Why do people "do church" in "sanctuaries", which are patterned after the old covenant?

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
We don't go to church to earn our place in heaven, either. We go to receive God's gifts. There is no legalistic requirement to go to church in the Lutheran tradition.

The legalistic requirement to go to church is really only a Catholic thing. Yes, in the Eastern Orthodox church we're highly advised to go to church, but that's mostly because it's there we go to receive the sacraments to aid in our salvation.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The legalistic requirement to go to church is really only a Catholic thing. Yes, in the Eastern Orthodox church we're highly advised to go to church, but that's mostly because it's there we go to receive the sacraments to aid in our salvation.

From the Lutheran POV, salvation is a done deal. All we are told in our catechism is to not despise the preaching of the Word. But exactly what that translates to in terms of our actions is for the individual to discern. At one time in Lutheran countries, church attendance was mandatory, but that was a civil law (the idea of the state as a parent) more than a strict requirement of our religion.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lol what are you trying to prove? I guess crosses are modelled after female reproductive organs too since, you know, the church you showed above is modelled after the cross like all ancient churches and cathedrals were.

And "The Cross" might not be accurate. A simple pole was most common at the time.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
And "The Cross" might not be accurate. A simple pole was most common at the time.

No, crosses were used. Jesus was definitely crucified on a cross. I'm no Greek expert, but the word used in the Bible translates as cross.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
No. I guess you could call it rectangular, but not cross-shaped. And early Christian church buildings were not of the cross shape, either.

Well no, not the shape of the building, but the whole layout...

See it?

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
What "Ancient Christians" are you referring to? Is it those that attended synagogue and/or the ones who met in houses and exercised their spiritual gifts and shared a meal with one another?

The ancient Christians typically met in the underground catacombs. "House worship" as we think of it wasn't really a thing. Christians essentially met wherever they could to escape Roman authorities. Once Christianity became legal in the Roman Empire worship in churches, cathedrals, etc. became the norm. The modern practice of "house worship" is precisely that, modern. Even the early Protestants had ritual worship in churches.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
No, but my whole point in all this is that aren't these "Jewish" things, i.e., the "old testament" temple and the idea of liturgy, etc...?

So, why do some of the same people that call the Sabbath (or Torah as a whole) a "Jewish" thing--just for the Jews, still cling to such edifices?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
No, but my whole point in all this is that aren't these "Jewish" things, i.e., the "old testament" temple and the idea of liturgy, etc...?

So, why do some of the same people that call the Sabbath (or Torah as a whole) a "Jewish" thing--just for the Jews, still cling to such edifices?

Because Jesus never abolished those practices. He baptized them so to speak.

Upvote 0