Why do people believe the news that Trump will be impeached?

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To start, I am not republican or a democrat. I have no affiliation. I don't care if Trump stays or goes.

That said.... why do people believe the news that Trump will be impeached? I found most don't realize the impeachment process (boiled down) is a three-step process. Passing the House is relatively easy. So it will go past where its at now. But the next two steps are harder. The last step being pretty much impossible to past. Even some democrats have said the chances are none to slim. Obama evens stated he did not think this was a good idea to do.

All the republicans really have to do is wait things out until the next steps come at which point they will not vote to impeach him. Its why I really dislike the news. Many on the left say right news is biased (which is true), but it is no different on the lefts news.

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To start, I am not republican or a democrat. I have no affiliation. I don't care if Trump stays or goes.

That said.... why do people believe the news that Trump will be impeached? I found most don't realize the impeachment process (boiled down) is a three-step process. Passing the House is relatively easy. So it will go past where its at now. But the next two steps are harder. The last step being pretty much impossible to past. Even some democrats have said the chances are none to slim. Obama evens stated he did not think this was a good idea to do.

All the republicans really have to do is wait things out until the next steps come at which point they will not vote to impeach him. Its why I really dislike the news. Many on the left say right news is biased (which is true), but it is no different on the lefts news.
Impeachment happens in the House...so yes, he stands a good chance of being impeached.

Former presidents Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton were both impeached.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The House would be derelict in its duties if it did not impeach an openly corrupt president. The current hearings - there are six House hearings, each about different aspects of nefarious allegations - seem to be giving compelling evidence of abuse of power.

The Senate is obliged to consider any impeachment articles the House passes it. The senators can vote however they like even according to straight party lines no matter what evidence they are given.

The House determines if impeachment takes place. The Senate votes what to do about it.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi NI,

Well, your description of the 'process', leaves out the facts of the investigation.

As in every criminal prosecution there is a process. Sometimes the evidence produced in that process is found, in the end, to be upheld and someone goes to jail or pays a fine. The accused receives some sort of consequence. However, if the 'process' isn't begun, then there is no justice.

Similarly, in the few impeachment investigations that have been held in the history of our nation, the process begins. Witnesses are called and evidence is weighed and in the end a decision is reached. In this case, according to polls, and while I don't hold polls to be 'gospel', I believe they fairly well represent the general feeling of a group, somewhere just below half of the nation approves of President Trump being removed from office. Let me point out that a slightly lower percentage of 'just below half' disapproves of his removal. However, the evidence gathering process isn't completed yet.

I happen to still hold reasonable faith that most of the larger and long established news sources still do the job that they are paid and committed to do. Unlike you, I don't just throw out the bath water with the baby. Just because I've seen how news reports 'can' be twisted, doesn't mean that news reporting is all corrupt and we should then do away with that career choice. However, as an individual listening to or watching a news report, there are times that I am assured that I need to get more information about what is being reported and there are a number of sources that I just pretty automatically know aren't likely reliable. Super market rags like 'The Sun' or 'The National Enquirer' are the top of that list.

When I stand in line at the store and I read headlines like 'Alien abducted me', I'm pretty sure that's a crock. I also know that a source that would report such crock is not a trustworthy news source. However, long established news sources with paid reporting staff such as local newspapers, I find to be generally truthful in their reporting. That doesn't mean that they never have to retract a story or file a correction.

I'm fearful of this new attitude towards news that President Trump is trying to teach us. There have been at least a dozen people involved with government over the last couple of centuries who have issued the warning that when we lose freedom of the press and investigative news sources, we are in danger of losing a lot of our knowledge and control over what's going on in the world. I believe that to be true.

When I look at countries that have fairly strong control over news reporting, I see that there is generally more corruption in their governments than ours and usually a lot less freedom of the people. The old Russia, much like the N. Korea of today, kept a tight lid over new reporting. I don't think any American would last 20 minutes living under such controls after having tasted the freedoms that we enjoy.

Question: What's your proposal? Should we do away with news reporting? Should news reporting be government approved?

Finally you wrote:

Why does that possible eventuality make you dislike the news? Yes, we get sometimes conflicting reports, but that just means we have to use our own thinking caps. It is the news that allows us to know what the issues are and dig into the conflict and sort it out. The news isn't intended to do our thinking for us. It is merely intended to make us aware of what's going on and for anything that we're concerned enough to care about some future outcome, then we have to use our own thinking caps to sort through all the noise. Or, we could live under a regime such as N. Korea and let the government do our thinking for us. Let the government control 'what' we know.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think your thread title meant to ask- Why do people believe the news that Trump will be convicted and removed from office? If the House votes to impeach, the President is impeached. Bill Clinton was impeached, but the Senate chose not to convict.

That said.... why do people believe the news that Trump will be impeached?

...speaking for myself, I don't have to take any news story at face value. I can evaluate the Presidents summary transcript of the call and the evidence laid out to date. There's more than enough information available on the public record to make that call.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That said.... why do people believe the news that Trump will be impeached? I found most don't realize the impeachment process (boiled down) is a three-step process. Passing the House is relatively easy.
THATS impeachment. Impeachment is what the House decides. Trump is likely to be impeached. But it's unlikely the senate will vote to remove him from office.

Bill Clinton was impeached. But he was not removed from office.

Think of an impeachment as a criminal indictment. A grand jury decides if there's enough evidence to indict, and if it does, then there's a trial. In the case of impeachment, the impeachment is the indictment, the House is the grand jury, and the senate is the trial court.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Maybe because the House is obviously going to draft articles of Impeachment, pass them and send it to the Senate. The Senate will then have a trial. This is commonly known as Impeachment. Now, you may quibble over semantics, but the end result is a trial in the Senate.

Questions?

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

As others have mentioned, the impeachment will most likely go through.

The House has certainly heard enough over the past few weeks (and even well before this whole Ukraine thing blew up) to draft articles of impeachment against this President.

Whether the Senate finds any of the evidence for the articles convincing enough to convict and remove the president from office is another story but I just can't see the House having pushed the issue this far without taking it to the Senate to ultimately decide on Trump's fate. That's their duty now and they have to abide by it regardless of what the Senate decides on the matter.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HI wing,

I can evaluate the Presidents summary transcript of the call and the evidence laid out to date. There's more than enough information available on the public record to make that call.

I believe those are both reasonably factual statements, but I would like to point out that the only way we know these things is that we have a press that is free from government intervention. We have a press and news reporting from the work of all those journalists and reporters that allow us to know these things.

Shut down the TV and the radio and newspaper reporting, how much would we know to be able to make any kind of fairly thorough investigation of the things that are being done and said in our government processes?

At some point, when a witness is called to testify in this procedure and that witness says, such and such, and what was said is reported to us in some reasonably verbatim report, then we are able to come to our own understanding of what's going on. If you take away that reporting procedure, then who do we depend on for knowledge to know what's going on? Do we take reports provided to us by the WH spokesperson? Certainly under this present administration, and already having offered evidence from some who have held that responsibility, it has already been admitted that there are some who would, without conscience, lie to us.

We've already endured WH spokespeople telling us that the Trump inauguration was the most largely attended such affair in the history of the nation. A 'fact' that we know to not be true.

We've already had WH spokesperson Grisham tell us that President Trump never lies. A 'fact' that we know is not true. The president himself has admitted that he really doesn't see that truth matters. Truth for him is what he believes or what he wants you to believe.

Sanders denied having any knowledge of President Trump's hush money payouts, even though the President himself had already admitted, at the time she made this statement, that she did. If all she did was listen to her boss speak in public and on the record, she knew that he had made these hush money payments.

I, therefore, don't think that allowing our only news source of 'what is the truth' regarding government matters to be the WH spokespeople, a very good choice as to reliability. So, I just think that we should all understand that our ability to do the fact checking, is by having a free press. A press, that within reason, can print whatever they want about the truth. When, however, we get two conflicting reports of the same event or incident from two different news sources, that is when we need to do our own due diligence. Siding with one news reporting team just because they say what you want to hear, is addressed in the Scriptures and it isn't spoken of as a good thing.

"They will gather about themselves people who will tell them what they're itching ears want to hear."

So, we can certainly just bury our heads in the sand and hope that it all goes away, but a lot us would really like to uphold the freedoms and righteousness of how our government operates. We don't want to live in a nation that is beholden to some despot dictator who tells us what we should believe and think.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi NI,

As I think someone else has pointed out, there is really little doubt that President Trump will be impeached. The House has enough votes to file articles of impeachment. That will bring about a trial in the Senate. That is where the effort that some have made to remove the president will likely stumble. It would seem that you aren't really aware of 'how' the process works, despite your being the author of this thread. The impeachment is done by the House. Then there is a trial and a determination of whether or not the articles of impeachment are carried through. If you research 'presidents that have been impeached' you'll see that President Clinton was impeached. Your understanding would seem to say that he wasn't because he wasn't removed from office. The truth is that he was impeached, but he was not convicted of the charges under which he was impeached.

What you really should be asking is why do we go through with this impeachment if we're fairly sure that the Senate won't find him guilty of the charges.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0