Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
In human culture, that is OK, or even good.
In the view of survival, that is very very bad.
Humans are in human cultures... so removing human culture from survival isn't sensible.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It is shameful for a man to have long hair (especially a husband)

My hair is longer than my father's, my father is bald. Right now it's about an inch long, give or take. Should I be ashamed now, or do I need to wait another month to be ashamed. If I shave my hair off and it starts to grow back into peach fuzz, should I be ashamed then?

I'm a bit fuzzy on this. When exactly should I be ashamed, like what is the official God-approved hair length. My Bible doesn't contain any detailed descriptions for divinely inspired fashions, but perhaps yours does, in which case you could help enlighten some of us.

-CryptoLutheran

• Haha
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My hair is longer than my father's, my father is bald. Right now it's about an inch long, give or take.

Follow the theme of this thread, which is science related, what you said is not correct. Both you and your father did not try to grow a maximum length of your hair. Even your father became bald at later time, the hair left on his head probably still can grow very long.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
My hair is longer than my father's, my father is bald. Right now it's about an inch long, give or take. Should I be ashamed now, or do I need to wait another month to be ashamed. If I shave my hair off and it starts to grow back into peach fuzz, should I be ashamed then?

I'm a bit fuzzy on this. When exactly should I be ashamed, like what is the official God-approved hair length. My Bible doesn't contain any detailed descriptions for divinely inspired fashions, but perhaps yours does, in which case you could help enlighten some of us.

-CryptoLutheran
I believe it is when a man's hair length grows past his shoulders

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
Run away after the first round?
If you ask me a reasonable question in an intelligible way, I'll try to answer it.

But frankly, from your posts, you need to get some general background understanding of the concepts. If you understand the principles, you can work it out for yourself, it really isn't that difficult.

For example, if some aspect of mate selection has a genetic component (i.e. is heritable), then it is likely to have an associated selection pressure, because the couples that are most reproductively successful will provide a greater contribution of their version of that trait to the next generation, and so-on.

This kind of selection is likely to be an extension of the mechanisms by which species identify mating partners of their own kind, i.e. successful species will be able to identify mates of their own kind and there will be an advantage in preferentially selecting the most reproductively fit. So arbitrary 'virtue signals' of reproductive fitness will tend to become established and exaggerated until their disadvantages reach an equilibrium with their reproductive fitness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If you ask me a reasonable question in an intelligible way, I'll try to answer it.

But frankly, from your posts, you need to get some general background understanding of the concepts. If you understand the principles, you can work it out for yourself, it really isn't that difficult.

For example, if some aspect of mate selection has a genetic component (i.e. is heritable), then it is likely to have an associated selection pressure, because the couples that are most reproductively successful will provide a greater contribution of their version of that trait to the next generation, and so-on.

This kind of selection is likely to be an extension of the mechanisms by which species identify mating partners of their own kind, i.e. successful species will be able to identify mates of their own kind and there will be an advantage in preferentially selecting the most reproductively fit. So arbitrary 'virtue signals' of reproductive fitness will tend to become established and exaggerated until their disadvantages reach an equilibrium with their reproductive fitness.

Fine. The issue is whether long hair gives "human" (not male or female) advantage of survival? Long hair of some male or some female may have some **internal** advantage of reproduction (i.e. the competition). But this is not related to the survival of human being which, according to evolution, is critically affected by external conditions. The long hair feature should give human advantage to deal with the external threats. The natural selection addresses the external condition of a life form. It does not care about the mechanism the life form uses to reproduce it population.

So, the sexual selection has nothing to do with the natural selection.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
Fine. The issue is whether long hair gives "human" (not male or female) advantage of survival?
No; as I said, the key factor is always reproductive fitness success, i.e. the relative number of viable offspring produced.

Long hair of some male or some female may have some **internal** advantage of reproduction (i.e. the competition). But this is not related to the survival of human being which, according to evolution, is critically affected by external conditions. The long hair feature should give human advantage to deal with the external threats. The natural selection addresses the external condition of a life form. It does not care about the mechanism the life form uses to reproduce it population.
No; sexually selected traits can (in themselves) actually be disadvantageous to individual survival as long as they lead to an overall advantage in reproductive success. Consequently, more extreme sexually selected traits will tend to be associated with greater overall fitness, as only the fittest individuals can successfully support extreme trait presentations.

This is why sexually selected traits can be a form of 'virtue signalling', indicating overall fitness.

So, the sexual selection has nothing to do with the natural selection.
Of course it's natural selection; it's just another form of competition for resources, in this case, reproductive resources. In evolution, the environment includes everything that may be relevant to reproductive success, including other members of the population and their interactions.

You need to get some general background understanding of the relevant concepts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No; as I said, the key factor is always reproductive fitness success, i.e. the relative number of viable offspring produced.

No; sexually selected traits can (in themselves) actually be disadvantageous to individual survival as long as they lead to an overall advantage in reproductive success. Consequently, more extreme sexually selected traits will tend to be associated with greater overall fitness, as only the fittest individuals can successfully support extreme trait presentations.

This is why sexually selected traits can be a form of 'virtue signalling', indicating overall fitness.

Of course it's natural selection; it's just another form of competition for resources, in this case, reproductive resources. In evolution, the environment includes everything that may be relevant to reproductive success, including other members of the population and their interactions.

You need to get some general background understanding of the relevant concepts.

One question to clear up:
Should the concept of natural selection only be applied to the selection process among different species?

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟924,297.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Should the concept of natural selection only be applied to the selection process among different species?
No. It's about how likely they are to have descendants. It doesn't matter if that's because they are more likely to have many offspring because they are very attractive or more likely to survive hardship because they are individually powerful, the it's overall success that matters.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
No. As I said previously, it applies to anything that affects reproductive success.

E.T.A. Oops, gazumped by Shemjazza. I really ought to read ahead...

• Agree
Reactions: Shemjaza
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No. As I said previously, it applies to anything that affects reproductive success.

E.T.A. Oops, gazumped by Shemjazza. I really ought to read ahead...

OK. I have a different understand about this term.

Now I like to read a few links or references (at a professional level, not something like wiki-, high school biology textbook would be fine) about the domain of natural selection. Does it refer to the survivorship of individual life or that of a species.

Until then, I insist that sexual selection (about an individual) is not related to natural selection (about a species)

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
OK. I have a different understand about this term.

Now I like to read a few links or references (at a professional level, not something like wiki-, high school biology textbook would be fine) about the domain of natural selection. Does it refer to the survivorship of individual life or that of a species.
I recommend you start with a basic course in evolution before looking at professional-level papers (which will be way beyond high school biology!). You need to understand the broad biological and evolutionary context and jargon before you can correctly interpret advanced studies.

Until then, I insist that sexual selection (about an individual) is not related to natural selection (about a species)
Lol! You can insist whatever you like, it doesn't change anything. You'll find that some sources prefer to treat sexual selection separately because it's based on an indirect fitness indicator, but that's just a matter of preference.

Natural selection happens to individuals - as the original definition I gave you makes clear. The multi-generational consequence of natural selection on the individuals of a population is evolution, and potential speciation. So natural selection happens to individuals, evolution happens to populations.

The words are just descriptive labels for the processes of evolution. The processes are what matter, not the labels. If you focus on understanding the processes, and thinking through their implications, you won't be so hung up on the variations in usage of the labels.

Last edited:
Upvote 0