Why do many Christians not understand this?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Why do many Christians not understand that it is by God's grace that we are saved through our faith? Why do they understand that our faith is not of our own doing but that it is a gift of God? Not by our works because our works are as righteous as filthy rags?

Why do they not understand that to accept this teaching does not make them robots nor does it nullify God's grace but instead enhances it a billion times fold? Why do they not understand that it is God that needs all the glory, not mankind because without God, we are nothing.

Why do people not understand that without God's sovereignty we are nothing? Or that there is not a single thing that happens that goes outside of God's sovereign will and God is sovereign over all?

Sound familiar? It should and not a single word I said did I make up on my own but was Holy Scripture. Because I just quoted one of the most popular pieces of scripture that Paul wrote and mentioned several sections of the Bible including what the Prophet Isaiah prophesied all those years ago. Because, Christians the world over love to quote these verses to say that we aren't saved by our works (which is true) but, they also ignore the rest of what Paul and the prophets wrote. Let me explain and highlight Ephesians 2:8-9 for people.

Ephesians 2:8-9

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Yes, it is your faith that saves you. There's no twisting or disagreement here. But your faith does not come from you, it comes from the grace and mercy of God. This faith is more precious than gold, because it comes from God. This faith will never waver and will never go away, because it comes from and is kept by God.

Don't believe me? Read what Paul, Peter, Jesus, and the writer of Hebrews said about our faith and about our salvation. Study it and take its meaning to heart because, everything I said is all there. Especially the Apostle Peter who said that we are a chosen possession and God's forever. Born of not corruptible seed, but incorruptible.

Yet, it's a frequent belief in Christianty that Eternal Security is a doctrine of the devil. Why? Because the Apostles talked about it and they're of the devil? That's essentially what they're saying. Its commonly taught that the basic idea of the reformed theology is from the Devil as well. Why? Because Paul is of the devil? Be careful what you're saying here. I didn't write these things, the Apostles and Prophets did. The apostle Paul may have had a shady past but Christ said he was chosen by God and everything that comes from his mouth is true, even Peter said so. I'll say it again. We are saved by Grace through faith. This faith is not of ourselves but is a gift from God and that faith will last now and forever. Amen!

Last edited:

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do many Christians not understand that it is by God's grace that we are saved through our faith? Why do they understand that our faith is not of our own doing but that it is a gift of God? Not by our works because our works are as righteous as filthy rags?

Why do they not understand that to accept this teaching does not make them robots nor does it nullify God's grace but instead enhances it a billion times fold? Why do they not understand that it is God that needs all the glory, not mankind because without God, we are nothing.

Why do people not understand that without God's sovereignty we are nothing? Or that there is not a single thing that happens that goes outside of God's sovereign will and God is sovereign over all?

Sound familiar? It should and not a single word I said did I make up on my own but was Holy Scripture. Because I just quoted one of the most popular pieces of scripture that Paul wrote and mentioned several sections of the Bible including what the Prophet Isaiah prophesied all those years ago. Because, Christians the world over love to quote these verses to say that we aren't saved by our works (which is true) but, they also ignore the rest of what Paul and the prophets wrote. Let me explain and highlight Ephesians 2:8-9 for people.

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Yes, it is your faith that saves you. There's no twisting or disagreement here. But your faith does not come from you, it comes from the grace and mercy of God. This faith is more precious than gold, because it comes from God. This faith will never waver and will never go away, because it comes from and is kept by God.

Don't believe me? Read what Paul, Peter, Jesus, and the writer of Hebrews said about our faith and about our salvation. Study it and take its meaning to heart because, everything I said is all there. Especially the Apostle Peter who said that we are a chosen possession and God's forever. Born of not corruptible seed, but incorruptible.

Yet, it's a frequent belief in Christianty that Eternal Security is a doctrine of the devil. Why? Because the Apostles talked about it and they're of the devil? That's essentially what they're saying. Its commonly taught that the basic idea of the reformed theology is from the Devil as well. Why? Because Paul is of the devil? Be careful what you're saying here. I didn't write these things, the Apostles did. The apostle Paul may have had a shady past but Christ said he was chosen by God and everything that comes from his mouth is true, even Peter said so. I'll say it again. We are saved by Grace through faith. This faith is not of ourselves but is a gift from God and that faith will last now and forever. Amen!
Salvation is an experience. Many do not experience it but have only a mental recogning of what they think it is and what it takes to obtain it.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[the part at the end that is an entirely separate and meaningful topic taken out below for some other discussion elsewhere]

Don't believe me? Read what Paul, Peter, Jesus, and the writer of Hebrews said about our faith and about our salvation. Study it and take its meaning to heart because, everything I said is all there. Especially the Apostle Peter who said that we are a chosen possession and God's forever. Born of not corruptible seed, but incorruptible. ...

[remainder removed as a different topic needing it's own response]

Perhaps for those lacking this understanding that we are saved by Grace alone -- only -- and that only through faith, alone, it might be they never read Ephesians fully through, so as to read all of chapter 2.

If a person reads verses 1-10, which are some of the most powerfully inspired words to help us understand available in all the epistles anywhere, it has an impact!

Verses 1-10 are so...amazing, powerful, good, that it is a great loss even to just read the famous verses 8-9 and miss out on the other 8 verses. So, while I celebrate the wonderful and often quoted verses 8-9, I have been trying for a good while to help point people to all the rest! :)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why do many Christians not understand that it is by God's grace that we are saved through our faith? Why do they [not-ed.] understand that our faith is not of our own doing but that it is a gift of God? Not by our works because our works are as righteous as filthy rags?
Why do they not understand that to accept this teaching does not make them robots nor does it nullify God's grace but instead enhances it a billion times fold?

Most likely it is because the churches which teach that it is by our own works that we may be saved have preached it to them relentlessly, ofttimes also including a misrepresentation of James' "faith without works" statement.

It certainly does not make more sense to believe that we, while we are in sin, have the ability to earn our salvation by our own efforts, than to believe that the "Savior" was sent to teach and to die for us because we are unable to save ourselves.

That's why I suggest that it is more likely that those who are convinced of "works righteousness" have simply had it drilled into them by some church.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's really listen to every wonderful verse--

1 As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins,

2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.

3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath.

4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.

6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7 in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus.

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Ephesians 2 NIV

Praise the Lord!

Only through Him, only by remaining/abiding on the vine, might we produce the fruit He has made us to produce --
Only through Christ, alone, The Vine, can we, the branches, produce --
John 15 NIV

Yet, it's a frequent belief in Christianty that Eternal Security is a doctrine of the devil. Why? Because the Apostles talked about it and they're of the devil? That's essentially what they're saying. Its commonly taught that the basic idea of the reformed theology is from the Devil as well. Why? Because Paul is of the devil? Be careful what you're saying here. I didn't write these things, the Apostles and Prophets did. The apostle Paul may have had a shady past but Christ said he was chosen by God and everything that comes from his mouth is true, even Peter said so. I'll say it again. We are saved by Grace through faith. This faith is not of ourselves but is a gift from God and that faith will last now and forever. Amen!

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,115.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yet, it's a frequent belief in Christianty that Eternal Security is a doctrine of the devil. Why?

OSAS is often misunderstood and presented as an argument to live as you wish. A lot of people think "I got saved, now I can live as I please and nothing can take away my eternal life" and proceed with their sinful lifestyle as if Jesus never existed.

Salvation is a process and not a 1-second-act. In Hebrews 3:14 it says "We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end".
If someone does not endure to the very end they have never come to share in Christ.

Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember someone once said, in an IT environment that some guy had 30 years experience and another guy (who did not respect the person they were talking about) said, yeah, but it was the same year, 30 times.

A young pastor friend of mine started working at a small church near me and had a revelation. He said there were members that had gone to that church faithfully their entire life, and were old retired people, and didn't know the difference between the old and new testaments. In fact, the ignorance at that church was so broad that after only a couple of months of trying to actually teach what they bible says, as opposed to the rambling weekly "turn or burn" message, he was fired by the elders. It was very sad, but something I came up against quite a bit when visiting a lot of small local churches - longtime church members with shocking ignorance of the actual message of the bible.

I think a lot of folks are "saved" and just leave it at that. And there is a reason I put that in quotes. There are a lot of folks here that go to church because they're scared of hell. And an appeal to FEAR is not the gospel message.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is not the lack of understanding. It is the lack of free will. Be blessed.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OSAS is often misunderstood and presented as an argument to live as you wish. A lot of people think "I got saved, now I can live as I please and nothing can take away my eternal life" and proceed with their sinful lifestyle as if Jesus never existed.

Salvation is a process and not a 1-second-act. In Hebrews 3:14 it says "We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end".
If someone does not endure to the very end they have never come to share in Christ.
God saves us by giving us faith that he saved us. Those who think you can lose your salvation can't have saving faith. They at best have hope and have never experienced salvation.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1 Thes 5
23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your entire spirit, soul, and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 The One who calls you is faithful, and He will do it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I’m not sure what you are trying to get across with Eph. 2:8

People use Eph 2:8 “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God” to show “faith” is a gift and forget about verse 9 which says: “not by works, so that no one can boast.” The gift cannot be grammatical correct and be “faith”, but you do not have to know Greek, just look at verse 9. If “faith” were the gift then Paul is telling us faith cannot be worked for and earned which is not logical or discussed as even an option anywhere else. How would people go about working to obtain faith anyway (it is to quit working, trying to do it yourself and start trusting). The “gift” in Eph. 2:8 is the whole salvation process which Paul talks about in other places, showing people trying to earn salvation.

I can look up genders and dust off my Greek New Testament, but here is what Barnes and Robertson have to say and they do an honest job as far as I can tell:

And that not of yourselves - That is, salvation does not proceed from yourselves. The word rendered "that" - ͂ touto - is in the neuter gender, and the word "faith" - ́ pistis - is in the feminine. The word "that," therefore, does not refer particularly to faith, as being the gift of God, but to "the salvation by grace" of which he had been speaking. This is the interpretation of the passage which is the most obvious, and which is now generally conceded to be the true one; see Bloomfield. Many critics, however, as Doddridge, Beza, Piscator, and Chrysostom, maintain that the word "that" ( ͂ touto ) refers to "faith" ( ́ pistis ); and Doddridge maintains that such a use is common in the New Testament. As a matter of grammar this opinion is certainly doubtful, if not untenable; but as a matter of theology it is a question of very little importance.

Robertson, on the topic of pronouns, wrote:

9. Gender and Number of outos. ... In general, like other adjectives, outos agrees with its substantive in gender and number, whether predicate or attributive. ... In Eph. 2:8 , ..., there is no reference to pisteos in touto, but rather to the idea of salvation in the clause before. (A. T. Robertson, A Grammar of the New Testament, p.704)

Robertson, on the topic of particles, wrote:

(ii) Kai. ... The Mere Connective ('And') ... kai tauta (frequent in ancient Greek). See in particular Eph. 2:8 , kai touto ouk ex umon, where touto refers to the whole conception, not to chariti. (A. T. Robertson, A Grammar of the New Testament, pp. 1181-1182)

Robertson, on the topic of prepositions, wrote:

(d) dia ... 3. 'Passing Between' or 'Through.' The idea of interval between leads naturally to that of passing between two objects or parts of objects. 'Through' is thus not the original meaning of dia, but is a very common one. ... The agent may also be expressed by dia. This function was also performed in the ancient Greek, through, when means or instrument was meant, the instrumental case was commonly employed. dia is thus used with inanimate and animate objects. Here, of course, the agent is conceived as coming in between the non-attainmnet and the attainment of the object in view. ... Abstract ideas are frequently so expressed, as sesosmenoi dia pisteos (Eph. 2:8 ), ... (A. T. Robertson, A Grammar of the New Testament, pp. 580-582)

"Gift" and "faith," are both nouns and would not need to agree. However, agreement in gender is necessary between a pronoun and its antecedent. The demonstrative pronoun will change its gender to match the previous noun (or other substantive) to which it refers.

This verse tells us that the antecedent for "This" is also the "gift of God." But the "gift" cannot be "faith" because there is no agreement in gender between "faith" and the demonstrative pronoun, "touto" (This).

You can look up lots of Greek scholars work and let me know if you find any one disagreeing with this, because I have not among scholars.

I do agree “natural faith” which all mature adults have is a gift from God and, as we know from scripture: people do place natural faith in lots of things and people even worshipping rocks and wood.

The question that needs to be asked: can this God given natural faith be directed toward the Creator, just to believe in the possibility of God’s existence? Since it takes more faith and really foolishness to believe a god does not exist.

You also need to remember the Greek word translated “Faith” in the English is also translated faithfulness. I would say one of the gifts of the Spirit is faithfulness and not faith itself.

You also seem to be assuming that if the nonbelieving sinner has just some kind of “faith”, he will make the noble, honorable, worthy, righteous and holy choice to follow God, but that type of “faith” comes much later and is part of the unbelievable wonderful gifts God showers on the sinner.

The “faith/trust”, autonomous free will choice the sinner makes is between: being macho, hanging in there, being a good soldier, and being willing to take the punishment you fully deserve or wimping out, giving up and surrendering to your enemy. Like any soldier who surrenders to his enemy, you hate your enemy, but are just willing to humbly accept undeserving charity from your enemy. That little questionable “trust” in the possibility of your enemy having an unbelievable Love that could help you is all the faith you need.

What do you consider to be man’s objective while here on earth, since the Bible has lots of “commands” to follow and any scripture given command has scriptural support for being “man’s objective”?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Paul also said in Galatian 5:4

“You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by the Law; you have fallen from grace.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5:4‬ ‭NASB2020‬‬

I’m confident that we can agree that Paul was not contradicting what He said in Ephesians 2 so we must reach a doctrine that doesn’t contradict either of these statements. So what’s your interpretation of Galatians 5:4?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Perhaps for those lacking this understanding that we are saved by Grace alone -- only -- and that only through faith, alone, it might be they never read Ephesians fully through, so as to read all of chapter 2.

If a person reads verses 1-10, which are some of the most powerfully inspired words to help us understand available in all the epistles anywhere, it has an impact!

Verses 1-10 are so...amazing, powerful, good, that it is a great loss even to just read the famous verses 8-9 and miss out on the other 8 verses. So, while I celebrate the wonderful and often quoted verses 8-9, I have been trying for a good while to help point people to all the rest! :)
"So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it."

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
God saves us by giving us faith that he saved us. Those who think you can lose your salvation can't have saving faith. They at best have hope and have never experienced salvation.
I think I agree with what you mean, but not quite what you said. I believe they may well be saved, as I was before God took me through what brought me to my current theology, and as many of my loved ones still are. They may well not understand the depth of the grace of God, and of their own depravity. Yet they are precious to him, just as we are.

One thing you may notice as I have is how many of them, when they pray, sound like they are Reformed. They DO depend on him, they DO need him, they DO love him. They just haven't realized their theology steals glory from God.

EDIT: I got distracted, as I do more than I like to admit, from my earlier point in answering your post here. Those who think they can lose their salvation don't KNOW how they have been saved. Their theology does not match the facts; they think their salvation depends on the integrity of THEIR decision --not God's decision. No wonder they think it can be lost! By their theology, even the way of keeping themselves in the faith is all on them!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

All throughout the Bible, God called for His people to repent and to return to obedience to His law, so God does not then hold contempt for those who do that by viewing our actions as filthy rags. In Isaiah 64:6, it is not God speaking, but rather it is the people complaining about how they thought God viewed their actions because he was not coming down and making his prescience known. However, the reality is that the righteous deeds of the saints are like fine white linen (Revelation 19:8).

In Romans 6:19-23, we are no longer to present ourselves as slaves to impurity, lawlessness, and sin, but are now to present ourselves as slaves to God and to righteousness leading to sanctification, and the goal of sanctification is eternal life in Christ, which is the gift of God, so obedience to the Mosaic Law is itself part of the content of God's gift of salvation. In Psalms 119:29, David wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey the Mosaic Law, in Romans 1:5, we have received grace in order to bring about the obedience of faith, and in Titus 2:11-14, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, which is what the Mosaic Law was given to instruct how to do. So God graciously teaching us to obey the Mosaic Law is again part of the content of His gift of salvation, and participating in that training through faith does nothing to earn it, but rather that is what it looks like to receive it. Our salvation is from sin and sin is the transgression of the Mosaic Law (1 John 3:4), so being trained by grace to live in obedience to the Mosaic Law through faith is what it looks like to receive the gift of Jesus saving us from living in transgression of the Mosaic Law. Furthermore, in Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is what it looks like to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20).

In Ephesians 2:8, the gender of the of the word for "faith" is feminine while the gender of the pronoun "this" is neuter, but it would need to also be feminine in order to refer to "faith", rather the pronoun "this" refers to the whole preceding clause of salvation by grace through faith, which the gift of God that is not our own doing. In Ephesians 2:8-10, we have been made new creations in Christ in order to do good works, so while we do not earn our salvation by our works, choosing to doing good works through faith is nevertheless inherently part of our salvation from not doing good works.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

One thing I have noticed, that is almost impossible to root out, strangely enough, if the same thing that makes an Arminian doubt his own salvation.

(I myself when I was still in high school, often couldn't sleep until past midnight, because I KNEW my life did not match the definitions of 'Redeemed' and was worried I'd be left behind at the rapture. (Yes, I know, midnight is of no special significance in the matter, but....). The fact that my choices lacked steadfastness and my obedience was silly was constantly on my mind. I tried to reason that it was God who made my decision real, but that was not much comfort. Eventually, I came to see that God's choice of the Elect is according to his own counsel, and therefore logically, my salvation was according to his will --not mine. I already knew that the judge of the whole earth would do what was right, so I began to take pleasure in the beauty of his work.)

The person who "has been saved" in most churches of my acquaintance have been taught that it is by their choice --their accepting of Christ-- that they are saved, and when they are told different, their whole structure is in question, and that they take for an attack on their faith.

Add to that, the fact that they have often been fed a caricature of Calvinism --that of a teaching that people are without choice-- and their antipathy is complete. They will not likely listen, until they despair of anything resembling the holiness they so badly desire.

Reactions: Jipsah
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Most likely it is because the churches which teach that it is by our own works that we may be saved have preached it to them relentlessly, ofttimes also including a misrepresentation of James' "faith without works" statement.

It certainly does not make more sense to believe that we, while we are in sin, have the ability to earn our salvation by our own efforts, than to believe that the "Savior" was sent to teach and to die for us because we are unable to save ourselves.

That's why I suggest that it is more likely that those who are convinced of "works righteousness" have simply had it drilled into them by some church.

While it is true that Abraham believed God, so he was justified, it is also true that he believed God, so he obeyed God's command to offer Isaac, however, he did not earn his justification by his obedience, but rather the same faith by which he was justified was also expressed as obedience. In James 2:21-22, it says that Abraham was justified by his works, that his faith was active along with his works, and that his faith completed his works, so Abraham was justified by his works only insofar as his works were an expression of his faith, but not insofar as his works were an attempt to earn his justification, especially because Paul denied that our justification is something that can be earned by our works (Romans 4:4-5).

What we believe is expressed through our actions, which is why James 2:17-18 says that faith without works is dead and that he would show his faith by his works, so doing good works in obedience to God is what faith looks like. Obedience to any set of instructions that are for our own good is about putting our faith in the one who gave them to rightly guide us, which is why Jesus said in Matthew 23:23 that faith is one of the weightier matter of the Mosaic Law. In John 3:36, believing in Jesus is equated with obeying him. Revelation 14:12, those who kept faith in Jesus are the same as those who kept God's commandments. In Hebrews 11, every example of faith is also an example of obedience to God's will. In John 6:40, those who believe in Jesus will have eternal life, in John 17:7, eternal life is knowing God and Jesus, and in Matthew 19:17, the way to enter eternal life is by obeying the commandments, so obedience God's commandments is what it looks like to believe in Jesus and to know him. In Habakkuk 2:4, the righteous shall live by faith, and in Isaiah 51:7, the righteous are those on whose heart is the Mosaic Law, so the righteous living by faith is never treated as an alternative to living in obedience to the Mosaic Law. Only those who have faith in God to guide us in how to rightly live will obey the Mosaic Law and will be justified by the same faith, which is why Paul said in Romans 2:13 that only doers of the Mosaic Law will be justified while denying that we earn our justification by being doers of the Mosaic Law.

So obedience to the Mosaic Law is required for salvation, bit only insofar as it is an expression of faith in Christ, but not insofar as it is an attempt to earn our salvation. In Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so the Mosaic Law is God's instructions for how to know Christ, and knowing Christ is a requirement for salvation.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I got distracted, as I do more than I like to admit, from my earlier point in answering your post here. Those who think they can lose their salvation don't KNOW how they have been saved. Their theology does not match the facts; they think their salvation depends on the integrity of THEIR decision --not God's decision. No wonder they think it can be lost! By their theology, even the way of keeping themselves in the faith is all on them!

I will copy that and paste it in an edit to my earlier answer.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Paul also said in Galatian 5:4

“You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by the Law; you have fallen from grace.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5:4‬ ‭NASB2020‬‬

I’m confident that we can agree that Paul was not contradicting what He said in Ephesians 2 so we must reach a doctrine that doesn’t contradict either of these statements. So what’s your interpretation of Galatians 5:4?

All throughout the Bible, God wanted His people to repent and to return to obedience to the Mosaic Law, and even Christ began his ministry with that message, so it would be absurd to interpret Galatians 5:4 as Paul warning us against doing that and saying that we will be cut off from Christ if we follow Christ. In Psalms 119:29, David wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey the Mosaic Law, so that is what being under grace looks like, not the way to fall from grace. It would again be absurd to interpret that as saying David wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him how to fall from grace. Paul's problem in Galatians was not with those who were teaching Gentiles how to obey the Mosaic Law as if following Christ was somehow a negative thing, but rather his problem was with those who were teaching Gentiles that they needed to obey their works of the law in order to become justified.

Likewise, in Romans 1:5, we have received grace in order to bring about the obedience of faith, and in Titus 2:11-14, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, which is what the Mosaic Law was given to teach us how to do, so God graciously teaching us to obey the Mosaic Law is itself part of the content of His free gift of salvation and participating in that training does nothing to earn it, but rather that is what it looks like to receive it. In Ephesians 2:8-10, we have been made new creations in Christ in order to do good works, so while we do not earn our salvation by doing good works, doing good works in obedience to God though faith is nevertheless an integral part of our salvation from not doing good works.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So obedience to the Mosaic Law is required for salvation,
No, it's not. If it were, no one would be saved.

In Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so the Mosaic Law is God's instructions for how to know Christ, and knowing Christ is a requirement for salvation.
Yes, but the kind of person you are referring to, and which is described in that verse, appears certainly not to have saving faith, or else he would not be a devotee of evil.

• Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0