Discussion why do pentecostal missionary schools teach language courses?

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
why do pentecostal missionary schools teach language courses?

Since God is able, He could just give pentecostals the foreign language they need right?

I am just curious.

I have been given missionary tongues on a few occupations.

Others from time to time testify that they have had missionary tongues a few times too.

Acts 2 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
The Coming of the Holy Spirit
2 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a noise came from heaven. It sounded like a strong wind blowing. This noise filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw something that looked like flames of fire. The flames were separated and stood over each person there. 4 They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they began to speak different languages. The Holy Spirit was giving them the power to do this.

5 There were some godly Jews in Jerusalem at this time. They were from every country in the world. 6 A large crowd came together because they heard the noise. They were surprised because, as the apostles were speaking, everyone heard in their own language.

7 They were all amazed at this. They did not understand how the apostles could do this. They said, “Look! These men we hear speaking are all from Galilee.[a] 8 But we hear them in our own languages. How is this possible? We are from all these different places: 9 Parthia, Media, Elam, Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, Asia, 10 Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, the areas of Libya near the city of Cyrene, Rome, 11 Crete, and Arabia. Some of us were born Jews, and others have changed their religion to worship God like Jews. We are from these different countries, but we can hear these men in our own languages! We can all understand the great things they are saying about God.”

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Others from time to time testify that they have had missionary tongues a few times too.
How did that go? Were you able to build an on-going relationship that way?

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From the early nineteenth
century—and especially after 1880—some radical evangelicals believed
that with sufficient faith, a missionary might receive “new tongues”
(Mark 16:17) for preaching.20 After all, Christians widely believed that
on the Day of Pentecost the Spirit had bestowed unlearned languages on
the 120 disciples to jumpstart gospel proclamation among the nations.
This gift would enable missionaries to bypass language school and
preach immediately upon reaching their destinations.21 Simpson, after
several years of deliberation, objected to such a “strained and extravagant
attempt to unduly exaggerate the gift of tongues” in a sermon published
in 1898. Furthermore, “some have even proposed that we should send
our missionaries to the foreign field under a sort of moral obligation to
claim this gift, and to despise the ordinary methods of acquiring a
language.” The result would be “wild fanaticism and...discredit upon the
truth itself.”22
Nonetheless, others took the risk and prayed for an even greater
dimension of the supernatural in their lives.23 The most unusual twist
came when Pentecostals, as early as 1901, announced that God intended
for every Christian to receive languages in this manner as an
indispensable component of Spirit baptism.24 Through every Spirit-filled
believer linguistically equipped for overseas evangelism, the outpouring
of the Spirit would create a truly mission-centered church. 25 With Pentecostals racing to preach the gospel with an eschatological stopwatch, amid the on-going spiritual and moral deterioration of the world, their empowerment signaled that the “apostolic faith” and the “Lord’s Pentecostal missionary movement” had at last been recovered.
https://www.aptspress.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/05-1-GMcGee.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Isaiah 28:11-12 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
11 So God will use this strange way of talking, and he will use other languages to speak to these people.

12 In the past he spoke to them and said, “Here is a resting place. Let those who are tired come and rest. This is the place of peace.”

But they would not listen to him.

Paul quotes this in .....

1 Corinthians 14:21 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
21 It is written in the law:

I will speak to these people
by people of other languages
and by the lips of foreigners,
and even then, they will not listen to Me,

says the Lord.

The Hebrew clearly has the meaning of foreign languages in this parallelism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Since God is able, He could just give pentecostals the foreign language they need right?

I am just curious.

Did the Apostles on Pentecost spend the day speaking different languages?

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How did that go? Were you able to build an on-going relationship that way?

With the ones who learned English and stayed in the USA Yes
But, over the years I have lost touch. As a young person, one does not think about keeping tabs on people, when you move on to other pursuits.
Today, young people has the internet to try to reconnect.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
8-Missionary-Tongues-Blog.png

I have not read this book yet, So I am not making an recommendation. Just letting you all know it exists.

Missionary Tongues Revisited: More Than an Evidence: Recapturing Luke's Missional View of Speaking in Tongues | Denzil R. Miller

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did the Apostles on Pentecost spend the day speaking different languages?

They started speaking foreign languages. Then Peter preached in a common language to all. But, in some countries one does not have that advantage.

Some early Pentecostals in our era, have tried the missionary tongues thing.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because your understanding of tongues is mostly incorrect and imo doesn't belong in this forum.

I used this text before:

11 So God will use this strange way of talking, and he will use other languages to speak to these people.

12 In the past he spoke to them and said, “Here is a resting place. Let those who are tired come and rest. This is the place of peace.”

says the Lord.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I used this text before:

says the Lord.

This entire thread is built on false pretenses and the logical fallacy of "Loaded Question". You aren't looking for answers to your question. You are using the question to put down any opinion that differs from yours, evidenced by the fact that this thread was created minutes after having the same discussion in another thread where you refused to actually engage in any meaningful conversation but instead just spammed your opinion over and over and ignored anything that you couldn't ridicule or did not line up with your ideals.

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no such thing as 'missionary' tongues in the Scripture. You cannot find that anywhere mentioned. There is the gift of tongues though. Also Scripture is clear not all speak in tongues. Not all missionaries will speak in tongues.

I Cor 12:29,30 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?

Also the giving of spiritual gifts is decided & determined by the Holy Spirit not people. It doesn't happen that way on the mission field because the Holy Spirit has not chosen it to work that way.

I Cor 12:11 All these are the work of one & the same Spirit, who APPORTIONS THEM to EACH ONE--AS HE DETERMINES.

I Cor 12:18-20 God has arranged the members of the body, every one of them, ACCORDING TO HIS DESIGN. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

I Cor 12:24,25 But GOD HAS COMPOSED THE BODY & has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body.

Third, God has a hierarchy of which is more important & greater, in descending order. The greater & more significant gifts are chosen by God first--in order to see His body of believers diversified & yet unified with no divisions, so the body grows with a growth that comes from God, as He has chosen.

I Cor 12:28-31 And IN the church GOD HAS APPOINTED--FIRST OF ALL apostles, SECOND prophets, THIRD teachers--THEN workers of miracles, & {then} those with gifts of healing, helping, administration & {then} various tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31But eagerly desire the greater gifts.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no such thing as 'missionary' tongues in the Scripture.
The 'Trinity' isn't used to describe the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in Scripture either but it is certainly an excellent descriptive word.

I hadn't heard this description of 'missionary tongues' before but it is certainly helpful in a discussion of tongues used in this way vs a 'prayer language tongues' as some describe.

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hank: The 'Trinity' isn't used to describe the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in Scripture either but it is certainly an excellent descriptive word. I hadn't heard this description of 'missionary tongues' before but it is certainly helpful in a discussion of tongues used in this way vs a 'prayer language tongues' as some describe.

Thanks for your comments, Hank. I made that distinction for a reason because of your last comment. There is no 'prayer language tongues' either, only the gift of tongues. These terms, in my opinion, bring confusion, not clarity & blur the meaning of the scriptural gift of tongues. While I believe in the legitimacy of all the gifts of the Spirit, they are given as the Spirit chooses & in the contexts of need & in the diversity of the gifts among the many members in the Body of Christ.

They are meant to edify the body & are to be practiced with definite guidelines.

Those given the gift of tongues within a missionary context do not keep practicing that gift, but at the time, the Spirit chose to give it for the need at the moment. Those at Pentecost did not continue to practice the gift of tongues afterwards, as is shown in the book of Acts. Even at Pentecost, Peter stopped speaking in tongues & preached the gospel message in his own Galilean dialect of Aramaic Hebrew & it was in that native dialect that people were saved.

The apostles & Jesus all learned various languages at that time, without the gift of tongues. They learned them (Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek, Latin).

Even at the top of Jesus cross, the words were written in three different languages so the people could understand who this was on the cross.

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

I am just curious.

Acts 2 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
The Coming of the Holy Spirit
2 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a noise came from heaven. It sounded like a strong wind blowing. This noise filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw something that looked like flames of fire. The flames were separated and stood over each person there. 4 They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they began to speak different languages. The Holy Spirit was giving them the power to do this.

5 There were some godly Jews in Jerusalem at this time. They were from every country in the world. 6 A large crowd came together because they heard the noise. They were surprised because, as the apostles were speaking, everyone heard in their own language.

7 They were all amazed at this. They did not understand how the apostles could do this. They said, “Look! These men we hear speaking are all from Galilee.[a] 8 But we hear them in our own languages. How is this possible? We are from all these different places: 9 Parthia, Media, Elam, Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, Asia, 10 Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, the areas of Libya near the city of Cyrene, Rome, 11 Crete, and Arabia. Some of us were born Jews, and others have changed their religion to worship God like Jews. We are from these different countries, but we can hear these men in our own languages! We can all understand the great things they are saying about God.”

There are several problems to your thinking:

• 1 Cor 13:1 implies that tongues can not only be an earthly language- they can also be a heavenly one.
  • Outside of Acts 2:1-4, there is no recorded instance of tongues being a known, earthly language.
  • In Acts 2:1-4 there is no indication the believers understood what they were saying, thus conversation would be impossible. This is further supported by 1 Cor 14:14 which says while I am speaking in tongues, "my mind is unfruitful.
Your question doesn't fit the Biblical pattern of reality.

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are several problems to your thinking:

• 1 Cor 13:1 implies that tongues can not only be an earthly language- they can also be a heavenly one.
  • Outside of Acts 2:1-4, there is no recorded instance of tongues being a known, earthly language.
  • In Acts 2:1-4 there is no indication the believers understood what they were saying, thus conversation would be impossible. This is further supported by 1 Cor 14:14 which says while I am speaking in tongues, "my mind is unfruitful.
Your question doesn't fit the Biblical pattern of reality.

Paul is exaggerating in I cor 13, unless you really want to give your body to be burned.

1 Corinthians 13 J.B. Phillips New Testament (PHILLIPS)

13 1-3 If I speak with the eloquence of men and of angels, but have no love, I become no more than blaring brass or crashing cymbal. If I have the gift of foretelling the future and hold in my mind not only all human knowledge but the very secrets of God, and if I also have that absolute faith which can move mountains, but have no love, I amount to nothing at all. If I dispose of all that I possess, yes, even if I give my own body to be burned, but have no love, I achieve precisely nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3. Though, &c. — The apostle having observed in the last verse of the preceding chapter, (with which this chapter is closely connected,) that he would show them a more excellent way, that is, a way more wise, holy, and useful, than that of striving to excel each other in miraculous gifts, now proceeds to do this, directing them to pursue the divine grace of love to God and man, as of the highest excellence, and of absolute necessity. Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels — That is, all the languages which are spoken upon earth, and with the eloquence of an angel; 1 Corinthians 13 Commentary - Benson's Commentary on the Old and New Testaments

1. If should speak with the tongues of men. He begins with eloquence, which is, it is true, an admirable gift, considered in itself, but, when apart from love, does not recommend a man in the estimation of God. When he speaks of the tongue of angels, he uses a hyperbolical expression to denote what is singular, or distinguished. At the same time, I explain it rather as referring to the diversity of languages, which the Corinthians held in much esteem, measuring everything by ambition — not by fruit. (776) “Make yourself master,” says he, “of all the languages, not of men merely, but even of Angels. You have, in that case, no reason to think, that you are of higher estimation in the sight of God than a mere cymbal, if you have not love.”1 Corinthians 13 Commentary - John Calvin's Commentaries on the Bible

hyperbolic[ hahy-per-bol-ik ]SHOW IPA
adjective
having the nature of hyperbole; exaggerated.
using hyperbole; exaggerating.

It is clear that your proof text has the meaning that "tongues" is a language --- more on this in the next post.

1 Corinthians 14 J.B. Phillips New Testament (PHILLIPS)

7-9 Even in the case of inanimate objects which are capable of making sound, such as a flute or harp, if their notes all sound alike, who can tell what tune is being played? Unless the bugle-note is clear who will be called to arms? So, in your case, unless you make intelligible sounds with your “tongue” how can anyone know what you are talking about? You might just as well be addressing an empty room!

10-11 There are in the world a great variety of spoken sounds and each has a distinct meaning. But if the sounds of the speaker’s voice mean nothing to me I am a foreigner to him, and he is a foreigner to me.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
more on use of language in other NT texts.

Mark 16:17And the people who believe will be able to do these things as proof: They will use my name to force demons out of people. They will speak in languages they never learned.

Acts 2:4They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they began to speak different languages. The Holy Spirit was giving them the power to do this.

Acts 2:6A large crowd came together because they heard the noise. They were surprised because, as the apostles were speaking, everyone heard in their own language.

Acts 2:8But we hear them in our own languages. How is this possible? We are from all these different places:

Acts 2:11Crete, and Arabia. Some of us were born Jews, and others have changed their religion to worship God like Jews. We are from these different countries, but we can hear these men in our own languages! We can all understand the great things they are saying about God.”

Acts 10:46They heard them speaking different languages and praising God. Then Peter said,

Acts 19:6Then Paul laid his hands on them, and the Holy Spirit came on them. They began speaking different languages and prophesying.

1 Corinthians 12:10The Spirit gives to one person the power to do miracles, to another the ability to prophesy, and to another the ability to judge what is from the Spirit and what is not. The Spirit gives one person the ability to speak in different kinds of languages, and to another the ability to interpret those languages.

1 Corinthians 12:28And in the church God has given a place first to apostles, second to prophets, and third to teachers. Then God has given a place to those who do miracles, those who have gifts of healing, those who can help others, those who are able to lead, and those who can speak in different kinds of languages.

1 Corinthians 12:30Not all have gifts of healing. Not all speak in different kinds of languages. Not all interpret those languages.

1 Corinthians 13:1[ Let Love Be Your Guide ] I may speak in different languages, whether human or even of angels. But if I don’t have love, I am only a noisy bell or a ringing cymbal.

1 Corinthians 13:8Love will never end. But all those gifts will come to an end—even the gift of prophecy, the gift of speaking in different kinds of languages, and the gift of knowledge.

1 Corinthians 14:2I will explain why. Those who have the gift of speaking in a different language are not speaking to people. They are speaking to God. No one understands them—they are speaking secret things through the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 14:4Those who speak in a different language are helping only themselves. But those who prophesy are helping the whole church.

1 Corinthians 14:5I would like all of you to have the gift of speaking in different languages. But what I want more is for you to prophesy. Anyone who prophesies is more important than those who can only speak in different languages. However, if they can also interpret those languages, they are as important as the one who prophesies. If they can interpret, then the church can be helped by what they say.

1 Corinthians 14:6Brothers and sisters, will it help you if I come to you speaking in different languages? No, it will help you only if I bring you a new truth or some knowledge, prophecy, or teaching.

1 Corinthians 14:9It is the same with you. If you don’t speak clearly in a language people know, they cannot understand what you are saying. You will be talking to the air!

1 Corinthians 14:10It is true that there are many different languages in the world, and they all have meaning.

1 Corinthians 14:13So those who have the gift of speaking in a different language should pray that they can also interpret what they say.

1 Corinthians 14:14If I pray in a different language, my spirit is praying, but my mind does nothing.

1 Corinthians 14:18I thank God that my gift of speaking in different kinds of languages is greater than any of yours.

1 Corinthians 14:19But in the church meetings I would rather speak five words that I understand than thousands of words in a different language. I would rather speak with my understanding, so that I can teach others.

1 Corinthians 14:21As the Scriptures say, “Using those who speak a different language and using the lips of foreigners, I will speak to these people. But even then, they will not obey me.” This is what the Lord says.

1 Corinthians 14:22And from this we see that the use of different languages shows how God deals with those who don’t believe, not with those who believe. And prophecy shows how God works through those who believe, not through unbelievers.

1 Corinthians 14:23Suppose the whole church meets together and you all speak in different languages. If some people come in who are without understanding or don’t believe, they will say you are crazy.

1 Corinthians 14:26[ Your Meetings Should Be Helpful to All ] So, brothers and sisters, what should you do? When you meet together, one person has a song, another has a teaching, and another has a new truth from God. One person speaks in a different language, and another interprets that language. The purpose of whatever you do should be to help everyone grow stronger in faith.

1 Corinthians 14:27When you meet together, if anyone speaks to the group in a different language, it should be only two or no more than three people who do this. And they should speak one after the other. And someone else should interpret what they say.

1 Corinthians 14:28But if there is no interpreter, then anyone who speaks in a different language should be quiet in the church meeting. They should speak only to themselves and to God.

1 Corinthians 14:39So my brothers and sisters, continue to give your attention to prophesying. And don’t stop anyone from using the gift of speaking in different languages.

Colossians 3:11In this new life it doesn’t matter if you are a Greek or a Jew, circumcised or not. It doesn’t matter if you speak a different language or even if you are a Scythian. It doesn’t matter if you are a slave or free. Christ is all that matters, and he is in all of you.

Revelation 5:9And they all sang a new song to the Lamb: “You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were killed, and with your blood sacrifice you bought people for God from every tribe, language, race of people, and nation.

Upvote 0