Why do Christians continue to celebrate Christmas?

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
When the eyes are glazed over, and the used car you're about to buy has no motor or wheels or transmission, OR after you bought it, and someone knows the title is no good (stolen car),
wouldn't you want to be alerted to that ? Would that be what you call pressure to not buy it ?

That's not exactly how I would describe Jesus though, and when people use hard sell pressure to try to get me not to "buy" celebrating his arrival, his life, and his resurrection, then I have to wonder where that influence is coming from.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. I’ve also noticed another thing from these anti-Christmas folks. I don’t find any joy or happiness in their posts. While those of us who celebrate Christmas were taking time to wish each other a blessed Christmas, those opposed to Christmas couldn’t be bothered to even tell us to have a nice day.

And remember Christmas is not yet over. I will be leaving my tree up until Twelthnight.

Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot.
But the Grinch who lived just North of Whoville did not!

The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.

It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
It could be his head wasn't screwed on just right.

But I think that the most likely reason of all
May have been that his heart was two sizes too small.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you for the information. I did not do any research on the cross. If what you write is accurate and correct, then I have no problem revising my view to oppose the symbol of the cross. Any more questions?

So you didn't research the origins of the cross, a symbol in daily use by Christians, but had time to research wreaths and other symbols used for one holiday. BTW, if you do research the cross I hope you find a more valid source than what you used for your research on Christmas.

The Romans were pagans. They used the wreath as a symbol of the activity of their gods. You use that very symbol and just attribute your own meaning to it when the symbol orginated with pagan belief and practice. Although the Romans no longer exist, how the wreath came to be never dies. Just because you "repurpose" it, does not change it's original purpose and symbolism.

Of course it changes its symbolism. The ancient Romans are gone. The ancient Celts are gone. The ancient Goths are gone. The wreath has whatever symbolism we choose to attribute to it. No one looks at a wreath today and believes it symbolizes Apollo.

That is a fact that appears to escape your comprehension.

Because what you are saying makes no sense to me, and obviously not to others in this thread.

The Israelites in the desert repurposed the depiction of the Egyptian bull god Ra and made a golden calf. Guess what happened to them?

When they made the golden calf the Israelites worshiped the God that their former Egyptian masters had worshiped. When I hang a Christmas wreath I am not worshipping Apollo.

Unlike yourself, when I learn new information that if valid, counters my belief I have no problem changing my view in the case with respect to the cross. How about you??

The fact that some ancient cultures used the cross in worship has no bearing on what I see when I look at the cross.

The original meaning does not change just because you give it a new meaning.

Then go find Christians who believe that they are worshipping Apollo when they hang a Christmas wreath. I don't think you will find any out there.

Would you hang a pentagram shaped object on your nice Christmas tree??

No, but I have triquetra on my tree, and ancient German and Celtic symbol. It has been used by Christians to represent the Trinity for over 1000 years.

That is simply ludicrous. You cited Penn to establish religious freedom meaning Christians were free to do anything they wanted. However, it is quite obvious by their practice of not celebrating Christmas at the time that they were not free to do anything they wanted as Christmas was forbidden. You have committed the logical fallacy of overgeneralizing. You and I have free speech but we don't have the freedom to yell "fire" in the movie theater do we?

This is getting ludicrous because you are making stuff up. I never wrote that "christians were free to do anything they wanted."

In Post 157 I was replying top a post in which you wrote the following:

"If you were living at the time of the Puritans in the 1600's you would be in the tiny fringe. They did not believe Christmas should be observed. This "baptism" of pagan rites and festivals by the Roman Catholic and the vast majority of the Protestant Churches, was totally rejected by the Puritans."

In my reply I wrote this:

"No, I would not have been in that tiny fringe had I been living at the time of the Puritans, because I would not have been a Puritan. Thankfully I am from Pennsylvania where William Penn knew the importance of religious freedom."

Now, did I say anywhere in there that "christians were free to do anything they wanted" as you falsely claimed? No, I did not. I await your apology.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot.
But the Grinch who lived just North of Whoville did not!

The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.

It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
It could be his head wasn't screwed on just right.

But I think that the most likely reason of all
May have been that his heart was two sizes too small.

Yep — and...

kqHjUq1.png

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Looks like we get to hang out until Easter before the Pagan Detectors turn out again to rage against the celebration of our Lord's death and glorious Resurrection. It's all pagan, you see. -sigh- Kyrie eleison.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Looks like we get to hang out until Easter before the Pagan Detectors turn out again to rage against the celebration of our Lord's death and glorious Resurrection. It's all pagan, you see. -sigh- Kyrie eleison.
Sad but true. They will be back.

• Agree
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What's evil are all the cookies and milk Santa has to consume. It's no wonder he's...jolly....

If around 200 million households put out cookies and milk, and that's about 300 calories apiece...that's 60 billion calories Santa has to consume on Christmas Eve. Based on that, I have to believe sometimes Santa has to pull the sleigh--not just the reindeer. Even after all that, he still runs around a 20,000 calorie surplus.

So please, kids, leave your cookies and milk in the refrigerator. We don't need a season of Biggest Loser:Christmas Edition. Jillian Michaels throwing Santa on the ground, screaming "GIVE ME 25 PUSHUPS!! You can do it!!"

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Last year at Christmas I was I Thailand. I spent the good part of the day at the dentist getting my teeth done. Christmas is a non issue there!
With good reason—isn’t Thailand largely Buddhist?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And remember Christmas is not yet over. I will be leaving my tree up until Twelthnight.

Ah yes, the Julian Calendar and Armenian folks still have to celebrate their Christmas! Merry Christmases!

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When it's roots are clearly founded in pagan beliefs. The idea of 'Santa' and his reindeer's are satanic. No where does it say in the Bible that Jesus was born on the 25th December. It blows my mind that Christians today are still celebrating this pagan holiday?

I celebrate it because it's a nice thing to do, it's a good tradition, it's fun, and because I like Christmas lights.

Also what about Jan 6 and 7? Are those bad days too?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I celebrate it because it's a nice thing to do, it's a good tradition, it's fun, and because I like Christmas lights.

Also what about Jan 6 and 7? Are those bad days too?
Merry Christmas Yekcidmij!

Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0