Why do many Christians eat pork when God says it's unclean?

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Galatians 5:3
Again I testify to every man who gets himself circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole Law.

In other words if you insist on following one aspect of the ceremonial part of the Mosaic Law then you must abide by all aspects of that Law such as regular animal sacrifices for sins committed, celebrating of the Passover, construction of a tabernacle with all its paraphernalia where such sacrifices are to be offered, considering yourself unclean for a certain period of time if you happen to touch a dead body or a menstruating woman, fleeing to a city of refuge if you accidentally kill someone, stoning people to death for certain crimes, applying the eye for eye and tooth for tooth rule, tithing, creation of a high priesthood with Aron's descendants and all others from the tribe of Levi, and all other such meticulous details.

Otherwise you will be deemed to be insincere.

Upvote 0

Hethatreadethit

ClintR
Site Supporter
Dec 7, 2016
Foristell Mo.
✟118,834.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus was having a conversation about a man-made ritual purity law that said that you could become defiled by eating kosher food with unwashed hands, so he was simply countering that position, the his statement at the end of the parallel account in Matthew 15:20 shows that he was still speaking against becoming defiled by eating with unwashed hands and never switch topics to countermanding God.

In Matthew 15:2-3, Jesus was asked why his disciples broke the traditions of the elders and he responded by asking them why they broke the command of God for the sake of their tradition (Deuteronomy 4:2). He went on to say that for the sake of their tradition they made void the Word of God (Matthew 15:6), that they worshipped God in vain because they taught as doctrines the commands of men (Matthew 15:8-9), and that they were hypocrites for setting aside the commands of God for the sake of their tradition, so it would have been extremely hypocritical for him to turn around and make void the Word of God just a few verses later, especially considering that he is the Word of God made flesh, so would be making himself void and sinning in violation of Deuteronomy 4:2 and Deuteronomy 13:4-5. They wouldn't have needed to find false witnesses at his trial, but this incident was never even brought up, and no one even seemed to have noticed that he made such an utterly radical statement as try to countermand the God of the universe. It is far, far more reasonable to interpret him as simply sticking the topic of conversation.

God has said that it is an abomination for His people to eat unclean animals, so people who are doing that need to repent.

Hi: Good Sabbath to you:
Are you familiar with these scriptures from Acts:

Peter's Vision
Act 10:9 On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
Act 10:10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
Act 10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
Act 10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
Act 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
Act 10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
Act 10:15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
Act 10:16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.
Act 10:17 Now while Peter doubted in himself what this vision which he had seen should mean, behold, the men which were sent from Cornelius had made enquiry for Simon's house, and stood before the gate,
Act 10:18 And called, and asked whether Simon, which was surnamed Peter, were lodged there.
Act 10:19 While Peter thought on the vision, the Spirit said unto him, Behold, three men seek thee.
Act 10:20 Arise therefore, and get thee down, and go with them, doubting nothing: for I have sent them.
Act 10:21 Then Peter went down to the men which were sent unto him from Cornelius; and said, Behold, I am he whom ye seek: what is the cause wherefore ye are come?
Act 10:22 And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.
Act 10:23 Then called he them in, and lodged them. And on the morrow Peter went away with them, and certain brethren from Joppa accompanied him.
Act 10:24 And the morrow after they entered into Caesarea. And Cornelius waited for them, and had called together his kinsmen and near friends.
Act 10:25 And as Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him, and fell down at his feet, and worshipped him.
Act 10:26 But Peter took him up, saying, Stand up; I myself also am a man.
Act 10:27 And as he talked with him, he went in, and found many that were come together.
Act 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.
Act 10:29 Therefore came I unto you without gainsaying, as soon as I was sent for: I ask therefore for what intent ye have sent for me?
Act 10:30 And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing,
Act 10:31 And said, Cornelius, thy prayer is heard, and thine alms are had in remembrance in the sight of God.
Act 10:32 Send therefore to Joppa, and call hither Simon, whose surname is Peter; he is lodged in the house of one Simon a tanner by the sea side: who, when he cometh, shall speak unto thee.
Act 10:33 Immediately therefore I sent to thee; and thou hast well done that thou art come. Now therefore are we all here present before God, to hear all things that are commanded thee of God.
Gentiles Hear the Good News
Act 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
Act 10:35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

Act 10:36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

After Christ died, the world was crucified with Him, a level playing field was brought forth. This does not mean that the wisdom of the food laws was discarded as which appears to have happen to the entire Torah. Christ is the Word of God and He is the Lord:

Mal 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

The Church has the right to decide what laws to bind and to dis-annul. They choose certain laws to place on Gentile believers:

Act 15:13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:
Act 15:14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
Act 15:15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
Act 15:16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
Act 15:17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.
Act 15:18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
Act 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
Act 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Act 15:21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

These were decisions then, but today in these times, there could be new determinations made.

Sincerely
Hethatreadethit

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
God bless!

BTW
Many things that you claim that I said I didn't say.

Note sure where I made claims about what you said that you didn't but I appologize for my mistake.

Galatians 5:3
Again I testify to every man who gets himself circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole Law.

In other words if you insist on following one aspect of the ceremonial part of the Mosaic Law then you must abide by all aspects of that Law such as regular animal sacrifices for sins committed, celebrating of the Passover, construction of a tabernacle with all its paraphernalia where such sacrifices are to be offered, considering yourself unclean for a certain period of time if you happen to touch a dead body or a menstruating woman, fleeing to a city of refuge if you accidentally kill someone, stoning people to death for certain crimes, applying the eye for eye and tooth for tooth rule, tithing, creation of a high priesthood with Aron's descendants and all others from the tribe of Levi, and all other such meticulous details.

Otherwise you will be deemed to be insincere.

In Isaiah 45:25, it says that all Israel will be saved, so a number of Jews mistakenly thought that meant that Gentiles had to become Jewish proselytes in order to become saved, which meant becoming circumcised, and which also meant becoming part of the group of people who agreed at Sinai to do everything Moses said (Exodus 20:19, Deuteronomy 5:22-27). Moses had the authority to make interpretations of the Law and by the 1st century those who had this authority passed down to them were referred to as sitting in Moses' seat and it had become a large body of Jewish oral laws, rulings, traditions, and fences, which Jesus referred to as placing a heavy burden on the people (Matthew 23:2-4). He certainly was not criticizing the Pharisees for teaching the people to do what God had commanded them to do.

Much of the discussion about laws in the NT in in regard to the role of these oral laws, for example, in Matthew 15:2-3, Jesus was asked why his disciples broke the tradition of the elders and he responded by asking them why they broke the command of God for the sake of their tradition. God's law does not say that we will become common by eating with common hands. Jesus went on to say that for the sake of their tradition they made void the Word of God (Matthew 15:6), that they worshiped God in vain because they taught as doctrines the commands of men (Matthew 15:8-9), that that they were hypocrites for setting aside the commands of God for the sake of their tradition (Mark 7:6-9), so the role of these oral laws was a major source of conflict between Jesus and the Pharisees, which continued between the followers of Jesus and the Pharisees, which came to a head in Act 15 and Galatians. So by becoming circumcised, Gentiles were becoming Jewish proselytes and obligating themselves to live as a Jew according all of their oral laws, and doing so in order to become saved. This is what Paul was referring to as the whole law in Galatians 5:2-5 and why trying to become justified by obeying man-made laws would would cut them off from Christ.

We can know that what was being discussed in Acts 15:1 was a Jews oral law because the requirement for all Gentiles to become circumcised in order to become saved isn't found anywhere in God's Law. God's Law does not even require Jews to become circumcised in order to become saved, though it did require circumcision for a different purpose. In Acts 10:28, it likewise refers to a law that forbade Jews from visiting or associating with Gentiles, which is the law that Peter was obeying in Galatians 2:11-15 when he stopped visiting or associating with Gentiles, and which is again a man-made law that isn't found anywhere in God's Law. So if people do not correctly identify which law is being talked about, then they will not correctly understand what is being said and will come away with wrong interpretations such as that following Christ's example of obedience to the Law that he set for his followers to follow will cut us off from Christ.

However, even if I were wrong about Galatians 5:2-5 referring to Jewish oral laws rather than to God's Law, then it still wouldn't follow that because we shouldn't obey God's Law for the purpose of becoming justified that therefore we shouldn't obey God's Law for some other purposes, especially considering that God's Law was never given for the purpose of providing the means of becoming justified through our own effort in the first place.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hi: Good Sabbath to you:
Are you familiar with these scriptures from Acts:

Peter's Vision
Act 10:9 On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
Act 10:10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
Act 10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
Act 10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
Act 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
Act 10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
Act 10:15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
Act 10:16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.
Act 10:17 Now while Peter doubted in himself what this vision which he had seen should mean, behold, the men which were sent from Cornelius had made enquiry for Simon's house, and stood before the gate,
Act 10:18 And called, and asked whether Simon, which was surnamed Peter, were lodged there.
Act 10:19 While Peter thought on the vision, the Spirit said unto him, Behold, three men seek thee.
Act 10:20 Arise therefore, and get thee down, and go with them, doubting nothing: for I have sent them.
Act 10:21 Then Peter went down to the men which were sent unto him from Cornelius; and said, Behold, I am he whom ye seek: what is the cause wherefore ye are come?
Act 10:22 And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.
Act 10:23 Then called he them in, and lodged them. And on the morrow Peter went away with them, and certain brethren from Joppa accompanied him.
Act 10:24 And the morrow after they entered into Caesarea. And Cornelius waited for them, and had called together his kinsmen and near friends.
Act 10:25 And as Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him, and fell down at his feet, and worshipped him.
Act 10:26 But Peter took him up, saying, Stand up; I myself also am a man.
Act 10:27 And as he talked with him, he went in, and found many that were come together.
Act 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.
Act 10:29 Therefore came I unto you without gainsaying, as soon as I was sent for: I ask therefore for what intent ye have sent for me?
Act 10:30 And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing,
Act 10:31 And said, Cornelius, thy prayer is heard, and thine alms are had in remembrance in the sight of God.
Act 10:32 Send therefore to Joppa, and call hither Simon, whose surname is Peter; he is lodged in the house of one Simon a tanner by the sea side: who, when he cometh, shall speak unto thee.
Act 10:33 Immediately therefore I sent to thee; and thou hast well done that thou art come. Now therefore are we all here present before God, to hear all things that are commanded thee of God.
Gentiles Hear the Good News
Act 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
Act 10:35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

Act 10:36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

After Christ died, the world was crucified with Him, a level playing field was brought forth. This does not mean that the wisdom of the food laws was discarded as which appears to have happen to the entire Torah. Christ is the Word of God and He is the Lord:

Mal 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

The Church has the right to decide what laws to bind and to dis-annul. They choose certain laws to place on Gentile believers:

Act 15:13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:
Act 15:14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
Act 15:15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
Act 15:16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
Act 15:17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.
Act 15:18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
Act 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
Act 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Act 15:21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

These were decisions then, but today in these times, there could be new determinations made.

Sincerely
Hethatreadethit

Good Sabbath to you as well. :)

Scripture does not use the words "common" and "unclean' interchangeably, so the key to understanding Peter's vision correctly understanding why he used both words and why God only corrected his use of the word "common", but not his use of the word "unclean". Many people go against the plain reading of the text by reinterpreting his vision as though God had only corrected his use of the word "unclean" in spite of the fact that Peter gave the interpretation of his vision three times without saying anything about unclean animals. It is likewise important to understand that the law that was referred to in Acts 10:28 that forbade Jews from visiting or associating with Gentiles is not a law that is found anywhere in God's Law, so it is therefore a man-made law, which is the same law that Peter was obeying in Galatians 2:11-15 when he stopped visiting or associating with Gentiles. Much of what is said in the NT is in regard to man-made laws, so if we don't differentiate between what is said about man-made laws and God's Law, then we will not correctly understand much of the NT.

If God said to do one thing and the Jerusalem Council said that we don't have to obey what God commanded, then you will need to decide whether God or the Jerusalem Council had greater authority and which one to follow. I believe that the Jerusalem Council had not been given more authority than God, so they had no authority to countermand Him or to tell anyone not to obey any of His commands, nor did they attempt to do so, nor should be follow them instead of God if they had attempted to do so. According to Deuteronomy 4:2, it is a sin to add to or subtract from God's Law, so having the authority to bind and loose did not allow anyone to transgress this command, but rather it only gave the authority to make interpretations as to how to correctly obey God's Law. The Pharisees giving more authority to their own laws than to God's Law was a major source of conflict between them and Jesus (Mark 7:6-9).

In Acts 15:19-21, that stated goal was to not make things too difficult for new believers coming to faith, so this was a list meant for new believers, not an exhaustive list of everything that would be required of mature believers. In verse 21, the expectation was that Gentiles would continue to learn how to serve God and to walk in His ways by hearing Moses taught every Sabbath in the synagogues.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Hethatreadethit

ClintR
Site Supporter
Dec 7, 2016
Foristell Mo.
✟118,834.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good Sabbath to you as well. :)

Scripture does not use the words "common" and "unclean' interchangeably, so the key to understanding Peter's vision correctly understanding why he used both words and why God only corrected his use of the word "common", but not his use of the word "unclean". Many people go against the plain reading of the text by reinterpreting his vision as though God had only corrected his use of the word "unclean" in spite of the fact that Peter gave the interpretation of his vision three times without saying anything about unclean animals. It is likewise important to understand that the law that was referred to in Acts 10:28 that forbade Jews from visiting or associating with Gentiles is not a law that is found anywhere in God's Law, so it is therefore a man-made law, which is the same law that Peter was obeying in Galatians 2:11-15 when he stopped visiting or associating with Gentiles. Much of what is said in the NT is in regard to man-made laws, so if we don't differentiate between what is said about man-made laws and God's Law, then we will not correctly understand much of the NT.

If God said to do one thing and the Jerusalem Council said that we don't have to obey what God commanded, then you will need to decide whether God or the Jerusalem Council had greater authority and which one to follow. I believe that the Jerusalem Council had not been given more authority than God, so they had no authority to countermand Him or to tell anyone not to obey any of His commands, nor did they attempt to do so, nor should be follow them instead of God if they had attempted to do so. According to Deuteronomy 4:2, it is a sin to add to or subtract from God's Law, so having the authority to bind and loose did not allow anyone to transgress this command, but rather it only gave the authority to make interpretations as to how to correctly obey God's Law. The Pharisees giving more authority to their own laws than to God's Law was a major source of conflict between them and Jesus (Mark 7:6-9).

In Acts 15:19-21, that stated goal was to not make things too difficult for new believers coming to faith, so this was a list meant for new believers, not an exhaustive list of everything that would be required of mature believers. In verse 21, the expectation was that Gentiles would continue to learn how to serve God and to walk in His ways by hearing Moses taught every Sabbath in the synagogues.

"If God said to do one thing and the Jerusalem Council said that we don't have to obey what God commanded, then you will need to decide whether God or the Jerusalem Council had greater authority and which one to follow. I believe that the Jerusalem Council had not been given more authority than God, so they had no authority to countermand Him or to tell anyone not to obey any of His commands, nor did they attempt to do so, nor should be 'follow them instead of God if they had attempted to do so"

This is you quote; but this you neglect to Note:

Mat 18:18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Mat 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Peter was given the keys and power to make decisions along with the church.

Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

No man can be considered common or unclean of himself. Consider Sodom and Gomorrah where only Lot and part of His family was saved.

Sincerely
Hethatreadethit

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Why did Yeshua Himself affirm the eternal nature of the Torah (Matthew 5:17-19) if God was just going to nullify several parts of it a few years later? And after Yeshua’s Second Coming, why does God declare pigs unclean again after He allegedly made them clean at the cross? (Isaiah 66:17)

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
"If God said to do one thing and the Jerusalem Council said that we don't have to obey what God commanded, then you will need to decide whether God or the Jerusalem Council had greater authority and which one to follow. I believe that the Jerusalem Council had not been given more authority than God, so they had no authority to countermand Him or to tell anyone not to obey any of His commands, nor did they attempt to do so, nor should be 'follow them instead of God if they had attempted to do so"

This is you quote; but this you neglect to Note:

Mat 18:18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Mat 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Peter was given the keys and power to make decisions along with the church.

Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

No man can be considered common or unclean of himself. Consider Sodom and Gomorrah where only Lot and part of His family was saved.

Sincerely
Hethatreadethit
Those keys are never to be used against His Word, His Will, or His Way.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why did Yeshua Himself affirm the eternal nature of the Torah (Matthew 5:17-19) if God was just going to nullify several parts of it a few years later? And after Yeshua’s Second Coming, why does God declare pigs unclean again after He allegedly made them clean at the cross? (Isaiah 66:17)
As with so many other questions about the Bible, we either accept it as inspired by God...or we don't. That's what makes some people Christian and others members of some other religion.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nonsense. This is reading assumptions and presuppositions into the text.
Anybody can make the Bible say almost anything they want it to by quoting selective verses out-of-context. So let's look at your one verse in-context.

Acts of the apostles 15:1 And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said,
Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.
Acts of the apostles 15:2 When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them,
Why would Paul dissent and dispute with the men from Judea about gentiles being circumcised if he was going to tell gentiles later that they had to study Torah in the synagogues?
Acts of the apostles 15:5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.
Acts of the apostles 15:10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
Is Paul going to say that circumcision and keeping the law was a yoke that even the Jews could not bear then later tell gentile Christians to go to synagogues and learn Torah, and keep the law?
Acts of the apostles 15:19-21
19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.
This is the first of three times the four, and only four, requirements for gentiles are given. No command to attend synagogues.
This verse is saying only the gentiles have to be given special instructions because the Jews don't need it they already have Moses being preached in the synagogues every Sabbath.

Acts of the apostles 15:24
24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:
Paul and the others gave no such command i.e. be circumcised and keep the law. No command for gentiles to go to synagogues.
Acts of the apostles 15:28-29
28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
The second time the four, and only four, requirements are given to the gentiles. No command to go to synagogues.
Acts of the apostles 21:24-25
24 Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law.
25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, [keep the law vs. 25] save ONLY that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.
The third time when the four, and only four, requirements are given to the gentiles. And again Paul says they gave no such command for gentiles to keep the law and no command to go to synagogues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The language of the Eastern Greek Orthodox church is now and has always been Greek. Who better than the native Greek speaking scholars who translated the Eastern Orthodox Bible know the correct translation of καθαριζον/katharizon?
Mark 7:18 Do you not perceive that whatever goes into someone from the outside cannot defile that person 19 "because it does not go into his heart but into the stomach, and then into the sewer (thus he declared all foods to be clean [καθαριζον/katharizon])
Romans 14:14
14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pork isn't food.
If/when the gospels went to former pagan gentiles when they heard Mark 7:19 would they instinctively think "Oh that does not include pork?"
Did the 4 requirements for gentiles in Acts 15 and 21 include "Abstain from eating pork?"

Acts of the apostles 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Acts of the apostles 15:24
24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:
Acts of the apostles 21:24-25
24 Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law.
25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, [keep the law vs. 24] save ONLY that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Pork isn't food.

It was in Noah's day, and is again for Christians:

Gen 9:1 And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.
Gen 9:2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.
Gen 9:3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

Act 11:7 And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat.
Act 11:8 But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.
Act 11:9 But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

• Winner
Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe as a few others have said. It's not a salvation issue but a health issue. Pigs still to this day not have sweat glands and shellfish are still bottom feeders.

Our bodies today are so used to consuming them from at an early age, we've adjusted. But I still think we are supposed to not partake for health reasons.

Peter never ate from the sheet that was brought down 3 times and he saw through the sybolism of it that we should not call any man unclean.

Christ came to fufill the law, not change it. And he fulfilled it when he became our passover and sabbath doing away with the blood ordiances.

But even after Christ had passed and risen, Peter wasn't eating unclean animals.

As for this verse,

I Timothy 4:3 "Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth."

You have to take notice of the words, "which God hath created to be received". Meaning there are meats that God created to not be received.

But anyway, we will all continue to have differing opinions on this and again, it's not a salvation issue.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

TLSITD

Conservative Christian
Apr 26, 2020
Tennessee
✟22,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I understand that we are saved because of Jesus, and that it doesn't matter what type of food we put in our mouths, we are still saved... However, God says in the old testament that the pig is unclean and that we shouldn't eat it.

1 "The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, 2 “Say to the Israelites: ‘Of all the animals that live on land, these are the ones you may eat: 3 You may eat any animal that has a divided hoof and that chews the cud. 7 And the pig, because it parts the hoof and is cloven-footed but does not chew the cud, is unclean to you. 8 You shall not eat any of their flesh, and you shall not touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you.
-Leviticus 11​

16 For by fire will the Lord enter into judgment, and by his sword, with all flesh;
and those slain by the Lord shall be many.
17 “Those who sanctify and purify themselves to go into the gardens, following one in the midst, eating pig’s flesh and the abomination and mice, shall come to an end together, declares the Lord. – Isaiah 66
Not only that, but even the World Health Organization has now said that pork is a carcinogen... and there is plenty of information online about how pork is commonly contaminated with pathogenic bacteria (here's a good article) ...

So.... why do many Christians eat pork when God said it is unclean?

Update: after reading some wonderful and informative responses, I think my question really has to do with what "unclean" means. I was thinking it meant "not clean" and bad for health, and that God wanted his people to be healthy by not eating pigs and other animals that were bad for a persons health. This understanding of the word "unclean" may be incorrect. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter. :)

It's not unclean except to the conscience of the man who thinks it is.

Jesus declared all foods (ceremonially) clean. Christians aren't under the law of Moses.

The Bible says that the persuasion to abstain from certain foods for spiritual reasons comes from demons.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Gen 9:3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

Have you ever investigated what this word literally means?: רמש

Act 11:7 And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat.
Act 11:8 But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.
Act 11:9 But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

Peter's Vision

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's not unclean except to the conscience of the man who thinks it is.

Jesus declared all foods (ceremonially) clean. Christians aren't under the law of Moses.

The Bible says that the persuasion to abstain from certain foods for spiritual reasons comes from demons.
Is Leviticus 11 from demons?

Upvote 0

TLSITD

Conservative Christian
Apr 26, 2020
Tennessee
✟22,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Is Leviticus 11 from demons?
Any persuasion for Christians to adhere to Levitical dietary laws given to Jews under the old covenant is coming from demons. Just because it is in the Bible, that doesn't mean it is for Christians to keep. Demons can use the Scriptures too, and people deceived by them use the Bible to teach all manner of heresy and nonsense.

Upvote 0