Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What's not to like about Fred Flinstone?
wow, can you really be this bad at understanding simple concepts? Just because I used to like Fred Flintstone doesn't mean that I still do, that is the point. Oh well....it doesn't really matter anyway if you listen to what is being said or not, some people are just like that.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
wow, can you really be this bad at understanding simple concepts? Just because I used to like Fred Flintstone doesn't mean that I still do, that is the point. Oh well....it doesn't really matter anyway if you listen to what is being said or not, some people are just like that.
It was sarcastic humor. Hehe. I couldn't help it. Just trying to keep the conversation light. Sarchasm is difficult for some people to read in a text.

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm saying that you don't know as much as you think you know.

But even more telling, you didn't address any of the points I made in exchange for pretending to know things about me that you don't know....based on your information, the best you can claim is that years ago, my favorite translations were....which is like saying that years ago I liked Fred Flintstone.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 is unequivocally talking about rape. You go ahead and tell me what version of the Bible you use, and we'll go from there. What we won't do is pretend you know ancient Hebrew. I'm sorry but in my town the circus just left so none of that business, please.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was sarcastic humor. Hehe. I couldn't help it. Just trying to keep the conversation light. Sarchasm is difficult for some people to read in a text.
Yes, it helps for me not to get razzled and flabby and blabby because of taking things the wrong way. This is how I once lost my so-called "faith" > I took Christianity to mean criticizing everyone who I thought was wrong . . . but not being at least as careful to make sure people were wise to how >I< myself could be wrong and misleading.

We can mislead attention so we are away from God, instead of with Him > then we can get in our messes, because we have not obeyed how He would take care of us in His peace >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

And we enjoy how He cares for us, in our hearts, while we pray the way He has us praying in His love >

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (in Philippians 4:6-7)

But if our faith has more to do with controlling circumstances for what we want and might emotionally be dictating, this is not faith which has us submitting to God. And our dictatorial emotions and attitudes do get us in trouble.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it helps for me not to get razzled and flabby and blabby because of taking things the wrong way. This is how I once lost my so-called "faith" > I took Christianity to mean criticizing everyone who I thought was wrong . . . but not being at least as careful to make sure people were wise to how >I< myself could be wrong and misleading.

We can mislead attention so we are away from God, instead of with Him > then we can get in our messes, because we have not obeyed how He would take care of us in His peace >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

And we enjoy how He cares for us, in our hearts, while we pray the way He has us praying in His love >

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (in Philippians 4:6-7)

But if our faith has more to do with controlling circumstances for what we want and might emotionally be dictating, this is not faith which has us submitting to God. And our dictatorial emotions and attitudes do get us in trouble.
Awesome post! This is one of my personal favorites that I have failed to follow many times.

"Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently."

Galatians 6:1

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Deuteronomy 22:28-29 is unequivocally talking about rape.
I agree. And ones can read this and try to protect and defend God, by saying it doesn't mean what it says. This is not having faith, or losing faith.

It can be like how ones in the same family with a predator can be in denial about the person being a horrible person.

Either I accept that this scripture says what it means or I don't; and God said it or it is not God's word. If it is God's word, then yes He has a good intention, somehow, for how this directive is meant to work. Ones can lose faith when they read something and right away think up all the bad things it could mean.

But even while Satan was in Heaven itself, he found problems with Heaven. He was the problem! lolololol

But God is able to create, even from the worst of things, such as how He has used the crucifixion of Jesus for the good of us. So, I am sure, that "if" He gave that order for a rapist, He knows the good which can come of it. It is a command intended for how it can be done right.

If the guy does not learn to love her dearly, he is not obeying the order. And if once he is married, he rapes someone else, that's adultery . . . death penalty for him; so it can mean she can't be stuck with a guy who doesn't change. There is another order, if I remember right, to stone a guy who doesn't straighten out. So, this command it is meant with hope for a wrong person to repent, and for there to be forgiveness. Jesus on the cross shows God has hope for any evil person to change for the better. This is included in the meaning.

But if people have never even started in "faith working through love" (Galatians 5:6) and how love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7), they can have anti-love interpretations of the Bible, then lose their "faith" when they can't "protect" or "defend" God against how ones make themselves dictators of what God has to mean by something. Ones have not done well, making themselves God's dictators! God is better and smarter :)

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I agree. And ones can read this and try to protect and defend God, by saying it doesn't mean what it says. This is not having faith, or losing faith.

It can be like how ones in the same family with a predator can be in denial about the person being a horrible person.

Either I accept that this scripture says what it means or I don't; and God said it or it is not God's word. If it is God's word, then yes He has a good intention, somehow, for how this directive is meant to work. Ones can lose faith when they read something and right away think up all the bad things it could mean.

But even while Satan was in Heaven itself, he found problems with Heaven. He was the problem! lolololol

But God is able to create, even from the worst of things, such as how He has used the crucifixion of Jesus for the good of us. So, I am sure, that "if" He gave that order for a rapist, He knows the good which can come of it. It is a command intended for how it can be done right.

If the guy does not learn to love her dearly, he is not obeying the order. And if once he is married, he rapes someone else, that's adultery . . . death penalty for him; so it can mean she can't be stuck with a guy who doesn't change. There is another order, if I remember right, to stone a guy who doesn't straighten out. So, this command it is meant with hope for a wrong person to repent, and for there to be forgiveness. Jesus on the cross shows God has hope for any evil person to change for the better. This is included in the meaning.

But if people have never even started in "faith working through love" (Galatians 5:6) and how love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7), they can have anti-love interpretations of the Bible, then lose their "faith" when they can't "protect" or "defend" God against how ones make themselves dictators of what God has to mean by something. Ones have not done well, making themselves God's dictators! God is better and smarter :)

I am shocked by your display of honesty. I don't see that much on these forums. Thank you for taking the time to write that.

This was not what caused me to lose my faith. It wasn't any one thing by itself. But things like this are a small brushstroke in a painted picture of who the Old Testament God was and how little he cared about women.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Deuteronomy 22:28-29 is unequivocally talking about rape. You go ahead and tell me what version of the Bible you use, and we'll go from there. What we won't do is pretend you know ancient Hebrew. I'm sorry but in my town the circus just left so none of that business, please.
Huh? We took it straight back to the translation of the original text, iow's modern translations aren't important, knowing what the original word means is. And no, like I already said, we don't need to know ancient greek, hebrew and aramaic, cause that is what the Lexicon does, it translates for us...as someone who supposedly is basing your bias on the Bible and not man's traditions, I find it hard to believe that you don't know what a Lexicon is or how to use it, cause it is one absolutely vital tool for knowing the intent of scripture. But wait a moment....this whole discussion began when I said that some lose faith because their faith is based on man's traditions not on scripture and you want to argue about that, only to show time and time again that I am right on the matter.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, you said that you "never said what your favorite versions are."
I once had a land line phone, do you want to claim I have one now as well? Cause that would be the equivalent of this stupid argument, which is easy to settle, just ask me what my favorite translation is rather than take a very old statement that was provided before many of the new translations even existed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am shocked by your display of honesty. I don't see that much on these forums. Thank you for taking the time to write that.

This was not what caused me to lose my faith. It wasn't any one thing by itself. But things like this are a small brushstroke in a painted picture of who the Old Testament God was and how little he cared about women.
Actually, though I wouldn't expect some here to believe or understand this, God was the woman's rights activist of the day....iow's He cared very deeply about women and protecting them and giving them more power than they had been given by the world. It's easy to see when we study the Bible for what it says not for what we want it to say.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This was not what caused me to lose my faith. It wasn't any one thing by itself.
In my case, Nihil, I have "lost" belief when I got into intellectual analyzing, instead of personal trusting of God. But most of all, in my case, has been how I have needed to get a clue how to love. My character has been my real problem. And the Bible has helped me a lot, to find out how Jesus wants us to love any and all people, and how to relate.

But things like this are a small brushstroke in a painted picture of who the Old Testament God was and how little he cared about women.
I think I am familiar with what people are painting. And one thing I think of is how we the body of Jesus are His Bride church. We certainly are less than He is! And it is for our own good, how we stay "under" :)

So, do we mean, then, that women are less than men and so they need to stay low? No. I see how women were very highly appreciated by men, in the early scripture. Abigail helped to rescue David from making a very big mistake, and so he married her. But then he betrayed her by going with Bathsheba . . . leaving such a real woman. Who was inferior, there?

But, too, the men could be the ones who could get killed and cut in pieces in battle. So, I'm curious why ones are saying the women were getting the worst deal :) And the guys could be getting the sun stroke out in the field.

So . . . may be the Bible is a "design play" to bring out each person's character and motives > Hebrews 4:11-13.

There are plenty of times when the Bible has caught me with my pants down, and I might want to just reject the Bible. Or, I can trust God to do with me what He pleases, according to how He understands His word. And what I gain is how He has me find out how to love, in His correction, not only according to my standards.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Huh? We took it straight back to the translation of the original text, iow's modern translations aren't important, knowing what the original word means is. And no, like I already said, we don't need to know ancient greek, hebrew and aramaic, cause that is what the Lexicon does, it translates for us...as someone who supposedly is basing your bias on the Bible and not man's traditions, I find it hard to believe that you don't know what a Lexicon is or how to use it, cause it is one absolutely vital tool for knowing the intent of scripture. But wait a moment....this whole discussion began when I said that some lose faith because their faith is based on man's traditions not on scripture and you want to argue about that, only to show time and time again that I am right on the matter.

In order to actually translate, you need to be fully fluent in both languages. Let me give you an example.

The verb phrase "get out" can mean two different things. "Get out of here" or "get out your wallet." If one is translating from English to another language and focuses only on "get out," then they might get the translation wrong. You have to not only know the language but the culture. And you are NOT an expert. I doubt you even have a Bachelor's degree. For you to bumble along and say the translators all got it wrong because you would otherwise find the content objectionable is simply laughable.

I once had a land line phone, do you want to claim I have one now as well? Cause that would be the equivalent of this stupid argument, which is easy to settle, just ask me what my favorite translation is rather than take a very old statement that was provided before many of the new translations even existed.

I already asked you this in post#83.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In my case, Nihil, I have "lost" belief when I got into intellectual analyzing, instead of personal trusting of God. But most of all, in my case, has been how I have needed to get a clue how to love. My character has been my real problem. And the Bible has helped me a lot, to find out how Jesus wants us to love any and all people, and how to relate.

I think I am familiar with what people are painting. And one thing I think of is how we the body of Jesus are His Bride church. We certainly are less than He is! And it is for our own good, how we stay "under" :)

So, do we mean, then, that women are less than men and so they need to stay low? No. I see how women were very highly appreciated by men, in the early scripture. Abigail helped to rescue David from making a very big mistake, and so he married her. But then he betrayed her by going with Bathsheba . . . leaving such a real woman. Who was inferior, there?

But, too, the men could be the ones who could get killed and cut in pieces in battle. So, I'm curious why ones are saying the women were getting the worst deal :) And the guys could be getting the sun stroke out in the field.

So . . . may be the Bible is a "design play" to bring out each person's character and motives > Hebrews 4:11-13.

There are plenty of times when the Bible has caught me with my pants down, and I might want to just reject the Bible. Or, I can trust God to do with me what He pleases, according to how He understands His word. And what I gain is how He has me find out how to love, in His correction, not only according to my standards.

Um, you already acknowledged that the Bible compels a rapist to marry his victim. Presumably you understand that she is more or less forced to accept him as her husband because of the structure of society, although ultimately it is up to her. So then you do understand that she will be raped at his whim until one of them dies. As long as he doesn't cheat on her, the arrangement will continue with God's blessing.

So don't you dare say the Bible is fair to women.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In order to actually translate, you need to be fully fluent in both languages. Let me give you an example.

The verb phrase "get out" can mean two different things. "Get out of here" or "get out your wallet." If one is translating from English to another language and focuses only on "get out," then they might get the translation wrong. You have to not only know the language but the culture. And you are NOT an expert. I doubt you even have a Bachelor's degree. For you to bumble along and say the translators all got it wrong because you would otherwise find the content objectionable is simply laughable.
well, the Lexicon goes into all of that, but in addition, my husband (no not me but we talk a lot) has studied both ancient biblical hebrew and greek...so do you want to try again? In addition, none of the possibles listed in the Lexicon gives rape as a possible.
I already asked you this in post#83.
your question was "loaded" in that you want to try to use man's interpretation, that is man's tradition over scripture interpretation when my whole point is that we need to do away with man's traditions in exchange for biblical translation....but you know that by now, your just trying to be difficult, presumably because you have been shown wrong time and again

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Um, you already acknowledged that the Bible compels a rapist to marry his victim.
really? so consensual sex is not forcing a rape victim to marry her rapist....wow, I'm glad you are not trying the case of the person close to me that was recently raped. As I pointed out, according to rules of comprehension, the text you are referring to suggests the case you are referring to is consensual sex, not rape. The problem is that you are so determined to follow man's traditions on the matter that you refuse the Biblical standpoint which is one reason so many fall away.
Presumably you understand that she is more or less forced to accept him as her husband because of the structure of society, although ultimately it is up to her. So then you do understand that she will be raped at his whim until one of them dies. As long as he doesn't cheat on her, the arrangement will continue with God's blessing.
see above...you just repeating your assumptions doesn't show any reason for the interpretation I point out through context and translation....iow's your just making my point more obvious.
So don't you dare say the Bible is fair to women.
I will say it now and later and every day in between....now, at the same time, I will tell you that man's interpretation or traditions of what the bible says is not fair to woman, in fact, I don't know a time in history that man's traditional understanding of scripture has ever been "fair" to woman...scripture on the other hand, has always been "fair" and "liberating" to woman...but then again, that is the point, isn't it? !

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
well, the Lexicon goes into all of that, but in addition, my husband (no not me but we talk a lot) has studied both ancient biblical hebrew and greek...so do you want to try again?

Ask your husband if the Jews had a word for rape back then.

https://seerstone.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/rape/

Because there are several stories of rape in the Bible (Lot's daughters rape him; the Levite's concubine is raped to death in Judges 19; there is the rape of Tamar and the rape of Dinah) and none of them use the word "rape" although it is quite clear that rape is occurring.

Essentially you're searching for something that doesn't exist and then claiming victory when you don't find it. It is quite comical and you have no clue what you're talking about.

In addition, none of the possibles listed in the Lexicon gives rape as a possible.

Again, you don't know the ancient Hebrew word for rape (since it did not exist).

your question was "loaded" in that you want to try to use man's interpretation, that is man's tradition over scripture interpretation when my whole point is that we need to do away with man's traditions in exchange for biblical translation....but you know that by now, your just trying to be difficult, presumably because you have been shown wrong time and again

So you tell me I need to ask you your favorite translation, and then you retreat to this? Well guess what, you heard about Christianity from man. Man taught it to you, man convinced you of it, man invented it.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ask your husband if the Jews had a word for rape back then.

https://seerstone.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/rape/
that is why context is vital to our understanding...duh...your objections here are so lame that I really am not going to go round and round tonight since I do have a headache already and your circular reasoning attempt to justify your claims will only make my headache worse.
Because there are several stories of rape in the Bible (Lot's daughters rape him; the Levite's concubine is raped to death in Judges 19; there is the rape of Tamar and the rape of Dinah) and none of them use the word "rape" although it is quite clear that rape is occurring.
yep....but we are not questioning if rape is talked about in the Bible, now are we? No, we are talking about what the passage in question tells us about rape and it is in context pretty clear as I pointed out to you but you refuse to address those points.
Essentially you're searching for something that doesn't exist and then claiming victory when you don't find it. It is quite comical and you have no clue what you're talking about.
how so? Seriously, I even pointed out to you that in some of the context, it was clearly talking about rape, yet here you try to assassinate my character by claiming or attempting to claim that I never said such.

Do you know what rule of the forum that is breaking? I agree that some of that is talking about rape, duh, but some, in context is not. That is clear from context and word study. Please stop trying to assassinate my character with false accusations and insinuations or I will be forced at address the issue as per forum rules.
Again, you don't know the ancient Hebrew word for rape (since it did not exist).
which is why context is important and necessary to our understanding, a context that you refuse to address.
So you tell me I need to ask you your favorite translation, and then you retreat to this? Well guess what, you heard about Christianity from man. Man taught it to you, man convinced you of it, man invented it.
What are you talking about? I have repeatedly told you from the get go that translations were man made and thus the traditions of man that we should dismiss in exchange for study of the word, only to have you come here and try to slander my character even further with this accusation....seriously, if you want to try to get under my skin and start a flaming war, at least do so with something I didn't repeatedly say and clarify so that your posts at least look they are are trying to be honest.

As to how I came to believe, no, it was NOT through man and I continue to study scripture rather than man, it is a quest of sorts....but that is off topic as well.

Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
ASking for clarity nothing more or less at this point....are you suggesting that living for Christ is all about doing away with the discomforts of life? .

No, not at all. More looking at whether some of the terrible vicissitudes affecting people, including some I have known personally, an really fit into a universe where the top level of authority is omnipotent and benevolent, when for just one option a capricious or cruel deity might seem a better fit to the observable universe.
That such affect Christians too is an extra consideration.
I'm not prepared to say of those who lost their struggle that they were in any wise lacking as faithful Christians.
If they were, then I don't know any Christian who can trust their own standing.

But then when circumstances don't appear to match the bible, I'm prepared to doubt the bible rather declaring the bible right and the appearances of necessity mistaken.
I'd say I know the bible too well to trust it.
(if you come to it with trust or faith the problem does not arise, which is a *different* problem!)

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
that is why context is vital to our understanding...duh...your objections here are so lame that I really am not going to go round and round tonight since I do have a headache already and your circular reasoning attempt to justify your claims will only make my headache worse. yep....but we are not questioning if rape is talked about in the Bible, now are we? No, we are talking about what the passage in question tells us about rape and it is in context pretty clear as I pointed out to you but you refuse to address those points. how so? Seriously, I even pointed out to you that in some of the context, it was clearly talking about rape, yet here you try to assassinate my character by claiming or attempting to claim that I never said such.

Do you know what rule of the forum that is breaking? I agree that some of that is talking about rape, duh, but some, in context is not. That is clear from context and word study. Please stop trying to assassinate my character with false accusations and insinuations or I will be forced at address the issue as per forum rules. which is why context is important and necessary to our understanding, a context that you refuse to address. What are you talking about? I have repeatedly told you from the get go that translations were man made and thus the traditions of man that we should dismiss in exchange for study of the word, only to have you come here and try to slander my character even further with this accusation....seriously, if you want to try to get under my skin and start a flaming war, at least do so with something I didn't repeatedly say and clarify so that your posts at least look they are are trying to be honest.

As to how I came to believe, no, it was NOT through man and I continue to study scripture rather than man, it is a quest of sorts....but that is off topic as well.

OK so you want to deny that Deuteronomy 22:28-29 is talking about rape. I can't force you to stop lying.

May I just ask you why you trust the current rendition of the Bible if you know that it has contradictions and if you know that no original Biblical manuscript exists? I mean, if no originals exist then all we have is what's been copied by men... fallible men.

You say you don't trust men, but you trust scripture. But scripture was copied (imperfectly) by hand by men.

Upvote 0