Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Not really up to us, but to God.

My wife works in infertility and often in spite of an anatomically normal uterus, normal sperm and normal ova, people still fail to conceive. Other times people have poor sperm counts or abnormal fallopian tubes, yet they conceive.
Even with all our IVF and so forth, sometimes we just fail. Conversely, in spite of all our forms of birth control, conception still occurs.

While we have tricks to increase or decrease the chance of a succesful conception and pregnancy, modern Medicine really does not have so much control over the process as we lead people to believe. If God wants a child conceived, it will be conceived and vice versa.

Reactions: ScottA
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but why conceive a child at all if the risk exists for it to be eternally damned?
We cannot really control whether one will be conceived or not. People may want a child, but whether they'll get one or not is not really up to them. If you ask why get a child at all, that is each couples own decision and thought process.

My own son was an accident in spite of modern Medicine, but he is a great blessing and I would happily accept more if God so wills.

Your children might end up drug addicts or prostitutes or whatever, so do the non-religious not factor that in? Your children make their own choices, they are separate humans. Again though, not really our choice whether to have kids or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
We cannot really control whether one will be conceived or not.

People may choose not to have intercourse and thereby avoid having any children. Why not choose that?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, there is a chance that anyone's child would die. Why have children at all and risk them being still born or falling in the pool? This is a ridiculous question. I am almost ashamed at myself for even responding to it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's amazing how Christians here are doing everything they can to pretend that they misheard the question.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
People may choose not to have intercourse and thereby avoid having any children. Why not choose that?

eudaimonia,

Mark
You can.
It will however have no effect on the amount of souls in existence as God creates a soul and not my act of intercourse. If God decides for conception to occur, then at some point a soul is added to the foetus, but human action was irrelevant to the amount of souls God chose to create.

Besides, you would miss out on one of the great joys of life, contravene scripture's injunction to be fruitful and the joys of parenthood, while not keeping a single soul out of hell in the process.

Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
You can.
It will however have no effect on the amount of souls in existence as God creates a soul and not my act of intercourse.

Are you suggesting that there are souls being created without bodies or bodies without souls?

Or is your point that God delays Armageddon until he's created his desired quota of souls?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Are you suggesting that there are souls being created without bodies or bodies without souls?

Or is your point that God delays Armageddon until he's created his desired quota of souls?

eudaimonia,

Mark
None of the above.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Then what? If my guesses are wrong, I have no idea what you are claiming.

eudaimonia,

Mark
God creates a soul when He wishes. If I have a child, God gifted the child to me and infused a soul. If I don't have a child then He didn't do this. What do you fail to understand?

God is omnipotent, so above time and therefore knows my actions before hand, ie they have already occured in the eyes of God. They are predestined even though I have yet to choose to make them. So my decision to have sex or not is completely irrelevant to the amount of souls God created.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why would atheist procreate?

Atheists don't believe in eternal torment. They don't face the same issue.

However, some Christians do believe in eternal torment. So why would they have children knowing that a child of their own might end up in eternal torment?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
God creates a soul when He wishes. If I have a child, God gifted the child to me and infused a soul. If I don't have a child then He didn't do this. What do you fail to understand?

Why do Christians (at least those who believe in eternal torment) have children when they know that children of theirs might end up in eternal torment?

I don't see how shifting the responsibility to God does anything to relieve the ethical issue of having children knowing that some of them might end up in eternal torment.

Your argument is bizarre.

God is omnipotent

I think you meant omniscient, not omnipotent.

Omniscient = all knowing
Omnipotent = all powerful

so above time and therefore knows my actions before hand, ie they have already occured [sic] in the eyes of God. They are predestined even though I have yet to choose to make them. So my decision to have sex or not is completely irrelevant to the amount of souls God created.

What does that have to do with the ethics of having children?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Atheists don't believe in eternal torment. They don't face the same issue.

However, some Christians do believe in eternal torment. So why would they have children knowing that a child of their own might end up in eternal torment?

eudaimonia,

Mark
However, atheist do believe in eternal nothingness. If all mankind is inevitably going to cease to exist, why procreate at all?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
However, atheist do believe in eternal nothingness. If all mankind is inevitably going to cease to exist, why procreate at all?

Why would eternal nothingness (after death) pose a problem here?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, that is the point of procreation?

Typically, the joys of having a family of one's own. Some people just want to become fathers or mothers. Perhaps they enjoy family life.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Reactions: Athée
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Why do Christians (at least those who believe in eternal torment) have children when they know that children of theirs might end up in eternal torment?

I don't see how shifting the responsibility to God does anything to relieve the ethical issue of having children knowing that some of them might end up in eternal torment.

Your argument is bizarre.

I think you meant omniscient, not omnipotent.

What does that have to do with the ethics of having children?

eudaimonia,

Mark
No omnipotent, for that makes God beyond time itself, which was my point.

They are separate souls. They are created by God, not by me. I created nothing. I really cannot make this clearer. You are being really abtuse, so I am done here.

Upvote 0