Why do Christians believe comfort and help are the same thing?

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟173,592.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Comforting someone who is sad or desperate is by definition helping them. What else do you expect people to do on the internet?

If you think that comforting verses from the Bible are no help then I guess you don't take God seriously on what he says. Of course those verses are just empty phrases when you don't trust God on what He says.

• Agree
Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
people are all unique; and none are perfect (except Jesus of course) - i know someone who seems to be angry and bitter toward the only One that can help them with something they desperately need... :)

Upvote 0

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Comforting someone who is sad or desperate is by definition helping them. What else do you expect people to do on the internet?

If you think that comforting verses from the Bible are no help then I guess you don't take God seriously on what he says. Of course those verses are just empty phrases when you don't trust God on what He says.
Comforting is not help. Helping changes the situation. Comforting makes you feel better about the situation.
Example: you’ve been shot and are bleeding out. Would you rather have someone comfort you by telling you it will be alright, there’s a plan, or someone else was shot so you should be grateful your shot too, or a person calling an ambulance a trying to stop the bleeding? The first person is comforting you, the second is helping you.

Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟673,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think most Christians (people) try to both comfort and help when they can. They say "you're going to be alright" as they apply pressure to the wound. The only conflation might be the belief that comforting is a integral part of helping, not something totally different.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Many times people seeking help are given verses meant to comfort people through times of trouble and not actually helped. They are given those verses as if they were the same thing. Why do most Christians conflate the two?
Because they don’t want to help them.

• Winner
Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Comforting is not help. Helping changes the situation. Comforting makes you feel better about the situation.
Example: you’ve been shot and are bleeding out. Would you rather have someone comfort you by telling you it will be alright, there’s a plan, or someone else was shot so you should be grateful your shot too, or a person calling an ambulance a trying to stop the bleeding? The first person is comforting you, the second is helping you.
Looks like you are agreeing with:
Faith and Deeds James 2
14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

And those who can do nothing but pray are relying on:
James 1
16 Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows

Upvote 0

AWorkInProgress

A fool becoming wise
Jan 18, 2007
Glendale, AZ
✟89,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many times people seeking help are given verses meant to comfort people through times of trouble and not actually helped. They are given those verses as if they were the same thing. Why do most Christians conflate the two?

Salvation is required for both to work. Before Christ, my comfort was my vices I used to escape the pain I was in. After Christ, my comfort is knowing that I know that God is very much in control, and I can take him at his Word, and I cling to it like a life jacket while I am adrift in the sea.

If Jesus hasn't saved you from your sins, and you haven't received a new heart. Then the scriptures are foolishness to you and serve you not.

Upvote 0