Why do people "do church" in "sanctuaries", which are patterned after the old covenant?

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If the Law is done away with, why are there cathedrals, sanctuaries, and other church edifices wherein religious ceremonies are enacted after the pattern of the old priesthood, or even, pagan rites? Doesn't the book of Acts establish a whole new way of being followers of Messiah?

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If the Law is done away with, why are there cathedrals, sanctuaries, and other church edifices wherein religious ceremonies are enacted after the pattern of the old priesthood, or even, pagan rites? Doesn't the book of Acts establish a whole new way of being followers of Messiah?

Depending on where a person attends worship, you have to have somewhere to put the bread, and the wine used in communion.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Not much changed from one to the other. The liturgy is patterned after the ancient Jewish temple liturgy. The sacrifice of the Eucharist replaces the Jewish sacrifice.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
They celebrate in the way the Ancient Christians did. Nothing Pagan about it.

What "Ancient Christians" are you referring to? Is it those that attended synagogue and/or the ones who met in houses and exercised their spiritual gifts and shared a meal with one another?

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Depending on where a person attends worship, you have to have somewhere to put the bread, and the wine used in communion.

The early followers of the Way met in houses and shared a meal. I understand that the bread and wine were a part of that meal and were probably somewhere on the table...or wherever food was kept at that time.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Not much changed from one to the other. The liturgy is patterned after the ancient Jewish temple liturgy. The sacrifice of the Eucharist replaces the Jewish sacrifice.

But why is it patterned after the "ancient Jewish temple liturgy"? I thought that was the old covenant, which is done away with.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But why is it patterned after the "ancient Jewish temple liturgy"? I thought that was the old covenant, which is done away with.

The liturgy is the manner of worship not only on earth, but also in heaven. Between the old and new covenants the means of atonement has changed, but little else has.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The liturgy is the manner of worship not only on earth, but also in heaven. Between the old and new covenants the means of atonement has changed, but little else has.

How does one decide what changed and what didn't?

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mostly because people are ignorant and seek to earn their salvation by works.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How does one decide what changed and what didn't?

Simply by learning what has been handed down to us. Either by what is written or by what has always been taught by the Church.

For example, certainly the laws of animal sacrifice have changed, as we have never been taught to continue them. To the contrary, we are taught that the sacrifice of Christ replaced those sacrifices. No small wonder that shortly after, the Jewish temple was permanently destroyed and there is no longer any place to offer those sacrifices.

Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Mostly because people are ignorant and seek to earn their salvation by works.

Lutherans do not believe in salvation by works yet we continue the ancient liturgies, because we find nothing wrong in doing so and that they are good and pious practices. In fact the Apology to the Augsburg Confession denied that we have abolished the Mass, countering those who claimed we had.

Reactions: MariaJLM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lutherans do not believe in salvation by works yet we continue the ancient liturgies, because we find nothing wrong in doing so and that they are good and pious practices. In fact the Apology to the Augsburg Confession denied that we have abolished the Mass, countering those who claimed we had.
I considered why people attend religious activities, not necessarily form of worship in my response.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I am sorry. These pictures might be unforgettable
and seared in forever like they were for me:

church-layout.gif

Female-Reproductive-Systems.png

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
I am sorry. These pictures might be unforgettable
and seared in forever like they were for me:

church-layout.gif

Female-Reproductive-Systems.png

lol what are you trying to prove? I guess crosses are modelled after female reproductive organs too since, you know, the church you showed above is modelled after the cross like all ancient churches and cathedrals were.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I considered why people attend religious activities, not necessarily form of worship in my response.

We don't go to church to earn our place in heaven, either. We go to receive God's gifts. There is no legalistic requirement to go to church in the Lutheran tradition. On the other hand, I've heard plenty of American evangelicals talk about church attendance like it's some kind of requirement.

Upvote 0