LDS Why do Mormons think they are of the Aaronic priesthood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Why do Mormons think they are of the Aaronic and Melchezedek (know I spelled that wrong) priesthoods? What is the premise?

It is the priesthood of Christ, given to His church.

I feel like I'm not understanding your question. Does you think there isn't any priesthood on this Earth? What do your priests hold then?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is the priesthood of Christ, given to His church.

I feel like I'm not understanding your question. Does you think there isn't any priesthood on this Earth? What do your priests hold then?
In the Bible, Jesus is the High Priest and the other priesthoods were only temporary in that they existed until Jesus death, for temporary atonement of sin. I think we talked about this in depth on another thread. That blood sacrifices needed to be made for temporary atonement of sin in the Old Testament under the Old Covenant.

Hebrews 4:14-16
14 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

This explains it more in depth

Question: "What does it mean that Jesus is our High Priest?"

Answer:
High Priest is only one of the many titles applied to Jesus: Messiah, Savior, Son of God, Son of Man, Friend of Sinners, etc. Each one focuses on a particular aspect of who He is and what that means for us. In the book of Hebrews, Jesus is called a High Priest (Hebrews 2:17; 4:14). The word “priest” carries a couple of primary meanings. First, it means one who mediates in religious services. It also means one who is holy or set apart to perform those services.

The first place we find the word used in the Bible is in Genesis 14. Abraham, the friend of God, entered into battle to rescue his nephew Lot, who had been captured by the army of Elam. On his return, Abraham was met by Melchizedek, King of Salem and priest of the Most High God. This man, whose name means the “king of righteousness,” blessed Abraham and the Most High God who gave victory to Abraham. In return for this blessing, Abraham gave a tithe (10 percent) of all the spoils of war to Melchizedek. By this act, Abraham acknowledged Melchizedek’s high position as the priest of God.

Years later, Abraham's great-grandson Levi was singled out by God to be the father of the priestly tribe. When the Law was given on Mount Sinai, the Levites were identified as the servants of the Tabernacle, with the family of Aaron becoming the priests. The priests were responsible for making intercession to God for the people by offering the many sacrifices that the law required. Among the priests, one was selected as the High Priest, and he entered into the Most Holy Place once a year on the Day of Atonement to place the blood of the sacrifice on the Ark of the Covenant (Hebrews 9:7). By these daily and yearly sacrifices, the sins of the people were temporarily covered until the Messiah came to take away their sins.

When Jesus is called our High Priest, it is with reference to both of these previous priesthoods. Like Melchizedek, He is ordained as a priest apart from the Law given on Mount Sinai (Hebrews 5:6). Like the Levitical priests, Jesus offered a sacrifice to satisfy the Law of God when He offered Himself for our sins (Hebrews 7:26-27). Unlike the Levitical priests, who had to continually offer sacrifices, Jesus only had to offer His sacrifice once, gaining eternal redemption for all who come to God through Him (Hebrews 9:12).

One other important point about Jesus' priesthood—every priest is appointed from among men. Jesus, though God from eternity, became a man in order to suffer death and serve as our High Priest (Hebrews 2:9). As a man, He was subject to all the weaknesses and temptations that we are, so that He could personally relate to us in our struggles (Hebrews 4:15). Jesus is greater than any other priest, so He is called our “Great High Priest” in Hebrews 4:14, and that gives us the boldness to come “unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need” (Hebrews 4:16 KJV).

Taken from http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-High-Priest.html

So, in essence, needing high priests or those who are in high priest positions is not giving that rightful position to Jesus Christ and is saying that we still need the Old Testament priesthoods to atone temporarily for sin, which we DO NOT because we have our High Priest, the Son of God, Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
In the Bible, Jesus is the High Priest and the other priesthoods were only temporary in that they existed until Jesus death, for temporary atonement of sin.

Agreed on the end of sacrifice, but where in the Bible does it say that priesthood was only temporary? Do you see the purpose of priesthood to be limited only to sacrifice?

A priest is a person call of God to lead His people here on Earth, serving under the direction of the High Priest Christ. This is unchanged through time.

(*Jane's teacher mode kicks in* BTW, good job citing your sources)

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does you think there isn't any priesthood on this Earth?
Peter says "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;" (1 Peter 2:9)

So, yes we in Jesus are God's "royal priesthood".

And in Hebrews we have how Jesus needed to rise "and not be called according to the order of Aaron" (in Hebrews 7:11-18). "For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law."

Therefore, there has been the change from the priesthood of Aaron; and the priesthood of Jesus is superior to the priesthood of Aaron.

Included in the priesthood of Jesus is how Jesus is our High Priest who "makes intercession for us", Paul says in Romans 8:34. Jesus is praying for us according to His own faith; this is "why" we get blessed so better than we hope to get with our own prayers and the prayer of our prayer heros!!! :) We keep gaining all which is so better than what our faith is now ready to seek > we keep needing correction, then, so we are ready to detect and handle how well God blesses us.

And, "of course", the Bible does not say Aaron is making intercession for us; and how, ever, could Aaron a human be able to pray for us as well as Jesus "makes intercession for us"?

Also >

"For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin." (Hebrews 4:15)

Jesus is our Groom, and as our High Priest Jesus has gone through things we go through, here on earth, in order that now Jesus can feel for us and help us with the grace which made Him able to do so well here. And we are in this priesthood . . . the "royal priesthood" of Jesus our King. And we, also, can use our experience to help us feel for others and help them by ministering to them the grace which Jesus ministers to us.

We have overcome, we have overcome,
we have overcome by faith;
oh, deep in our hearts
we have received
how we have overcome by faith . . .

"faith working through love" (Galatians 5:6)
pouring from above (Romans 5:5),
running over from Heaven's Cup
who is Jesus our Lord,
our soon-coming Reward (Genesis 15:1) . . .
the King who is our Groom by faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Why do Mormons think they are of the Aaronic and Melchezedek (know I spelled that wrong) priesthoods? What is the premise?
The premise is this:
JS and his friend Oliver Cowdrey were translating the BOM. At one point in the translation, JS translated an event in which men were baptizing people into the church of God. He was suddenly caught up with the thought that he will be baptizing people into the church of God, but he had never been given the right or authority to baptize.

So with that thought in their minds they went into a wooded area and knelt down to pray about what authority was needed to baptize. At that time an angel came to them and he said that his name was John the Baptist, the same John that ministered and baptized the Savior. He was sent from the presence of God to Joseph and Oliver to restore the Aaronic priesthood again to the earth. So he laid his hands on their heads and bestowed the Aaronic priesthood to them and with that authority, they were now authorized by the Lord to baptize people into the church of God.

Some months later, JS and Oliver were again praying to the Lord, and He sent Peter, James, and John to them, who were apostles of Jesus Christ. They too, laid their hands on their heads and bestowed the Melchisedec priesthood to them, which gave them the power and authority of the Melchisedec priesthood, which is the power and authority to preside over all the affairs of the church.

So the premise is that priesthood power was given to JS by heavenly messangers sent from God and JS now had the power and authority to do what was necessary to operate the church according to the will of God.

If JS does not recieve priesthood authority it is all over.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The premise is this:
JS and his friend Oliver Cowdrey were translating the BOM. At one point in the translation, JS translated an event in which men were baptizing people into the church of God. He was suddenly caught up with the thought that he will be baptizing people into the church of God, but he had never been given the right or authority to baptize.

So with that thought in their minds they went into a wooded area and knelt down to pray about what authority was needed to baptize. At that time an angel came to them and he said that his name was John the Baptist, the same John that ministered and baptized the Savior. He was sent from the presence of God to Joseph and Oliver to restore the Aaronic priesthood again to the earth. So he laid his hands on their heads and bestowed the Aaronic priesthood to them and with that authority, they were now authorized by the Lord to baptize people into the church of God.

Some months later, JS and Oliver were again praying to the Lord, and He sent Peter, James, and John to them, who were apostles of Jesus Christ. They too, laid their hands on their heads and bestowed the Melchisedec priesthood to them, which gave them the power and authority of the Melchisedec priesthood, which is the power and authority to preside over all the affairs of the church.

So the premise is that priesthood power was given to JS by heavenly messangers sent from God and JS now had the power and authority to do what was necessary to operate the church according to the will of God.

If JS does not recieve priesthood authority it is all over.

What is odd though is that the need for the priesthood ended with Jesus death. The priesthood existed to temporarily atone for sin until the Messiah came, Jesus Christ. Then all sins were forgiven through Christ's blood and death on the cross. No more need for priests or temporary atonement for sin.

This is what Jesus Himself said, that ALL go and baptize and share the gospel. No one needed the priesthood. Jesus is the High Priest.

Matthew 28
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.

Every Christian and follower of Jesus Christ has the power to baptize and spread the gospel. That would include you.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
What is odd though is that the need for the priesthood ended with Jesus death. The priesthood existed to temporarily atone for sin until the Messiah came, Jesus Christ. Then all sins were forgiven through Christ's blood and death on the cross. No more need for priests or temporary atonement for sin.

This is what Jesus Himself said, that ALL go and baptize and share the gospel. No one needed the priesthood. Jesus is the High Priest.

Matthew 28
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.

Every Christian and follower of Jesus Christ has the power to baptize and spread the gospel. That would include you.

TBL says:
What is odd though is that the need for the priesthood ended with Jesus death.

I doubt you can find a scripture that says, "the need for the priesthhod ended with Jesus's death.

On the otherhand I can find plenty of scriptures that would clearly state that the priesthood is necessary, especially with Jesus in heaven. And that incudes the Melchisedec priesthood and the Aaronic priesthood. The simplest definition of priesthood is: the power and authority given to men to act in the name of God.

Exodus 19:6

5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Does this sound familiar to 1 Peter 2:5 and 1 Peter 2:9 (1400 years later)
5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritualhouse,
an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritualsacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darknessinto his marvellous light:

These words of Jesus to Moses and Jesus to his apostles were 1400 years apart, but it certainly does not look like he is going to end the priesthood, in fact he changed and enlarged the priesthood when he came to include all men, whether of the tribe of Levi or of the tribe of Rome, whether Jew or Gentile. But even though it was changed, the old priesthood was not done away.
See Exodus 40:15 and Numbers 25:13

How do we know Jesus changed, and enlarged the priesthood, rather than doing away with the priesthood? See Hebrews 7:11-12
11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

It was changed because the gospel now was to go to all the world and there needed to be far more priesthood holders to carry this message and to operate the churches on a world-wide basis, so Peter called the early church a royal priesthood, because all worthy men were able to hold the priesthood and help the apostles operate the church, not just the tribe of Levi.

That is why Jesus ordained the apostles and gave them the priesthood.
Mark 3:14
And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach,
John 15:16
16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, andthat your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Why did Jesus ordain them? To give them power and authority to operate the church when he went to heaven. That is the very definition of priesthood, the power and authority given to men to act in the name of God.

Finally, Jesus gave Peter the keys of the Kingdom of God.
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

So when the apostles ordained bishops on earth, heaven accepted that ordination. When the bishops baptized people on earth, heaven accepted that baptism. When leaders of the church forgave sin, that sin was forgiven in heaven. When a persons membership in the church was revoked because of some matter, heaven recognized that this person was no longer a member of the church. etc., etc., etc.
The power of men to act in the name of God.

Without the priesthood, it is all over. So the priesthood is here to stay, it did not end with the death of Jesus, in fact he changed it and enlarged it.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
TBL says:
What is odd though is that the need for the priesthood ended with Jesus death.

I doubt you can find a scripture that says, "the need for the priesthhod ended with Jesus's death.

On the otherhand I can find plenty of scriptures that would clearly state that the priesthood is necessary, especially with Jesus in heaven. And that incudes the Melchisedec priesthood and the Aaronic priesthood. The simplest definition of priesthood is: the power and authority given to men to act in the name of God.
That is not what the priesthood is.

The priesthood were people that would be the go between between God and man. The priesthood offered up the blood sacrifice for the Hebrew people to God for temporary sin atonement.

Now with Jesus, the FINAL High Priest, there is no more go between between God and man, we pray directly to God because Jesus IS the Only mediator between man and God.
http://biblehub.com/1_timothy/2-5.htm
1 Timothy 2:5
5 For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

The priesthood temporarily (that is why it was temporary atonement for a short period of time and had to be redone and redone and redone) accounted for sin, until Jesus lived and died on the cross, His blood the permanant sacrifice for sin.

Hebrews 10
11And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering often times the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: 12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; 13From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. 14For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Hebrews 7:26-28

26 For it was fitting for us to have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens; 27 who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the sins of the people, because this He did once for all when He offered up Himself. 28 For the Law appoints men as high priests who are weak, but the word of the oath, which came after the Law, appoints a Son, made perfect forever.

That's exactly what the BIble says. No more priesthood. Jesus was the last High Priest.

Now Christians are part of the church which is also called God's priesthood, but that is ALL followers of Jesus Christ, not special people. Because Jesus already died for our sins and justified us as righteous and holy. So no more sin is held against us.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Does this sound familiar to 1 Peter 2:5 and 1 Peter 2:9 (1400 years later)
5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house,
an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darknessinto his marvellous light:
But notice carefully. That it is spiritual, not physical.

The priesthood physically offered blood sacrifices on an alter in the OT.

What we are called to after Jesus death is to spiritual things. Not physical.

5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Every person saved by the blood of Jesus Christ is part of the church of Christ. The entire church, everyone (you and me and Jane) is the priesthood in Christ.

So no more Hebrew priests (Aaronic priests) because we are ALL in the priesthood of Christ.

So no more Hebrew priests (Melchezedek priests) because we are ALL in the priesthood of Christ.

Who is NOT in the priesthood of Jesus Christ who is saved by His blood on the Cross? That is the question.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
So no more Hebrew priests (Aaronic priests) because we are ALL in the priesthood of Christ.

So no more Hebrew priests (Melchezedek priests) because we are ALL in the priesthood of Christ.

TBL,

You say "there is no priesthood anymore" and then say "we are all in the priesthood". Are these not contradictory statements?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
TBL,

You say "there is no priesthood anymore" and then say "we are all in the priesthood". Are these not contradictory statements?
There is no physical Hebrew priesthood (men designated as a spiritual "go between") between sinful mankind and the perfect God.

Because Christ died for all sin, conquered sin and justifies us (makes us not sinful) we no longer need a spiritual "go between" between our sins (mankind) and perfect God, because Christ gives us His perfection and forgives our sins, making us as perfect as He is.

Where there use to be a wall between mankind and God called "sin". Jesus gave us forgiveness of all sin, so in Him we are perfect and there is no wall there. Jesus tore down the wall when He conquered sin on the cross.

So now the Holy Spirit indwells us because that wall is no longer there. Because we have God Himself indwelling us, and we are heirs of Christ, we are called the royal priesthood and Jesus our Only High Priest.

Because ONLY with Him making us heirs of His glory are we even able to commune again with God.

Does that make sense?

Or I could describe it like this as an alternate explanation.

God the Father will give to His perfect Only Begotten Son anything He desires because the Son is in the same will (wanting 100% the SAME EXACT THING) as the Father.

So, the Son decides to die as a man and conquer sin, so He can give each one of us His perfection, like we never sinned.

The Father is fine with that.

So, we are heirs of Christ Jesus and co-heirs to the Father, through Christ.

When the Father see's us, He see's His perfect Only Begotten Son and He is pleased and glorifies His Son with all that He has.

This 2 minute video explains it

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
There is no physical Hebrew priesthood (men designated as a spiritual "go between") between sinful mankind and the perfect God.

Because Christ died for all sin, conquered sin and justifies us (makes us not sinful) we no longer need a spiritual "go between" between our sins (mankind) and perfect God, because Christ gives us His perfection and forgives our sins, making us as perfect as He is.

Where there use to be a wall between mankind and God called "sin". Jesus gave us forgiveness of all sin, so in Him we are perfect and there is no wall there. Jesus tore down the wall when He conquered sin on the cross.

So now the Holy Spirit indwells us because that wall is no longer there. Because we have God Himself indwelling us, and we are heirs of Christ, we are called the royal priesthood and Jesus our Only High Priest.

Because ONLY with Him making us heirs of His glory are we even able to commune again with God.

Does that make sense?

Or I could describe it like this as an alternate explanation.

God the Father will give to His perfect Only Begotten Son anything He desires because the Son is in the same will (wanting 100% the SAME EXACT THING) as the Father.

So, the Son decides to die as a man and conquer sin, so He can give each one of us His perfection, like we never sinned.

The Father is fine with that.

So, we are heirs of Christ Jesus and co-heirs to the Father, through Christ.

When the Father see's us, He see's His perfect Only Begotten Son and He is pleased and glorifies His Son with all that He has.

This 2 minute video explains it

[/QUOTE]

Do you realize that LDS do not see a wall between us and God? But rather, encourage everyone to go directly to God and His wisdom?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do you realize that LDS do not see a wall between us and God? But rather, encourage everyone to go directly to God and His wisdom?
I was explaining specifically why no physical Hebrew priesthood is needed between man and God.

It's only your faith that claims they are part of this non-existant for 2,000 years priesthood and that they are still needed.

I explained why Jesus Christ took their place. All of them physically attoning for sin. Please stay on topic if you are going to reply to a response I made to some else. How fair is that ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
It's only your faith that claims they are part of this non-existant for 2,000 years priesthood and that they are still needed.

Actually, vast majority of Christians believe that a priesthood is still needed (though disagreements on who/what it entails). Churches which teach this include the Catholic Churches and Orthodox Churches.

I do not know any Christian church (and I'm including the LDS here) whom view the priesthood as some replacement for Christ or replace/supplement His atonement. Rather the common view (including LDS) is that priests are servants of Christ.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Actually, vast majority of Christians believe that a priesthood is still needed (though disagreements on who/what it entails). Churches which teach this include the Catholic Churches and Orthodox Churches.

I do not know any Christian church (and I'm including the LDS here) whom view the priesthood as some replacement for Christ or replace/supplement His atonement. Rather the common view (including LDS) is that priests are servants of Christ.
Please prove that with documentation.

Well I'll go get you quotes from the LDS website that says different. I just wrote this out.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Please prove that with documentation.
Do I really need to document that Catholics and Orthodox have priesthood? I think this is kind of obvious...

Well I'll go get you quotes from the LDS website that says different. I just wrote this out.
Could you post one or two specific here. Sorry, I found your earlier post hard to follow.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Could you post one or two specific here. Sorry, I found your earlier post hard to follow.

First of all, only Jesus can send the Holy Spirit just as Jesus only can forgive sin, so this is blasphemy.

During the appearance of John called the Baptist, Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery were informed that the Melchizedek Priesthood, with its power to bestow the gift of the Holy Ghost, “would in due time be conferred on us” (JS—H 1:72).

Second, Jesus said that ALL of His Children are to spread the gospel.

God took the gospel and salvation from the world because of the Apostasy and gave the gospel and the power to preach it only to JS and the Mormons.
https://www.lds.org/topics/melchizedek-priesthood?lang=eng
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1985/11/the-oath-and-covenant-of-the-priesthood?lang=eng

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
First of all, only Jesus can send the Holy Spirit just as Jesus only can forgive sin, so this is blasphemy.

During the appearance of John called the Baptist, Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery were informed that the Melchizedek Priesthood, with its power to bestow the gift of the Holy Ghost, “would in due time be conferred on us” (JS—H 1:72).
You're mixing up bestowing the gift of the Holy Ghost, and bestowing the Holy Ghost itself. This will help explain the difference: https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-21-the-gift-of-the-holy-ghost?lang=eng

God took the gospel and salvation from the world because of the Apostasy and gave the gospel and the power to preach it only to JS and the Mormons.
https://www.lds.org/topics/melchizedek-priesthood?lang=eng
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1985/11/the-oath-and-covenant-of-the-priesthood?lang=eng

Mormons do believe that mainstream Christendom is in apostasy and has been for centuries, having twisted God's teachings and lost His authority. This doesn't mean that they completely lack Goodness, but that it is imperfect. We've talking about this before...

Reactions: Super14LDS
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.