Why do Christians get married? Serious question

Jan 1, 2012
✟7,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So much is going through my mind. I feel i know more of what God desires to happen IN Christian marriage than God's PURPOSE of marriage. Personally, I'm starting to feel If I do not know God's purpose of marriage,I would not consider getting married to a man I'm in love with.

I have always felt Christian marriages (Christian marrying Christians) are to be for God's glory,where it builds on the Gospel. I know of what God has planned in the role of the wife and husband based on Ephesians 5.

But the big question, is what is the purpose of Marriage? If a man or woman is in Christ, and lives for God's glory,what encourages a Christian to get married?

What motivates a Christian to remain single and what motivates a Christian to get married if either status is acceptable in God's eyes?

Thanks I really look forward in hearing your perspectives, scriptures would help too! :)

Last edited:

Cre8iveMom

Jan 3, 2012
✟7,655.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Most Christians that I know have a desire to be married and have children. I don't believe that staying single is wrong, as long as you live a pure, God centered life. That might be the plan God has for you, to minister to others as a single person.
I have always had a desire to have a partner in life, and to raise children in a Godly home. (And falling in love with someone who had the same desires too!) But it's funny, I was not granted the desire of my heart until I gave that desire up to God and knew that I could and would be happy as a single.

I think that whatever ministry God wants you to have, He will give your heart a desire. Either to seek a partner in life and ministry, or to serve Him as a single person.
I hope that this helps your understanding and I'm sorry, I don't have any scripture for you right now, but I will see if I can find a few verses for you!
God bless you in your search on this issue!

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Many do it because they will sin sexually or have lust and they want it to be blessed by God so they marry. Also because we are called by the Bible to marry it glorifies God if done in the right way and can do good for the kingdom if done the right way. Marriage is difficult and through those trials it pulls us closer to God and makes our relationship with him stronger as well as with our spouse. God has a special place for marriage and sex and that is why we do it he created it just for us. =]

Genesis 2:24-25 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.

Mark 10:6-9 But from the beginning of creation, ‘God made them male and female. Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.”

1 Corinthians 7:1-11 Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟121,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I got married in order to show my husband that I wanted a life time commitment with him. Placing a covenant between us-- and with God-- I feel blesses our relationship in a special way that "just dating" or "just living together" does not provide. Knowing that covenant is between myself and my husband, I also feel, provides stability to our lives.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I got married because I wanted to face life as a team and not an individual. I was willing to give up my individuality for the common good of a team/family. The only thing I really ever wanted to be when I grew up was a wife and a mother. So this was the right option for me....(after I took a long time to find the right teammate).

• Winner
Reactions: Willing-heart
Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I studied I Corinthians as a young teen and knew that some people were cut out for celibacy, and others for marriage. As I went through puberty, I realized I was cut out for marriage. So I sought a godly wife, and prayed and asked God to bring her to me. Sure enough, He did, showing us in numerous ways we were for each other. And we got married, and are both happy we did.

Upvote 0

MLEN

Aug 4, 2009
✟8,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I met my husband, I was neither seeking to get married nor to remain single. But I was very in tune with my relationship with God. And I know that I only wanted to do his (God's) will for my life no matter what. When we met, both my husband and I were (and still are) Christians. He, on the other hand, had been praying for a wife before we met. I do know that once we met and got to know each other I knew that I wanted to be with him for the rest of my life. And since I trusted that God was leading my life at the time that I met him, I can honestly say that I know I was led by God to meet, fall in love with and marry my husband. God knew that my husband was the right one for me and that the timing of our marriage was within his will for my life. We've been married for almost 10 years now and have two children. Looking back over our married life together, I see where I have grown in my Christian walk because of our marriage. So, it makes sense to me that a Christian should want to get married because that is the desire and plan that God has put in their heart according to God's divine timing and provided that God has chosen that mate for you. If this is the case, then that marriage will both draw the individual partners closer to God and glorify God in the end.

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
First, because Adam was created to feel loneliness APART from having a relationship with God. So for most people this loneliness(which includes sexual loneliness) is properly met in marriage.

Second, it is a way that we can reflect the image of God as a couple--

"So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them." Genesis 1:27

Third is to bear children, the joy they bring, and blessing to His Kingdom.

Upvote 0

OnlyBelieve

Follower of Jesus
Jan 17, 2012
Australia
✟18,006.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
"So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them." Genesis 1:27
This sums it up so well iambren!
We are two parts of one whole, man and woman. We complete each other. Men and Women are "wired" differently, Women seek security from marriage, a man to look after her, stand up for her, and so on. Men are different in that they seek acceptance and respect from a marriage. A big part of Acceptance for a man is sex. It is how God made them. and unless you are called to be single, it can be harder for a man to be alone than a woman.
I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem with this question is its really two questions in one.

Why did you choose to be married? and Why did you marry this particular person. And the problem is they are two completely different questions entirely.

Why did I choose to get married. . . for sex and companionship. I like Link realized I was not cut out for celibacy. I also didn't want to live the rest of my life on my own.

Why did I marry my wife? Well once I decided that I wanted to be married, I wanted a Lutheran woman who was committed to her faith, was enjoyable to be around, someone I could work with, was attracted to, and she is someone who is easy to love.

If I had not choose to get married, I would not have met my wife because I was seeking someone to marry. If I had choosen not to get married I would not have sought out anyone to marry. So the choice to get married came first, well before I picked the particular person. I picked marriage over singleness just because I wanted to have sex and I didn't want to spend my life alone. I picked the particular person based on qualifcations that I felt would be a good fit to spend my life with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So much is going through my mind. I feel i know more of what God desires to happen IN Christian marriage than God's PURPOSE of marriage. Personally, I'm starting to feel If I do not know God's purpose of marriage,I would not consider getting married to a man I'm in love with.

I have always felt Christian marriages (Christian marrying Christians) are to be for God's glory,where it builds on the Gospel. I know of what God has planned in the role of the wife and husband based on Ephesians 5.

But the big question, is what is the purpose of Marriage? If a man or woman is in Christ, and lives for God's glory,what encourages a Christian to get married?

What motivates a Christian to remain single and what motivates a Christian to get married if either status is acceptable in God's eyes?

Thanks I really look forward in hearing your perspectives, scriptures would help too! :)
I could not imagine staying single. Paul may have preferred to be single, but I have been one of those who "burned". I like the Message version of 1 Cor 7:1-9.

Now, getting down to the questions you asked in your letter to me. First, Is it a good thing to have sexual relations? Certainly—but only within a certain context. It's good for a man to have a wife, and for a woman to have a husband. Sexual drives are strong, but marriage is strong enough to contain them and provide for a balanced and fulfilling sexual life in a world of sexual disorder. The marriage bed must be a place of mutuality—the husband seeking to satisfy his wife, the wife seeking to satisfy her husband. Marriage is not a place to "stand up for your rights." Marriage is a decision to serve the other, whether in bed or out. Abstaining from sex is permissible for a period of time if you both agree to it, and if it's for the purposes of prayer and fasting—but only for such times. Then come back together again. Satan has an ingenious way of tempting us when we least expect it. I'm not, understand, commanding these periods of abstinence—only providing my best counsel if you should choose them. Sometimes I wish everyone were single like me—a simpler life in many ways! But celibacy is not for everyone any more than marriage is. God gives the gift of the single life to some, the gift of the married life to others.

I do, though, tell the unmarried and widows that singleness might well be the best thing for them, as it has been for me. But if they can't manage their desires and emotions, they should by all means go ahead and get married. The difficulties of marriage are preferable by far to a sexually tortured life as a single.
The desire for sex, and to have children, and to have companionship and not go through life without any of those were reasons that compelled me to marry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dont knwo why "Christians" get marreid..by that I mean I wouldnt be foolish enough to think their is a one size fits all why ANYONE gets marreid let alone a particular group..Anyway I got married because I decided I wanted to see my now husband everyday for the rest of my life..with very few exceptions..there is...has been and most likely will be no one else in my life that I see everyday of my life..and is my companion through many of my personal details in my life from small to big..someone to live with and know beyond anyone else on earth..1 out of 7 billion people will get to see ME everyday...HIM..what a lucky fella he is.. :D

One person who will know me the best ..and who i will see everyday rain or shine is why I got married..to have a special bond with one person for a lifetime..actually I wouldnt have gotten married at the time I did if it werent for him..he was very insistant..so why I married WHEN i did was becasue if I wanted HIM in particular to be my husband forever it was a now or never type of thing..so in that sense I only "got married' to be able to be with him for the rest of my life specifically..

I could have marreid quite a few other fellas by the way ..and I wouldnt have marreid them on a now or never basis no way..only Andy..the other ones as far as Im concerned could have gone and flown a kite...

Dallas

Upvote 0

Tom Sawyer

May 13, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟16,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Great question. Thank you. Biblically speaking the reasons for marriage are multiple; to raise of children to the Lord, to grow in faith, to be a witness as a picture of Christ and the Church, to provide societal support and to avoid fornication. There can also be great joy, although this is not a primary purpose.

Upvote 0