Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The original Hebrew manuscripts wrote God's name as YHWH, without volwels, but they wrote every word without vowels. The original Hebrew manuscripts had no vowels at all.

When the Masoretes developed vowel pointing (during the Middle Ages) and started adding it to the Hebrew scriptures, then they added the vowels from Adonai to YHWH.

There were other ways of marking YHWH as a holy name though. The Dead Sea Scrolls are much older than the Masoretic Text. In this section (Psalms 119:56-64), YHWH is written using Paleo-Hebrew letters (see the blue arrow):

tetragrm.gif
Thanks for this. Tried to PM you to ask a question but would not let me. If you have time please drop me a note. God Bless!

Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it very interesting in the verse of Eph 2:8-10 that is is told to all who listen, that grace is given by god for the salvation of those who are called by Him; The Elect. Yet Denominations keep saying that They get mankind spiritually saved!

Andy Centek

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Isn't it very interesting in the verse of Eph 2:8-10 that is is told to all who listen, that grace is given by god for the salvation of those who are called by Him; The Elect. Yet Denominations keep saying that They get mankind spiritually saved!

Andy Centek

What does this have to do with the thread's subject?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know quite a few Christians who have no idea they worship Yahweh. They just say God. God is his title, not his name. By saying God in your prayers, literally any other god (Odin, Zeus, etc) could claim you are praying to them instead.

(I didn't know his real name until a few years ago. Grew up going to church, and I never heard a single person say Yahweh's name (some Jehovah's, but no Yahwehs)).
Good question and I also wish more translations would use YAHWEH/YEHOVAH, along with the word "'ELOHIYM".
They are fist used together in Genesis 2:4 and the 1st time #3068 is used.
Both are "transliterations" of the Hebrew words #3068 and #430.

Gene 2:4
These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created,
in the day that Yahweh/Yĕhovah<3068>יְהֹוָה > 'Elohiym/אֱלֹהִים ('elohiym),>430> make the earth and the heavens,

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon

Strong's Number H3068 matches the Hebrew יְהֹוָה (Yĕhovah),

Strong's Number H430 matches the Hebrew אֱלֹהִים ('elohiym),
The original Hebrew manuscripts wrote God's name as YHWH, without volwels, but they wrote every word without vowels. The original Hebrew manuscripts had no vowels at all.

When the Masoretes developed vowel pointing (during the Middle Ages) and started adding it to the Hebrew scriptures, then they added the vowels from Adonai to YHWH.

There were other ways of marking YHWH as a holy name though. The Dead Sea Scrolls are much older than the Masoretic Text. In this section (Psalms 119:56-64), YHWH is written using Paleo-Hebrew letters (see the blue arrow):

tetragrm.gif
Very interesting...
If we want to get really technical it is YHWH Elohim (LORD God). You many pronounce YHWH (or YHVH) as Yahweh, but others pronounced it as Jehovah, and devout Jews would not pronounce it for fear of taking the Lord's name in vain. So they substituted Adonai (Lord) for YHWH, and the KJV rightly followed their custom, but used LORD (in small capitals).

So if you really want to speak Yahweh's name, JESUS should suffice. The Hebrew equivalent of Jesus is Yeshua or YAH-SHUA (God is our salvation). Jesus said that He was the "I AM" and that is also Yahweh's name.
Good post.......

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know quite a few Christians who have no idea they worship Yahweh. They just say God. God is his title, not his name. By saying God in your prayers, literally any other god (Odin, Zeus, etc) could claim you are praying to them instead.

(I didn't know his real name until a few years ago. Grew up going to church, and I never heard a single person say Yahweh's name (some Jehovah's, but no Yahwehs)).

I agree that "God" is a vague term, and prefer Yehovah myself (which seems to be the closest approximation to the actual pronunciation).

We have to remember though that Yehovah is not literally His name as such but His description in Hebrew; meaning something along the lines of "the one who IS". This should be our focus when speaking and thinking of Him, and not simply the Hebrew form of the name.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I know quite a few Christians who have no idea they worship Yahweh. They just say God. God is his title, not his name. By saying God in your prayers, literally any other god (Odin, Zeus, etc) could claim you are praying to them.

If someone says God in their prayers...it is ultimately a heart issue as to who they are choosing to address.

I have an Uncle Jesus but i am not praying to him just because he has the name.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm glad it's not outright printed in most. People can't even decide if Hebrew has a V or W sound. Modern Hebrew uses a "V" sound (and some religious Jews maintain it was also the original), but modern scholarship maintains it's more of a "W" sound... which is more like Arabic.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Exodus 3:13-15 (NASB)
Then Moses said to God,
“Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them,
‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you.’
Now they may say to me, ‘What is His name?’ What shall I say to them?”
God said to Moses,
“I AM WHO I AM”;
and He said,
“Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘"I AM" has sent me to you.’”
God, furthermore, said to Moses,
“Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel,
‘The LORD, the God of your fathers,
the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’
This is My name ("I AM") forever,
and this is My memorial-name to all generations.

to God,...Hebrew 430...'elohiym....
II.(plural intensive - singular meaning)...D.the (true) God

I AM"...Hebrew 1961...hayah...to be, become, come to pass, exist, happen...

The LORD,(all caps for reverence)...Hebrew 3068...Yehovah
"the existing One" A.the proper name of the one true God
i.unpronounced except with the vowel pointings of 0136 (YHWH unspoken)

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: straykat
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

tetragrm.gif
I've heard all that too. I've also heard this....
1,000 Manuscripts with Yehovah - Hebrew Voices - NehemiasWall.com
The Historical Pronunciation of Vav - Hebrew Voices - NehemiasWall.com

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

messianist

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
a
✟282,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Exegeses: The Ready Research Bible by herb jahn

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Did you ever sing or say Hallelujah?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The New Jerusalem Bible is the only one I have that uses the name "Yahweh" -- I think at one time the 'Tetragrammaton' - YHWH - was considered too sacred to speak. "Jehovah" was a different name for Yahweh with consonants/vowels a little different.

The New Jerusalem Bible just says "God" where Elohim is used rather than Yahweh, where Yahweh is used in Hebrew, it says Yahweh.
There are others as well.

Names of God (NOG) Bible: Bible Gateway passage: Isaiah 45 - Names of God Bible

The ASV: Bible Gateway passage: Isaiah 45 - American Standard Version

And the Lexham English Bible which is a word for word literal translation from LOGOS:

Bible Gateway passage: Isaiah 45 - Lexham English Bible

Edit: Oh yes the Young's Literal Translation (YLT) too!

Last edited:
Upvote 0