse, I've done quite a bit of research into many of the commonly prescribed medications, their uses, doses and side effects. I've got a copy of the formulary. It's a good bedtime read - it always helps me go to sleep! lol.

Ah very interesting a male nurse,.. even though I know they exist I don't think I've ever had one before so that's pretty cool. :) Anyways, this is something recent with me so I guess even if you weren't a tooth grinder when you were young, that this could happen at any time. :(

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
You would need to speak to your doctor so they can rule out any possible causes and recommend the right treatment for you. There are medications that can be used to help with bruxism, such as anticonvulsants (for example, gabapentin or pregabalin) but you'd need to speak to your doctor to make sure they are safe and appropriate for your situation.

• Informative
Upvote 0