LDS Why do Mormons really not understand the Cross?

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone noticed that Mormon Wards and even the Temples have no crosses on them? Inside these Wards you will likely see no Cross of any kind, In the true Christian world it is almost an expectation that there will be a Cross either outside a Church or in it---displayed prominently in the front of the chapel in many Churches. Most Christians, I believe do not even notice the Crosses as we hardly worship them. {this is an argument sometimes used by the LDS}

I was reminded of that aspect about Crosses, actually yesterday when I held a short service or an informal Bible Study for the Residents of a Nursing Home. As this is a State-run Facility they, incorporate different Churches to come in throughout the month and they have a Chapel Room with a fixed table [which Catholics can use as an alter] and a fair-sized wooden Cross behind it on the wall.

Also go in there on Wednesdays, for a once-a-month for 45 minute short Church Service where others and I are representing the Baptists--so no one really has a problem with the way the room is set up--except for the Mormons, it seems. Have sung for these Residents in this particular facility for many years, but that is another story.

My time for my Bible Study was 2-3PM and the LDS missionaries were to come in at 3. As I do not represent a particular Denomination for this Study, the Activity Director allows me to just list my Bible Study in their schedule as "Christian"

I was just finishing up with my Bible Study on the Lord's Prayer when at approx. 2:50, these missionaries came through the door as if they were on a tight schedule or really a mission. [mission---missionaries lol]. I noticed that one of these missionaries immediately took the Cross down from the wall behind the alter to begin their service, which some of the Residents stayed for. Personally, I felt the Holy Sprit leave at just that moment, but then I have had these feeling of spiritual warfare at other times at LDS funerals in particular.[ My own mother and father's Mormon funerals were good examples for me to always be wary of.]

I certainly did not share with the Residents what I was spiritually feeling. A few asked the Aides to take them in their wheelchairs to their rooms, but as for me I needed to get myself outside.

Many ex-Mormons like me agree that the reason many Mormons do not like the Cross or even hate it at times, is that it represents defeat for satan, that those "many" do not realize. While I am friends with many Mormons and generally do my best to live around them, I cannot help but come away from that fact that they are very, very decieved as I was for a lot of years and to show love for them in that realization. I live in a town that is probably around 50% LDS, so you have to definitely adapt and watch what you say about your Faith and definitely their's to avoid a confrontation. I even gave the eulogy at my mother's LDS funeral and more-or-less got my words approved beforehand by the bishop. That particular bishop was a very accommodating man [btw] when he served, and I came away with a lot of respect for him personally --just not his Religion.

There is a "time and a place" for confrontation that as I have realized for the past 25 years.

Last edited:

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you accusing Mormons of worshipping Satan?
No--- did I say specifically that they worship satan?

As a Cross represent new life to many of us--it represents something all together different In deceptions of Mormons,

1 Corinthians 1:18
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

You can take from that verse which ever way you want to go.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We had a very long thread about this topic a few years ago: LDS - Mormonism is an enemy of the Cross and therefore not Christian

It got pretty interesting. I can't think of anything to say in this thread that I didn't already say in that one, but yeah...Mormonism is against the cross for various reasons that the Mormons lay out in that thread, and they're all still ridiculous just like they were then, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mormonism --- Quotes

Jesus’s atoning sacrifice took place in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross at Calvary. In Gethsemane He submitted to the will of the Father and began to take upon Himself the sins of all people. He has revealed some of what He experienced as He paid the price for our sins:

“I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent;

“But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I;

“Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink --

“Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men” (D&C 19:16–19; see also Luke 22:44; Mosiah 3:7).

The Savior continued to suffer for our sins when He allowed Himself to be crucified—“lifted up upon the cross and slain for the sins of the world” (1 Nephi 11:33).
Atonement of Jesus Christ

Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Has anyone noticed that Mormon Wards and even the Temples have no crosses on them?

If you'll notice, newer chapels will instead have a cavity in front behind the pulpit representing the Empty Tomb.

Or is that an inadequate symbol?

Most Christians, I believe do not even notice the Crosses as we hardly worship them. {this is an argument sometimes used by the LDS}

Then why are you treating it like a membership card?

I was just finishing up with my Bible Study on the Lord's Prayer when at approx. 2:50, these missionaries came through the door as if they were on a tight schedule or really a mission. [mission---missionaries lol]. I noticed that one of these missionaries immediately took the Cross down from the wall behind the alter to begin their service, which some of the Residents stayed for. Personally, I felt the Holy Sprit leave at just that moment, but then I have had these feeling of spiritual warfare at other times at LDS funerals in particular.[ My own mother and father's Mormon funerals were good examples for me to always be wary of.]

So because two missionaries behave in a fashion you've yet to ask them about, you assume the entire denomination is waging some sort of war?

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
No--- did I say specifically that they worship satan?

As a Cross represent new life to many of us--it represents something all together different In deceptions of Mormons,

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

You can take from that verse which ever way you want to go.

You're still leaving a *lot* of room for interpretation here, much of it negative in nature.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
We remember Christ's death and His atonement each week when we partake of the sacrament. Pictures of Jesus remind us of His life. Many people died on the cross. The cross is a symbol of death. That being said, there are scriptures that are about the cross.

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We remember Christ's death and His atonement each week when we partake of the sacrament. Pictures of Jesus remind us of His life. Many people died on the cross. The cross is a symbol of death. That being said, there are scriptures that are about the cross.

You use a fair amount of words here to say absolutely nothing. But then, you are admitting something by you own words. And yes, there are scriptures about the Cross:

And I notice that you did not try to correct me on anything I said, but then I doubt you read the OP, anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you'll notice, newer chapels will instead have a cavity in front behind the pulpit representing the Empty Tomb.

Or is that an inadequate symbol?

Christian churches have symbols to tell the world they are Christian. Where is Christ in this Empty Tomb?, Ashamed of Him?

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then why are you treating it like a membership card?
Seems like the question would be in this false equivalency ----- where is the Mormon's membership card---like everyone else has?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So because two missionaries behave in a fashion you've yet to ask them about, you assume the entire denomination is waging some sort of war?

Come now--I have know you Church has an avoidance for the Cross as I was a Mormon for 40 years. And why would I ask them about it when as I said there is a "time and a place". I also knew what it was about, so no need for stupid questions.
Spiritual forces are waging war, not decieved members. You obviously have not studied Ephesians 6:10-17

These questions are the best the Mormon Church has to offer?

• Informative
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Seems like the question would be in this false equivalency ----- where is the Mormon's membership card---like everyone else has?

How then, do you personally see the Cross?

Is it of true theological importance to you, or is it simply a membership card like your post rather seems to indicate?

You see, where I live in Central Texas, you can frequently find crosses and other religious trinkets in vending machines. Anyone can drop their $0.50, get a capsule, and they now have a cross, Virgin icon, or something similar. I myself have quite the collection of them.

In the past, I've asked people here if dropping their quarters in, getting one of these capsules, and wearing the contents automatically makes one a "Christian", or if there actually is more to the declaration than displaying a specific symbol.

The general response I keep getting is "Wearing a cross doesn't make you a Christian, but not wearing one excludes you".

It's a double-standard, and is generally done without anyone stopping to consciously think about the matter, let alone their personal point of view.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You use a fair amount of words here to say absolutely nothing. But then, you are admitting something by you own words. And yes, there are scriptures about the Cross:

And I notice that you did not try to correct me on anything I said, but then I doubt you read the OP, anyway.
Maybe Mormons (no such thing), even though we are categorized as such, hate the cross, but members of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints. do not hate the cross. We don't use it because it is a symbol of death. We would rather celebrate Christ's life. Jesus Christ was a great teacher, healer, , and miracle worker. It seems to me that some people only see what is in it for them and not what we can do for God. Jesus said:

(New Testament | Matthew 7:21)

21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Perhaps that is what should be the real focus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How then, do you personally see the Cross?

Is it of true theological importance to you, or is it simply a membership card like your post rather seems to indicate?

You see, where I live in Central Texas, you can frequently find crosses and other religious trinkets in vending machines. Anyone can drop their $0.50, get a capsule, and they now have a cross, Virgin icon, or something similar. I myself have quite the collection of them.

In the past, I've asked people here if dropping their quarters in, getting one of these capsules, and wearing the contents automatically makes one a "Christian", or if there actually is more to the declaration than displaying a specific symbol.

The general response I keep getting is "Wearing a cross doesn't make you a Christian, but not wearing one excludes you".

It's a double-standard, and is generally done without anyone stopping to consciously think about the matter, let alone their personal point of view.
You think this is about me?
You church has the problem with the Cross, not I.

But figure Mormons to try to take the focus off themselves and in this case having a problem with the Cross, which you obviously do not deny.

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe Mormons (no such thing), even though we are categorized as such, hate the cross, but members of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints. do not hate the cross. We don't use it because it is a symbol of death. We would rather celebrate Christ's life. Jesus Christ was a great teacher, healer, , and miracle worker. It seems to me that some people only see what is in it for them and not what we can do for God. Jesus said:

(New Testament | Matthew 7:21)

21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Perhaps that is what should be the real focus.

Wonerful, you can claim you do not specifically HATE the Cross, So why does your Church avoid it so much? Take it down from the walls of the chapel and try to minimize it so much.

Yes you are a different Religion and yet you want to be counted as Christian? Pul--ease!

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,234.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As a symbol i find the simplicity and meaning of the cross to be more profound than any offered reason to reject it. It's ubiquity and use within Christianity go back to the New Testament where it was not a visual symbol but a metaphor for our own lives. Whereas the world recoiled at the cross, Christians boasted in the cross and that they themselves had been crucified to the world.

I simply look at it as a Mormon way of distinguishing themselves from Christendom. Which they should honestly do because they have no part in it.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
As a symbol i find the simplicity and meaning of the cross to be more profound than any offered reason to reject it. It's ubiquity and use within Christianity go back to the New Testament where it was not a visual symbol but a metaphor for our own lives. Whereas the world recoiled at the cross, Christians boasted in the cross and that they themselves had been crucified to the world.

I simply look at it as a Mormon way of distinguishing themselves from Christendom. Which they should honestly do because they have no part in it.

They have changed their teachings and practices to try to make the religion more palatable to potential converts, especially to Protestants here in America.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
From a book that I own (Answers to Gospel Questions):
Joseph Fielding Smith – “To many, like the writer, such a custom is repugnant and contrary to the true worship of our Redeemer. Why should we bow down before a cross or use it as a symbol? Because our Savior died on the cross, the wearing of crosses is to most Latter-day Saints in very poor taste and inconsistent to our worship.” (Answers to Gospel Questions 4:17)

In Italy, the Mormon temple in Rome, has a large cross symbol on the front doors, yet the angel Moroni is atop the spire. When in Rome...

If you patiently watch this short video, you will see the cross:

Upvote 0