• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured Why do evangelicals care so much about disproving evolution?

Discussion in 'Creation & Theistic Evolution' started by Marc Perry, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Marc Perry

Marc Perry New Member

+15
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Can't they just say that God created a world with a history?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Simul Justus et Peccator Supporter

+41,071
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Hello @Marc Perry, evolution (especially Atheistic Evolution) stands in stark contrast to what is taught in the Bible, beginning, of course, with the Creation and mankind's history in the opening chapters of Genesis (teachings which are later confirmed by the Lord and His Apostles in the NT).

Also, Atheistic Evolution has no way of explaining why everyone among us is sinful, for instance, or why wondrous things like "love" exist.

BTW, not all Evangelicals are YEC, there are many now who hold to Theistic Evolution instead.

--David

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. d taylor

d taylor Well-Known Member

+1,140
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    The question should be why do christians believe a stupid satanic lie.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+4,160
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Well this thread got off to a good start.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Marc Perry

Marc Perry New Member

+15
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    That never answered my question of why couldn't have just created a world with a history. How is that against Genesis?

6. St_Worm2

+41,071
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Hello again @Mark Perry, perhaps you should ask Him. Biblically speaking, the Earth has a history, of course, though it is vastly different and a lot shorter than Atheistic Evolutionists would have us believe ;)

--David

7. Dale

Dale Senior Veteran Supporter

+914
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat

I have had discussions with creationists for years. One of the things I've found is that they do not understand religious history, besides not understanding the natural sciences. In the minds of creationists, a couple of hundred years ago, just about everybody was religious, and there was no serious disagreement about the truths of religion. Then Charles Darwin messed everything up.

This picture is completely wrong. Simply put, there never was a time when everyone was devoutly religious. There have always been irreligious people. The rich and powerful, in particular, have always paid lip service to religion when it suited their purposes but they also ignored it (or fought it) when they had reason to.

If you were going to blame anyone for the decline of Christianity (or perceived decline), Charles Darwin isn't even the logical person to blame. Darwin never attacked Christianity.

The real Charles Darwin spent hundreds of hours looking at barnaces through a magnifying glass. He was an observer of the natural world. Creationists don't think of Darwin that way. They think of Darwin as some kind of nihilist prophet. That's why they keep making the nonsensical comment that anyone who takes evolution seriously is "following Darwin."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+1,562
    Presbyterian
    Single
    I don't care about disproving evolution, so much as I just care about the truth. And in truth, I just don't think evolution holds its weight as any more than a theory on its own two feet.

Our understanding of evolution has an impact on genetic research, stem cells, computer algorithms (simulated evolution), etc., and that's what I'm trying to achieve. I just want the truth. I just want medical research to be able to restore the cartilage in my knee and back, and restore my aging dog's kidneys and liver.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Marc Perry

Marc Perry New Member

+15
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate

I'm actually making an argument against you, too. There is no argument that can be made against, "Yep, God created it that way." As in, "God planted fossils, and astronomical history, and so forth some 10,000 years ago".

10. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+2,278
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    Because it's false. Isn't that reason enough?

11. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,309
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Generally speaking, Christians love the truth. If they do not love truth then I don't know how they can call themselves Christian. Evolution is a lie fostered by the world to keep people from God. The Bible is clear as day as to how God created the material universe. Satan hates the human race. He hates that God created us in His own image. Satan will do everything that he can to drag the people God created down to his level. For now, he is succeeding. His fate is sealed and his kingdom will be destroyed.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. ~Cassia~

~Cassia~ Psalm 65, Numbers 6:2 Supporter

+11,099
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    I guess no one has heard of the gap theory of Gen 1:1-1:2?

It truly boggles the mind the effort that goes into complicating the simplicity of God. Gap between Gen 1:1-1:2 doesn’t have to be any more complicated than that. Created vs formed. Never mind all the other stuff added to that simple theory like days thousands of years long to begin with. But the wordage of created vs formed I think speaks for itself.

After that one can begin to speak of the devil’s domain ...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  13. Marc Perry

Marc Perry New Member

+15
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    All you did is say "Because ... No". It's not a very convincing argument and did nothing to address my original post.

14. Marc Perry

Marc Perry New Member

+15
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Fine. But even if it did get absolutely proven tomorrow, why would that be a bad thing? Why couldn't God have just created it that way (the world with a history thing I said in my one sentence first post).

15. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+6,362
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    I am happily flexible on whether or not humans evolved from lesser beings. Evolution does not threaten what I am not flexible on.

16. Quartermaine

Quartermaine Well-Known Member

+1,120
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    of course evolution can explain love. maternal/child bonding. mated pair bonding and so on all have describable benefits to the individual and to the species.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+4,112
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Marc, I have no idea. I grew up in what I thought was a fairly evangelical environment, but was never taught that my faith and evolution were necessarily at odds. I wasn't taught that science was atheistic or something to be treated with skepticism or contempt. It's strange, to me. All I can think is what use to be called evangelicalism has actually become fundamentalism. But, I don't know that.

18. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+1,562
    Presbyterian
    Single
    If it got absolutely proven either way tomorrow, that would be great. It eliminates some of the guesswork in genetic research.

19. St_Worm2

+41,071
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Hello again Marc, I made no "argument against you", rather, I did my best to answer the question that you asked. Beyond that, I have no desire to debate you about this topic. Quite frankly, I really have no way of doing so anyway since I have no idea what you believe.

God bless you!

--David

20. Swag365

Swag365 Well-Known Member

+217
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    I don't know either. There is nothing to disprove, since evolution has never been proven. Nor has the theory passed the type of rigorous proof standards that are typically demanded by scientists in other fields. It is more of a pseudo-science in my opinion, although it would not bother me in the least were it true.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List